How NE intended final play to look A/B comparison

olyfan63

Reaction score
This is how New England was expecting that last play to look. Notice the formation, notice Bobby Wagner, notice the blocks that went according to script, and notice the hole that Cam Newton had to run through.

Would enjoy any other A/B comparison breakdowns between the two plays, which look identical, except for the outcomes. EDIT: I'm wrong about the formation, as the RB was lined up on Cam's right side on the TD, but lined up on his LEFT side on the run stuff. So NE actually ran a "stronger" formation to the side Cam ran to, trying to make sure.

[youtube]XDp1FDp1ORM[/youtube]

I SO MUCH PREFER this alternate ending:

[youtube]ppfYSE_Vb7Y[/youtube]

Whoever wrote the script for this game, with all the plotlines and twists, it was a masterpiece!

EDIT: Adding in another play the Patriots ran, out of this same look. Looks like a Cam run, but has a different ending altogether.
[youtube]c3Q-FwK9ORg[/youtube]

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I think bill flubbed the call. I would of done the toss to the FB for the GW pass.

A-Dog

Reaction score
lots of things happened... play was slightly different in that the FB lined up on the right side for the TD but on the left for the stop.

Mone actually did okay on both plays... he's a big boy

Poona and Collier got destroyed on the TD, Collier (obviously) and to a lesser extent Poona did much better on the stop.

Bobby instantly shot the gap on the stop which upset the timing and caused the pulling guard to stop short and probably helped out Poona and Collier. Wonder if that was the result of Pete talking to him prior to the play. He was a beat late reacting and guessed wrong on the TD.

Hill was faced with the FB instead of the pulling guard and did a much better job against the FB setting the edge (he was taken out of play by the pulling guard on the TD)

Barton got blocked both times but actually did better on the TD, as he at least absorbed blocks both the TE and the FB. I hope we see KJ move to SAM and we bring in Brooks to play WILL now that Irvin is gone for the season.

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
A-Dog":2z5yhr5q said:
lots of things happened... play was slightly different in that the FB lined up on the right side for the TD but on the left for the stop.

Mone actually did okay on both plays... he's a big boy

Poona and Collier got destroyed on the TD, Collier (obviously) and to a lesser extent Poona did much better on the stop.

Bobby instantly shot the gap on the stop which upset the timing and caused the pulling guard to stop short and probably helped out Poona and Collier. Wonder if that was the result of Pete talking to him prior to the play. He was a beat late reacting and guessed wrong on the TD.

Hill was faced with the FB instead of the pulling guard and did a much better job against the FB setting the edge (he was taken out of play by the pulling guard on the TD)

Barton got blocked both times but actually did better on the TD, as he at least absorbed blocks both the TE and the FB. I hope we see KJ move to SAM and we bring in Brooks to play WILL now that Irvin is gone for the season.

Thanks for the breakdown! Nice point, A-Dog, about Brooks now probably being thrust into the fire with Irvin gone for the season. Sucks to lose Irvin, but I'm excited to see Brooks get his shot and I think he will ball out for us.

I'm a bit in awe of the Hawks D, and Carroll and Wagner, getting the players on the same page, and getting such a different outcome when the game was on the line. How do you communicate that level of information and get all the guys to diagnose and react so well together?

Fullback Jakob Johnson (47) gets submarined and taken down by Lano Hill. HUGE play, and keeps Johnson from leaking out to receive a pass. Bobby knifes in from the backside, this time fast enough to disrupt the play, instead of a count too slow like on other ones. In general, the whole D-Line got forward push, or at least didn't get pushed back, unlike other plays where they did.

Carroll guessed, and rolled the dice, sold out on his guess, and he guessed right!! And the defense executed!! Brilliant when it works!!

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":3biu7wne said:
I think bill flubbed the call. I would of done the toss to the FB for the GW pass.
That worked once; Hill submarined the FB on the game-winning play, but yeah, FB probably would have tried to elude him if it were a pass, maybe Hill recognizes it and goes with him in coverage. Wishful thinking?

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
olyfan63":87uqhpe7 said:
Shanegotyou11":87uqhpe7 said:
That worked once; Hill submarined the FB on the game-winning play, but yeah, FB probably would have tried to elude him if it were a pass, maybe Hill recognizes it and goes with him in coverage. Wishful thinking?

I believe it was a run play all the way. I mean i read that was 1st time cam has been stopped at 1 yard line. Im glad they didnt line up goal line as well.

chris98251

Reaction score
Cam had never been denied on that play, it was their goal line bread and butter, there is a first time for everything, is a payback for the Browner stuff of Kearse during the Super Bowl knowing what was coming.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
As much as Pete gets crap for his coaching at the end of games, he had that team VERY prepared on that play.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":2g52tmhs said:

I disagree, that FB would have been covered and the play would have been a bust. Cam gets us there 4 out of 5 times easily

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":111his1z said:
olyfan63":111his1z said:
Shanegotyou11":111his1z said:

I believe it was a run play all the way. I mean i read that was 1st time cam has been stopped at 1 yard line. Im glad they didnt line up goal line as well.
He was stopped on the 2 pt conversion too.

D

DomeHawk

I think the key to the play was Collier taking Cam low. He's big enough to shed tacklers and had done that repeatedly.

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
chris98251":2gf30ly2 said:
Cam had never been denied on that play, it was their goal line bread and butter, there is a first time for everything, is a payback for the Browner stuff of Kearse during the Super Bowl knowing what was coming.

Totally THIS. Just in awe of the job the Hawks did on that play. That was Hoodie and McDaniels going to "impose their will", Pete Carroll-style, on the Hawks, running their sure-thing play, with their best player. Carroll, Wagner, LJ, Hill, Poona, really put it together to stop it.

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
DomeHawk":312c1wtb said:
I think the key to the play was Collier taking Cam low. He's big enough to shed tacklers and had done that repeatedly.

What did you think about Wagner's role on that play? It looked to me like Wagner pushed his blocker into Cam just as Cam was gathering hop over the pile. Plus the pulling guard had to peel back to deal with Wagner instead of lead-blocking.

Totally, Collier's effort and play were awesome, and can't argue with the results. There were so many heroic efforts on that one play, especially Collier, Bobby, and Hill, and every one of them was needed to get the positive outcome.

toffee

Reaction score
DomeHawk":3r8yjkt2 said:

NE used a TE on Collier I heard, it worked first time but somehow Collier figured out the second time.