HOF Eligible - Walter Jones, Shaun Alexander, Mike Holmgren

AlaskaHawkFan907

Reaction score
Hey guys, first time posting and since I didnt see any topics relating to this news from yesterday heres a list of 1st year Eligible Players and Coaches to be nominated to the 2014 Hall of Fame. Jones, Alexander, Holmgren is part of this list!!

Pretty good list of names on here and even though I was a huge Shaun Alexander fan. 3x Pro Bowler, MVP, Set NFL TD Record (till LT broke it following year) over 9500 career Rushing yards. And total of 112 career Touchdowns. To me thats HOF numbers! But knowing the Media bias I dont think thats good enough for him to make the HOF. So just wanted to read your thoughts.

Walter Jones and Mike Holmgren for sure will make the HOF no questions asked

http://www.nfl.com/halloffame/story/0ap ... ss-of-2014

SPOHAWK

Reaction score
Would Holmgren go in as a Packer (where he won the SB) or as a Seahawk (where he did not)?

HawkWow

Reaction score
SA will never see the HOF, IMO. Walt will (obviously) be first ballot and Holmgren's achievements, IMO, are inflated to the point where he may be first ballot as well. Not in my book, but I can't vote.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Don't see Alexander getting in any time soon. Walter is practically a guarantee, as is Holmgren albeit as a Packer unfortunately. On a side note, I was really Surprised to see that Tom Flores is not in the HOF.

Basis4day

Reaction score
SPOHAWK":1j5ejbpn said:
Would Holmgren go in as a Packer (where he won the SB) or as a Seahawk (where he did not)?

They don't really do that for Football Hall of fame.

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/Selec ... ssFAQ.aspx

Is a New Hall of Fame Member Enshrined as a Member of a Team?

Obviously, teams take great pride in the accomplishments of individuals who have been a part of their organization. Often individual teams and even the Hall of Fame will list enshrinees according to the team or teams on which they spent a significant period of time. An enshrinee, however, is not asked to “declare,” nor does the Hall of Fame “choose” a team under which a new member is enshrined. When elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, an individual is recognized for his accomplishments as a player, coach, or contributor.
- See more at: http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/Selec ... Sasup.dpuf

The Radish

Reaction score
I too doubt Shaun Alexander ever makes it to the hall even tho he might deserve it.

Walter? Does anyone have a doubt?

I think Mike Holmgren makes it easily. Remember he had a great body of work behind him before he was a Seahawk, and is one of the few coaches to make it to the Superb Owl with 2 different teams. No small accomplishment. Being of that very small club itself is almost a free ticket to the Hall.

:les:

Subzero717

Reaction score
Walt first ballot.

Holmy within 4-5 years. Maybe 2-3 but relatively.

Alexander- I really don't think he gets in but if he does it will be way later. Might be one of those that its been a while and the voters have kind of forgotten about him but they look at a stat sheet. Idk? I don't think he should as unhomer as that sounds.

niveky

Reaction score
if Shaun Alexander would have actually tried to run the last couple of years he was still in the league instead of pulling the stop and drop routine before contact, he would probably still be a respected player and have a decent shot of getting in about 5 to 10 years down the line

Tical21

Reaction score
Shaun is an interesting case. About 30th on the rushing list, but 7th on the all-time rushing TD list. Think about how many points that guy scored in his career. More than every RB that has EVER played the game, sans 6. And they are all HOFers. The next five behind him are HOFers also. As far as the rushing yards, there is only a guy or two with less yards that is in. He is rougly 2,000 yards short from being an automatic inductee, 1000 yards short from being a pretty sure thing. Out of the guys from 20-30 on the list, not many HOFers, although some may still get in. He is as close to the border as humanly possible. I think his attitude and perceived lack of toughness keeps him out, but not by much.

Tical21

Reaction score
Shaun is an interesting case. About 30th on the rushing list, but 7th on the all-time rushing TD list. Think about how many points that guy scored in his career. More than every RB that has EVER played the game, sans 6. And they are all HOFers. The next five behind him are HOFers also. As far as the rushing yards, there is only a guy or two with less yards that is in. He is rougly 2,000 yards short from being an automatic inductee, 1000 yards short from being a pretty sure thing. Out of the guys from 20-30 on the list, not many HOFers, although some may still get in. He is as close to the border as humanly possible. I think his attitude and perceived lack of toughness keeps him out, but not by much.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
If it's me voting, they all make it. But I agree with most on Alexander. Outside of that one year behind an amazing O-line, he never quite dominated the game. When I think HOF, I think of players who were the best or very nearly the best at their position for at least 5+ years.

THE TABS

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":k6pkn48m said:
Walt is first ballot without hesitation.

Mike will get in ... probably not the first time up, however.

Shaun? Nope.

Agree on all three. Walter Jones is the best player in franchise history, and was one of the best in the business for the majority of his career. I'd be SHOCKED if he doesn't go in on the first ballot.

If Jimmy Johnson isn't in yet, that doesn't bode well for Holmgren right away. I think Tony Dungy gets in before him, but will make it eventually.

No chance in hell for Alexander, nor does he deserve to be. The Hall of Fame is reserved for the best of the best, and not for the good to very good.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
If big Walt does not make it in on the first ballot when Ogden and Roaf did, the words "big Walt" will forever be the answer to the question:

"Is there East Coast bias in the NFL?"

Johnny

Reaction score
Big Walt - First Ballot. (if he doesn't make it 1st ballot the system is flawed, Well I guess Michael Irvin made it, so maybe it's already flawed)

Holmgren - 50/50 on him making the Hall. (went to 3 SB and only won one)

Alexander - less than 10% chance he ever makes it. (if he makes it, that would be the end to the HOF)

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Much as I love me some Holmy, I'm not sure he's the lock that everyone thinks he might be. Check the list. There's only 22 coaches in there, and pretty much all of 'em (that I can remember, anyhow, going back to Bud Grant, basically) seem like they've got better resumes than Mike. In a way, it's just another piece of fallout from XL. Holmy wins that, he's in for certain; without it, I think he's on the bubble. Thanks, NFL!

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
THE TABS":1eow47yt said:
If Jimmy Johnson isn't in yet, that doesn't bode well for Holmgren right away. I think Tony Dungy gets in before him, but will make it eventually.

Isn't there some kind of unwritten thing where they kind of hold off on voting coaches in until they are for sure retired from coaching? Didn't Gibbs come back for a couple years after he was inducted? Seems like the voters prefered that that not happen.

Maybe that's why Jimmy hasn't been inducted yet, they're not convinced he's done even those he's been gone for quite some time and keeps saying he's done, but seems like his name surfaces every once in awhile for a head coaching job.... or it could be I'm just talking out my a$$ :D