Hawks will finish 12-4....find out how and why, here!

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I hope you're right. If this plays out as you imagined it, the Seahawks would make the 49ers irrelevant (twice).

4-5 with a loss to the Saints.

6-6 after their first loss to the Seahawks.

7-7 after their second loss to the Seahawks.

Does anything they do after this point really matter?

:th2thumbs:

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2cv48ljs said:
jlaff35":2cv48ljs said:
However, if this Seahawk team can recapture their “1-0 every week” and “every week is a championship opportunity” mindset, it’s very possible. .

I don't know what this means.

The players have been saying this "mantra" all year, and they're 5-3.

Words are just that, words. The real world of football doesn't care about words, it cares about tangible things like talent, execution, health, which team makes the least mistakes, turnovers, explosive plays, heart, determination, etc.

The Hawks absolutely can go 12-4, but it won't be because they recaptures some groovy catchphrase, or bought into "why not us!" It'll be because the team finally got healthy enough for their talented players to play talented football.

He's talking about the state of mind and not throwing the philosophy of empty words out because its what they were taught... he's talking about getting back to that every game is a must win attitude, and the team must be willing to scratch and claw its way back to the top, and become the bully again.

But ofcourse you would single out something like that and make a DB comment.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1pa3keoq said:
Sgt. Largent":1pa3keoq said:
jlaff35":1pa3keoq said:
However, if this Seahawk team can recapture their “1-0 every week” and “every week is a championship opportunity” mindset, it’s very possible. .

I don't know what this means.

The players have been saying this "mantra" all year, and they're 5-3.

Words are just that, words. The real world of football doesn't care about words, it cares about tangible things like talent, execution, health, which team makes the least mistakes, turnovers, explosive plays, heart, determination, etc.

The Hawks absolutely can go 12-4, but it won't be because they recaptures some groovy catchphrase, or bought into "why not us!" It'll be because the team finally got healthy enough for their talented players to play talented football.

He's talking about the state of mind and not throwing the philosophy of empty words out because its what they were taught... he's talking about getting back to that every game is a must win attitude, and the team must be willing to scratch and claw its way back to the top, and become the bully again.

But ofcourse you would single out something like that and make a DB comment.

Wait a minute, Russell and many other players have been saying we have to go 1-0 every week this entire year. So have they been lying? How can they get "get back to that every game" when they're already in that mindset?

That's my point, words be words.

Nothing against the OP, I admire his enthusiasm.......but I'm a pragmatic fan. I'd like to see health and execution over feel good mumbo jumbo.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Good post, as someone who blogs about the hawks for fun it's good to get fan opinions. It's also hard to come up with facts and stats all the time to support the convo. Sometimes it's fun just to get your feelings about the team out there.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
jlaff35":3hh423f3 said:
This is an article I wrote for our blog, hawksontap.com, but wanted to share it here for my friends at .net. I know it's been a rough season so far, but I believe our best football is in front of us. Get strapped in for a crazy second half of the season! If you want to read the article in it's best format, head to my blog where there are pictures, etc. But if not, enjoy it here!

Well here we are officially at the half way point this season, and while the Hawks don’t seem to be clicking on all cylinders yet, they still sit at a respectable 5-3, with great odds of making it to 6-3 this Sunday against a woeful Giants team. Are you happy with where the Hawks are, or are you disgusted by the way they are playing. Are we spoiled as fans because of how last season went, and now nothing short of domination will suffice? Did we forget that last year was full of close games against bad teams, for example the Titans, Buccaneers, Texans, Vikings, etc., and most of those were at home? Really, the Hawks didn’t turn into the Super Bowl contender Hawks until we beat the Saints on Monday Night Football in dominating fashion. From that point forward, notice was served that the 2013 Hawks were special. What will be the defining moment this year, when will that game happen? I say it happens on November 23rd in Seattle vs. the Cardinals. Let’s be honest, we’re still not afraid of the Cardinals. We still feel the Niners are our direct competition. Whether or not we should feel that way is another question, but that’s just how it is, and it actually bodes well for our 2nd half run that we’re about to go on.

Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t going to be easy. But let’s break it down. Giants game is a must win, no question. If we lose another home game, we are in deep trouble. Giants put us at 6-3. Then a sneaky, dangerous game in Kansas City, a virtual house of horrors if you’re a long time Hawk fan and can remember the AFC West days. This is a game that Seattle could win, but it’s also a game that will be extremely tough. Alex Smith excels at ball control offense, doesn’t make mistakes, and that’s a pretty good recipe for success against Seattle. Throw in the fact that Arrowhead is very tough place to play, and also the fact that Justin Houston and Tamba Hali will basically be making Russell Wilson run for his life all day and you have what looks like a loss. I expected one loss in the state of Missouri this year, but not two. That loss to the Rams will haunt us all season as we realize just how precious each win is when chasing a division title. Let’s say we lose to Kansas City, and we go to 6-4. This is ok, and I expect this.

Next up, season defining game in Seattle vs. Cards. Our first crack at them since they tarnished our invincibility at home last December. Our first crack at them while they hold the keys to the NFC West. You can bet Seattle will be amped up for this one both as a revenge game for last year, and because we flat out must win this game. I fully expect a battle, but one that we will ultimately emerge victorious. Now, sitting at 7-4, we travel to San Francisco on a short week for a Turkey Day showdown in prime time. The Niners are a proud team, and it won’t be easy, however by this time their season will be over. They are about to get loss number 5 this week in New Orleans. They’ve already lost to the Bears and the Rams in their shiny new Levi’s Stadium (two non-playoff teams no less) so they really aren’t seeing a home field advantage like they had at Candlestick. Hawks win this one after being so close to pulling off wins in SF the last two years. Next up is the Eagles, in Philly. Against Mark Sanchez. Hawks will be sitting at 8-4, and playing in a stadium where they have had some great success in recent years. Plus, if anyone can stop Mark Sanchez, other than his own lineman’s butt, it’s his college coach Pete Carroll. Philly’s defense is a joke, and they don’t play that well at home either. I will say, if we lose in Kansas City, we have to win in Philly. A win over Philly, while also having wins over Carolina and Green Bay, will be huge for us if it comes down to tie breakers for seeding, playoff spots, etc.

Now at 9-4, we get the other piece of the 49er sandwich (schedule maker doing us no favors this year). Niners in Seattle, with everything on the line, we’ve seen how this goes down before. Hawks will rise to the occasion, Kaep will fold in Harbaugh’s last game in Seattle as coach of the Niners. Losing to the Niners in Seattle in December is just not happening. To 10-4 we go. Bring on the Cardinals, in AZ. Game of the year folks. This game is basically for the division title, as we will be at 10-4 and let’s say the Cards are at 11-3 (they have one loss now, plus the one we give them in Seattle, plus they will find another loss somewhere in between, probably to Detroit). A win for Seattle in AZ puts both teams at 11-4, but the Hawks would own the tiebreaker after sweeping the Cards head to head. Beating the Cards is not going to be easy, as they have a super aggressive defense, a great coach, an improved offensive line, and an offense with a ton of talent. I’m simply banking on our championship experience carrying us through, something the Cards roster is devoid of. We won handily in AZ last year (I was at the game!), and much like last year when we visited the site of the Super Bowl at the end of the season when we played the Giants, we will do the same this year as the Super Bowl is in AZ this year. Our guys will focus in on the huge task of repeating, and will embrace it. Then, in the final week, we just can’t have a letdown as the pesky Rams come to Seattle to finish the season as they seemingly always do. Hawks will disburse of the Rams because there is no other option. Cardinals, meanwhile, have to travel to SF, a place they haven’t won at in a long, long time.

Ending at 12-4 seems like a stretch. Especially with this gauntlet of a schedule. However, if this Seahawk team can recapture their “1-0 every week” and “every week is a championship opportunity” mindset, it’s very possible. At 12-4, we should have a great shot at home field advantage, or at least the 2 seed. The Hawks are getting healthier, the locker room is galvanizing after some rough weeks and a real “us against the world” sentiment is growing. These Hawks are way more comfortable in the underdog role, which will serve them well down the stretch I believe.
I like it. Though I see Kansas City as very winnable while I'm not yet convinced we can sweep the 49ers or the Cardinals. My conservative expectation is to go 6-2 in the back half and be 11-5 which should be more then good enough for the top wildcard spot. My current line of thinking could change based on how San Francisco performs against New Orleans and how Arizona goes against Detroit, if both lose I can easily see a 13-3 or 12-4 record for us which would secure the division and either the number 1 or number 2 seed in the playoffs.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I appreciate the OP putting words on a screen and doing it for the love of his team. Continue to do it as much as possible.

I just found that the collected paragraphs were more rah-rah than actual analysis. The analysis did little to overcome why we're 5-3 at this point, it assumed that we had the same talent, depth, stability and chemistry as the team that won the Super Bowl last year.

I in no way meant to suggest the OP shouldn't continue to write or to be overly critical. It was just rah-rah, pre-game warmup speech more than analysis.

I should apologize to the OP, it was not my intention to give anything more than my analysis of the content, ableit a bit terse. Continue to do your thang.

OP
OP
J

jlaff35

Reaction score
It's all good SonicHawk, no hard feelings. It does seem a little rah-rah, with not much basis for believing in such positivity based on our play lately. You should see me on game day, I'm like the most cynical, negative fan. Not fun to be around. I just expect more from this team than what we've been seeing so far, and I'm sure I'm not alone there!

Hawks46

Reaction score
pehawk":1tpr9fz5 said:
Screw these guys, keep hammering out content, hermano. It's easier to sit and criticize than sit and create.

Bingo. Got to love people that will tear people down, but don't build anything of their own.

seahawk Dan

Reaction score
jlaff35":1rtu9k5f said:
This is an article I wrote for our blog, hawksontap.com, but wanted to share it here for my friends at .net. I know it's been a rough season so far, but I believe our best football is in front of us. Get strapped in for a crazy second half of the season! If you want to read the article in it's best format, head to my blog where there are pictures, etc. But if not, enjoy it here!

Well here we are officially at the half way point this season, and while the Hawks don’t seem to be clicking on all cylinders yet, they still sit at a respectable 5-3, with great odds of making it to 6-3 this Sunday against a woeful Giants team. Are you happy with where the Hawks are, or are you disgusted by the way they are playing. Are we spoiled as fans because of how last season went, and now nothing short of domination will suffice? Did we forget that last year was full of close games against bad teams, for example the Titans, Buccaneers, Texans, Vikings, etc., and most of those were at home? Really, the Hawks didn’t turn into the Super Bowl contender Hawks until we beat the Saints on Monday Night Football in dominating fashion. From that point forward, notice was served that the 2013 Hawks were special. What will be the defining moment this year, when will that game happen? I say it happens on November 23rd in Seattle vs. the Cardinals. Let’s be honest, we’re still not afraid of the Cardinals. We still feel the Niners are our direct competition. Whether or not we should feel that way is another question, but that’s just how it is, and it actually bodes well for our 2nd half run that we’re about to go on.

Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t going to be easy. But let’s break it down. Giants game is a must win, no question. If we lose another home game, we are in deep trouble. Giants put us at 6-3. Then a sneaky, dangerous game in Kansas City, a virtual house of horrors if you’re a long time Hawk fan and can remember the AFC West days. This is a game that Seattle could win, but it’s also a game that will be extremely tough. Alex Smith excels at ball control offense, doesn’t make mistakes, and that’s a pretty good recipe for success against Seattle. Throw in the fact that Arrowhead is very tough place to play, and also the fact that Justin Houston and Tamba Hali will basically be making Russell Wilson run for his life all day and you have what looks like a loss. I expected one loss in the state of Missouri this year, but not two. That loss to the Rams will haunt us all season as we realize just how precious each win is when chasing a division title. Let’s say we lose to Kansas City, and we go to 6-4. This is ok, and I expect this.

So the hawks are going to lose one more game that's it ( very unlikely) I say at best 10-6 and on the road for a wild card game.

Next up, season defining game in Seattle vs. Cards. Our first crack at them since they tarnished our invincibility at home last December. Our first crack at them while they hold the keys to the NFC West. You can bet Seattle will be amped up for this one both as a revenge game for last year, and because we flat out must win this game. I fully expect a battle, but one that we will ultimately emerge victorious. Now, sitting at 7-4, we travel to San Francisco on a short week for a Turkey Day showdown in prime time. The Niners are a proud team, and it won’t be easy, however by this time their season will be over. They are about to get loss number 5 this week in New Orleans. They’ve already lost to the Bears and the Rams in their shiny new Levi’s Stadium (two non-playoff teams no less) so they really aren’t seeing a home field advantage like they had at Candlestick. Hawks win this one after being so close to pulling off wins in SF the last two years. Next up is the Eagles, in Philly. Against Mark Sanchez. Hawks will be sitting at 8-4, and playing in a stadium where they have had some great success in recent years. Plus, if anyone can stop Mark Sanchez, other than his own lineman’s butt, it’s his college coach Pete Carroll. Philly’s defense is a joke, and they don’t play that well at home either. I will say, if we lose in Kansas City, we have to win in Philly. A win over Philly, while also having wins over Carolina and Green Bay, will be huge for us if it comes down to tie breakers for seeding, playoff spots, etc.

Now at 9-4, we get the other piece of the 49er sandwich (schedule maker doing us no favors this year). Niners in Seattle, with everything on the line, we’ve seen how this goes down before. Hawks will rise to the occasion, Kaep will fold in Harbaugh’s last game in Seattle as coach of the Niners. Losing to the Niners in Seattle in December is just not happening. To 10-4 we go. Bring on the Cardinals, in AZ. Game of the year folks. This game is basically for the division title, as we will be at 10-4 and let’s say the Cards are at 11-3 (they have one loss now, plus the one we give them in Seattle, plus they will find another loss somewhere in between, probably to Detroit). A win for Seattle in AZ puts both teams at 11-4, but the Hawks would own the tiebreaker after sweeping the Cards head to head. Beating the Cards is not going to be easy, as they have a super aggressive defense, a great coach, an improved offensive line, and an offense with a ton of talent. I’m simply banking on our championship experience carrying us through, something the Cards roster is devoid of. We won handily in AZ last year (I was at the game!), and much like last year when we visited the site of the Super Bowl at the end of the season when we played the Giants, we will do the same this year as the Super Bowl is in AZ this year. Our guys will focus in on the huge task of repeating, and will embrace it. Then, in the final week, we just can’t have a letdown as the pesky Rams come to Seattle to finish the season as they seemingly always do. Hawks will disburse of the Rams because there is no other option. Cardinals, meanwhile, have to travel to SF, a place they haven’t won at in a long, long time.

Ending at 12-4 seems like a stretch. Especially with this gauntlet of a schedule. However, if this Seahawk team can recapture their “1-0 every week” and “every week is a championship opportunity” mindset, it’s very possible. At 12-4, we should have a great shot at home field advantage, or at least the 2 seed. The Hawks are getting healthier, the locker room is galvanizing after some rough weeks and a real “us against the world” sentiment is growing. These Hawks are way more comfortable in the underdog role, which will serve them well down the stretch I believe.

OP
OP
J

jlaff35

Reaction score
Well seahawk Dan, you have your story, I have mine! I think 12-4 is attainable, even if unlikely. 10-6 probably doesn't get us in the playoffs this year. Although if the Cowboys win their division, and we beat Philly, as well as the Lions winning their division would really help our 10-6 cause because we hold tiebreakers over Philly (assuming we win) and over the Packers. Probably a few weeks too early to tell. For all we know the Cowboys could just fall apart and off the map completely, especially if they somehow lose to Jacksonville in London this weekend.

chris98251

Reaction score
I prefer 1 - 0 each week, let the rest of the numbers work themselves out at seasons end.

Oh and nice post, you write and get feedback and if you keep it up at some point you will get a following that hopes to see something regular. It's how people learn to hone their skills :)

dunceface

Reaction score
Great post! Some much needed optimism around here.

One thing that I think plays into what you're saying and I haven't heard much of lately (mostly because there have been plenty of injuries and lackluster play to blame) is the fact that under Pete we have always ramped our play up through out the season so we are peaking at the right time. I fully expect that to happen this year, it will just look different because of the aforementioned factors.

HELLZ YEAH! GO HAWKS! WEEEEWWWWWWW! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

olyfan63

Reaction score
Thanks for the article. Keep up the good work :)

It gets harder and harder to predict, the further in time that games get out.
While more tidbits about why the Seahawks will prevail in weeks 15, 16, 17 would be great, it's a bit of a fool's errand with the unknown impact of who will be injured at that point in the season.

One key area that would be worth more attention & space is the matchup with the Cards, and why we'll prevail. I do think we'll beat them here, HFA and all that, but to beat them there, we'll need some serious matchup advantages that we actually exploit, while limiting their advantages. For that, we might need to go back to the loss last year to AZ. I didn't see the game, holiday committments, but any analysis would have to account for how things will be different. ("Our offense won't suck this time, and waste 4 turnovers, because... (stuff that will be different)". Plus, the reality seems to be that AZ is one of the few threats to beat us in our house. I don't know if Pete's knowledge of Carson Palmer will help that much, but hey, it's something to write, accurate or not. It would be interesting to know why you think that gives Pete and our defense an inside track. I'd expect Pete probably has just as good a book on Kraepernick and P. Manning as on Palmer; why would his book on Palmer be better? Pete had a "book" on Percy Harvin from trying to recruit him at USC, and look how much that book helped...

It does seem like the 49ers are imploding a bit and aren't the team they were last year.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
jlaff35":itsscvvm said:

The mixed metaphore in the first sentence makes it feel like authentic sports writing.

Latest posts