HC MM - Expectations

hawks85

Reaction score
9-10 wins year one. Everyone has to understand that Macdonald's defense is VERY complex and will need time to get it down. I'm predicting we sign Queen to help install and understand the defense for the players.

ronnieboycefanclub

Reaction score
The question is how long the Honeymoon period will last, when the blame can no longer be on how his predecessor left things.

BASF

Reaction score
It is shocking to see a few of the people who have been pointing to Pete Carroll as the weak link here for years are now hedging their bets now that their Moby Dick is gone. They have acted as though this is a twelve or more win team if only Pete Carroll was better with X's and O's or in game management for years. They have acted as though we would never win against the younger coaches in the league as long as we had Pete Carroll who the game had passed by. But, now they are projecting down years now that our biggest problem has been solved from their perspective.

My expectations for this season are far less realistic than most here, but the coaching staff here has been the issue the past two seasons. Clint Hurtt's defensive plan was not very good from the beginning of his tenure as the league had already figured out his mentor, Vic Fangio's defense. The adjustments that Carroll and Hurtt came up with after week five was figured out by the league in five games and they were never able to adjust that season. After that period, we only had two good defensive performances and they were against a poor Jets team and Baker Mayfield who only completed half of his passes. Hurtt no longer being associated with the Seahawks should add a few wins to our total alone. Replacing him with one of the best young defensive minds should add a couple of wins as well.

Don't even get me started on Waldron and his penchant for choosing too many of the same routes too often. I expect us to be in the playoffs with at least double digit wins in 2024.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
MM has been a savant everywhere that he's been. He was behind one of the best defenses in the country at Michigan, he then created one of the most scary defenses in the NFL on the Ravens. In many ways, this is what Carroll was trying to replicate but never could.

All that being said, I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with only 4 wins, but am expecting 7. Why? The coaching staff has very little experience in the NFL. This is both a virtue and a potential liability. I can see cool things coming from this, but also perhaps a lot of growing pains. Grubbs in particular is going to need to rework his playbook for the NFL. Collegiate guys are very hit and miss. I see a lot of things that Grubbs did that will translate to the NFL level at the UW, but it's still going to be a bit of a learning curve.

In addition to this, MM's defense requires certain types of players. It's a great deal more complex than anything we've ran under Carroll. I expect that we take a step back initially before we finally get running, especially since none of our LB's fit the scheme.

Last edited:

nanomoz

Reaction score
Excepting a horrific collapse, I don't care about year one much. My hope is an NFC championship or super bowl win in 3 or 4 years.