How are teams selected to play in London

Basis4day

Reaction score
kidhawk":3g69pl4s said:
Let me be more clear, and I don't expect an answer because truly only the front offices of teams would know the answer, but my question is specifically in regards to season ticket sales but could possibly include all home game ticket sales. Teams generally price all seats the same across the season for the Season Ticket holder, so let's say for example, a seat was $100 per game and the season ticket was $1,000. I am curiuos if that season ticket holder is now paying $900 or if they raised the price of the ticket to say $111 per game to make the season tickets cost similar to when they weren't in London. I'd be interested to know if they did that. Even if they only increased it by a few dollars just to get a few extra on the side. I'm sure nobody but the team's front office knows this, so I am going to just have to remain curious about it.

The best way to find that out would be to go to the Jags board and ask about season ticket price by year. By design at least they are charged for the 7 regular season games + the two preseason games. You would then need to adjust for normal inflation to see if a team is trying to double dip the way you are suggesting.

Rex

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":3389ps94 said:
Rex":3389ps94 said:
Sgt. Largent":3389ps94 said:
Well from the track record of what teams have been going I'd say the selection process goes like this;

1. Do you stink?
2. If yes, are your fans apathetic and wouldn't care if you lost a home game?
3. If yes, do you like more money?
4. If yes, you're our team!

Not so. The Rams played the Cheatriots in London. Its voluntary and perhaps a way to gain favor with the league office.

That is all. LOL

Yeah the Rams the team ahead of the Seahawks in the standings thus far the entire season.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Rams played the Pats, however, Rams were the home team and so the Pats didn't give up a home game for their fans. If you look at the home teams from the list, the home team is always either a team with a losing record or a small market as described in the article I posted above.

The visiting team gets the global exposure but doesn't give up a home game.

Here is the full list:

2007: Giants (5-2) vs. Dolphins (0-7)
2008: Chargers (3-4) vs. Saints (3-4)
2009: Patriots (4-2) vs. Buccaneers (0-6)
2010: Broncos (2-5) vs. 49ers (1-6)
2011: Bears (3-3) vs. Buccaneers (4-2)
2012: Patriots (4-3) vs. Rams (3-4)
2013: Steelers (0-3) vs. Vikings (0-3)
2013: 49ers (5-2) vs. Jaguars (0-7)
2014: Dolphins (1-2) vs. Raiders (0-3)
2014: Lions (5-2) vs. Falcons (2-5)
2014: Cowboys (6-3) vs. Jaguars (1-8)
2015: Jets (2-1) vs. Dolphins (1-2)
2015: Bills (3-3) vs. Jaguars (1-5)
2015: Lions (1-6 or 2-5) vs. Chiefs (1-6 or 2-5)

Current stat is that no "home" London team has ever finished with a winning record. Dolphins or KC can change that this year. Maybe Miami if they stay on this tear they are on.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Threedee":1yt45eto said:
I thought there were only two games in London each season, but this will already be the third, at least.

It was expanded to 3 a year now - there were 3 last year also. I think they are also trying to add in another International location for next 2016 or 2017 - Mexico City, Berlin or Toronto have been mentioned.

rideaducati

Reaction score
kidhawk":2oc7hi6s said:
Basis4day":2oc7hi6s said:
kidhawk":2oc7hi6s said:
I'm curious how much (if any) are the season tickets discounted for the teams that play a home game in London. Are they cutting prices by 10% or did they have a simultaneous per game increase to keep revenues from home sales closer to even?

The season ticket holders are charged for 7 regular season games instead of 8.

Articles state that the Home team gets a 1 million dollar incentive as well as a greater % of the London game tickets and merch. Throw in a sellout crowd of 84,021 for a Home team like the Jags at Wembley and it makes financial sense for a team that struggles to sell-out.

Home teams (as far as I know) sell pre season as part of their package, making it 10 games not 8. My question was have teams going to London raised ticket prices, offsetting most of this single game move or are teams actually letting them save money. Teams raise prices all the time. It wouldn't be difficult for a team to sneak a little extra increase into the ticket sales in the hopes of getting a little extra cash.

We won't know how teams do this until the Packers play a home game overseas. NFL owners refuse to open their books to show anyone how much they are actually making.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
rideaducati":2acczsh7 said:
We won't know how teams do this until the Packers play a home game overseas. NFL owners refuse to open their books to show anyone how much they are actually making.

Which is precisely why we'll never see the Packers play a home game overseas.

Latest posts