How many SB wins in 10 years w/ top 5 talent every year

How many Super Bowl wins in 10 years if you start with a top 5 roster talent wise?

• more than 5 SB wins

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 1.7%

Votes: 2 3.4%

Votes: 13 22.0%

Votes: 26 44.1%
  • Less than 2

Votes: 17 28.8%

• Total voters

RussB

Reaction score
Seahawks should have been a dynasty. They got 1 ring but they are the biggest underachievers in recent years.

sdog1981

Reaction score
In the current free agent system, only one the Patriots were able to win more than 2 in one decade and they won 3 out of 4 and missed the playoffs in the one year they did not win the Superbowl after that they did not win another one for 11 years. The other team that was loaded with talent and only won one time was the Manning Colts. The one thing both of these teams have in common was the ability to win 12 games every season and be the 1 or 2 seed in the conference. As much as I wanted the Seahawks to be on the Colts/Patriots level it looks like they are more like the Ravens. They won one Superbowl and hovered around 10-11 wins for a decade would win one playoff game about every year then won a second Superbowl as a last gasp for one of the founding members of the 2000 team 12 years later. I can see that happen with an Old man Sherman/Thomas safety combo and Bobby Wagner gutting another Superbowl out in the late 2020's

Popeyejones

Reaction score
adeltaY":3n1bkzqp said:
Every team has lucky plays that take them to the SB or win it for them. If James Harrison rushes the passer instead of dropping back, maybe the Steelers don't have six. If Edelman doesn't grab a ball that could easily have been picked off the ground, the Falcons have their first championship. If Kevin Dyson made it that extra yard, the Titans get theirs. If Kyle Williams doesn't keep putting the ball on the ground or Kaep completes either fade to Crabtree.... you get the point.

My guess is Ninestar would 100% agree with you on all of this.

I *think* his point is that we as fans always talk about insanely bad luck when we get really close, but all the times of insanely good luck that got us really close or got us wins go right down the memory hole.

For the Hawks, for every 100 times a Hawks fan talks about that goal line interception in the SB, how many times does a Hawks fan talk about the totally insane luck that even allowed the Hawks to make it out of Green Bay? Once? Less than that?

For every 100 time a 9ers fan talk about Kyle Williams costing them a SB appearance, how many times do they talk about the insanely good luck of the 9ers getting away with highway robbery on a horribly blown call earlier in that game that even allowed Kyle Williams to screw it up to begin with? Once? Less than that?

I think as fans, when our teams benefit from ridiculously good luck we either forget about it or explain it away as our team being awesome, whereas when our team has bad luck we obsess over it and think it's totally unfair and sad (mostly because we've already explained everything it took to get into that situation to begin with).

For me, as a 9ers fan, I come across this a lot with other 9ers fans and that last pass in the Super Bowl. 9ers fans obsess over how we were a few inches away from winning a Super Bowl, how if Harbaugh hadn't called a timeout a half second before the snap before that the 9ers had a scoring play and would have won. My take is that yeah, those thing are true, but it totally overlooks that the 9ers were down 28-6 in the 3rd quarter. That they even got close at all is INSANE. 9ers fans don't want to talk about that though.

original poster

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1js8xnlv said:
adeltaY":1js8xnlv said:
Every team has lucky plays that take them to the SB or win it for them. If James Harrison rushes the passer instead of dropping back, maybe the Steelers don't have six. If Edelman doesn't grab a ball that could easily have been picked off the ground, the Falcons have their first championship. If Kevin Dyson made it that extra yard, the Titans get theirs. If Kyle Williams doesn't keep putting the ball on the ground or Kaep completes either fade to Crabtree.... you get the point.

My guess is Ninestar would 100% agree with you on all of this.

I *think* his point is that we as fans always talk about insanely bad luck when we get really close, but all the times of insanely good luck that got us really close or got us wins go right down the memory hole.

For the Hawks, for every 100 times a Hawks fan talks about that goal line interception in the SB, how many times does a Hawks fan talk about the totally insane luck that even allowed the Hawks to make it out of Green Bay? Once? Less than that?

For every 100 time a 9ers fan talk about Kyle Williams costing them a SB appearance, how many times do they talk about the insanely good luck of the 9ers getting away with highway robbery on a horribly blown call earlier in that game that even allowed Kyle Williams to screw it up to begin with? Once? Less than that?

I think as fans, when our teams benefit from ridiculously good luck we either forget about it or explain it away as our team being awesome, whereas when our team has bad luck we obsess over it and think it's totally unfair and sad (mostly because we've already explained everything it took to get into that situation to begin with).

For me, as a 9ers fan, I come across this a lot with other 9ers fans and that last pass in the Super Bowl. 9ers fans obsess over how we were a few inches away from winning a Super Bowl, how if Harbaugh hadn't called a timeout a half second before the snap before that the 9ers had a scoring play and would have won. My take is that yeah, those thing are true, but it totally overlooks that the 9ers were down 28-6 in the 3rd quarter. That they even got close at all is INSANE. 9ers fans don't want to talk about that though.

Very valid points, thanks.

Certainly food for thought.

OP
OP
OrangeGravy

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
gowazzu02":3cm53dwf said:
This thread is such a thinly veiled way of whining and complaining. I love it!

Couple of questions, what does "top 5" talent mean? OF course your talking about Seattle, does the fact that they "had" such an above the mean defensive backfield cover up for the fact that they had an equally below the mean offensive line?

Also top 5 talent means theres literally 5 teams with that..... only 1 can actually win the SB each year...

Also as has been said, the one and done nature of the nfl playoffs added to the it's only a successful season if you win the superbowl doesnt' really mix.

The NFL unlike that broken MLB model has a hard salary cap making "dynasties" basically impossible, Also don't forget had we given Lynch the ball and won that super bowl, how many years would it have been between Patrios super bowl wins??????

Not whining at all. I wanted to see if looking at things from this angle changed anyone's outlook whether they were optimists or doomers. I thought if would be an interesting exercise. Of course you have to make a lot of assumptions to come up with an answer so it's not meant to be perfect. Just something to see where people's expectations might start from. I don't complain about any of this stuff. I'm ok with being in the playoff picture every year. I certainly get frustrated during games, but I can't control any of so it ends once the game is over. I also understand that much of how a season unfolds for any team is even out of their control.

My answer of 2 is highly hopeful. I was thinking of making the answers more like 0-2/2-4/4-6 or something like that would have been better.

OP
OP
OrangeGravy

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1u9pj4hr said:
I wonder if the mood arounfd here would be any different if the team had not blown that play in XLIX?

Ans: for me 2.

However the poll question as posed requires a lot of assumptions before answering. It's hard to get to the SB unless you are the Patriots where you play in a division that ensures you will win every season b/c the other 3 teams are perennially weak.

Is the team underperforming? Perhaps, depending upon your view. being an anual playoff participant though is a measure of a good team and the Hawks have done a good job in that regard since Pn'J have been in charge.

This is why I hate the Patriots more than anything. Yes they've been great for a long time, but they are in the playoffs before camp even starts. It rarely gets mentioned it seems and I do think it's a huge advantage that gets downplayed or mostly ignored. Drives me nuts

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
There is a weird conflation here.

I don't think the Seahawks have squandered talent because they aren't going to SBs anymore.

Instead because they are not even competitive in the playoffs after the wildcard game.

This team has the talent or resources to be a team that should be putting together great division or conference championship games, even when they lose.

Instead, they get boatraced in games after the wildcard. They are never even competitive since the SB loss.

I suspect the discontent is more about that failure.

SBs are hard to reach. We aren't the Patriots. But we are now barely a wildcard team for 3 years running.

There were certainly squandered opportunities that were less hindsight and more reasonable fixes that should have been made.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They made the Super Bowl 3 times in 10 seasons, and are going to the playoffs with regularity. One play from back to back titles. They've won the NFC West 3 of the last 4 years. They've won at least 1 Playoff game in their LAST 9 playoff appearances (between 2005 and 2016 they only missed the playoffs 3 times) That's pretty damn impressive. I'm sure plenty of fan bases would LOVE to have the problems the Hawks have.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
I think you're fortunate to win just one. Football is a game of inches and lucky bounces.

kobebryant

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":2q1mlgyz said:
I think you're fortunate to win just one. Football is a game of inches and lucky bounces.

Yep.

That 2013 Seahawks team was as excellent and as deep as a team can get in this era of football. Even then, they were potentially a better decision or throw by Kaepernick, an Aldon Smith offsides, or Navarro Bowman injury away from not winning a Super Bowl at all. Not to say that they were undeserving, just that the margin is so razor thin. If you take that 2013 49ers team and put them in 2017 they're steamrolling their way to a Super Bowl.

in 2014 the Hawks are a Lee Evans drop away from seeing the Ravens instead of Brady in the Super Bowl.

So much goes into it - luck with injuries and bounces, refs, schedule, quality of the rest of the league that year etc

Mad Dog

Reaction score
RCATES":2jhhfodd said:
Seymour":2jhhfodd said:
I cannot answer this poll without knowing the coaching staff that is involved. That makes a very big difference.

Exactly this. The difference for our team and our Achilles is coaching. Bill Belichick would have already put 3-4 Lombardi's in the case at Vmac.

And what is your reasoning behind that? Because he's done it with a GOAT QB, so he should be able to do it with Wilson and our band of miscreants.

Looking at Belichek's coaching style, it's quite likely he would have dumped half our "top 5" talent in favor of less athletic but smarter players. His schemes change from week to week so he needs fairly bright players to learn and execute them.
Pete keeps things simple and allows athleticism and competitiveness to carry the day. It's a markedly different style that works with our guys. Not sure our guys fit a Belichek team.

I think your can't separate talent from coaching as easily as you are doing. Are our players talented because of their skills alone or are they talented because they've been coached up and fit a particular system? Until they go somewhere else and succeed, there is no clear answer to that conundrum.

So your assertion that our Achilles heel is coaching is flawed based on assumption that have no clear provable answer. For all we know, coaching is what is keeping us competitive each year. People tend to assume that all bad outcomes are coaching mistakes. Sometimes they are and sometimes they are players mistakes or opponents good play.

There are lots of reasons why we are not going to the SB this year. Key injuries to star players. an early incompetent OL. A failure of certain players to develop further. Draft failures. Coaching decisions. Bad kicking.
You can't point to one area, coaching, and ignore everything else.

We won a SB because we were healthy, deep and athletic. That is hard to sustain every year and few teams do it.

irfuben32

Reaction score
This should have been one of the great sports dynasties.

One and done instead

jeremiah

Reaction score
This should have been one of the great sports dynasties.

One and done instead

Without a doubt. Pete maximized his potential 3 years ago, since he has been below average as a talent evaluator and coach. I found it ironic that as the Packers tried to get by for years with a subpar O line through choices made and Seattle has done the same. People will disagree, but the Hawks should have went one more year paying RW as low as possible, kept Golden Tate and the O line together and they would have won maybe two more Super Bowls in this run. The ideal is to dump players who are proven and aging for draft choices. Kam, and Bennett should have been let go in 2014, and deal with the holes left with solid role players that have hungry hearts. The real problem with the Seahawks lies in the fact that they are satisfied financially, and believe they are great, when they are just great players who together are disfunctional.