Here we list Tom Cables accomplishments

mrt144

Reaction score
joeseahawks":34palx4m said:
Remember when he said that college Linemen were not properly trained and he picked guys from the streets who used to play soccer (or was it Field Hockey or Cricket :) ) and tried to turn them into O-Linemen?

I asked the question earlier if our Failure on the O-Line was due to bad talent of bad coaching (or maybe bad scouting)...
Something drastic needs to happen soon.
When i see how much time Rodgers had back there and how much time Russ is given ... it is really unfair.

I think our D line did a great job today. Sheldon Richardson really does improve that D line vastly. The problem is that even with that pressure, Rodger's O line is competent enough to make pressure less completely disastrous.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I've always thought Tom Cable's "Zone blocking scheme" does not work well. Every year the Hawks draft guys to "fit" this scheme. But, I've always thought, instead of having a scheme where you need certain players that fit that scheme, wouldn't it be better to have a scheme where the talent pool and players you seek are more plentiful?

Tom Cable has said college lineman aren't NFL ready. Well, if that's true, how are other teams able to build good lines and Cable is incapable of doing so? All those other teams have the same pool of players coming from college their drafting. But they seem to be doing a better job of putting a line together. It's gotta be this "Zone blocking scheme" maybe it is outdated, cause it seems darn hard to locate 5 guys that fit this system.

Maybe this system needs to be revised and something else needs to be done.

Football isn't a "simple" game by any means but can't schemes be simplified?

Here's what you look for, just my opinion:

Left Tackle: Strong upper body, athletic and moves feet very well.
Left Guard: Big lower base.
Center: Highly intelligent
Right Guard: Big lower base.
Right Tackle: Strong upper body, athletic and moves feel very well.

Simpler to find compared to these "Zone blockers", right?? Hahah.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
joeseahawks":kktg55ul said:
Remember when he said that college Linemen were not properly trained and he picked guys from the streets who used to play soccer (or was it Field Hockey or Cricket :) ) and tried to turn them into O-Linemen?

I asked the question earlier if our Failure on the O-Line was due to bad talent of bad coaching (or maybe bad scouting)...
When i see how much time Rodgers had back there and how much time Russ is given ... it is really unfair.

It's bad coaching....only one player that has been under Cable's tutelage has gotten a second contract. Even that player is not playing the position he was initially drafted for. Cable has been in Seattle for 6 years now and only 1 player in that time was deemed good enough to warrant a second contract. Think on that for a moment.....

irocdave

Reaction score
Cable is the constant when it comes to O-line and running back play. If I'm a defensive player I am starting to look at Pete straight in the eye and ask the same question we all are. How can this team carry the dead weight that it has at one coaching position. Pete needs to shit can Tom Cable. He has proven to be the weakest coaching link on the Hawks. There is enough data to prove that point.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2df59u32 said:

I remember L'ael Collins being available and I was like, "Pete Carroll loves guys like this" and we need lineman, draft him!" But nope.

Jville

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1x81psvo said:
joeseahawks":1x81psvo said:

It's bad coaching....only one player that has been under Cable's tutelage has gotten a second contract. Even that player is not playing the position he was initially drafted for. Cable has been in Seattle for 6 years now and only 1 player in that time was deemed good enough to warrant a second contract. Think on that for a moment.....

Only one? That's blatantly false.

:177692: but I get it.

Throwing rocks and all.

mrt144

Reaction score
Jville":rbwzjgkr said:
hawkfan68":rbwzjgkr said:
joeseahawks":rbwzjgkr said:

Unger was technically picked before PCJS but was moved to center under their tenure and earned a 2nd contract for the Seahawks. Britt, also moved to center also earned one.

We've certainly let our share of mediocre go but seemingly have only replaced them with awful.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/836990173879681030[/tweet]

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Benno, Sweezy, Carpenter, Okung, Unger ...
These guys didn't rank last during their tenure here ...
Isn't there a stat that says ... we have drafted more o-linemen than any other position under this regime?
Are we just drafting the wrong guys (Ifedi ) ?

Megatron

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":3lo8po84 said:
joeseahawks":3lo8po84 said:

I remember L'ael Collins being available and I was like, "Pete Carroll loves guys like this" and we need lineman, draft him!" But nope.

L'ael Collins wasn't going to sign with any team that drafted him after the third round. Projected to be a first round pick, Collins stock started to drop when it was announced that he was scheduled to talk to the Louisiana State police days after the draft, about the shooting death of a pregnant woman with whom he previously had a relationship. Even though he wasn't considered a suspect a the time, that was a big red flag to every team. If a team drafted him after the 3rd round he was going to sit out the season and re-enter the draft the following year. Since he went undrafted he automatically became an UDFA and could not re-enter the draft the following year. The Seahawks could have signed him as an UDFA, but either they chose not to or he liked Dallas more for a multitude of reasons (more money, better o-line, liked the city, etc.)

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Jville":rmnmvcz6 said:
hawkfan68":rmnmvcz6 said:
joeseahawks":rmnmvcz6 said:

Throwing rocks and all.

Unger was drafted by Mora. Okung was drafted 2010 also before Cable but he didn't get a 2nd contract. Sweezy didn't, Carpenter didn't...so who is/are the other offensive lineman(s) besides Britt to get a 2nd contract on Seahawks?

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
hawkfan68":wac7t9ix said:
Jville":wac7t9ix said:
hawkfan68":wac7t9ix said:
joeseahawks":wac7t9ix said:

Throwing rocks and all.

Unger was drafted by Mora. Okung was drafted 2010 also before Cable but he didn't get a 2nd contract. Sweezy didn't, Carpenter didn't...so who is/are the other offensive lineman(s) besides Britt to get a 2nd contract on Seahawks?
This is technically true if you mean second contract with the Seahawks. But it's a bit misleading: Okung's first contract was 6 years (although his first year wasn't under Cable). Also multiple players got big money with other teams. The fact they went somewhere else isn't really a coaching failure.

With that said, Cable is an assistant head coach, former NFL head coach, and presumably should have a lot of pull with the organization. I'd assume he has more to do with the makeup of the line than just pure coaching. If the oline problems are a result of JS/PC being unwilling to invest in the position, over Cable's objections, and Cable really is a great coach, he should really just quit, because he's being setup to fail.

"The result was terrible, but it would have been even more terrible if not for me" isn't exactly an inspiring accomplishment in any profession.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
The fact that they went somewhere else is an office failure. Pete hired Cable. Pete keeps Cable. Pete supplies Cable players. Pete refuses to see any thing is wrong with our oline philosophy. Now.... who is the problem?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
SeahawksCanuck":2gp9spw9 said:
hawkfan68":2gp9spw9 said:
Jville":2gp9spw9 said:
hawkfan68":2gp9spw9 said:

Throwing rocks and all.

This is technically true if you mean second contract with the Seahawks. But it's a bit misleading: Okung's first contract was 6 years (although his first year wasn't under Cable). Also multiple players got big money with other teams. The fact they went somewhere else isn't really a coaching failure.

With that said, Cable is an assistant head coach, former NFL head coach, and presumably should have a lot of pull with the organization. I'd assume he has more to do with the makeup of the line than just pure coaching. If the oline problems are a result of JS/PC being unwilling to invest in the position, over Cable's objections, and Cable really is a great coach, he should really just quit, because he's being setup to fail.

"The result was terrible, but it would have been even more terrible if not for me" isn't exactly an inspiring accomplishment in any profession.

I assumed this would be given since we are talking about the Seahawks. A player getting a second contact with another team doesn't help the Seahawks. I'll try to add more clarity in the future.

mrt144

Reaction score
SeahawksCanuck":ln5hpmxa said:

It is exactly what a charlatan middle manager does.

Latest posts