Hope Pete and John are watching the other NFC teams

sdog1981

Reaction score
Alexander":vibtbr2r said:
There are many ways to build a championship team. Last year, both Super Bowl teams featured weak O-lines and ferocious defenses. This year's playoffs are notable for the absence of truly elite defenses, especially in the NFC.

That being said, this team does need a serious upgrade on the O-line in the offseason. The Hawks don't need an elite O-line like Dallas or Green Bay, .

Dude go look at the low round draft picks the Packers have playing on that line. They cut All-Pro Josh Sitton with a UDFA, that is trust in the coaching staff developing players.

RussB

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3uo9k8nc said:
bmorepunk":3uo9k8nc said:
Dallas' AMAZING offensive line was part of a team that just lost in their first playoff game. At home.

I don't understand your point.

They lost because they gave up 34 points on defense...

Are you saying you wouldn't want a line like Dallas? Lol.
I think hes just one of those guys on here that keeps justifying how horribly bad our line has been the past 2 years.

RussB

Reaction score
Alexander":26w9tpax said:
There are many ways to build a championship team. Last year, both Super Bowl teams featured weak O-lines and ferocious defenses. This year's playoffs are notable for the absence of truly elite defenses, especially in the NFC.

That being said, this team does need a serious upgrade on the O-line in the offseason. The Hawks don't need an elite O-line like Dallas or Green Bay, but they do need one that isn't complete garbage. At some point a weakness becomes so great that it doesn't matter what other strengths you have. I know people like to rip Bevell, but for me it's really hard to judge the offensive gameplan or the playcalling when an O-lineman is whiffing off the snap every other play.
Spot on . They just need a decent line and they can make a run.

Last time they were in the superbowl they had, OKung,sweezy,carpenter. Thats a pretty decent line, its all thats holding the team back. They have a great D they just need protection for wilson to make that final leap again.

Optimus25

Reaction score
zchurch74":14aqrwvr said:
Pittsburgh's first drive they are already utilizing their no name tight end. Pittsburgh has always been great using their tight ends in their offensive attack

This is a game Pete and his gang need to be watching

Bevell goes the exact opposite route. Sign the most athletic tight end in the league and target him less than kearse.

LolaRox

Reaction score
hawkfannj":23uqe1ri said:
You guys know that cable doesn't pick the guys right.

He doesn't pick the guys, but he has plenty of influence on the players, John and Pete have both said so. He also works many of the guys out himself.

sdog1981":23uqe1ri said:
I know right?

The packers only have one first rounder on the line and they can get it done. Quality coaching of UDFA's 4th and 5th rounders.

This is why Cable's thoughts on college offensive lineman not being NFL ready that's why he looks for other guys is such BS. All the teams in the NFL are working from the same talent pool and somehow make it work. They almost all have better lines than the Hawks.

The problem isn't entirely that the talent isn't NFL ready, it's the fact that Cable can't develop a player/line to save his life. Not the top drafts picks, not the conversion experiments, not the the FA that the team picks up. Lots of resources are being wasted on him at the expense of depth at other positions.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
LolaRox":21vxzpvq said:
hawkfannj":21vxzpvq said:
You guys know that cable doesn't pick the guys right.

He doesn't pick the guys, but he has plenty of influence on the players, John and Pete have both said so. He also works many of the guys out himself.

sdog1981":21vxzpvq said:
I know right?

The packers only have one first rounder on the line and they can get it done. Quality coaching of UDFA's 4th and 5th rounders.

This is why Cable's thoughts on college offensive lineman not being NFL ready that's why he looks for other guys is such BS. All the teams in the NFL are working from the same talent pool and somehow make it work. They almost all have better lines than the Hawks.

The problem isn't entirely that the talent isn't NFL ready, it's the fact that Cable can't develop a player/line to save his life. Not the top drafts picks, not the conversion experiments, not the the FA that the team picks up. Lots of resources are being wasted on him at the expense of depth at other positions.

I don't have much idea about what it takes to develop o-linemen. But it does seem fairly obvious to me that guys who have already played offensive line in college are probably farther along in the learning process than say a college basketball player, a college TE, or a converted defensive tackle. But then again what do I know!

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Optimus25":13tn3fhd said:
zchurch74":13tn3fhd said:
Pittsburgh's first drive they are already utilizing their no name tight end. Pittsburgh has always been great using their tight ends in their offensive attack

Bevell goes the exact opposite route. Sign the most athletic tight end in the league and target him less than kearse.

YUP.

It's like he has no clue.

Or he's just an ass.

Or a clueless ass.

All of the above?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
bmorepunk":2v2zmmxu said:
Dallas' AMAZING offensive line was part of a team that just lost in their first playoff game. At home.

And didn't get any further with Romo all those years.

While Wilson got to two Super Bowls with a line that everyone hated as much as this year's.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Optimus25":e1pdj2n8 said:
zchurch74":e1pdj2n8 said:

He wasn't targeted less than Kesrse in the playoffs. But don't let facts get in your way.

Crizilla

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":35pjmvm5 said:
While Wilson got to two Super Bowls with a line that everyone hated as much as this year's.

so wrong. Wtf? I miss Okung, Carpenter, Giacomini, and Unger so much. Pretty sure most fans would rather have that line too...

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2xkh8gkm said:
Optimus25":2xkh8gkm said:
zchurch74":2xkh8gkm said:

He wasn't targeted less than Kesrse in the playoffs. But don't let facts get in your way.

7ecccea86e3c329eed361628bdc8a426

Optimus25

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":bbhf7no9 said:
Optimus25":bbhf7no9 said:
zchurch74":bbhf7no9 said:

I was referring to the season as a whole, and although i certainly understand Graham got more targets, i can tell you as a matter of fact there were plenty of situations where kearse had no business on the field at all, and to top that off he was actually targeted in many of those situations, which i pin solely on Bevell.

Check mate.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Optimus25":z7qc6lpb said:
Siouxhawk":z7qc6lpb said:
Optimus25":z7qc6lpb said:
zchurch74":z7qc6lpb said:

I was referring to the season as a whole, and although i certainly understand Graham got more targets, i can tell you as a matter of fact there were plenty of situations where kearse had no business on the field at all, and to top that off he was actually targeted in many of those situations, which i pin solely on Bevell.

Check mate.

Quite right. And to have Graham blocking half the time he's on the field?

NO-NO-NO.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Optimus25":2wj8tw57 said:
Siouxhawk":2wj8tw57 said:
Optimus25":2wj8tw57 said:
zchurch74":2wj8tw57 said:

Check mate.
First of all, if you have to say 'check mate' you've lost Smalls.

And I'm pretty sure that targets are at the discretion of Russ. I'm not a huge Kearse fan and am pretty sure he'll take a backseat to Lockett and Richardson next year. Graham did set a franchise record for tight end yardage and was second on the team in receptions, so obviously he was being utilized.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Optimus25":21lncaug said:
Siouxhawk":21lncaug said:
Optimus25":21lncaug said:
zchurch74":21lncaug said:

Check mate.

Let's looks at the number of fades in the end zone for starters.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Bevell goes the exact opposite route. Sign the most athletic tight end in the league and target him less than kearse.[/quote]
He wasn't targeted less than Kesrse in the playoffs. But don't let facts get in your way.[/quote]

Check mate.[/quote]

Let's looks at the number of fades in the end zone for starters.[/quote]

Well, for starters let's look at Richardson's play the entire playoffs. That was there, on tap, all season, minus one game for injury. And Bevell constantly kept kearse ahead of him, bottling up all those dynamic plays that could have been. The utter failure to flat out force defenses to account for Richardson is a glaring failure right now, and proves Bevells inability to evolve.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Optimus25":12i79hw7 said:
He wasn't targeted less than Kesrse in the playoffs. But don't let facts get in your way.[/quote]

Check mate.[/quote]

Well, for starters let's look at Richardson's play the entire playoffs. That was there, on tap, all season, minus one game for injury. And Bevell constantly kept kearse ahead of him, bottling up all those dynamic plays that could have been. The utter failure to flat out force defenses to account for Richardson is a glaring failure right now, and proves Bevells inability to evolve.[/quote]

I was going to call //thread// earlier, but now I think it is official

//thread//

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Optimus25":b9m2ldz3 said:

Check mate.[/quote]

Well, for starters let's look at Richardson's play the entire playoffs. That was there, on tap, all season, minus one game for injury. And Bevell constantly kept kearse ahead of him, bottling up all those dynamic plays that could have been. The utter failure to flat out force defenses to account for Richardson is a glaring failure right now, and proves Bevells inability to evolve.[/quote]
I really doubt on-field personnel groupings is the sole responsibility of one individual. Thinking it's a group effort when designing the gameplan.Also, I have a hunch playing time is earned in practice. Richardson likely will supplant Kearse next season, but it took a meteoric rise by him in these playoffs.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score

Check mate.[/quote]

I really doubt on-field personnel groupings is the sole responsibility of one individual. Thinking it's a group effort when designing the gameplan.Also, I have a hunch playing time is earned in practice. Richardson likely will supplant Kearse next season, but it took a meteoric rise by him in these playoffs.