How much will Russell's contract be?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Let's re-visit this issue in a year.

Until then, everything is pure speculation.

ctrcat

Reaction score
The Panthers just exercised the option on Newton, so there will be no benchmark there through 2015. The 5th year option is only available to 1st rounders.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
RW and Richard Sherman both sign for half their market value and M$ signs an "advertising" contract with them for 75% of their market value. Everyone wins lol

jblaze

Reaction score
You guys thinking he'll get 10-15m/yr are crazy and not paying attention. Paul Allen donating to Children's on his behalf, endorsement dollars, not wanting to cash strap his team, deferred dollars, etc. All pipe dreams.

He'll get 18-21m/yr. Kap's contract, if it gets done before RW's, will be the precedent for the new young QB type contract.

RW deserves to get paid. He'll have played 3 years on the cheap and has given his discount already. He wants to own a team someday, you don't do that by taking discounts.

DynoHawk

Reaction score
They are expected to raise the salary cap to approx. $150 m by 2016, an increase of $17m from 2014. That would take care of Wilson's number.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
6 yr $100M just a shade under $18M per or if we are lucky a 7 year $109M which would be $17M per

sam1313

Reaction score
SonicHawk":hemltu8r said:
MizzouHawkGal":hemltu8r said:
Bigpumpkin":hemltu8r said:
A couple of things I've noted about Russell. He does not have a huge ego that needs to be fed by the media. He will be reasonable in his negotiations with John Schneider. He will seriously consider the effect of his contract on the team's ability to sign Defensive players.
This is why I think he will sign for 15-18 million even though he could get 20-25 million easily IF he was all about the money. I just don't think he is.

You're also delusional (don't worry, we all are a bit in this one).

I agree wholeheartedly that he would take less $$$ to play with us than any other team, but it can't be ridiculously less. I'd say at max he'll take $1M less than he would somewhere else. We're all working under a cap so other teams can't offer too much more than us.

He has his family and financial legacy to think about that trumps his wants as a professional football player. None of us think he's stupid, why would we expect him to be stupid when it comes to his contract?

This team can survive a lot of different free agents leaving, but not the QB.

Max of $1 million is crazy. He could make more in endorsements on a winning team in 3 months of the year, and he would save at least $2 million just by being in Washington on a $20 million/year contract. Don't get me wrong, I doubt he takes less that $15 mil a year, but he wants to be the best ever, and he knows superbowls are needed to achieve that goal. I think right around $15 mil, most of which will be fully guaranteed, for about 5 years. But what do I know...

sam1313

Reaction score
Penman96":s4cty1wl said:
OK this is a little over the top, but let's say for example next time I have a job review and I get a choice to make between;

$15 million a year, for about 8 years, plus huge local endorsements
Live here where I'm loved and comfortable
Have a job I love where my boss is awesome
I'm on a "team" where my objective is usually achieved, where I'm a celebrated leader in the media
I get multiple rings from winning the biggest championship in sports
I'm a household name and HOF'er, and can make endorsements and run charities for the rest of my life when I retire

and;

$20 million a year, for 4 or 5 years, plus few local endorsements
Live in Cleveland where I have start over
Have an unstable job I don't know if I'll like, and I'm a goat in the media for not winning and costing too much
I'm on a "team" where I'm not winning and getting hammered
I win nothing ever again and retire in relative anonymity...

I'll just stay here :)

You forgot to add that there is an additional 10% income tax per year on the 2nd job (if it is in Cal for the Raiders for example...).

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
SonicHawk":ht8dpz8m said:
Penman96":ht8dpz8m said:
I could see 12 million / year for a second contract. He's a good quarterback and a good leader in the perfect scheme for him. Everyone's happy!

HAHAHA

You guys are joking right?

Wilson will be getting no less than $20M/year.

Naw, I still like playing the "You're not on an elite passing team" because youre too short and just an average passer. Heres 12 million, we won't offer a dollar more, besides you don't need that much now that you cut ties with that rabid fang of a woman.

I hope someone enjoys this post.

themunn

Reaction score
DynoHawk":3fyxuqc0 said:
They are expected to raise the salary cap to approx. $150 m by 2016, an increase of $17m from 2014. That would take care of Wilson's number.

And given the salary cap increased by way more than what was expected this season, it might end up even more.
To be honest, the salary cap needs to go up by even more than that - the global salary scale that came out last week showed us that so many sports teams salary (which is uncapped) is far higher than the NFL allows, despite the fact that the NFL makes more than any of them - around 12 billion in revenue last year compared to around 4 for the English Premier League, which had 13 of its 20 teams pay it's players more on average than the top NFL team - granted, these teams have half as many players, but that's no reason not to renumerate them at the same level - particularly as the majority of players on the active roster will get game time

suppaball

Reaction score
Rw strikes me as a Brady type. TB took a pay cut to help his team. However the pats did not use said money to help team. Regardless Brady took a play cut to better his team.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I could see Wilson accepting a 8 yr/120 million deal w/ 60 million guaranteed some way or another.

We'd be paying him after 3 year of service, not 4, hence the initial discount.

I could see years 1-4 being fully guaranteed.

Yr 1: 8 mil
Yr 2: 10 mil
Yr 3: 12 mil
Yr 4: 14 mil

But throw in another 24 mil in incentives... some he can reach... some that might be hard.

You're looking at 4 yr, 44 million-68 million w/incentives

This opens the door to retaining more players and keeping the Championship window wide open.

Wilson is on record of saying he wants to be the best QB ever, you don't do that by severly limiting your teams chances resign quality players that've you built chemistry with.

Yrs 5-8 are a little heavier.

Yr5: 16
Yr6: 18
Yr7: 20
Yr8: 22

By then you are banking on Wilson becoming an All-Pro Win Engineer that can earn the money or you back loaded the contract enough to move on once his elusive speed diminishes and he's not effective anymore.

In theory you have a contract that's worth 15/yr up to 18/yr.

That's great money.

Considering he'll eventually start pulling in 5-10 mil off investements per year for the next decade.... Willson is going to be worth about $200 million dollars. If he gets hurt, he'll have at least $60 million. In this scenario.

Either way I think its rather stupid to believe he's going to cash out as much as possible and will go to another team like the Raiders or Jaguars to do so. Again you don't set a goal wanting to be the best QB ever without making sacrifices...I could understand if he had prototypical height but eventually he'll lose his elusiveness that makes him great and he won't be the same. So in my head thinking for him, I would want to get paid but not so much where I can't keep the team together because I want to leave this game a legend an ultimate champion... and I know enough I need trustworthy and quality teammates around me that are also happy.

I can see a contract like that I think 15-18 mil is more than fair, 18+ is overkill and he's getting away from what he wants to be in this league or it will impact what he wants to be in this league, and I don't think he'll choose more money over a better team.

But that's just me...

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1sj9nfdp said:
SonicHawk":1sj9nfdp said:
Penman96":1sj9nfdp said:
I could see 12 million / year for a second contract. He's a good quarterback and a good leader in the perfect scheme for him. Everyone's happy!

HAHAHA

You guys are joking right?

Wilson will be getting no less than $20M/year.

Naw, I still like playing the "You're not on an elite passing team" because youre too short and just an average passer. Heres 12 million, we won't offer a dollar more, besides you don't need that much now that you cut ties with that rabid fang of a woman.

I hope someone enjoys this post.
No worries Hans loves it.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I agree with Suppaball and Pandion just showed one of multiple ways it can be done. We will pay him and we will win on the level few of the 38's can comprehend. (I'm a 20 something).

Penman96

Reaction score
Suspect his guaranteed money will be about $45 - $50 million over 4 years. The total / potential amount will probably be about $18 / year as long as he keeps developing this year, however that amount will be structured to fit the cap in a helpful way, just like how all these other QB contracts get twisted and turned. He will be a Hawk forever I think.