What has been our most disappointing season ever? Is it 2016

What has been our most disappointing season in history?

Votes: 20 20.4%

Votes: 28 28.6%

Votes: 8 8.2%

Votes: 11 11.2%

Votes: 6 6.1%

Votes: 8 8.2%

Votes: 2 2.0%

Votes: 11 11.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.1%

• Total voters

kf3339

Reaction score
A 2014 Superbowl win makes this team a legacy franchise with back to back wins. Right now we are just another team that won one Superbowl. Not really that special.

sdog1981

Reaction score
To have a disappointing season you need to have some preseason hype. That is why 2013 was so awesome, everyone knew the Seahawks were the top team from April onward. Then the season started they go 13-3 and blow away the SuperBowl.

For me, that is why 2004 was so damn disappointing. The team was rolling in after the 2003 season that ended with "we want the ball and we are going to score". From April onward the whole NFL world told us how good these Seahawks were and that they were going to play the Patriots in the Superbowl.

The 2004 team opened the season with back to back cross country road trip wins. A 21-7 win in New Orleans then the next week they fly back across the country and gut out a 10-6 win against a SuperBowl contending Tampa Bay team (held them to 271 yards). Then the home opener aginst the 49ers a 34-0 blowout and the first shutout of the 49ers since 1977. The next week was a bye week and the whole NFL world was talking about the new kings, the young and brash Seattle Seahawks. This was the first time since 1984 that people had taken this team seriously. The next game was against the Rams, you see back in those days the Rams would always beat the Seahawks. But unlike nowadays those Rams teams did have more talent and did go to playoffs every season. So when this Rams team came up to Qwest to play the 3-0 NFC West-leading Seahawks it was going to be time to show them who the new boss was. The game started like it was supposed to the Hawks built a 24-7 half-time lead. Then in the second half the real Rams showed up and outscored the Hawks 20-3 in the second half. Finally beating our hometown boys with a 52 bomb from Marc Bulger to Shaun McDonald. The once mighty Seahawks never recovered they lost the next two games and limped into the playoffs at 9-7. They hosted the Rams at home in the wildcard round and lost that game too. Back then we used to say "Same ol Seahawks" when they would lose in that fashion. But that team was supposed to be different, that is why 2004 was tremulously more disappointing than 2016 could ever be.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
The 2004 season was such a bummer, from start to finish.

Alexander had a great year, but the offense just couldn't really get it together after they had such a remarkable breakout offensive season in 2003. That team had no heart, no courage and no mental toughness. A purely finesse team that got pushed around, but had the talent to be an elite team.

Losing 3 games to the Rams were all equally terrible. The first loss allowing a huge fourth quarter comeback by Bulger, then the second loss on the road after Engram ran into the ref for the go ahead touchdown, and the final one in the wild card round that we were hosting. The refs were so tight that game, Ken Lucas was getting called for everything. Engram dropping the winning touchdown at the end was the nail in the coffin for a team filled with talent and a season filled with what could've been. Thankfully they made up for it the following season by finally getting the Superbowl, only to the robbed.

Man, this thread is a great idea but is also kind of depressing lol

Terpdragon

Reaction score
I still get pissed off more than anything by Superbowl 40 more than even the other Superbowl loss. Also more than the quarterback issues prior to Hasselbeck. Have never been able to watch any recording of it. :twisted: :229031_banghead: :beating: :pukeface:

sdog1981

Reaction score
Jerhawk":pnj421lf said:
The 2004 season was such a bummer, from start to finish.

Alexander had a great year, but the offense just couldn't really get it together after they had such a remarkable breakout offensive season in 2003. That team had no heart, no courage and no mental toughness. A purely finesse team that got pushed around, but had the talent to be an elite team.

Losing 3 games to the Rams were all equally terrible. The first loss allowing a huge fourth quarter comeback by Bulger, then the second loss on the road after Engram ran into the ref for the go ahead touchdown, and the final one in the wild card round that we were hosting. The refs were so tight that game, Ken Lucas was getting called for everything. Engram dropping the winning touchdown at the end was the nail in the coffin for a team filled with talent and a season filled with what could've been. Thankfully they made up for it the following season by finally getting the Superbowl, only to the robbed.

Man, this thread is a great idea but is also kind of depressing lol

Then remember 2005 season started with a 5 turnover meltdown in Jacksonville. The whole 2005 season I was waiting for the "Real Seahawks" to show up ala 2004.

Foghawk

Reaction score
Terpdragon":3tymm6zx said:
I still get pissed off more than anything by Superbowl 40 more than even the other Superbowl loss. Also more than the quarterback issues prior to Hasselbeck. Have never been able to watch any recording of it. :twisted: :229031_banghead: :beating: :pukeface:

Lot of good choices and memories on the list, but I'm surprised 2005 isn't up there. Even though I've been over SB XL since even before 2013, the way the Hawks lost was quite the sour ending.

I probably would have had a choice tagged "The 90's". One disappointing season after another, beating the Raiders or the Broncos during the regular season was our SB. :lol:

2014 doesn't bother me as much as it does some. Probably because we won it all in 2013 and I expect PC to get us back for another shot soon.

:2thumbs:

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
I have to say 1992.... Then a wasted #2 Draft pick on Mirer....... Yeah... that was painful. I'm pretty sure he still holds the Seahawks single season Fumble record. It seems like he fumbled every minute of 1993.

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
SB 49 broke this franchise. In about 15 years, that statement will be solidified....unless they win another SB.

That last play has become the defining moment of the franchise to the rest of the world.

The Seahawks officially own the NFL version of the Bill Buckner ground ball.

Seymour

Reaction score
SixSeahawk":2ag009c4 said:
SB 49 broke this franchise. In about 15 years, that statement will be solidified....unless they win another SB.

That last play has become the defining moment of the franchise to the rest of the world.

LMAO. A bit extreme, but tough to argue. Hope you end up being wrong.

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
Seymour":1y9zd7bs said:
SixSeahawk":1y9zd7bs said:

It's true though. I have visions of seeing NFL documentaries about that play many years from now, the way we saw Buckner or Bartman time and time again for years.....until they won.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
SixSeahawk":2d2slq8u said:
Seymour":2d2slq8u said:
SixSeahawk":2d2slq8u said:

It's true though. I have visions of seeing NFL documentaries about that play many years from now, the way we saw Buckner or Bartman time and time again for years.....until they won.
It's not a truth; it's your assumption. And I don't buy it. If we have players that have such weak minds that they are "broken" by that outcome, they don't deserve to be on our roster.

Megatron

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":m5f5cf2e said:
I have to say 1992.... Then a wasted #2 Draft pick on Mirer....... Yeah... that was painful. I'm pretty sure he still holds the Seahawks single season Fumble record. It seems like he fumbled every minute of 1993.

Nope, Dave Krieg holds the Seahawks single season fumble record with 18. Mirer only holds the single season fumble record for a rookie with 13. Krieg also had 7 seasons with ten or more fumbles with the Seahawks. Mirer's rookie year was the only one where he had 10 or more fumbles, after that his most fumbles in a season was 5. Krieg was well known a chronic fumbler, mostly because of his small hands, he is third for career fumbles. I'll let you guess who hold first and second place for career fumbles. Here are some hints, first place was drafted by the Atlanta Falcons and traded to Green Bay, second place played college football at UW and had a long career in the CFL before coming to the NFL. I still find it amazing that they got a first round pick from Chicago for Mirer that they traded to get up to the third pick and draft Shawn Springs.

seahawksny

Reaction score
SixSeahawk":2e25v0e6 said:

Not the same.
We won the year prior.
Had manning beaten us the year before, then the proportions of that play would have been as epic of Buckner

Jerhawk

Reaction score
seahawksny":2rpqv86e said:
SixSeahawk":2rpqv86e said:

Not the same.
We won the year prior.
Had manning beaten us the year before, then the proportions of that play would have been as epic of Buckner

:ditto: Winning the superbowl the year prior definitely help soften the kick to the groin superbowl 49 left for me personally.

Had we lost superbowl 48 in that fashion, it would've been much tougher to swallow that humiliating defeat. Yes, it still stings every time it's shown on TV, and could lead to the defining moment for the Pete Carroll administration for the national media, but at least they had a Lombardi from the year before

Hawker8989

Reaction score
ZagHawk":2u561mzm said:
100% without a shadow of a doubt, 2014. Miracles had to happen to get the Seahawks all the way back to the SB.

1) Arizona collapsing the second half of the season ensuring NFCW HFA
2) Packers collapsing in the NFCCG and on-side kick recovery
3) Kearse catch to bring Hawks back to the red zone prior to Marshawn run up to the 1.

Then ALL OF THAT negated 100% by that play.

We will never know what the Hawks could have become after two back to back SB wins. Maybe they become the first team in history to win three in a row? Maybe they come back this year and win still cementing dynasty.

Regardless 2014 destroyed the aura around our beloved Hawks, and sadly the only way to get it back is another SB win hopefully with whats left of the LOB. Too bad the outcomes of 2013 and 2014 weren't reversed, it'd definitely feel better..get to SB, lose...get back win dominately.

This season is a disappointment compared to preseason expectations, but as the writing was on the wall for how the end played out. Someone show that clip of Pete nodding his head after the reversed call from the challenge. That's pretty much how I felt watching the game seeing our Hawks get their butts handed to them. Not the Hawks year.

Furthermore, I don't think the seahawks are the same since 2014. I didn't see dominance like we were so used too these past few seasons. Last year it took a missed FG to Squeak by Minnesota. I never thought in my heart they'd win it all these last two years.

People mention the Rams and Bears losses. Even if the Hawks won those games, I didn't think they were going to win a title. I definitely thought they'd win in 2014. Wasn't just the eye test. It was a culmination of events. The LOB at its peak.

SB 49 happens. We go up by ten and Brady leads Pats back. I wasn't worried because I knew Wilson would lead us to a win. Kearse makes the catch. ( I remember Collinsworth saying : " I can't believe he didn't get up and try to score". Looking back, it was unfortunate for us and fortunate for NE he didn't). We have it on the 1 yard line with 30 seconds left. Brady wouldn't of had enough time. I knew we were destined for greatness. Than the Butler play happened. Team hasn't been same since. That will always be the most disappointing.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Oh my God!!!, some of y'all are actually believe that it was the 2014 season as the "Most Disappointing Season EVER" ?!?!?!?!.......REALLY??!!
2014?!?!?! An ALL BEAT TO HELL Secondary, & a concussed Cliff Avril who nearly pulled off a win against a EGOTISTICAL BB & Brady as our most disappointing?????? season??????? GET REAL!!
Bettis Bowl tops my list, nothing else even comes close.

seahawksny

Reaction score
Hawker8989":1ydp9uev said:
ZagHawk":1ydp9uev said:
100% without a shadow of a doubt, 2014. Miracles had to happen to get the Seahawks all the way back to the SB.

1) Arizona collapsing the second half of the season ensuring NFCW HFA
2) Packers collapsing in the NFCCG and on-side kick recovery
3) Kearse catch to bring Hawks back to the red zone prior to Marshawn run up to the 1.

Then ALL OF THAT negated 100% by that play.

We will never know what the Hawks could have become after two back to back SB wins. Maybe they become the first team in history to win three in a row? Maybe they come back this year and win still cementing dynasty.

Regardless 2014 destroyed the aura around our beloved Hawks, and sadly the only way to get it back is another SB win hopefully with whats left of the LOB. Too bad the outcomes of 2013 and 2014 weren't reversed, it'd definitely feel better..get to SB, lose...get back win dominately.

This season is a disappointment compared to preseason expectations, but as the writing was on the wall for how the end played out. Someone show that clip of Pete nodding his head after the reversed call from the challenge. That's pretty much how I felt watching the game seeing our Hawks get their butts handed to them. Not the Hawks year.

Furthermore, I don't think the seahawks are the same since 2014. I didn't see dominance like we were so used too these past few seasons. Last year it took a missed FG to Squeak by Minnesota. I never thought in my heart they'd win it all these last two years.

People mention the Rams and Bears losses. Even if the Hawks won those games, I didn't think they were going to win a title. I definitely thought they'd win in 2014. Wasn't just the eye test. It was a culmination of events. The LOB at its peak.

SB 49 happens. We go up by ten and Brady leads Pats back. I wasn't worried because I knew Wilson would lead us to a win. Kearse makes the catch. ( I remember Collinsworth saying : " I can't believe he didn't get up and try to score". Looking back, it was unfortunate for us and fortunate for NE he didn't). We have it on the 1 yard line with 30 seconds left. Brady wouldn't of had enough time. I knew we were destined for greatness. Than the Butler play happened. Team hasn't been same since. That will always be the most disappointing.

Kearse DID try and score. Watch again.

seahawksny

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3m624c5b said:
Oh my God!!!, some of y'all are actually believe that it was the 2014 season as the "Most Disappointing Season EVER" ?!?!?!?!.......REALLY??!!
2014?!?!?! An ALL BEAT TO HELL Secondary, & a concussed Cliff Avril who nearly pulled off a win against a EGOTISTICAL BB & Brady as our most disappointing?????? season??????? GET REAL!!
Bettis Bowl tops my list, nothing else even comes close.

Agreed

nash72

Reaction score
2014 by miles. A call so bad that the Seahawks will be defined by it for years and years to come. 2005 was next for me. If it was anybody else besides Pittsburgh, I could have lived with it.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Obviously 2014 with the way it ended, but with all the crap that happened that season it's amazing they made it back to the Super Bowl that season.

I have a dark horse. I don't remember the exact year and I'm too lazy at this point to do the research, but there was a season I was especially hyped going into the season. It may have been the year we got Springs and Walt in the first round. Anyway, we opened the season against the Jets who were 1-15 the year before and lost the game 44 to some single digit number. A friend of mine still jokes to this day that a piece of me died that day and I've never gotten it back.