What has been our most disappointing season ever? Is it 2016

What has been our most disappointing season in history?

Votes: 20 20.4%

Votes: 28 28.6%

Votes: 8 8.2%

Votes: 11 11.2%

Votes: 6 6.1%

Votes: 8 8.2%

Votes: 2 2.0%

Votes: 11 11.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.1%

• Total voters

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
2014 is a great candidate because I believe this team hasn't been the same (and may never be) since that final play in XLIX. To make the playoffs the next two seasons is a testiment to how talented we are and good coaching, but that final play could very well prove to be a slow, fatal blow to this era's chances of winning another one. I sure hope I am wrong but I can't shake the feeling.

Seymour

Reaction score
scutterhawk":14sngrah said:
Oh my God!!!, some of y'all are actually believe that it was the 2014 season as the "Most Disappointing Season EVER" ?!?!?!?!.......REALLY??!!
2014?!?!?! An ALL BEAT TO HELL Secondary, & a concussed Cliff Avril who nearly pulled off a win against a EGOTISTICAL BB & Brady as our most disappointing?????? season??????? GET REAL!!
Bettis Bowl tops my list, nothing else even comes close.

A) 2005 is not even on that list (although I'd put that at 2 myself).
B) Not just some of us, #1 in votes by a fair amount.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think there is a difference between disappointing seasons and disappointed at how a season ended.

The two Super Bowl losses, the Vinny Helmet year were three that ended in disappointment. for sure.

evergreen

Reaction score
I put 1986. We could've won one in the Knox age. We were close in '83 and out matched in '84, but '86 was the time. So hot from 5-6 to 10-6. Curt Warner and John L. Williams running wild...

2004 was hugely disappointing. We were so up and coming in 2003 and 2004 was the worst of all Sea Hawk seasons since we were so freaking soft! And lose at home to the Rams 2X! Ugh!!! I was at the Rams comeback game when SA couldn't get 1 freaking yard to ice the game and we punt instead of run out the clock. I also saw the crappy 38-9 Buffalo game...

Optimus25

Reaction score
I don't allow myself any preseason expectations when one of the first two games is against L.A (like the last 2 seasons) When one of the first 2 games is against the Rams, I use that for my barometer of the true nature of this team. And I haven't been let down for 2 years running.

Seahawk772002

Reaction score
Going down memory lane
Coming off back to back playoff appearances with two playoff wins in 1983 and one in 1984
Season record 8 and 8
Start out win two on the road
Then lose next two
Pattern repeated all season long
The proverbial window was open
That season defined disappointment and what being a Seahawk fan was for the first 38 years
It was the year after 12 was retired and had not become part of our culture
It also helps me appreciate this wonderful ride we are on and to treasure it as long as it lasts

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
sdog1981":317b77yn said:
The 2004 team opened the season with back to back cross country road trip wins. A 21-7 win in New Orleans then the next week they fly back across the country and gut out a 10-6 win against a SuperBowl contending Tampa Bay team (held them to 271 yards). Then the home opener aginst the 49ers a 34-0 blowout and the first shutout of the 49ers since 1977. The next week was a bye week and the whole NFL world was talking about the new kings, the young and brash Seattle Seahawks. This was the first time since 1984 that people had taken this team seriously. The next game was against the Rams, you see back in those days the Rams would always beat the Seahawks. But unlike nowadays those Rams teams did have more talent and did go to playoffs every season. So when this Rams team came up to Qwest to play the 3-0 NFC West-leading Seahawks it was going to be time to show them who the new boss was. The game started like it was supposed to the Hawks built a 24-7 half-time lead. Then in the second half the real Rams showed up and outscored the Hawks 20-3 in the second half. Finally beating our hometown boys with a 52 bomb from Marc Bulger to Shaun McDonald. The once mighty Seahawks never recovered they lost the next two games and limped into the playoffs at 9-7. They hosted the Rams at home in the wildcard round and lost that game too. Back then we used to say "Same ol Seahawks" when they would lose in that fashion. But that team was supposed to be different, that is why 2004 was tremulously more disappointing than 2016 could ever be.

Wow, old memories. I remember that year very fondly as well. I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I was listening to the week 4 gave vs the Rams. Crazy how that happens.

Side note: Anyone remember who dropped that potential game tying TD in the endzone of the 2004 wild card game
vs the Rams? That was a heartbreaker to watch.

Seahawk772002

Reaction score
Good to recognize difference between disappointing season and disappointing playoff loss

When fans of non winning super bowl teams bring up XLIX.

Just remind them that feeling is a lot different when XXXVIII score was 43 to 8 good guys not 43 to 8 the other guys.

I do not not if the "media narrative" XLIX ruining the Seahawks has merit.

Do know there are 13 franchises who would love to have the trophy Seahawks earned Groundhogs Day 2014

Most disappointing playoff loss was 1988 at Houston(Warren Moon QB) when Fredd Young intercepted a pass in OT and there was no replay to reverse it

2nd most disappointing playoff loss was Matt Hassebeck - "we want the ball and we are going to score". Loss was so sudden I sat in shock and did not turn off VHS recording for almost 4 minutes

XL playoff loss is summed up in one word "hurt". The screw job in Detroit where even the "media narrative" and with few exceptions fans of other teams would see me and one common phrase "You guys got screwed" was the common theme.

I had visions of us being the San Diego Chargers to never get back XLVIII relieved some of the pain did not erase the memory of the screw job in Detroit.

It is all about enjoying this incredible ride as long as it lasts.

OP
OP
rjdriver

rjdriver

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":3k2nirtj said:
sdog1981":3k2nirtj said:
The 2004 team opened the season with back to back cross country road trip wins. A 21-7 win in New Orleans then the next week they fly back across the country and gut out a 10-6 win against a SuperBowl contending Tampa Bay team (held them to 271 yards). Then the home opener aginst the 49ers a 34-0 blowout and the first shutout of the 49ers since 1977. The next week was a bye week and the whole NFL world was talking about the new kings, the young and brash Seattle Seahawks. This was the first time since 1984 that people had taken this team seriously. The next game was against the Rams, you see back in those days the Rams would always beat the Seahawks. But unlike nowadays those Rams teams did have more talent and did go to playoffs every season. So when this Rams team came up to Qwest to play the 3-0 NFC West-leading Seahawks it was going to be time to show them who the new boss was. The game started like it was supposed to the Hawks built a 24-7 half-time lead. Then in the second half the real Rams showed up and outscored the Hawks 20-3 in the second half. Finally beating our hometown boys with a 52 bomb from Marc Bulger to Shaun McDonald. The once mighty Seahawks never recovered they lost the next two games and limped into the playoffs at 9-7. They hosted the Rams at home in the wildcard round and lost that game too. Back then we used to say "Same ol Seahawks" when they would lose in that fashion. But that team was supposed to be different, that is why 2004 was tremulously more disappointing than 2016 could ever be.

Wow, old memories. I remember that year very fondly as well. I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I was listening to the week 4 gave vs the Rams. Crazy how that happens.

Side note: Anyone remember who dropped that potential game tying TD in the endzone of the 2004 wild card game

It was Bobby Engram. To be fair, not a great pass from Matt, but darn I wish he would have caught it.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
rjdriver":1dwza5bk said:
Thepeelsessions":1dwza5bk said:
sdog1981":1dwza5bk said:

It was Bobby Engram. To be fair, not a great pass from Matt, but darn I wish he would have caught it.
Yep, I still have that vivid picture in my mind of Bobby sliding on his knees to get that pass. It really wasn't a great throw by Hass, but it did hit Bobby right in his hands

Hawks46

Reaction score
I went 2006.

We just went to the SB, got robbed, then come back and the wheels just fall off. We'd just paid Alexander and Hass was in his prime.

At the end of that season, you started to see the downward trend. Holmgren didn't have answers, our roster was not improving due to a now obviously poor GM, and we were left wondering where exactly the bottom was, how long would it take us to get there, and how long would we stay there.

2014 is a close second due to the nature of the circumstance, but we still knew we had a solid roster and a young team. Plus there wasn't any questions about the HC and the GM.

enamel

Reaction score
For me, it was 2009. I thought we had done the coaching transition right, and brought in top tier talent. I thought of 2008 as an anomaly, and that we'd be back into playoff contention. Instead, we were garbage. To add insult to injury, we completely blew a #4 overall pick.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
kf3339":3r4y5hko said:
A 2014 Superbowl win makes this team a legacy franchise with back to back wins. Right now we are just another team that won one Superbowl. Not really that special.
Off topic, but this just isn't true. The Seahawks will never be a "legacy franchise", ever. It just doesn't work that way. The only team that has been promoted to that status recently is the cheatin' Patriots, and if they return to AFC East status once B&B retire, I could see them slipping out of the "club". Seattle will never be in the club.

Most disappointing season for me was '84, for sure. Win 2. Yay! Lose 2. Boo! Repeat all tne way to 8-8 when you were expecting to contend for the Super Bowl? Yeah, that sucked.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Seahawk name drop to follow......

Back in September I was working with Dave Krieg and asked him about the 1986 season. He felt like that was the one time during his Seahawk years they could have won the SuperBowl. He felt the 84 team had no shot aginst the buzz saw that was that 84 Dan Marino Dolphins team.

Side note. Dave Krieg was super funny and willing to talk with everyone that was around him. I wondered if he had played during the 2000's when the NFL became 1000 times more popular if he would be as willing to talk with people.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I answered 1992, as that was THE WORST season in the history of Seahawks football -- HANDS DOWN -- no debate. I mean, the Hawks offense that year STILL holds the NFL record to this day for offensive futility (fewest points scored). I suffered through every second of that miserable season. It's hard to get much lower than that.

OTOH, if we're talking "disappointing" ... then a strong case can be made for 2014. I mean, to have defeat snatched from the jaws of victory ... to be merely 1 yard and 1 Marshawn Lynch rumble up the gut short from a 2nd straight Lombardi Trophy -- that's hard to top. That's like being 50 ft. from the summit of Mt. Everest and all of a sudden have the ice give way and fall in a crevice to your demise. That's the very definition of disappointing.

Hard to argue with either 1992 or 2014 in all honesty.

BASF

Reaction score
I voted 2004 as well. I want to put another take out there than the ones mentioned so far and I know that long time members have read this from me several times. A lot of people called us soft that season and to this day that is the way some of the members here remember. Why did we appear soft? Blown leads were the culprit for the soft talk. Our blown calls can be laid at the feet of our inept safety named Terreal Bierria. He was directly responsible for four game winning scores given up, and it was Hamlin cheating to Bierria's side that resulted in the Rams game winning TD in the playoff game. So, we even out those four games with NFL decent safety play, we get to eleven wins. You give us a good safety who doesn't blow coverage horribly a quarter of the time and we have thirteen wins. We would have home field advantage and a completely different attitude instead of the low faith in the defense thanks to Bierria's ineptness.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
This is hard so say. There are so many unique flavors of disappointing in just the last 15 years.

-2016 sucked because our hopes for a SB seemed to die with the injury to Earl Thomas.
-2008 sucked not just because we were bad but because of the multitude of FA signings and "win now" type decisions Ruskell had made that year - we seemed doomed not just for that season but for several to come.
-As an optimist, 2006 was more exciting than disappointing. In hindsight, there was much less to be optimistic about. However, at the time, we were still surviving the season and it seemed possible many of our deficiencies, like the struggles of Hass and SA, could possibly subside as the season went on. As bad as things really were, we were catching enough breaks to keep going.
-2004 sucked because of the greater expectations established in 2003 and how those expectations were undone by maddening blown leads.
-I don't care how it felt in the end. 2014 was awesome. If you're going to make a SB and lose, the kind of incredible game we had was the way to do it.

Ultimately, I'm going 2008. It's kind of a miracle they didn't doom us to more than two losing seasons with how 2008 went down.

rigelian

Reaction score
seahawksny":ol8hsafb said:
ZagHawk":ol8hsafb said:
100% without a shadow of a doubt, 2014. Miracles had to happen to get the Seahawks all the way back to the SB.

1) Arizona collapsing the second half of the season ensuring NFCW HFA
2) Packers collapsing in the NFCCG and on-side kick recovery
3) Kearse catch to bring Hawks back to the red zone prior to Marshawn run up to the 1.

Then ALL OF THAT negated 100% by that play.

We will never know what the Hawks to preseason expectations, but as the writing was on the wall for how the end played out. Someone show that clip of Pete nodding his head after the reversed call from the challenge. That's pretty much how I felt watching the game seeing our Hawks get their butts handed to them. Not the Hawks year.

Brady threw for what? over 350 that game? Thats why they lost. Not because of one play. I know its hard to see it that way.
Being up 10 points at start of 4th and losing it was just as if not more fatal.

We lost that game when Avril went down. Bennett couldn't terrorize the New England pass game by himself. Before them Bennett and Avril kept Brady under constant pressure. We were resilient enough to will our way back into the game. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough. 2014 was disappointing, but I still feel that 2006 was far more disappointing. We had just lost to the Steelers in a poorly called game and I wanted to get back.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
seahawksny":2xivarhf said:
scutterhawk":2xivarhf said:
Oh my God!!!, some of y'all are actually believe that it was the 2014 season as the "Most Disappointing Season EVER" ?!?!?!?!.......REALLY??!!
2014?!?!?! An ALL BEAT TO HELL Secondary, & a concussed Cliff Avril who nearly pulled off a win against a EGOTISTICAL BB & Brady as our most disappointing?????? season??????? GET REAL!!
Bettis Bowl tops my list, nothing else even comes close.

Agreed
I think that most of the folks in here are missing the main point of this POLL, the question was " What Has Been Our Most Disappointing SEASON", NOT what has been our most disappointing ->>GAME<<-.
The whole 2012 & 2013 SEASONS were complete successes, in fact, the Seahawks had played good enough overall in back to back SEASONS to have a repeat.
If it hadn't been for the injuries to the Seahawks vaunted LOB in that game, they'd have had Back to Back victories.

Given all the injuries to KEY players throughout THIS SEASON, I'm impressed & heartened that they were able to beat out their NFC WEST rivals, and still be in the playoffs.
Given the circumstances, I think Pete deserves some praise by us fans for getting THEIR injury ridden Seahawks team back into the playoffs AGAIN, but instead, all we seem to be hearing is ridicule being thrown his way...Go figure, eh?

sdog1981

Reaction score
BASF":3mg16ilp said:
I voted 2004 as well. I want to put another take out there than the ones mentioned so far and I know that long time members have read this from me several times. A lot of people called us soft that season and to this day that is the way some of the members here remember. Why did we appear soft? Blown leads were the culprit for the soft talk. Our blown calls can be laid at the feet of our inept safety named Terreal Bierria.

Oh god, there is a name I thought would never be mentioned on this site ever again.