Hawks trying to trade WR Kearse

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Kearse, Lane and Collins for Joe Thomas. No problem :0190l:
Oh yeah, and just because, we'll throw in Scott Servais :lol:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mrt144":13xz76nz said:
I think if you did league wide comparisons with other teams you'd find Kearse is singularly unique in the missed opportunities - Take any team with a Top 10 QB (as you define it) and try and find a WR that has similar amount of missed opportunities both in volume and conversion. Allowing for the possibility that so many of Kearse's opportunities are harder ones than most other comparable players, is he the right player to take those harder plays on? I think the output suggests he isn't but for lack of other options on the team and schematic reluctance to adjust, he is.

Not sure what you're trying to say here.

But bottom line for me is Kearse had 80 targets last year, and only a 50% completion percentage...........and the WORST red zone catch rate of any WR in the entire league vs targets.

Yes he blocks, yes he's durable. But it's time to move on and give someone else a shot to become a more dynamic #2 option for us. Cause I'm sure as hell tired of seeing him swallowed up by DB's seemingly every play cause he can't get separation, especially in the red zone.

AND it might save us 2.2M? Yes please.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Just feels like he vanishes for long stretches during the season. To the point where you almost forget he's playing. Just sayin.........

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Browns make tons of sense for Kearse. Tons of cap, and picks. No proven receivers.

That said, there will be a lot of receivers of Kearse's quality on the waiver wire this weekend. Im not optimistic.

I think it'll end up AC traded, Kearse cut, keep Lane.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":20upmzl0 said:
mrt144":20upmzl0 said:
I think if you did league wide comparisons with other teams you'd find Kearse is singularly unique in the missed opportunities - Take any team with a Top 10 QB (as you define it) and try and find a WR that has similar amount of missed opportunities both in volume and conversion. Allowing for the possibility that so many of Kearse's opportunities are harder ones than most other comparable players, is he the right player to take those harder plays on? I think the output suggests he isn't but for lack of other options on the team and schematic reluctance to adjust, he is.

But bottom line for me is Kearse had 80 targets last year, and only a 50% completion percentage...........and the WORST red zone catch rate of any WR in the entire league vs targets.

Yes he blocks, yes he's durable. But it's time to move on and give someone else a shot to become a more dynamic #2 option for us. Cause I'm sure as hell tired of seeing him swallowed up by DB's seemingly every play cause he can't get separation, especially in the red zone.

I know that no one has this, but would be interesting to have clips of all 15 RZ throws. Catch percentage is only part of the equation. Without seeing the degree of difficulty it can be misleading. I think there is a site that ranks passes for catchability, maybe they have that stat? Anyone know the name of that site?

I would add that while last year stunk he has been better in years past. Whose to say he won't return to form or get better?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
kidhawk":2nxg9z4o said:
Seymour":2nxg9z4o said:
Yep....

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/903265671001366528[/tweet]

Not surprising at all. Each have been considered bubble type players so far this camp. This year will make for some interesting cuts, because it's highly unlikely we'll get value for all the guys we want to cut (If any).

Interesting. Those are precisely the three players I could live without.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
StoneCold":2ljjy5vx said:
Sgt. Largent":2ljjy5vx said:
mrt144":2ljjy5vx said:

I know that no one has this, but would be interesting to have clips of all 15 RZ throws. Catch percentage is only part of the equation. Without seeing the degree of difficulty it can be misleading. I think there is a site that ranks passes for catchability, maybe they have that stat? Anyone know the name of that site?

It's not all Kearse, Russell's part of it too obviously..........and playcalling.

But that's how Russell has always been, when a play needs to be made and it's tight coverage everywhere he usually goes to the WR with the one on one coverage giving him a chance to make a play.

That's my point, for as many great plays Kearse has made, 80% of the time he doesn't make the play.

And now Williams and McElvoy are ready to come on, both have shown the ability to win one on one balls using their size and strength, neither of which Kearse has.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
The Browns are the type of team that would trade for Kearse. On the open market they don't have much of a shot to sign him unless they overpay or he has no where else to go because of their history. Giving up a late round pick ensures they get him if they want him.

iigakusei

Reaction score
HawkFan72":246du8d0 said:
The Browns are the type of team that would trade for Kearse. On the open market they don't have much of a shot to sign him unless they overpay or he has no where else to go because of their history. Giving up a late round pick ensures they get him if they want him.
Good point and I never really thought of it that way for a team that would have a tough time attracting a free agent.
Maybe even a 7th rounder would be enough.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3k37i6cl said:
StoneCold":3k37i6cl said:
Sgt. Largent":3k37i6cl said:
mrt144":3k37i6cl said:

It's not all Kearse, Russell's part of it too obviously..........and playcalling.

But that's how Russell has always been, when a play needs to be made and it's tight coverage everywhere he usually goes to the WR with the one on one coverage giving him a chance to make a play.

That's my point, for as many great plays Kearse has made, 80% of the time he doesn't make the play.

And now Williams and McElvoy are ready to come on, both have shown the ability to win one on one balls using their size and strength, neither of which Kearse has.

Here's Kearse's stats - http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/ ... ine-kearse

Not sure where you're getting yours from, but I don't think 80% is a good number. No doubt Kearse had a bad season last year. I would just like to see what his catch ratio is on catchable balls.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Wonder if We're in a you take Kearse and our 6th for the cap room and clevelands 7th????

kidhawk

Reaction score
gowazzu02":3d7no5eg said:
Wonder if We're in a you take Kearse and our 6th for the cap room and clevelands 7th????

That makes no sense. As long as we cut him before the final roster, the cost to us is the same as trading him (financially). We'd not give up draft choices to be rid of him. We would just cut him if that were the case.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
StoneCold":vpiw0wmy said:
Here's Kearse's stats - http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/ ... ine-kearse

Not sure where you're getting yours from, but I don't think 80% is a good number. No doubt Kearse had a bad season last year. I would just like to see what his catch ratio is on catchable balls.

I was taking into account his terrible red zone catch ratio.

But yes, if you take targets and catches, 90 targets, 41 catches = 45%. Which is atrocious.

I have no idea about catchable balls. Honestly I don't care, I'm ready to move on and give someone else a shot............and from these trade rumors it appears Pete and John agree with me. He's gone traded or not.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
kidhawk":3uwc88u0 said:
gowazzu02":3uwc88u0 said:

That makes no sense. As long as we cut him before the final roster, the cost to us is the same as trading him (financially). We'd not give up draft choices to be rid of him. We would just cut him if that were the case.

Didn't like 8 people already say that if we cut him we eat his salary. YET if we trade him, whoever we trade him takes the salary and we save like 2.2 million against hte cap?

Thats why the texans gave the browns a 3rd rd pick W osweiler last year.

Atradees

Reaction score
Jeremy Lane is a serious pick up...
Kearse best ad was that clutch Superbowl td. Somebody wants that.

kidhawk

Reaction score
gowazzu02":2hqlqv1r said:
kidhawk":2hqlqv1r said:
gowazzu02":2hqlqv1r said:

Didn't like 8 people already say that if we cut him we eat his salary. YET if we trade him, whoever we trade him takes the salary and we save like 2.2 million against hte cap?

Thats why the texans gave the browns a 3rd rd pick W osweiler last year.

His salary isn't guaranteed until he makes the final roster. His only guarantees in the contract (according to cap websites) was his first year salary (2016 season) and his signing bonus. We are on the hook for his signing bonus. I believe in the CBA, a contract for veterans becomes fully guaranteed if they make the final roster or if they are active for the start of the season or some such standard. If we cut him before the season then the salary isn't guaranteed. Either way we are on the hook for his remaining signing bonus.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3sygaj1z said:
Seymour":3sygaj1z said:
Sgt. Largent":3sygaj1z said:
jdemps":3sygaj1z said:
I might be in the minority here, but I think trading j. Lane would be a huge mistake. I really don't want to be in the "have to" position of starting shaw grifins first regular season game agains Aarons rodgers. Brock is supposed to be a good nickel but I haven't been super impressed. Thorpe is not someone I want outside of special teams. I'm not banking on shead playing this year either. I think J. Lane is gonna be huge for us this year.

Getting rid of vets like Kearse and Lane and going with unproven players is always a risk.

But if John and Pete have shown anything, it's that they completely trust their developmental process. Just as they trusted guys like Sherm, Maxwell, Kam and Lane 4-5 years ago, they now will trust the next crop of young and hungry group of DB's to develop and play hard.

Don't forget we signed Brock, and I assume Shead will be coming back sometime this year as well.

Pretty sure it will go better than letting Jahri Evans go to put Ifedi in his spot. That was the dumb move of the year last season. :roll:

The hope is Ifedi develops, as opposed to letting him rot on the bench playing a 34 year old Evans.

Maybe it didn't work out LAST year, but the hope is you're developing a RT for the next 10 years, and not going with a short term fix for 1-2 years.

I get the desire, but they still in that case would have been better off letting Ifedi "cut his teeth' on Frank Clark and take Sunday off.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Was reading Browns fans comments on this, and was surprised at how many actually do want Kearse. Even saying a 5th rounder would be right comp. man I'd do a backflip if we got that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":181sdhf6 said:
I get the desire, but they still in that case would have been better off letting Ifedi "cut his teeth' on Frank Clark and take Sunday off.

Not even starting your first round pick would have not only been a drafting failure, but you're stunting his growth.

Only way to gain experience and know if you made the right pick is games.

I get that Evans had a good year, and in hindsight we should have kept him. But we drafted Ifedi, you gotta play him, or else why waste a first rounder on him in the first place?