How do you solve a problem like Tharold Simon

crosfam

Reaction score
I think we draft a corner in Rd 1, 2 or 3. Simon looks like a safety to me. Back-up safety and special teamer. Maybe Pinkins can play corner and add some depth.

raisethe3

Reaction score
crosfam":i5wwbrow said:
I think we draft a corner in Rd 1, 2 or 3. Simon looks like a safety to me. Back-up safety and special teamer. Maybe Pinkins can play corner and add some depth.

I heard they plan on converting him to corner. Speaking of Pinkins, where is he now?

Mick063

Reaction score
Simon has a lot to learn. That is precisely why I have not given up on him. He has the tools, just has to get better.

To understand Simon, the first thing one has to understand is that he isn't a nickel/slot corner. Burly is better in that regard. Simon is an outside guy.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
cacksman":1fvgn817 said:
MysterMatt":1fvgn817 said:
Simon is just fine. I don't know if he'll ever be a Pro Bowler or not, but he was out-mismatched against that shifty-quick bearded-wanker. He needs to learn to do what Browner does, knock receivers off their routes, and he'll be a much better player. He was exploited and didn't get much help, but keep in mind he did enough so that we were still in a position to win the game at the end.

[*]

If by doing enough you mean not allowing a touchdown every single time he was targetted, then I agree. Aside from a couple plays, Simon played absolutely awful. Against Carolina he played absolutely awful. The guy also might be the most immature player on the team, judging from his later deleted tweets after the game, and the ridiculous penalties he's accrued.
It's fortunate that more patient and knowledgeable people are making personnel decisions. He got torched by one of the best QBs ever and he happens to be in only his first season of play. You might think it's a good idea to toss players aside if they don't become Pro Bowlers by now, but others can see he was in the worst situation for his current abilities and was just trying to keep things in front of him. Nobody is claiming he had a great game, but the smart ones can see he has something.

svenge

Reaction score
MysterMatt":1ggq23gl said:
He got torched by one of the best QBs ever and he happens to be in only his first season of play.

I didn't know that Cam Newton was also one of the best QBs ever... :roll:

MysterMatt":1ggq23gl said:
[T]he smart ones can see he has something.

The only thing Simon has is the innate ability to get torched consistently, i.e. allowing a passer rating of 146.9 on targets against him this past postseason!

MysterMatt

Reaction score
svenge":3ct68bfc said:
MysterMatt":3ct68bfc said:
He got torched by one of the best QBs ever and he happens to be in only his first season of play.

Newton had his best game of the season and time to throw on a lot of snaps.

It's obvious that I'm not advocating for Simon as a starting CB, painfully so, and I've already said already that competition from any point in the draft (read: from the 1st round on down) is a good thing. The point is that he has some game and he also has some gaps in his game that he's going to have to overcome. He's actually pretty decent at covering the bigger, rangy WRs as far as I've seen. Anyone saying he has to be replaced, or better yet cut, forthwith are just displaying a mouth-breather's approach to player development and roster management.

Let me make it clear: Simon is a raw-but-talented CB with good measurables who was pressed into service and asked to do a little bit more than he's ready for. Whether or not he will ever become a solid starting CB is TBD, but IMO there's no need to get rid of him ASAP, given that the experience and another off-season of work and camp could improve his skills PDQ.

svenge

Reaction score
MysterMatt":390juzen said:
svenge":390juzen said:
MysterMatt":390juzen said:

Newton had his best game of the season...

Isn't it likely that that Newton having his "best game of the season" was highly correlated with Tharold Simon's consistent failure to play better than a D-II walk-on?

MysterMatt

Reaction score
svenge":1g9rbfmu said:
MysterMatt":1g9rbfmu said:
svenge":1g9rbfmu said:
MysterMatt":1g9rbfmu said:

Newton had his best game of the season...

Isn't it likely that that Newton having his "best game of the season" was highly correlated with Tharold Simon's consistent failure to play better than a D-II walk-on?
If you're into lazy analysis, sure. If you actually watched him play, Newton was "on" that game in a big way.

LTH

Reaction score
Brithawk":358bv6gk said:
I'm hoping he can make a major leap in the off season after Edelman made him his bitch.

Do we draft a CB high given we probably can't afford Maxi, switch Lane over to RCB?

You'd have to hope Simon can learn & prepare because his games against Carolina & NE were just awful

IMO, no matter what happens with Maxwell they should draft a corner... In my mind the only question is where do they draft a corner? With Pete, It's impossible to tell...

LTH

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
Bring in more competition and let the best man start. Simon was god awful against the Pats and Panthers and has a bit of an injury history, but he has played decent in some other games, so he should get a shot at starting. So with Maxwell probably gone the team will need to draft a guy or two and bring in 1-2 free agents to challenge for the opening. Pete and John have done well with bringing in DB's so I'm not so worried.

One thing about Maxwell, he is a very good player, but he is not a top 10 maybe even 15 CB in the league, so his loss might sting in the short term, but I think the team has some ideas of guys they would like to challenge for the open spot should Maxwell leave.

jblaze

Reaction score
I think he has the physical tools, the thing that scares me is his mental toughness. He seems to get rattled easily and recently went off on twitters cursing and yelling at the haters. It's just immature and unprofessional.

I hope he can grow up and get his mind right.

Hawks46

Reaction score
pehawk":2vew1ia3 said:
Maxwell wasn't even really playing at a similar point in Simon's career. He'll be fine...trust the staff that took a rag-tag draft class, and made them the LOB. Simon is more natural a DB, athletically, than Maxwell or Sherman.

Simon will be fine.

I agree with this. Maxwell didn't develop because of two reasons: he had tight hips, so he couldn't transition quickly enough, and he kept getting hurt, which kept him from developing.

Simon was hurt all last year, which will stunt his growth. Sherman came out and said that Simon is more talented and ahead of where he (sherm) was at the same point in their careers. The potential is there.

That said: the problem with Simon is that he's constantly looking mentally unprepared. This says something about his work ethic. The rest of the LOB needs to teach him how to watch film, and like doing it. The reason our guys are so damned good isn't that they're faster and bigger than everyone else, it's that they look at offensive formations and know what to expect. They KNOW where the WRs are going, and what tendencies to expect from each one. A guy like Edelman is too sudden out of his breaks to guess where he's going, and Simon found that out the hard way.

I don't blame people for being nervous. At the beginning of the year, it looked like we'd found Maxwell's successor. Now it looks like the right side is wide open and we're screwed.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
He still has room to grow, but honestly, some of his breakdowns and outbursts during and after games and his longterm durability are bigger concerns for me.

The solution? I think they need to sign (re-sign) a proven starter or draft high-round talent for competition. Either that or, for the first time, I really believe they might need to move Sherman (and Lane) around until another legitimate DB emerges.

jblaze

Reaction score
I'm hoping we go WR with our #1 pick, DL with our second round pick and CB with our third. We should be able to get a pretty good CB there with our physical characteristics that we can coach up.

I"m afraid we're probably looking at Simon starting next year though.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Simon is fine.

He was an average player with above average pite tial. Possibly the worst of a great defense. Remembry injuries dont go away: the dude was playing with a bum shoulder and a broken finger three weeks after he had minimal playing against possibly the best QB/Coach power duos in league history and one that was going on for 15 year.

Brady, Belicheck, McDaniels, and Edelman exploited the hell out of raw corner as they should.

Seahawks didnt adjust to it to Simons weaknesses... still think Seahawks should have stuck Earl Thomas on Edelman where he would have decimated the short passing game with his quickness closer to the line of scrimmage.

Tom Brady would have thought twice to throw it at Earl's area and if he waited to throw deep he would have been caught by the Seahawks pass-rush resulting in more QB hits and a shellshocked Brady.

Seahawks know what they have in Simon and they'll continue to develop him. We'll find out soon enough how Simon responds to the challenge and whether or not they'll address it by signing Maxwell or working him out in OTAs and drafting more competition. Either way we'll see.

Just a free agent note as Maxwell will probably follow the money as he should: Seahawks should make an offer to Tarrell Brown, if not Walter Thurmond. To get a guy who can play inside and out and have starting experience because Seahawks can definately use the depth and familarity.

firebee

Reaction score
I'm just trying to figure out where this Simon hasn't played well the last two weeks has come from. He's been atrocious all season long... Not just the last two weeks. Completely undisciplined, constantly trailing a WR, not playing the ball or getting physical when he shouldn't. This isn't a last two weeks thing... This has been all season long on almost every play he's been in on.