How close are the Seahawks to a Superbowl run?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
HolyCatfish this is a hit take.

Have you ever looked at what this team has actually accomplished under PC?
If you have did you happen to compare it to every other NFL team during the same timeframe.

I get frustrated too but ……

I have. Never getting past the second round in a decade. Why does anybody think thats going to change now? Especially with Geno Smith as the QB. I just cant see it happening. In a perfect world, Pete will build some talent and ride off into the sunset with a different coach getting a chance to push us over the top.

Rainger

Reaction score
I have. Never getting past the second round in a decade. Why does anybody think thats going to change now? Especially with Geno Smith as the QB. I just cant see it happening. In a perfect world, Pete will build some talent and ride off into the sunset with a different coach getting a chance to push us over the top.
And in a perfect world you will ride off into the sunset from this site, go onto the STEALERS site and stop your hatred, and Tolling, and trying to bring down all the people on this site who are wanting to be positive about the team and the site. You are still butt hurt that you know SB 40 wasn't legitimately won by your Stealers.

Obviously PC declined recruiting you from the pitt panthers and you have a big hate on him. He was obviously right cause all you can do is cast shit on this board.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Not sure about that. His username and the conditions by which he came to this board (see his/her first posts) suggest this isn't his preferred place to fan.

What kind of person would be a fan of another team yet post actively on another team's fan board for years?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I guess I am just obtuse because regardless of his user name, I just assumed he was still a Seahawks fan regardless of his endless cynicism.

Reactions: LTH

Rainger

Reaction score
I guess I am just obtuse because regardless of his user name, I just assumed he was still a Seahawks fan regardless of his endless cynicism.

View attachment 58977
HUH??? So would you go to all your sons football games and the whole time call out your son for being terrible and every play he F'ed up on?

Would you tell your wife every day how she isn't good enough and until she is gone your life wont be better??

Would you do that year after year after year but say you loved your wife???

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Not sure about that. His username and the conditions by which he came to this board (see his/her first posts) suggest this isn't his preferred place to fan.

I've been a Seahawk fan since 76'. My daughter played soccer for Pitt. Now you know.

Rainger

Reaction score
I've been a Seahawk fan since 76'. My daughter played soccer for Pitt. Now you know.
Thank you, glad to know that. BUT maybe you could find a way to not be sooooo negative about the team and Pete.

If you are a FAN since 76 then how can you not appreciate that Pete brought you a SB after such a long fast? Has he made mistakes? Sure. Is he the best HC the team has ever had? Absolutly.

Have some positivity and help will them on to another SB rather than trying to bring them down! You will be surprised how positive VIBES can affect the universe and the HAWKS!

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Sorry I have no confidence in Pete Carroll. Like i've said for years, he's a great motivator and has/had an eye for talent, but I feel he gets outcoached in the X's and O's arena a lot and he needs optimal talent to succeed because of that. When the Hawks went to Super Bowls under Pete, they had a historically good defense, a RB that led the league in yards after contact, and a young QB that turned out to be the best QB in franchise history. He'll never have those elements again and he cant overcome it from a coaching standpoint. It was the same even at USC. He needed all-star teams to succeed.

12forlife

Reaction score
I think that we need one more draft, and those draft picks need a year under their belt, so I'll say our potential SB window opens in 2025 and stays open for 4 to 5 years.
Agree 100%. I think we have to hope they find their QBOTF next draft. We have the Oline & offensive fire power to bring in a young QB to thrive

bileever

Reaction score
Let's not go crazy here--we're not close to making a run for the Super Bowl. And I think we're going to struggle to get back to 9-8. The 49ers were 13-4 in the regular season last year, and they had three fluky losses to the Bears, Broncos and Falcons. So even though we may have narrowed the gap, the 49ers are still the better team by a wide margin.

We also don't know what this defense is going to look like in 2023. There hasn't been a major shift in coaches or scheme, and the personnel issues, while improved, hasn't been fixed yet. By all means, get on Indeed and Craigslist and find yourself a nose tackle and a linebacker if you can, but then again, how are we gonna pay for it? And although the offense looks good on paper, there won't be any real improvement until the line improves.

I hope I'm not coming across as negative, I'm just trying to be realistic. I like the direction we're going, and I think that we've made some good additions. But just because we got ourselves some good draft picks, rookies, no matter how good, are not going to win you the Super Bowl. So get a hold of yourself, cool your jets, chillax, hold your horses, and simmer down.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Pete tried to win with the "Pay-your-limited-franchise-QB-top-dollar" model after paying Russell and it simply didn't work. Couldn't get enough talent under the salary cap. Now I see him going back to his original winning "college program" model, with adaptations.

Pete's SB-Winning "Original Formula"
- A cheap O-Line that is big, powerful, young, pushes people around in the run game but sucks at pass pro
- A cheap-but-good QB who is mobile and elusive enough to work around crappy pass pro
- Investing savings on offense into creating an elite defense, picking up free agents that outplay their contracts

- Superb and deep DBs (Pete's coaching specialty)
- Speed, speed, and more speed in LB group
- DL rotation of a bunch of JAGs that play above their JAG status
- An offense that can run the ball on anyone, with a bell-cow back that opposing defenses have to respect
- Deep shots set up by the run game
- Special Teams excellence, players kept because they ball out on ST
- Tons of players massively outperforming their contracts, "Moneyball"
- Always compete, and always looking to improve the roster top-to-bottom, so Next-Man-Up performance gap is smaller
- Team culture and "I'm In!"

Adaptations:
- Instead of ELITE young defense, I think Carrol is adapting to go for an elite offense that protects a "slightly above average" D by maintaining possession
- Cheap but GOOD young O-Linemen, hit in the draft, Pass Pro skills now required
- QB not required to be as elusive, but must read defenses, and running an on-schedule offense that gets ball out quicker
- Bringing in offensive mind with more modern ideas (Waldron)
- On offense, a little less "impose our will" by brute force, and a little more use of deception and targeting matchup advantages
- A wider range of CB body types, not just Sherman-Browner-Simon, but a variety that can stick with small, quick Julian Edelman types
- Deeper Edge rusher rotation, losing Cliff Avril in SB49 cost Hawks the game
- (I hope) a wider range of defensive looks and deception beyond the Cover 3 that the rest of the league adapted to

I see enough elements that a Super Bowl run is possible in 2023, but not likely. I'd be happy with a Divisional Round win. Philly and maybe SF seem too strong for the Hawks to win the NFC. But then, injuries... With a year of good injury luck, better than other teams' luck, anything can happen... I feel like 2024 is a more realistic target to win the NFC and get to the Owl.

What other "elements" of Pete's winning formula do people see present, and what adaptations from earlier iterations of the formula?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Sorry I have no confidence in Pete Carroll. Like i've said for years, he's a great motivator and has/had an eye for talent, but I feel he gets outcoached in the X's and O's arena a lot and he needs optimal talent to succeed because of that. When the Hawks went to Super Bowls under Pete, they had a historically good defense, a RB that led the league in yards after contact, and a young QB that turned out to be the best QB in franchise history. He'll never have those elements again and he cant overcome it from a coaching standpoint. It was the same even at USC. He needed all-star teams to succeed.
You're ignoring Carroll's superpowers in player development. Waldron is helping make up the gap in Xs and Os on offense, but yeah, on defense there is still a talent gap and the Xs and Os are questionable. Also Carroll's loyalty to underachieving assistant coaches hurts him... well, he's improved on that, now to see if Clint Hurtt can perform better with shiny new toys in his second year.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Hey Pitt... Thanks for the opinion always glad to hear what you have to say! I don't need to say where I stand because you already know.

PSYCH!!! LMAO!!!!!

Seahawks to the SB BABY!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!

LTH

Rainger

Reaction score
OMG!!! He put together that historically good defense, he changed the way teams played with CB's and safeties, he changed the way teams used defense in the NFL, he went and got Lynch to pound the rock when the rest of the league had gone away from running, and he gave a hungry QB a chance to start even though the team signed another QB for 10mil.

This is my point your Pete derangement syndrome has your brain in such an emotional brain lock that you see no logic through your emotional hatred.

To say he will never get those elements again when he did it before shows your obsessed hatred and reveals so much how you obviously approach life. I feel really sorry for you as a person, that you can not find any good in the world and only want him to fail to prove your perverse attitude is right.

Edit: Though you say you have been a fan since 76 your post suggests otherwise. I suggest you only started following them after they won the SB and have no knowledge of how, BECAUSE of PC, they actually got there. He built those teams that went to the SB!

Last edited:

themunn

Reaction score

Yes, that's typically the parts needed for ANY team to win a superbowl - 7 of the last 9 superbowls have been won by all-star teams led by Brady, Mahomes or (Peyton) Manning, with teams that have had top of the league defenses and superstar players across the board. The 2017 Eagles are probably the exception of the last decade. The Rams destroyed their salary cap to get one and have had to carve out half of the team just to keep afloat.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
I think the questions that need to be answered are, do they need veteran help on the D line? If they do, how are they going to pay for it? If they can't get the veteran help they need, then did they pick well enough in the draft to coach up the rookies to be adequate? Do udfa's like Cooper make the 53 man roster and if they do are they going to be effective .

It's obvious why Carroll is making more of an emphasis on character guys with something to prove. He needs those rookies to contribute.

The Seahawks knew going into the draft they didn't have any money left in FA. The question now becomes did they really get who they wanted in the draft? it feels like they got some of them...They already said they missed a couple of players they wanted.

Now the question becomes is the coaching staff good enough to coach up these high character guys with something to prove into players that can be productive in there first year?

look at last year and you have no choice but to see the production that rookie class produced. Why did it happen that way? Was it the player? Was it the coaching? Was it the culture in the locker room or maybe it was an organizational win in general.

if it was an organizational win, then why would it not be possible to do the same thing they did last year, only advance further with the same or another organizational victory this year?

Now the question is how far can they take this group? We don't really know., nobody knows. Pete would say pump the juice baby and let's see where we land...

Someone important said never let anybody define your success. I don't even think Carroll defines anybody success other than believing that anything is possible if you work hard enough and you believe. I mean thats a total Pete Carroll thing. So in my mind it's crazy to put limits on how good this team is going to be?

We could be asking that question through the first ten games and maybe beyond. How long will it take for this team to settle into scheme and start playing great football to there potential? Ever year is different as to when a team finds its identity and then becomes comfortable with it and playing free.

I don't know what's going to happen...

So to answer the question how close are the Seahawks to a SB run?

They are as close as living up to their potential, and beliving in each other, will take them..

LTH

CPHawk

Reaction score
Our D has to improve significantly to be a SB contender. Smith and the O aren’t carrying the team to the sb.

WarHawks

Reaction score
This feels like 2012 to me, but without a star rookie qb who is quickly developing.