Hey Jerry Brewer ... SHUT UP!!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":20fpi1gf said:
He echos most of the posters here on this board. Honestly, I think Seahawks fans care more about style points and power polls more than winning.

He also echoes every coach and player. Pete criticized his own team yesterday;

“It’s kind of embarrassing that we can’t stop a simple trap play,”

We were sloppy in our run fits, again. Unfortunately, we missed some reads on a couple of new plays that they ran.

Most of the players were also quoted saying that they need to get better, so why can't a beat writer say the same things? If anything this is another example of Seattle sports fans having very thin skin when it comes to someone criticizing their teams. Not sure why, but it's a chronic issue in the NW. OMG WE ALL HAVE TO LOVE OUR TEAMS AND CAN NEVER SAY ANYTHING BAD, AND IF ANYONE DOES WE HATE THEM!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":21vzfdpj said:
tom sawyer":21vzfdpj said:
CANHawk":21vzfdpj said:
You mad bro?

I mean is Jerry PURPOSELY trying to be a dick?

He's a reporter, he's paid to dissect the teams he's covering. What do you want him to write after each game "The Seahawks won today, yah!" - The End

Btw, Brewer makes good points. Sure winning is the only thing that matters each and every week, but if the Hawks fancy themselves a dominant SB team, then what he's writing about does matter. This team has some serious issues that have to be ironed out if they want to win the SB. Sorry, but barely beating an 0-7 team at home isn't a SB team right now...........and that's what Brewer's concerned about.

It is also historically stupid. Historic teams, the kind that could sleep walk through a regular season like the 85 bears, 84 niners, 91 Skins are so rare, especially in the salary cap era, that pointing out the current team isn't one of those teams is just dumb. Pointing out issues the team has is just fine, in fact that kind of discussion is what this board should focus on, but once the words "not a super bowl team" enter the discussion, rational discussion is ruined, even the Chiefs at 9-0 are not assured a playoff berth right now, so getting angsty about a game in February isn't rational. Brewer himself never brings the SB into the discussion. He simply says they need to stop playing to the level of the competition. Which is also not a rational discussion. Now, if he had written an article about the x's and o's of why the run fits are not good right now that actually included some specifics about Tampa blockers actually being good enough to win some one on one matchups, then he would be having rational discussion.

However, that does not sell papers or adspace. Appealing to the angsty who are freaking out about the SB when we haven't even won the division gets more hits and sells more ads.

tdlabrie

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3vxy2iuw said:
Jazzhawk":3vxy2iuw said:
He echos most of the posters here on this board. Honestly, I think Seahawks fans care more about style points and power polls more than winning.

He also echoes every coach and player. Pete criticized his own team yesterday;

“It’s kind of embarrassing that we can’t stop a simple trap play,”

We were sloppy in our run fits, again. Unfortunately, we missed some reads on a couple of new plays that they ran.

Most of the players were also quoted saying that they need to get better, so why can't a beat writer say the same things? If anything this is another example of Seattle sports fans having very thin skin when it comes to someone criticizing their teams. Not sure why, but it's a chronic issue in the NW. OMG WE ALL HAVE TO LOVE OUR TEAMS AND CAN NEVER SAY ANYTHING BAD, AND IF ANYONE DOES WE HATE THEM!
Totally agree. Y'all can talk about parity and "any given Sunday" all you want, but the fact is, in St. Louis we stunk. They had statistics for the game we thought our team would have, and the Hawks had theirs. Okay, so St. Louis has been tough the last few games and it was on the road as well. Fine. So after a week of "excellent practice" per Carroll, we go out at home, 12's and all, and fall three touchdowns behind (arguably) the second worst team in the league. Jeez, c'mon. It's pretty obvious to Brewer and all the reporting/talking heads that we have some problems that we need to address. Some of us are willing to admit that, and hope PC gets them fixed pretty soon. The rest of you, go ahead and keep your heads in the sand.

OP
OP
tom sawyer

tom sawyer

Reaction score
What if you ignore the last 5 games of the 2012 season.

And you ignore first 4 games of this season.

Just focus on the NOW!
We are without a lot of great players and we are still winning games!!!

Can't we just stay focused on what we have done well. Jerry is very critical of a team with one broken leg and a sprained arm, and only one eye that keeps finding ways to win games.

Geeez!!

seahawksny

Reaction score
Largent80":2wu243v2 said:
Our first quarters this year are most dreadful. If we correct that, it gets us where we want/need to be.

29 points so far in 9 games?

what's ironic about this stat?

the game that they DID score nicely ( I believe it was 12 point ) was their only loss this year- @Indy

lukerguy

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":qwoupqq8 said:
Are the 9-0 Kansas City Chiefs also just surviving?
Actually yes. And I think Jerry is correct. We played down to our opponents this year rather than beating them handily.

tdlabrie

Reaction score
tom sawyer":2iw6vn82 said:
Actually, I'm not so concerned about the Offense, missing a fair number of people, as the Defense. Our last two games for the Defense were pitiful, and who, exactly, were we missing? Against TB, nobody. Against St. Louis, IIRC Bobby Wagner was out and replaced by Malcolm Smith, who many of you thought was actually better. But that's it. So whazzup?

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2fv9d7nl said:
Is he wrong? I'm mostly sunshine and roses, but I agree that the team can start to play to its level rather than its opponent's.

Gotta agree with this, too many times we come out flat. Gotta turn it around or we are in trouble sooner rather than later.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Mojambo":3eiihozf said:
He's selling newspapers. It's kinda his job.
Yeah seriously. You all clicked on the the article, didn't you? That's how they get paid. Brewer's doing his job. He's not a dick, anyway, it's an opinion piece. He's obviously a fan.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Jerry is applying college football thinking to the team and to NFL football. The points differential is big to him in terms of how should rank any win relative to another. Somehow he infers the team should make beating another team look easy, what freaking arrogance.

On any given Sunday any team in the league can beat another. That's a fact, Jerry. Reality the team won and that is all that is ultimately important. If he wanted just to talk about poor fits defensively and initially awful OLine play I'd be down for that article. Style points mean nothing and there is no score sheet for them either. This team has the best record to this stage of the year of any Seahawks team EVER. Let's both forget that and let's also not forget that was an awesome comeback W.

This team is an amazing 8-1 and they still are not playing their best football yet, and don't have quite a few key players playing. I want to hear Jerry's tune after the OLine returns to full strength and the team finally gets to see Percy playing.

Are there reasons for concern, absolutely, but that article sounds whiney and fails to acknowledge we just witnessed an absolutely terrific come from behind recovery for another W. The W is what is important not the style points.

seahawksny

Reaction score
tdlabrie":3h9orzvx said:
tom sawyer":3h9orzvx said:
Actually, I'm not so concerned about the Offense, missing a fair number of people, as the Defense. Our last two games for the Defense were pitiful, and who, exactly, were we missing? Against TB, nobody. Against St. Louis, IIRC Bobby Wagner was out and replaced by Malcolm Smith, who many of you thought was actually better. But that's it. So whazzup?

I think they were overlooking these teams. Thats it.

drdiags

Reaction score
Brewer is entitled to his opinion but I wish they could do a better job engaging Pete with the tough questions and not yuck it up with him during his press conferences. Our local guys just do not get enough frank discussions from the Seahawks coaching staff as other teams coverage does. Or at least it seems that way to me.

Seems as though Pete will give more access to the national guys than the locals. I feel bad for Tony and Claire. They are no more than hired cheer leaders. The KJR folks would probably do a better job of asking the hard question but their agenda due to Mora/UW/Holmgren affiliations and allegiance doesn't give them a non-biased voice. Danny O'Neil is now just a class clown and Brock/KIRO are too tightly connected to the team to soil the water.

Wish there were some Mike Silvers or others who could peel back the onion and let us inside the building. Don't need confrontational reporting but something besides the softball questions that happen every time the press talks to the coaches or players.

Instead of mocking Wilson's canned answers, see if you can take a deeper look into what his obstacles are that he faces dealing with the OL, the playbook etc. Not his spot he looks to bring himself back into the moment. Lynch needs to be made available to the press, whether he or the team wants it or not. Did he flip off the coaches? Is he hurting more than we know? Is he on-board with the play-calling?

It is a tough job and I wouldn't want it. Athletes are well coached on how to deal with the media, but ESPN is able to get access like E-60's special on Lynch. I would want similar opportunities if I am a local writer.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Insert hand in sock, recite drivel you read on national website which you have tried desperately to make sound like you actually wrote it. And GO!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Doc, totally agreed. After the Colts game, not one reporter asked why play action on 4th and 15 when it is just plain dumb. The Seattle media plays the role of sycophant far too often, and if Brewer had half the balls at pressers he seems to have when writing a piece like this, Pete might have to answer a tough question every so often.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
drdiags":2wsq1fzz said:
Brewer is entitled to his opinion but I wish they could do a better job engaging Pete with the tough questions and not yuck it up with him during his press conferences. Our local guys just do not get enough frank discussions from the Seahawks coaching staff as other teams coverage does. Or at least it seems that way to me.

I like that our reporters and overall media climate is not like other places such as NY, Boston, Philly where it's downright hostile.

Besides, Pete is one of the most savvy coaches when it comes to interacting with the media. Engaging him in a different way isn't going to extract better information, he knows exactly how much information he's going to give up before he even walks into the room.

formido

Reaction score
It's fine to go beyond wins and losses in your criticism. How you win matters in predicting future wins. Style matters. The problem is that so many peoples' sense of style is off. Now, Football Outsiders...there's an outfit with a sense of style. Second best DVOA in the NFL. Vegas, they've got style too. After Denver's 7/2 odds to win the Super Bowl, we're coming in at a dazzling 5/1.

Latest posts