Hawks will finish 12-4....find out how and why, here!

jlaff35

Reaction score
This is an article I wrote for our blog, hawksontap.com, but wanted to share it here for my friends at .net. I know it's been a rough season so far, but I believe our best football is in front of us. Get strapped in for a crazy second half of the season! If you want to read the article in it's best format, head to my blog where there are pictures, etc. But if not, enjoy it here!

Well here we are officially at the half way point this season, and while the Hawks don’t seem to be clicking on all cylinders yet, they still sit at a respectable 5-3, with great odds of making it to 6-3 this Sunday against a woeful Giants team. Are you happy with where the Hawks are, or are you disgusted by the way they are playing. Are we spoiled as fans because of how last season went, and now nothing short of domination will suffice? Did we forget that last year was full of close games against bad teams, for example the Titans, Buccaneers, Texans, Vikings, etc., and most of those were at home? Really, the Hawks didn’t turn into the Super Bowl contender Hawks until we beat the Saints on Monday Night Football in dominating fashion. From that point forward, notice was served that the 2013 Hawks were special. What will be the defining moment this year, when will that game happen? I say it happens on November 23rd in Seattle vs. the Cardinals. Let’s be honest, we’re still not afraid of the Cardinals. We still feel the Niners are our direct competition. Whether or not we should feel that way is another question, but that’s just how it is, and it actually bodes well for our 2nd half run that we’re about to go on.

Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t going to be easy. But let’s break it down. Giants game is a must win, no question. If we lose another home game, we are in deep trouble. Giants put us at 6-3. Then a sneaky, dangerous game in Kansas City, a virtual house of horrors if you’re a long time Hawk fan and can remember the AFC West days. This is a game that Seattle could win, but it’s also a game that will be extremely tough. Alex Smith excels at ball control offense, doesn’t make mistakes, and that’s a pretty good recipe for success against Seattle. Throw in the fact that Arrowhead is very tough place to play, and also the fact that Justin Houston and Tamba Hali will basically be making Russell Wilson run for his life all day and you have what looks like a loss. I expected one loss in the state of Missouri this year, but not two. That loss to the Rams will haunt us all season as we realize just how precious each win is when chasing a division title. Let’s say we lose to Kansas City, and we go to 6-4. This is ok, and I expect this.

Next up, season defining game in Seattle vs. Cards. Our first crack at them since they tarnished our invincibility at home last December. Our first crack at them while they hold the keys to the NFC West. You can bet Seattle will be amped up for this one both as a revenge game for last year, and because we flat out must win this game. I fully expect a battle, but one that we will ultimately emerge victorious. Now, sitting at 7-4, we travel to San Francisco on a short week for a Turkey Day showdown in prime time. The Niners are a proud team, and it won’t be easy, however by this time their season will be over. They are about to get loss number 5 this week in New Orleans. They’ve already lost to the Bears and the Rams in their shiny new Levi’s Stadium (two non-playoff teams no less) so they really aren’t seeing a home field advantage like they had at Candlestick. Hawks win this one after being so close to pulling off wins in SF the last two years. Next up is the Eagles, in Philly. Against Mark Sanchez. Hawks will be sitting at 8-4, and playing in a stadium where they have had some great success in recent years. Plus, if anyone can stop Mark Sanchez, other than his own lineman’s butt, it’s his college coach Pete Carroll. Philly’s defense is a joke, and they don’t play that well at home either. I will say, if we lose in Kansas City, we have to win in Philly. A win over Philly, while also having wins over Carolina and Green Bay, will be huge for us if it comes down to tie breakers for seeding, playoff spots, etc.

Now at 9-4, we get the other piece of the 49er sandwich (schedule maker doing us no favors this year). Niners in Seattle, with everything on the line, we’ve seen how this goes down before. Hawks will rise to the occasion, Kaep will fold in Harbaugh’s last game in Seattle as coach of the Niners. Losing to the Niners in Seattle in December is just not happening. To 10-4 we go. Bring on the Cardinals, in AZ. Game of the year folks. This game is basically for the division title, as we will be at 10-4 and let’s say the Cards are at 11-3 (they have one loss now, plus the one we give them in Seattle, plus they will find another loss somewhere in between, probably to Detroit). A win for Seattle in AZ puts both teams at 11-4, but the Hawks would own the tiebreaker after sweeping the Cards head to head. Beating the Cards is not going to be easy, as they have a super aggressive defense, a great coach, an improved offensive line, and an offense with a ton of talent. I’m simply banking on our championship experience carrying us through, something the Cards roster is devoid of. We won handily in AZ last year (I was at the game!), and much like last year when we visited the site of the Super Bowl at the end of the season when we played the Giants, we will do the same this year as the Super Bowl is in AZ this year. Our guys will focus in on the huge task of repeating, and will embrace it. Then, in the final week, we just can’t have a letdown as the pesky Rams come to Seattle to finish the season as they seemingly always do. Hawks will disburse of the Rams because there is no other option. Cardinals, meanwhile, have to travel to SF, a place they haven’t won at in a long, long time.

Ending at 12-4 seems like a stretch. Especially with this gauntlet of a schedule. However, if this Seahawk team can recapture their “1-0 every week” and “every week is a championship opportunity” mindset, it’s very possible. At 12-4, we should have a great shot at home field advantage, or at least the 2 seed. The Hawks are getting healthier, the locker room is galvanizing after some rough weeks and a real “us against the world” sentiment is growing. These Hawks are way more comfortable in the underdog role, which will serve them well down the stretch I believe.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jlaff35":hhr6z36v said:
However, if this Seahawk team can recapture their “1-0 every week” and “every week is a championship opportunity” mindset, it’s very possible. .

I don't know what this means.

The players have been saying this "mantra" all year, and they're 5-3.

Words are just that, words. The real world of football doesn't care about words, it cares about tangible things like talent, execution, health, which team makes the least mistakes, turnovers, explosive plays, heart, determination, etc.

The Hawks absolutely can go 12-4, but it won't be because they recaptures some groovy catchphrase, or bought into "why not us!" It'll be because the team finally got healthy enough for their talented players to play talented football.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
This 'article' is all about 'quantity' over 'quality'.

You might as well have said "Seahawks are going to win because YEAH!!!!! GO HAWKS~~~~@!!@!#$@!!!"

OP
OP
J

jlaff35

Reaction score
Sonic, pretty sure your signature sums you up

And Sargent Largent, I agree with you. A catch phrase isn't going to take us to 12-4. But you can't say that there hasn't been a total lack of focus from the Hawks. Pre-snap penalties, playing down to the level of our opponent, etc. This isn't the same laser beam focused team as it was last year, and I think that might be normal for a defending champ. Complacency of some sort is normal after a magical year like last year. Just hoping they can rediscover that "chip" that they had on the shoulder last year and play Seahawk football in the second half.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
But really, there was no content in there.

This is a game that Seattle could win, but it’s also a game that will be extremely tough.

Boy, thanks!

pehawk

Reaction score
Screw these guys, keep hammering out content, hermano. It's easier to sit and criticize than sit and create.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jlaff35":2kxhngw9 said:
And Sargent Largent, I agree with you. A catch phrase isn't going to take us to 12-4. But you can't say that there hasn't been a total lack of focus from the Hawks. Pre-snap penalties, playing down to the level of our opponent, etc. This isn't the same laser beam focused team as it was last year, and I think that might be normal for a defending champ. Complacency of some sort is normal after a magical year like last year. Just hoping they can rediscover that "chip" that they had on the shoulder last year and play Seahawk football in the second half.

I never said there wasn't a lack of focus, pre-snap penalties are 100% lack of focus.

I'm saying it has nothing to do with buying into some bumper sticker affirmation of awesomeness.

My hope is now that we're in the second half of the season the players get geared up for the playoff run and big matchups with their conference rivals. Nothing sharpens a players focus like rivalries and playoffs..........and the first half of the season taught them that they don't have the talent to just sleepwalk through games.

Chawks1

Reaction score
jlaff35":syjascgm said:
This is an article I wrote for our blog, hawksontap.com, but wanted to share it here for my friends at .net. I know it's been a rough season so far, but I believe our best football is in front of us. Get strapped in for a crazy second half of the season! If you want to read the article in it's best format, head to my blog where there are pictures, etc. But if not, enjoy it here!

Well here we are officially at the half way point this season, and while the Hawks don’t seem to be clicking on all cylinders yet, they still sit at a respectable 5-3, with great odds of making it to 6-3 this Sunday against a woeful Giants team. Are you happy with where the Hawks are, or are you disgusted by the way they are playing. Are we spoiled as fans because of how last season went, and now nothing short of domination will suffice? Did we forget that last year was full of close games against bad teams, for example the Titans, Buccaneers, Texans, Vikings, etc., and most of those were at home? Really, the Hawks didn’t turn into the Super Bowl contender Hawks until we beat the Saints on Monday Night Football in dominating fashion. From that point forward, notice was served that the 2013 Hawks were special. What will be the defining moment this year, when will that game happen? I say it happens on November 23rd in Seattle vs. the Cardinals. Let’s be honest, we’re still not afraid of the Cardinals. We still feel the Niners are our direct competition. Whether or not we should feel that way is another question, but that’s just how it is, and it actually bodes well for our 2nd half run that we’re about to go on.

Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t going to be easy. But let’s break it down. Giants game is a must win, no question. If we lose another home game, we are in deep trouble. Giants put us at 6-3. Then a sneaky, dangerous game in Kansas City, a virtual house of horrors if you’re a long time Hawk fan and can remember the AFC West days. This is a game that Seattle could win, but it’s also a game that will be extremely tough. Alex Smith excels at ball control offense, doesn’t make mistakes, and that’s a pretty good recipe for success against Seattle. Throw in the fact that Arrowhead is very tough place to play, and also the fact that Justin Houston and Tamba Hali will basically be making Russell Wilson run for his life all day and you have what looks like a loss. I expected one loss in the state of Missouri this year, but not two. That loss to the Rams will haunt us all season as we realize just how precious each win is when chasing a division title. Let’s say we lose to Kansas City, and we go to 6-4. This is ok, and I expect this.

^^^ I can dig this. Thanks!

Next up, season defining game in Seattle vs. Cards. Our first crack at them since they tarnished our invincibility at home last December. Our first crack at them while they hold the keys to the NFC West. You can bet Seattle will be amped up for this one both as a revenge game for last year, and because we flat out must win this game. I fully expect a battle, but one that we will ultimately emerge victorious. Now, sitting at 7-4, we travel to San Francisco on a short week for a Turkey Day showdown in prime time. The Niners are a proud team, and it won’t be easy, however by this time their season will be over. They are about to get loss number 5 this week in New Orleans. They’ve already lost to the Bears and the Rams in their shiny new Levi’s Stadium (two non-playoff teams no less) so they really aren’t seeing a home field advantage like they had at Candlestick. Hawks win this one after being so close to pulling off wins in SF the last two years. Next up is the Eagles, in Philly. Against Mark Sanchez. Hawks will be sitting at 8-4, and playing in a stadium where they have had some great success in recent years. Plus, if anyone can stop Mark Sanchez, other than his own lineman’s butt, it’s his college coach Pete Carroll. Philly’s defense is a joke, and they don’t play that well at home either. I will say, if we lose in Kansas City, we have to win in Philly. A win over Philly, while also having wins over Carolina and Green Bay, will be huge for us if it comes down to tie breakers for seeding, playoff spots, etc.

Now at 9-4, we get the other piece of the 49er sandwich (schedule maker doing us no favors this year). Niners in Seattle, with everything on the line, we’ve seen how this goes down before. Hawks will rise to the occasion, Kaep will fold in Harbaugh’s last game in Seattle as coach of the Niners. Losing to the Niners in Seattle in December is just not happening. To 10-4 we go. Bring on the Cardinals, in AZ. Game of the year folks. This game is basically for the division title, as we will be at 10-4 and let’s say the Cards are at 11-3 (they have one loss now, plus the one we give them in Seattle, plus they will find another loss somewhere in between, probably to Detroit). A win for Seattle in AZ puts both teams at 11-4, but the Hawks would own the tiebreaker after sweeping the Cards head to head. Beating the Cards is not going to be easy, as they have a super aggressive defense, a great coach, an improved offensive line, and an offense with a ton of talent. I’m simply banking on our championship experience carrying us through, something the Cards roster is devoid of. We won handily in AZ last year (I was at the game!), and much like last year when we visited the site of the Super Bowl at the end of the season when we played the Giants, we will do the same this year as the Super Bowl is in AZ this year. Our guys will focus in on the huge task of repeating, and will embrace it. Then, in the final week, we just can’t have a letdown as the pesky Rams come to Seattle to finish the season as they seemingly always do. Hawks will disburse of the Rams because there is no other option. Cardinals, meanwhile, have to travel to SF, a place they haven’t won at in a long, long time.

Ending at 12-4 seems like a stretch. Especially with this gauntlet of a schedule. However, if this Seahawk team can recapture their “1-0 every week” and “every week is a championship opportunity” mindset, it’s very possible. At 12-4, we should have a great shot at home field advantage, or at least the 2 seed. The Hawks are getting healthier, the locker room is galvanizing after some rough weeks and a real “us against the world” sentiment is growing. These Hawks are way more comfortable in the underdog role, which will serve them well down the stretch I believe.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
pehawk":1pe8mslc said:
Screw these guys, keep hammering out content, hermano. It's easier to sit and criticize than sit and create.
YEP^

byau

Reaction score
scutterhawk":218hpifw said:
pehawk":218hpifw said:
YEP^

Thanks for the post, appreciate it a lot! I really appreciate obvious effort in writing and getting more stuff out there for discussion :)

Do you mind some constructive criticism?

I do think there's some truth to the above posters' criticism of your blog post. If you're looking to improve on it, that is one point is to perhaps go into more detail on each of the games: what is the main thing quantitative that you see making it winnable, what is the main quantitative thing you see that will make it difficult, etc. Are there two or three specific examples you can point out?

And one more critique I saw: just that it was hard to read for me formatting-wise and transition wise. For example, each time you go to a new game or a new subject, it'd be nice to see the separation (new paragraphs) and using headings/bullet points, etc to help things read easier when you want to make points supporting your statements.

All in all, I appreciate the post and the read. Hope the points above were taken as constructive suggestions they were intended to be.

Cheers!

FormerEvil

Reaction score
It's attitudes and posts like SonicHawk's and his 8000+ comments that keep quality people with interesting ideas from contributing more on .Net. It's a shame.

OP
OP
J

jlaff35

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the constructive criticism, I really appreciate it. I know there are some angry, cranky guys that just complain to complain, which is why we lost Kearly's Random Thoughts. I don't claim to be a professional journalist. Hell, me and a couple buddies started up our blog for our own entertainment and our love for the Hawks. If a few people read it, awesome! I have been doing recaps on almost all of the games on my blog, similar to what Kearly was doing, but breaking it down into a "good, bad, and ugly" type of format. I know I don't have a high post count, but trust me I've been coming to this site since the early 2000's, just mostly reading the opinions of others. Another thing you can trust is that i'm a lifelong Hawk fan who was born in 1979 and have been through all the good and bad times of our beloved Hawks. I'll keep posting, keep the constructive criticism coming, I don't mind that at all. I appreciate it. Thanks guys. Let's kick some Giant butt this weekend. One of these weeks our team is just gonna roll, and I have a feeling it's this week

OP
OP
J

jlaff35

Reaction score
pehawk":ue7jhq55 said:

Thank you! I like that line. It's so true, too.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
jlaff35":2bba6kzf said:
Sonic, pretty sure your signature sums you up

Great article Jlaff, keep it up. Your last sentence pretty much sums up the season for me. The mentality has changed on this team. Last season they were the hunters and hungry for the trophy. This year, they were everybody's favorite going into the season and being the champs, they are the hunted. Having such a young team, it seems that maybe winning it all has got to them. They have lost their edge a bit. Like you said, I hope they rediscover that. Still plenty of games left to play. Things can change in this sport pretty quickly.

OP
OP
J

jlaff35

Reaction score
byau":n7ku7v03 said:
scutterhawk":n7ku7v03 said:
pehawk":n7ku7v03 said:
YEP^

Yeah I should have formatted it better. I literally copied and pasted from my blog and didn't tighten it up like I should have. It flows better on my site, with pictures helping the transitions, but those don't really work in this forum, or at least I don't know how to make it work. Thanks for the critique my friend

OP
OP
J

jlaff35

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2er7thfv said:
Great article Jlaff, keep it up. Your last sentence pretty much sums up the season for me. The mentality has changed on this team. Last season they were the hunters and hungry for the trophy. This year, they were everybody's favorite and being the champs, they are the hunted. Having such a young team, it seems that maybe winning it all has got to them. They have lost their edge a bit. Like you said, I hope they rediscover that. Still plenty of games left to play. Things can change in this sport pretty quickly.

Yeah, I don't like these "nice" Hawks. Had enough of that in the Ruskell era. I want Earl Thomas to step up and for Sherman to be brash and for our boys to get that "swagger" back. I think they will. We need Bobby Wagner back in a big way, that's for sure.

McGruff

Reaction score
The article was fine, but it contained one glaring error.

The Hawks are not going 12-4. They are going 13-3. Actually, they are going 16-3, but that is getting ahead of myself . . .

Why? Because YEAH!!!!! GO HAWKS~~~~@!!@!#$@!!!"

byau

Reaction score
jlaff35":21ixihlk said:
byau":21ixihlk said:
scutterhawk":21ixihlk said:
pehawk":21ixihlk said:
YEP^

Yeah I should have formatted it better. I literally copied and pasted from my blog and didn't tighten it up like I should have. It flows better on my site, with pictures helping the transitions, but those don't really work in this forum, or at least I don't know how to make it work.

I thought that might be it. Esp when you said "blog post", definitely is much easier to format on blogs than on a forum.

jlaff35":21ixihlk said:
Thanks for the critique my friend

You're welcome, thanks for sharing! Please keep writing!

FormerEvil

Reaction score
McGruff":j3lagojd said:
The article was fine, but it contained one glaring error.

The Hawks are not going 12-4. They are going 13-3. Actually, they are going 16-3, but that is getting ahead of myself . . .

Why? Because YEAH!!!!! GO HAWKS~~~~@!!@!#$@!!!"

HELL YEAH :thirishdrinkers: