What has been our most disappointing season ever? Is it 2016

What has been our most disappointing season in history?

Votes: 20 20.4%

Votes: 28 28.6%

Votes: 8 8.2%

Votes: 11 11.2%

Votes: 6 6.1%

Votes: 8 8.2%

Votes: 2 2.0%

Votes: 11 11.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.1%

• Total voters

schkoot

Reaction score
1988 was the first year that I really understood what was going on, so losing to the bungles really hurt. I guess that makes the 88 season the worst to me personally. Not sure if anyone here remembers seeing Largent sitting on the sidelines, injured and looking crushed at the end of the game. The game prior against the Raiders was my high water mark for a long time though.

MeanBlueGreen

Reaction score
1984. And every other year that goddamn horse toothed jackass dashed our playoff hopes. Precisely why I have and always will hate Denver. Whipping their asses in the Super Bowl was, by far, the greatest sporting event I have ever seen. Full disclosure, I now live in Denver, so it has given me great satisfaction to watch them plummet and finally miss the playoffs.

rjdriver":1798rp3m said:
Please discuss, but read my preface.

PREFACE
I thought this might be interesting to discuss, plus I like threads that take me down memory lane. To preface, I know we made the playoffs and won our division. I know we won 10 games. This is NOT a thread about the worst Seahawk teams ever. This is a thread and poll about what team(s) in our history most disappointed you compared to preseason expectations. In other words, the season that just didn't pan out like you had hoped and bummed you out. Obviously we have emotional connections to certain teams for a myriad of reasons, so there is no right or wrong answer.

I obviously couldn't include every potential season in the poll, so please elaborate if you select other. I also understand that younger fans have less of a pool to draw from, but just put what you feel in your gut.

Once again to clarify, this is not about stats or records or division titles. It's about your emotional response to a team. I know someone will eventually flame me for placing some of our "good" teams on this poll, but my point is that the god teams are the ones that have the potential to disappoint.

LIKELY CANDIDATES
I personally selected 2016 with 1984 and 1986 being close seconds. I'll provide some brief history of some of the potential candidates.

2016- (10-5-1) Lost in Divisional Playoffs to Atlanta.
This is my most disappointing season. I was very exited about talk from Pete proclaiming that this was our most talented team ever. Wilson was a preseason favorite to win the MVP. We were a year removed from "the play" and were poised to have Jimmy Graham back and healthy as well as getting Rawls early in the season. No holdouts in camp and what seemed to be a favorable schedule. I honestly expected us to be in the Super Bowl. This team was frustratingly inconsistent and floundered offensively. Although they won a weak division, they top my list (which admittedly could be due to the heightened emotions of recency).

2014- (12-4) Lost Super Bowl to New England
Can one play make this your most disappointing season? What if this play effected the entire course of the franchise? We had some crazy highs (NFCCG) that make this season immune for me, but I get it if you feel otherwise.

2008- (4-12) No Playoffs
After four straight division championships and going 10-6 the previous year, we fell hard in Coach Holmgren's final year. I was looking forward to this year actually but it fell apart week one when we get eviscerated at Buffalo and Nate Burleson tore his knee up. We actually lost six in a row, including 4 at (née) Qwest. It was hard to see the Holmgren era end this way, and I consider it a very disappointing season.

2006- (9-7) Lost Divisional Playoffs to Chicago
Coming off a Super Bowl appearance, I was convinced we would be back. Then Hutch happened. That fiasco is enough to include this year on the list by itself. We lost to Rex Grossman (ugh) in the playoffs because we couldn't get one yard in Chicago. Thanks Timmy. I'm not saying we beat New Orleans the next week, but I liked our chances. This is the Romo botched snap year which was so awesome it may preclude it from contention, but it's up there for me.

2004- (9-7)
After coming off the infamous GB playoff game the year before (We want the ball and were going to score), I really thought this was the year we win a playoff game for the first time in a billion years. We finally exorcise our demons and pass the Rams for the division title only to lose at home to them in the playoffs on a dropped ball in the end zone. Man, I was deflated after that one.

1992- (2-14) No Playoffs
Does being the worst team in Seahawks history automatically qualify them for being the most disappointing? Not for me, but I understand if you do considering it was probably the most inept offense in NFL history.

1986- (10-6) No Playoffs.
This is the year that we caught absolute fire and won our last five games blowing the crap out of everyone that stood in our way including the Raiders and Broncos. We missed the playoffs by one game as the hottest team in the NFL. The homer in me knows we would have won it all had we qualified. It was very disappointing to say the least. This year is probably second on my list.

1984- (12-4) Lost Divisional Playoffs to Miami
This is a purely emotional inclusion for me. I was 12 and we had been listed as a favorite to win the Super Bowl by many (including Playboy). We were coming off playing in the AFCCG and had one of the leagues best young runners in Curt Warner. This was an awesome team I thought would win it all. Well, we lost Curt in the home opener (thanks turf) and ended up playing in one of the toughest divisions ever. We were 12-4 and didn't win the division. Digest this for a second:
DEN 13-3
SEA 12-4
OAK 11-5 (maybe it was LA, I forget)
KC 8-8
SD 7-9
How is that even possible? Every team in the division was either elite or pretty darn good. This was the first time of my life I really remember being disappointed with a season compared to my expectations going in.

OTHERS?
Please discuss

Josea16

Reaction score
1984- The first year I really got into the Seahawks. Our best record to date and they still couldn't win the division. Then the disappointing playoff loss much like the Raiders this year..... pretty weird.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":1bhm551j said:
I answered 1992, as that was THE WORST season in the history of Seahawks football -- HANDS DOWN -- no debate. I mean, the Hawks offense that year STILL holds the NFL record to this day for offensive futility (fewest points scored). I suffered through every second of that miserable season. It's hard to get much lower than that.

OTOH, if we're talking "disappointing" ... then a strong case can be made for 2014. I mean, to have defeat snatched from the jaws of victory ... to be merely 1 yard and 1 Marshawn Lynch rumble up the gut short from a 2nd straight Lombardi Trophy -- that's hard to top. That's like being 50 ft. from the summit of Mt. Everest and all of a sudden have the ice give way and fall in a crevice to your demise. That's the very definition of disappointing.

Hard to argue with either 1992 or 2014 in all honesty.

1992 is a good answer. That team was so bad, I quit following very closely for 3-5 years. I remember more about the mid 80's teams when I was in Jr. High and High School than I do about the mid 90's teams.

1992 was so bad it literally numbed my football mind for a few years.