How can the Seahawks fix its defense ?

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
I agree with the idea that the DL play in the new 3-4 hasn’t eaten up the necessary blockers to allow the LB corp and the defensive back field to run unblocked to make plays. Couple that with new coaches and young starters and I think you have to expect that Pete is going to step in and attempt figure out a solution.
I know there are a significant amount of posters and lurkers who think Pete has lost it. Your welcome to your opinion. IMO he couldn’t co-exist with Russ for several years before this trade. He was caught in the middle and the personnel decisions were the result of not having a clear direction.
Now that the air has cleared a bit with Russ OTD, I think the healing has begun and the Seahawks will have a chance at another run under Pete and John. Winning big requires everyone rowing in the same direction. We need patience right now.
First objective;STOP THE RUN

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Championship teams are built from the trenches out. We did a nice job on the offensive side of the trench this year. Time to work on the opposite side.

Some of the issues we are seeing with our LBs and secondary are a direct result of a weak front 3.

I'd be fine using our first two picks on stud D-linemen, and let Schneider do his magic finding a capable QB later in the draft, or in 2024.

I'm also fairly happy with letting the current crop go through some growing pains, not moving on too hastily, let them compete, and see who has developed into a capable player, worth keeping around, by the end of the season.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Get rid of Cody Barton from the team, a long with Poona Ford.

Move Boya Mafe to MLB to replace Barton, move Taylor to the blind side, Nwosu to the SAM piston.

Starting line :Harris, Woods, Johnson

We need a wonderful changes on defense. I'am tired of watching Cody Barton running after players and not attacking the dam ball.

Are you serious? Boye Mafe is not suited for the MLB role. You'd be putting him in a position where you are misusing his strengths.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Mafe needs to stay and just get more snaps.

I do agree that next year the Seahawks must get bigger and stronger at MLB. But another issue is keeping the linebackers clean. Defensive line gets eaten up too many times and lets the linebackers get blown up. The LBs are too slow and weak to diagnose and impact plays. But damn, Mafe should replace Taylor fairly soon.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Somewhere, KNJ is laughing.
Yes, but we know he’s laughing at himself.

He had some of us here fooled for a while that he was more than a good capable LBs coach. He’s laughing b/c he got paid asa DC.

He was awful as a DC.

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

He had some of fooled for a while that he was more than a good capable LBs coach. He’s laughing b/c he got paid asa DC.

He was awful as a DC.
He was in over his head, but he's probably one of the best LB coaches alive. KJ Wright has the man's jersey framed in his house.

Seems like a deserving guy, even if it didn't work out.

James in PA

Reaction score

He had some of fooled for a while that he was more than a good capable LBs coach. He’s laughing b/c he got paid asa DC.

He was awful as a DC.
Oh, I agree. I just didn't think it was possible for a defense to look worse to start a season than the Seahawks did the past couple of years. Yet, this new staff has managed to do so thus far.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I think most of us expected them to take their lumps. As long as they improve overall as the season goes on, we're good.

BASF

Reaction score
Fire Aaron Curry! The linebackers have all regressed in play since they hired him.

Replace Poona on the line. I love him. He is my favorite Seahawk, but he is not suited to two gap as all three linemen need to do in a 3-4.

Clean up Brooks pre-snap reads. He needs to get in the film room and learn the tells of the offense. He is calling slants for the D-Line in the opposite direction of where the play is going. This has happened dozens of times in just three games.

Get the young DB's up to speed on diagnosing running plays. Far too many times we have seen our corners not even begin to crash down on the fits to the outside because they are too focused on covering their receivers. They need to be able to recognize the different footwork when the receiver is looking to block them and when they are going out on a route.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Wyman was talking about how some of the guys are out of position. Geez man, you'd think they would put the right guys in the right place.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He was in over his head, but he's probably one of the best LB coaches alive. KJ Wright has the man's jersey framed in his house.

Seems like a deserving guy, even if it didn't work out.
I agree that he was a great LBs coach, and he certainly was deserving of a shot as a DC but in both opportunities he was just awful.

Pete allowed him to stay around too long after the real KNJ as a DC was revealed. Pete’s initial instincts were right in passing Norton over for Richard which caused him to leave to go to Oakland, but he screwed up in bringing him back after he spectacularly failed there. Pete compounded the problem keeping him here for one lousy season after another.

Norton’s peak is likely coaching college ball or as a LBs coach .

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Wyman was talking about how some of the guys are out of position. Geez man, you'd think they would put the right guys in the right place.

Doesn't the defense do this every season?

Start out terrible and eventually they figure some things out? Add in a much younger roster and new scheme, and it's not surprising they're playing so terribly.

So I do think they'll get a little better as the season progresses. But not much better. This is probably the worst D-line we've had since pre-SB teams. Especially at the D-end.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I think the defense should start cheating or something. Figure something out with their uniforms, cleats, whatever. Two sided tape. Stickum. I don't care. Just get the job done and win.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Guys like Norton and Singletary were great position coaches. Not so much as DC or HC.

Hurtt, I expect more from the DLine, being that he was a DLine coach. Maybe a healthy Harris back in the starting line up will help.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Guys like Norton and Singletary were great position coaches. Not so much as DC or HC.

Hurtt, I expect more from the DLine, being that he was a DLine coach. Maybe a healthy Harris back in the starting line up will help.

Just as I said with Norton, I don't understand why fans are mad at coordinators when the talent they've been given to work with is literally top 2-3 worst lines in the entire league.

What D-End group is worse in the league than Jefferson, Harris, Ford and Adams. There might be some Canadian football teams with a better D-end group than this.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
One only hopes with Harris back. The talent is there but the execution isn't.

It is clear though that the D has been abysmal at setting the edge on run plays so there is always an open lane on either edge. In result the team is being run on at will. This seems to be a schematic weakness the way the two DEs are playing and the ILBs are failing to fill that open space or freelancing when they need to be staying in their lanes. My thinking is there needs to be better DLine coaching to address this and better or smarter play from the ILBs.