How do you solve a problem like Tharold Simon

Vetamur

Reaction score
northseahawk":5rt234lr said:
To those of you who are defending this POS who lost us the Super Bowl almost single handedly, not everyone in our backfield is going to become an all-pro. All the other members in our secondary has a desire, a fire, and an attitude to get better and work hard. We saw and felt it in every single member. We saw that their hard work was showing on the field. But Simon has the mentality of a complete loser. He may have the physical abilities, but so did the 1000s of other players who couldn't make it in the NFL.

In this league you have limited chances and you need to push yourself hard and fast and show up on game day prepared. SImon has gotten worst IMO. His body language expresses excuses, blaming others, anger, while in reality, its just his unpreparedness and lack of concentration. This is strike 2, probably will get another chance, but I don't see a bright future in this shit heads future!

Blaming others? Nope. He took full blame for what he did and vowed it wouldnt happen again.

No one said he would become an all pro. They said he would get better. Stop pretending you have some special insight into him.

Does he look around? Yep. So does Revis, so does Hayden. In todays NFL so many flags get called on so many pass plays its a habit. and if youre talking about this Super Bowl in particular, he has good reason to. His PD in the end zone should have been a pick but the WR held his arm. The Pats constantly threw picks (I suppose you didnt see Sherman complaining about those to refs) and so on which never got held and the DBs were frustrated.

The mentality of a complete loser? 2nd year player whose first year was spent on IR, a handful of starts going against a guy who catches 100 passes a year .. maybe, just maybe the result was to be expected. Maybe , just maybe, it wasnt a great idea to keep him on the guys that he was over matched by.

He isnt great. But when you get to your #4WR, what is it exactly youre expecting?

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Anyone a little jealous that they put in rookie Butler and he makes plays that killed our game. We put in pretty much rookie Tharold Simon and he allows the plays that killed our game.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
ZagHawk":2775f46u said:
Anyone a little jealous that they put in rookie Butler and he makes plays that killed our game. We put in pretty much rookie Tharold Simon and he allows the plays that killed our game.

Ehh, I think Simon's chances of contributing over the course of his career are much higher than Butler's. Butler had a great game, Simon has promise as a player.

As far as rooks and contributing to the Super Bowl though, maybe comparing Butler to Mathews wouldn't sting as much. Without the amazing body control and soft hands of the Hawks' rookie Mathews the game might not even have been close to begin with. That kid had an amazing game.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I like Simon, but his game is far from complete. He plays well against bigger receivers, but speedy receivers are currently his nemesis. Browner used to get burned badly by speedsters or get a penalty consistently early on in his time here. He got coached out of that and is a pretty solid corner, although his biggest weakness is the fast receiver, it's not as bad as it once was. I can see Simon improving, and we have an entire off season to get his work in. Losing Maxwell, will cause us to lose some depth here though, but heck, we drafted Sherman in the 5th round and Maxwell was a 6th round pick, so they obviously know how to find guys with physical skills then coach them up. Keeping Richard is an important piece to this as well.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I just don't understand how you get beat by the same move so badly multiple times. One would think you'd be looking to jump that the next time you see it... Kind of like UDFA rookie Butler did at the end there

hawknation2015

Reaction score
On a positive note, Simon was playing a much higher level during the regular season before he badly separated his right shoulder. There is still hope here. With more work on his technique and perhaps more time to recover from his injuries, Simon has a chance to be a better player than he showed in these playoffs.

[youtube]Viez5uEPluU[/youtube]

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Seanhawk":s7y6gwfm said:
Brithawk":s7y6gwfm said:
Seanhawk":s7y6gwfm said:
I'm not confident in Simon improving much. Nearly every time he gets a pass completed on him, he immediately looks to the official asking for a PI. That tells me he thinks there always reason, other than himself, why a pass is completed. That does not seem like the type of person that is going to do whatever he can to improve himself and his play.
I noticed that on the Edelman TD, he was looking elsewhere for something to blame. Hopefully Kam, Earl & Sherm can knock some sense into the lad.

It wasn't just that play. He did it against Carolina quite a bit too, and I think a couple other times in the Super Bowl. I'm going to trust my memory on that though. I don't plan on re-watching that game anytime soon.

I rewatched the game last night. There are two plays against Simon that come to mind that he was putting the blame on the refs. And you know what? I think he was right to want an offensive pass interference called and might have gotten the call too if the refs called a tighter game.

1. The deep pass to the endzone that Simon was in a position to intercept it. The receiver grabbed his right arm to prevent Simon from making a play. Had it been the other way around and Simon grabbed the WR, it would have definitely been defensive interference.

2. The TD pass to Edelman he also wanted OPI. He wasn't wrong either. On Edelman's cut he gave a push with his left hand on Simon's right shoulder to gain seperation. It wasn't a big pushoff, but watch the replay. You'll see a full arm extension.

It sounds like I'm complaining over missed calls, but I actually didn't mind the no calls. Both teams were competing hard and the refs let them physical with missed penalties on both clubs. The only call I thought was horribly missed was the non-tripping call which was purely intentional.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Simon is just fine. I don't know if he'll ever be a Pro Bowler or not, but he was out-mismatched against that shifty-quick bearded-wanker. He needs to learn to do what Browner does, knock receivers off their routes, and he'll be a much better player. He was exploited and didn't get much help, but keep in mind he did enough so that we were still in a position to win the game at the end.

I'm all for adding quality competition and depth from any point in the draft, but Simon is not a lost cause. Not in the least.
[*]

cacksman

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1mb1sua1 said:
ZagHawk":1mb1sua1 said:

Ehh, I think Simon's chances of contributing over the course of his career are much higher than Butler's. Butler had a great game, Simon has promise as a player.

What on earth makes you think that? It wouldn't surprise me one single bit if he didn't make the 53 man next year.

cacksman

Reaction score
MysterMatt":1egmxs8j said:
Simon is just fine. I don't know if he'll ever be a Pro Bowler or not, but he was out-mismatched against that shifty-quick bearded-wanker. He needs to learn to do what Browner does, knock receivers off their routes, and he'll be a much better player. He was exploited and didn't get much help, but keep in mind he did enough so that we were still in a position to win the game at the end.

[*]

If by doing enough you mean not allowing a touchdown every single time he was targetted, then I agree. Aside from a couple plays, Simon played absolutely awful. Against Carolina he played absolutely awful. The guy also might be the most immature player on the team, judging from his later deleted tweets after the game, and the ridiculous penalties he's accrued.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
For all intents and purposes, this was Simon's rookie year. He was also a pretty raw prospect coming out of LSU. He has a ton of potential, I just hope XLIX isn't going to send his confidence into the toilet because if he loses that part of his game he will never recover.

When you look at the WR's that had their way with him in the playoffs.. one was Kelvin Benjamin, a guy that would be borderline unstoppable if he could catch the ball more consistently .. and the other was Julian Edelman, a terrific WR in his own right and the type of WR that gives every big corner pure hell.

If he can shake off XLIX .. he will be fine. What we really missed was having a nickel corner in there to matchup properly with NE's smaller WR's .. which is why I am floored Marcus Burley was inactive and we carried 3 TE's and 3 safeties. Though I guess you cant prepare to have Lane go down with a broken arm either.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Although he shows on the roster as a 2nd year player he still really is playing in his 1st season due to injuries. That said Simon is still very vulnerable to double moves and not yet really physically strong in press coverage. I agree with the comment above that he is more like Browner than Simon and still very very raw besides that he needs to grow and start accepting responsibility for his behaviour.

He has had some moments of excellent play and with patience will round into an acceptable 2nd or 3rd string CB if he wants it and is prepared to compete make the effort to be a starting quality CB.

timmat

Reaction score
What is disappointing for me on the TD Simon gave up was that earlier in the game, he got burned on the same route in the end zone, and Brady missed the throw. The sideline mic'd up footage that is now coming out shows our coach coming over to Simon and he tells him "if they get down there again, they're gonna do the same thing". He then gives him some instruction on what to do better next time. Sure enough, they get down there again, they run the same route, and he takes the bait the exact same way a second time. Not showing an ability to learn from a mistake - even after it is blatantly pointed out to you by your coach - is troubling.

Now he is young and fairly inexperienced, so maybe that ability to interpret and learn will come. But for now - and next season - if Maxi is gone, Simon is not yet prepared to be a reliable starter. If Sherman thought he had a low number of targets this year.......

Also keep in mind that in every season, we have injuries of some fashion in the secondary. My concern after the XLVIII season wasn't the strength of our starting unit for 2014, but rather the depletion of our depth. That concern deepens, even in the unit that has been our strength - the secondary.

seahawks187

Reaction score
Simon had some issues early on getting penalties.. One game I think he had 4 or 5 or something ridiculous.. What I think happened was he started playing without getting physical and started trying to be a cerebral player. I noticed in the panthers game he was looking at the refs numerous times every time Benjamin put his hands on him and he was getting frustrated.. Same against Edelman.. He needs to learn what he can and cannot get away with.. He needs to play physical and force refs to make calls.. It's unfortunate he hadn't been coached this but maybe an off season and training camp can rebuild his confidence ... Look at Sherman, dude is smart with what he can and cannot get away with with his contact etc

kjreid

Reaction score
Simon's weakness has always be pressing at the line of scrimmage, he has come along way in that but he is used primarliy in a nickel/dime where he is usually a backside zone player. his tackling, his moving (off the line) with a WR and his height/length is very good. once he learns how to press on the line he will be a #2. I think this super bowl exposed his pressing weakness and that is what he will need to work on. I for one think he is going to be real good.

hawk45

Reaction score
MysterMatt":2nolox8n said:

I'm all for adding quality competition and depth from any point in the draft, but Simon is not a lost cause. Not in the least.
[*]

I don't think Simon is a lost cause either but wasn't he beaten on a similar play vs Carolina by Benjamin? Benjamin isn't some tiny quick Wes Welker type.

To me it looks like he either sucks at recognition or he sucks at recovering after he bites on a fake, no matter what body-type of receiver is lined up out there.

But I expect he'll suck less at some point.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MysterMatt":3kwopoqp said:

[*]

Simon might someday BE fine, but as of now he's not fine...........and certainly not fine enough to be in the LOB as our starting CB next year.

He's got a lot of developing to do, and I'd be shocked if Pete and John don't do everything in their power to find another starting CB if we can't resign Maxwell.

mrinsatiable

Reaction score
Get rid of Simon..he's benefits don't outweigh the consequence of him being on the roster. Cut him and give Maxwell the $$..only after we take care of Wilson, Wagner, Irvin.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
To those who believe Simon will develop like Browner, my answer is this: If we planning to win it all next season, Simon better develop very very very fast.
Teams watch film. Film on Simon is out there. Carolina could use it. Pats could use it. I have no doubt every team we face will use it. Nobody will ever throw Sherman way anymore.
My point is, this team doesn't have 5 years to wait for Simon. We want to win next year. If he wants to be part of it, he needs to do what he needs to do, else he will most likely be gone.

netskier

Reaction score
Didn't I read here somewhere that Simon was playing with a shoulder injury? Shoulder passion may have prevented him from knocking receivers off of their routes.

Need depth, depth, and more depth. Health too.