How can the Seahawks fix its defense ?

Chawker

Reaction score
Get rid of Cody Barton from the team, a long with Poona Ford.

Move Boya Mafe to MLB to replace Barton, move Taylor to the blind side, Nwosu to the SAM piston.

Starting line :Harris, Woods, Johnson

We need a wonderful changes on defense. I'am tired of watching Cody Barton running after players and not attacking the dam ball.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It is usually on those players when one or two players have challenges.
But when many or most of the players have problems?
It usually isn't the players that are the problem.

toffee

Reaction score
A few steps:
  1. fix the coaching hierarchy, this Desai and Hurtt each doing something isn't working. Players look confused and hesitate, without discipline. All pointed at coaching issue.
  2. Sit some of the under performing veterans once the coaching bit is clarified. I will start with Poona and Taylor, Poona got his contract and suddenly started sucking? no good.
  3. Start more rookies, Boye need to takeover more snaps from Taylor.
  4. Sign couple of stop gap FAs, SS and LB especially.
My 2p.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I don't think that they need to replace anyone just have them stay true to their gaps and stop freelancing.

The tackling improved in week 3 but the setting of the edges and the ILB support was absent so the team got run on by ATL..

The OLBs also need to start rushing inside more rather than just around the edges.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I don't think that they need to replace anyone just have them stay true to their gaps and stop freelancing.

The tackling improved in week 3 but the setting of the edges and the ILB support was absent so the team got run on by ATL..

The OLBs also need to start rushing inside more rather than just around the edges.
Hmm, the no kneejerk, "COMMON SENSE" approach? ...I like it....A LOT!

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Cody Barton can be good but he needs to do a better job closing the gap. Sometimes he sets an edge so wide that over containment leads to gaping truck lanes for running backs to gallop through. This was were Jamal was great when healthy. D was designed for sure 2 deep safeties however with Jamal playing mostly in the box. Does the philosophy change now? Shouldn’t. Need overall better positioning, better reads and better shedding blocks and tackling. I feel like this is a make it or break it year for Barton. Blake Martinez remains a free agent we might want to explore

nanomoz

Reaction score
Both Barton and Brooks have been horrendous. The tackle numbers are a red herring. Awful, awful, awful.

Also, Poona doesn't contain well at the edge. He's not long enough. It's not his fault. But he's playing out of position terribly. Collier might even be better at 5-tech. They'd probably even be better off with Woods at 5 and Poona at 1.

Rat

Reaction score
I thought wed see a lot more of Taylor than we have. I hope that's coming. I really thought this would be his breakout year.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Our LB are bottom of the league in run D. That’s all you need to know about our issues. The only fix is drafting right, and FA.

But one quick fix, is firing the DC. Why was he the guy to hire? There are lots of high level proven DC we could have hired.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I thought wed see a lot more of Taylor than we have. I hope that's coming. I really thought this would be his breakout year.
I think PFF had him last in pass rush for the NFL and towards the bottom vs the run.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Skip drafting a QB this year and start from the D-line and out.
Por que no dos? Should be two high picks to help on either side of the ball. QB will take more than a season to get things under control so any season we delay pushes true competitiveness one year further down the line.

GemCity

Reaction score
Por que no dos? Should be two high picks to help on either side of the ball. QB will take more than a season to get things under control so any season we delay pushes true competitiveness one year further down the line.
I know it sounds crazy. Especially in a draft that supposedly has a lot of talent at the position. Couple that with no Hawks fan, in this forum or not, believes that Geno or Lock will take us far.

But you can’t win games when you’re bottom dwelling on defense.

We’re more than a year out…this thing is going to take 3+.

We’ve got a good start on the O-line. It’s time to do the same on the D-line. LB after.

If we don’t follow that path, I still hope we don’t grab a QB before the third. We have too many holes and if what we’re seeing now is any indication of what this season is going to look like, QB isn’t really a priority (yet).

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
I know it sounds crazy. Especially in a draft that supposedly has a lot of talent at the position. Couple that with no Hawks fan, in this forum or not, believes that Geno or Lock will take us far.

But you can’t win games when you’re bottom dwelling on defense.

We’re more than a year out…this thing is going to take 3+.

We’ve got a good start on the O-line. It’s time to do the same on the D-line. LB after.

If we don’t follow that path, I still hope we don’t grab a QB before the third. We have too many holes and if what we’re seeing now is any indication of what this season is going to look like, QB isn’t really a priority (yet).
Although their drafting has been highly suspect at times (I literally cannot get Eskridge over Creed out of my head), Schneider has been super solid with his QB crushes. He talked Pete into Russ and wanted to trade for the #1 pick for both Allen and Mahomes. If he sees the QB of the future with a high pick next year, I want them to take the QB. I'd prefer one of our picks to be low enough to not have to bundle any other picks to move up for it. I know this isn't a one year reset but I also don't want to have another year of mediocrity while a rookie QB gets up to speed because they waited.

Rainger

Reaction score
Get rid of Cody Barton from the team, a long with Poona Ford.

Move Boya Mafe to MLB to replace Barton, move Taylor to the blind side, Nwosu to the SAM piston.

Starting line :Harris, Woods, Johnson

We need a wonderful changes on defense. I'am tired of watching Cody Barton running after players and not attacking the dam ball.
MY god I am so glad you are not the HC of the Hawks.