How can the Seahawks fix its defense ?

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Ha
Just as I said with Norton, I don't understand why fans are mad at coordinators when the talent they've been given to work with is literally top 2-3 worst lines in the entire league.

What D-End group is worse in the league than Jefferson, Harris, Ford and Adams. There might be some Canadian football teams with a better D-end group than this.
Harris doesn’t suck he’s injured. Need to stack next offseason though

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Ha

Harris doesn’t suck he’s injured. Need to stack next offseason though

Harris is 31 and on the downward slope of his career, and effectiveness. As we're finding out, he's already hurt and being called out by his teammates for mailing it in (Diggs).

He can still be effective, but make no mistake we took him in the trade because Denver wanted to dump salary to sign Gregory.

My point is stop making these dumb threads about coordinators. It's lazy. Not the issue with this defense, it's young, developing and not even close to talented enough at any of the three levels to put ANY of this at the feet of Hurtt.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Oh, I agree. I just didn't think it was possible for a defense to look worse to start a season than the Seahawks did the past couple of years. Yet, this new staff has managed to do so thus far.

Then, maybe we should point the finger at those acquiring players. Stop getting cute. Stop getting light in the pants nice guys and go get flat out dawgs! Mean as hell, but guys that are smart enough to play within our system.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Just as I said with Norton, I don't understand why fans are mad at coordinators when the talent they've been given to work with is literally top 2-3 worst lines in the entire league.

What D-End group is worse in the league than Jefferson, Harris, Ford and Adams. There might be some Canadian football teams with a better D-end group than this.
With Norton, it was the dump offs over the short middle, over, and over, and over, and over again without ANY adjustment, throughout multiple games.

With Hurtt, not writing him off. Just expect more, that's all. Need more talent, that's for sure.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
With Norton, it was the dump offs over the short middle, over, and over, and over, and over again without ANY adjustment, throughout multiple games.

With Hurtt, not writing him off. Just expect more, that's all. Need more talent, that's for sure.

Football is a chess game, if you don't have all the chess pieces good teams and good coaches are going to kick your ass all over the field.

This defense was switched over to the 3-4 to;

- hide some of it's glaring lack of DE edge rushers
- to try to see if it was a better fit for Jamal Adams
- go small and fast at the LB position without Wagner anchoring the middle anymore

None of this has worked. None of it. Bad at all three levels. Exhume Vince Lombardi himself, and he couldn't make chicken salad out of this chicken crap we're running out there each week.

knownone

Reaction score
It seems to me that personnel and scheme fit are the primary issues. A 34 defense tends to utilize bigger, physical linebackers, and we're out there with two undersized inside backers and a very unphysical Darrell Taylor to go along with Nwosu. Pete hinted at this in his press conference, which is why they will give Mafe and Johnson more playing time.

Hopefully, these moves make a difference in run defense.

morgulon1

Reaction score
It seems to me that personnel and scheme fit are the primary issues. A 34 defense tends to utilize bigger, physical linebackers, and we're out there with two undersized inside backers and a very unphysical Darrell Taylor to go along with Nwosu. Pete hinted at this in his press conference, which is why they will give Mafe and Johnson more playing time.

Hopefully, these moves make a difference in run defense.
It seems like a 3-4 has different body type DE as well.

James in PA

Reaction score
You guys know what's going to happen, don't you? The D will eventually turn it around and look pretty good at times this season. Right around that time is when the O will completely go in the toilet (not that it's a juggernaut now). Throw in 1 or 2 games ruined by special teams. Then, we can look forward to hearing "we just need to put together a complete team effort."

Chevy

Reaction score
Championship teams are built from the trenches out. We did a nice job on the offensive side of the trench this year. Time to work on the opposite side.

Some of the issues we are seeing with our LBs and secondary are a direct result of a weak front 3.

I'd be fine using our first two picks on stud D-linemen, and let Schneider do his magic finding a capable QB later in the draft, or in 2024.

I'm also fairly happy with letting the current crop go through some growing pains, not moving on too hastily, let them compete, and see who has developed into a capable player, worth keeping around, by the end of the season.
Our 3-4 DEs defiantly need to be upgraded. One of our priority 2023 free agent targets should be Washington DT (for us he would be DE) Daron Payne. Payne is a former 1st pick, he is great against the run and can bull his way into the backfield. He will only be 26 years old next year. He is 6'3" 320 lbs, he can probably play NT, but I'm sure he wouldn't sign with a team asking him to be a NT. So sign him and plug him in as one of our DEs.

Daron Payne highlight...

Then with our top-10 1st round pick (maybe with a small trade down) Clemson DT Bryan Bresee (for us he would be a DE). Bresee is a protype 3-4 DE, I would compare him to former Texans DE JJ Watt.

Bryan Bresee highlight...

Then mid-2nd round. Michigan freak NT Mazi Smith 6'3" 326 lbs. IMO Smith is probably going to be a better NT/DT than the Eagles past 1st round pick DT Jordan Davis.

Mazi Smith highlight...

These players would be elite run stuffers while also having the traits and previous production to collapse the QB pocket.

LDE Bryan Bresee 6'5" 300 lbs, NT Mazi Smith 6'3" 326 lbs, RDE Daron Payne 6'3" 320lbs = dominate 3-4 d-line!

Last edited:

cymatica

Reaction score
KJ Wright eluded to this as well on the Brock and Salk show.
Yet the coaches, who should know better, rolled with a bunch of misfits and the same vanilla looks.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I'm no scheme guru but I believe this is system that the Seahawks are trying to get to - https://www.vivathematadors.com/201...rstedts-3-4-defense-linebackers-and-secondary

Sort of makes sense since Brooks' is the focal LB and he played at Texas Tech in college. We know the majority of the DL was successful last season in run stopping. So if they shifed to 4-3 over shift (as the article above mentions) maybe that could be a solution for now. Taylor also had lots of success as in that formation. If Taylor isn't a fit, then Mafe/Nwosu could be the answer. They need to help their young secondary out by stuffing the run and getting pressure (if not sacks). Neither are happening currently.