Hawks that never reached their potential and drove you nuts

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
and I am not talking about the obvious draft busts. I am talking about the player that you watched and couldn't believe with their skill set that they weren't a perennial pro-bowler.

I would have to say my short list would be Anthony Simmons, Maurice Morris, and Chris Warren.

Anthony Simmons had all the talent in the world but seemed unmotivated and would disappear in games and look incredible in others.

Mo Morris was caught behind Alexander but I think he was under utilized and would have been a pretty good feature back when he was younger before he went to Detroit.

Chris Warren had the size and the speed but no toughness whatsoever.

OP
OP
bevellisthedevil

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
It seemed that Tubbs was injured all the time but when he was healthy he seemed to jump off the screen. I agree.

hawk45

Reaction score
I don't remember Mo Morris being that super-talented? I remember him being a quick undersized guy with some hands who we never thought would stand up to the pounding an everyday RB had to take in the NFL.

Simmons I'm with. Warren...Warren did pretty well. He was as tough as Shaun Alexander, if he'd have run behind the same line he'd have done pretty well.

Curry pissed me off obviously, mainly because he had all the chances in the world and everyone waited breathlessly for him to do something every game, and made crazy excuses when he didn't, pointing out things that could only be seen after 5 rewatches in slow motion as evidence of his impact. So Curry was the most frustrating for me. I'm not sure if this meets the criteria from the OP, but then I'm not sure I understand the criteria given. In most cases the obvious draft busts are going to be the guys who failed to utilize a pro bowl skillset.

Koren Robinson would be the other one for me, and in that case it was less him than Holmgren's childlike stubbornness in keeping the guy on the field instead of just going in another direction.

HawkWow

Reaction score
The big O lineman from Wisc. I've forgotten his name (Mc...?). Warren was actually very productive for us but yes, he was frustrating as well. Koren has to be on this list. Fo sure. Anyone remember that Curry guy? I won't delve into the QBs. This could end up the longest thread in .net history.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Derrick Fenner (hence my avatar)

A beast that scored 15 TDs in one season - and then...

Bah...

JSeahawks

Reaction score
storm74":23utzwij said:
and I am not talking about the obvious draft busts. I am talking about the player that you watched and couldn't believe with their skill set that they weren't a perennial pro-bowler.

I would have to say my short list would be Anthony Simmons, Maurice Morris, and Chris Warren.

Anthony Simmons had all the talent in the world but seemed unmotivated and would disappear in games and look incredible in others.

Mo Morris was caught behind Alexander but I think he was under utilized and would have been a pretty good feature back when he was younger before he went to Detroit.

I dont get Chris Warren's inclusion on the list. IMO he's one of the biggest over achiever's in Seahawks history.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":t8uc7a8a said:
The big O lineman from Wisc. I've forgotten his name (Mc...?). Warren was actually very productive for us but yes, he was frustrating as well. Koren has to be on this list. Fo sure. Anyone remember that Curry guy? I won't delve into the QBs. This could end up the longest thread in .net history.
Chris McIntosh. Ya, he shoulda been good, but got some kind of nerve issue and just had to quit.

For me, I think TE John Carlson should have been much better than he wound up being.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
HawkWow":3c9qnpyj said:
you mean Chris McIntosh? Drafted the same year as S. Alexander. year 2000 - 22nd pick overall. started 10 games, played in 14. he had bad knees, IIRC
I remember thinking that was a waste of a pick at the time.

OP
OP
bevellisthedevil

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3nc9gub1 said:
storm74":3nc9gub1 said:

I dont get Chris Warren's inclusion on the list. IMO he's one of the biggest over achiever's in Seahawks history.

Maybe I remember more of Warren during the twilight of his career when he couldn't break any tackles anymore and would just fall down like a sack of potatoes ala Alexanders last year or two.

BobinLaConner

Reaction score
I think Aaron Curry was my pick for biggest celebration by me when we drafted and then biggest disappointment. He just seemed like a sure-thing, safe pick to build our team around, but just never played up to his potential. We saw glimpses of his freakish athleticism, but it was outweighed by him looking overwhelmed with the play.

If it is any consolation... I still have my signed Rick Meier and Dan McGuire trading cards to remind me of some other disappointments. I guess we always held out hope on one or two draft picks, but now with Pete and John it sure is more exciting.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":3lpoo0h3 said:
HawkWow":3lpoo0h3 said:
Chris McIntosh. Ya, he shoulda been good, but got some kind of nerve issue and just had to quit.

For me, I think TE John Carlson should have been much better than he wound up being.

That's the culprit. I say that tongue in cheek because like you said, he had some serious problems. I think it was the neck. Byron Franklin was another (oft-injured) Hawk that I had great expectations for.

Someone mentioned Simmons and man...did he have all of the tools? I don't know if there was another speciman at the LB position, at that time, like him. He sort've blazed the way for today's brand of insanely fast, strong LBs.

Boz is sure to get a mention soon. I will resist that temptation because of circumstances beyond his control (ala McIntosh).

HawkWow

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":3ob2nsjg said:
HawkWow":3ob2nsjg said:
you mean Chris McIntosh? Drafted the same year as S. Alexander. year 2000 - 22nd pick overall. started 10 games, played in 14. he had bad knees, IIRC
I remember thinking that was a waste of a pick at the time.

Was it is knees?? I thought it was neck. Apparently he was a mess. I hope he is doing well with whatever occupation he secured. I hate to pick on the guys that were injured. I'm going to shy away from this (excellent) topic. Too depressing. Putting all that behind us now. ;)

ProckHawks

Reaction score
John Carlson - He had all the tools to be a great TE
Marcus Tubbs - Hurt all the time.
Weaver - Would've loved to seee him play here longer and more
Curry - Number 4 pick in the draft.

Seahawksfan425

Reaction score
Aaron Curry, could you imagine if he became what people thought he would be? We would be set at linebacker and have no needs on this team.

Latest posts