How do you feel when.....

Hawk4lyfe

Reaction score
Russell Wilson just throws those balls up in the air "allowing the wr to make a play"? I feel like its a careless play, with no creativity, and its more or less relying on luck. I personally hate that play call, unless we are behind and need big plays. Seems like Wilsons throws are off target as much as on, and if our wr (tate) didn't make their plays, it would be picked off. when Tate is 1 on 1, I get the odds are in our favor. But what about when its 2 on 1, or 3 on 1?

what do you guys think?

mrblitz

Reaction score
if it's single coverage, particularly to tate, willson, or miller, i'd throw that all day long. on the other hand, when it gets to being double coverage on lockette, then it's a bad decision.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I think there is more art and skill to it then you think. Watch Aaron Rodgers, he lives off those same back shoulder fade routes. The Giants did a good job covering them today and the Seahawks weren't able to make the plays, but thats more of the exception than the rule. Its a good way to take advantage of off zone coverage and I've seen the Seahawks convert quite a few third downs with those back shoulder routes at the sticks. The interception was a misread and a bad throw, not an overall schematic issue.

Also worth noting that the Seahawks explicitly teach their corners to stay on the back hip so that they aren't susceptible to those throws.

OP
OP
H

Hawk4lyfe

Reaction score
seahawk2k":1pz8d1f6 said:
I think there is more art and skill to it then you think. Watch Aaron Rodgers, he lives off those same back shoulder fade routes. The Giants did a good job covering them today and the Seahawks weren't able to make the plays, but thats more of the exception than the rule. Its a good way to take advantage of off zone coverage and I've seen the Seahawks convert quite a few third downs with those back shoulder routes at the sticks. The interception was a misread and a bad throw, not an overall schematic issue.

Also worth noting that the Seahawks explicitly teach their corners to stay on the back hip so that they aren't susceptible to those throws.

alright, I see your point. When its open, and the receiver has his guy beat, I get it. But when he just chucks it up (and the wr often has to come back, cuz its underthrown) and he expects the wr to win the jump ball, it just feels like a prayer play. I'm not questioning Wilson per say, just that play at times. 1 vs 1 id take all day too. Id rather just see the guys get in the open spot in the zone or Wilson run for 5 or 6. my 2 cents. wondering how others feel tho

keasley45

Reaction score
Dont care for it either. Yeah, its worked a few times this year (hasnt hurt us a bunch) but i'd hate to see us have to rely on it for the big play. Yes, we're 12-2 and i'm as happy as anyone, but it seems like tossing up a ball up on what amounts to slightly better than 50-50 odds isnt them most reliable of strategies - particularly when the wr is a 2nd year player not known for making those type of plays. If we had megatron, sure, toss it up and let him go get it. But its iffy even with Tate 1 on 1. And... today's version was on 1st down.

OP
OP
H

Hawk4lyfe

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just being overly critical because the playoffs are coming up, and I want the team to be peaking and playing at their best.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
It's a terrific throw against single coverage if you can throw an accurate and catchable ball. Some of Seattle's biggest plays of the last two years have come on these exact types of throws.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Hawk4lyfe":1p311c5r said:
seahawk2k":1p311c5r said:

alright, I see your point. When its open, and the receiver has his guy beat, I get it. But when he just chucks it up (and the wr often has to come back, cuz its underthrown) and he expects the wr to win the jump ball, it just feels like a prayer play. I'm not questioning Wilson per say, just that play at times. 1 vs 1 id take all day too. Id rather just see the guys get in the open spot in the zone or Wilson run for 5 or 6. my 2 cents. wondering how others feel tho

The ball is supposed to be a little underthrown on those routes. The thinking is that the receiver has better ball skills than the defender and will make the better and quicker adjustment.

keasley45

Reaction score
seahawk2k":2mzusumu said:

when GB does it, its timed well and the ball is there when the wr turns around. When we do it, it hangs up and is often underthrown. Odds aren't nearly as good. GB's QB usually throws that ball on a flatter trajectory as well.

Will I

Reaction score
Hawk4lyfe":3euvg4ro said:
Russell Wilson just throws those balls up in the air "allowing the wr to make a play"? I feel like its a careless play, with no creativity, and its more or less relying on luck. I personally hate that play call, unless we are behind and need big plays. Seems like Wilsons throws are off target as much as on, and if our wr (tate) didn't make their plays, it would be picked off. when Tate is 1 on 1, I get the odds are in our favor. But what about when its 2 on 1, or 3 on 1?

what do you guys think?

Minus the throw into double coverage today, I think it's a GREAT play! I'm hoping RW just mis read the safety today. But our receivers are so good at those plays I wouldn't dare think of taking them away from him.

OP
OP
H

Hawk4lyfe

Reaction score
keasley45":dt5pqqua said:
Dont care for it either. Yeah, its worked a few times this year (hasnt hurt us a bunch) but i'd hate to see us have to rely on it for the big play. Yes, we're 12-2 and i'm as happy as anyone, but it seems like tossing up a ball up on what amounts to slightly better than 50-50 odds isnt them most reliable of strategies - particularly when the wr is a 2nd year player not known for making those type of plays. If we had megatron, sure, toss it up and let him go get it. But its iffy even with Tate 1 on 1. And... today's version was on 1st down.

Exactly. If he isn't open, find a diff wr (unless we are behind and need to take those types of chances) or let Wilson scramble.

Would anyone else like to see more screens (maybe with Michael back there)?? Especially when Lynch doesn't have much running room or they are stacking the box. seems like with his speed, he could do some damage

OP
OP
H

Hawk4lyfe

Reaction score
seahawk2k":2oxxpkdw said:
Hawk4lyfe":2oxxpkdw said:
seahawk2k":2oxxpkdw said:

The ball is supposed to be a little underthrown on those routes. The thinking is that the receiver has better ball skills than the defender and will make the better and quicker adjustment.

So that's intentional? Huh, ok. I didn't know that. Still not crazy about that play or strategy personally. Especially against playoff caliber teams. I just hope we aren't putting too much emphasis on those plays, and relying on them too much. Feels shaky to me is all.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
They're great throws and difficult to pull off. It's one of the reasons Russell is so good. It's all about positioning, letting the WR make a play and use his body, like Kearse's catch on the flea-flicker in Atlanta. It's all the more amazing considering we don't have a tall, physical receiver like Vincent Jackson or the WRs in Chicago.

A

Anonymous

I was thinking the deep throw in the fourth into double coverage was a head-scratcher.

Not sure, but I don't remember a single PI call today either. A 15-yard holding on them, but THAT was weird too.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Throwing the ball short of where the DB is going is the entire philosophy of the back shoulder throw. It is arguably the most un-defendable throw in football. Wilson was only burned today because the DB had safety help. In one-on-one situations, it's a far safer throw (unless your DB has Sherman's ball skills).

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Hawk4lyfe":2fi2knea said:
seahawk2k":2fi2knea said:
Hawk4lyfe":2fi2knea said:
seahawk2k":2fi2knea said:

So that's intentional? Huh, ok. I didn't know that. Still not crazy about that play or strategy personally. Especially against playoff caliber teams. I just hope we aren't putting too much emphasis on those plays, and relying on them too much. Feels shaky to me is all.

Thats fine, its not my favorite route in the tree either, but more often than not, it has worked. Rolle made a couple great plays today in coverage and Russell misread the coverage on a play. It is what it is.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
I don't mind if it's 1 on 1 coverage to Tate, Kearse, or Baldwin. Anyone else though, it's a no go.

pocketprotector

Reaction score
For a guy that some here claim throws so many 50-50 catch-interception jump balls, he sure doesn't have many interceptions.

Latest posts