How close are the Seahawks to a Superbowl run?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Lolol. No they wont.

It must suck to be this angry of a sports fan. Do you even enjoy watching the Hawks?

Like because of whatever fire Pete scenario you made up in your head never comes to fruition, so you're just going to be angry all the time out of some weird spite?

We made the WC round last year, it's really not that far fetched to think with the combo of last year's amazing draft class taking the next step, Geno with one more year under his starter belt and hopefully this year's draft class and free agent pickups that the Hawks can make it to the divisional round.

I know, crazy glass half full!! SO NUTS!!!

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
It must suck to be this angry of a sports fan. Do you even enjoy watching the Hawks?

Like because of whatever fire Pete scenario you made up in your head never comes to fruition, so you're just going to be angry all the time out of some weird spite?

We made the WC round last year, it's really not that far fetched to think with the combo of last year's amazing draft class taking the next step, Geno with one more year under his starter belt and hopefully this year's draft class and free agent pickups that the Hawks can make it to the divisional round.

Just basing my opinion on the past 8 years of facts. Hey it’s cool if you think he and they can buck the trend. I don’t that’s all. I feel it’ll be more of the same.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
View attachment 59000

There is no doubt he has become a better player and he surpassed all my expectations last year, except for one.

Turnovers.

If you just look at his TD/INT ratio by itself it doesn't seem all that bad, hell 30/11 is pretty commendable. But when you add the 9 fumbles, 5 lost, things get a little concerning.

This year was a major improvement when compared to his rookie year; 12/21 INT, 8 fumbles, 4 lost. It is hard to believe that the Jets gave him another year after that.

But really not so much when compared to year 2; 13/13 INT, 8 fumbles, 3 lost.

Geno has has become a more accurate passer but is pretty much the same when caring for the ball.
How does Geno compare to other QBs? Mahomes had 9 fumbles in 2018 and 2021. Does that make him a bad QB as well?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Just basing my opinion on the past 8 years of facts. Hey it’s cool if you think he and they can buck the trend. I don’t that’s all. I feel it’ll be more of the same.

Right, like every other above average NFL franchise.

The Patriots 20 year run was an aberration that the NFL will never see again. Even the best organizations don't stay on top long, that's the ENTIRE model of the NFL. Parity.

So to expect us to not go through down cycles after going to two SB's is not being a realistic fan. The is especially true after finding out last year that umm, yeah we weren't "wasting Russell's prime" cause of Pete. Nope, just the same trends and downturns in roster strength every good organization goes through after winning.

The fact that we've maintained a playoff caliber roster IMO should be celebrated. Not criticized for being some perennial deep playoff runs every year, like you and other irrational fans expect.

Hopefully with these last two drafts we're on our way back to making some deep playoff runs. But to have EXPECTED that over the past 8 years when then entire league is rigged against that? Unrealistic at best, and unfair for you to expect that at worst.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score

Right on! This team is on a good trajectory. I think we need just one more year to add a few missing pieces, and the Seahawks will be competitive with anybody.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Yes, Jalen is better than Geno. A big part of his game is what he did on the ground. Geno’s issue is going back to college he collapsed in key moments. He also got very lucky not to turn over the ball more than he did.

Geno isn’t a bad QB, but I don’t think you can rely on the guy when the going gets tough. I think he falls squarely on the Cousins, Alex Smith group of QBs.
Cousins and Alex Smith when the going gets tough... Fine about Cousins, but consider this Alex Smith play in the Divisional Playoff round:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

The Patriots 20 year run was an aberration that the NFL will never see again. Even the best organizations don't stay on top long, that's the ENTIRE model of the NFL. Parity.

So to expect us to not go through down cycles after going to two SB's is not being a realistic fan. The is especially true after finding out last year that umm, yeah we weren't "wasting Russell's prime" cause of Pete. Nope, just the same trends and downturns in roster strength every good organization goes through after winning.

The fact that we've maintained a playoff caliber roster IMO should be celebrated. Not criticized for being some perennial deep playoff runs every year, like you and other irrational fans expect.

Hopefully with these last two drafts we're on our way back to making some deep playoff runs. But to have EXPECTED that over the past 8 years when then entire league is rigged against that? Unrealistic at best, and unfair for you to expect that at worst.

Well said.

Hawk4life

Reaction score
How does Geno compare to other QBs? Mahomes had 9 fumbles in 2018 and 2021. Does that make him a bad QB as well?
Geno's performance last year wasn't bad.

take the worst and pretend the rest doesn't exist but, hypothetically, if those were his only 2 years then it would defiantly raise serious concerns about his ability to protect the ball. But there is also the fact that only 6 of those 18 fumbles were lost.

Mahomes has issues with fumbles but it isn't always as problematic since it is only significant in 2 years.

Geno has had consistent issues with fumbles in every full season he has played.

Mod Edit: Removed political point....please refrain from discussing politics.

Last edited by a moderator:

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Geno's performance last year wasn't bad.

That is kind of Democrat agenda like to only take the worst and pretend the rest doesn't exist
This is where I stopped reading. Ain't interested in your political views in a football forum.

Hawk4life

Reaction score
This is where I stopped reading. Ain't interested in your political views in a football forum.
Seems you brought it, I was just pointing it out.

I guess I should have also made more of a point of putting words in my mouth, I never said Geno is a bad QB.

That was your word manipulation, "Does that make him a bad QB as well?"

Last edited:

Hawk4life

Reaction score
Geno had 8 fumbles last year, that's only two more than the lowest QB's, and half of the highest.

That's not an "issue," that's a median norm for NFL QB's.
Again, I never said it was bad. It is something he can improve. The reason it is concerning is because his fumbles didn't improve like his accuracy did.

We need points to win games and if Geno is only capable of giving us 1 or 2 TD's a game then those lost fumbles become a much bigger issue.

Last edited:

pittpnthrs

Reaction score

Since you brought up the patriots, sure they went through some down cycles but those times were sprinkled with conference title losses and even Super Bowl losses. Heck the packers went to numerous conference title games. The Seahawks have went 8 straight years without being able to get past the second round. The ‘at least we made the playoffs’ shtick gets old after awhile. I would gladly give up some of the playoff appearances to make it a little further once in awhile. Even last season when they made the playoffs, everybody knew they weren’t going anywhere once they got in. I see more of the same in the future until we move on from Carroll. Great regular season coach but not much more than that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Again, I never said it was bad. It is something he can improve. The reason it is concerning is because his fumbles didn't improve like his accuracy did.

We need points to win games and if Geno is only capable of giving us 1 or 2 TD's a game then those lost fumbles become a much bigger issue.

Fumbles are always bad. But saying it's an "issue" insinuates it's outside of the average of all NFL QB's.

Geno plays the way Pete wants him to play, and how he always wants his QB's to play. Try to take care of the ball, but still let it rip when you're confident in your throws.

That's exactly what Geno did last year, and hopefully will continue to do. 8 fumbles is not an issue, it's not. 12? 14? Leads the league in fumbles. Yep, we got ourselves an issue. Just being in the mean average is not an issue.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Since you brought up the patriots, sure they went through some down cycles but those times were sprinkled with conference title losses and even Super Bowl losses. Heck the packers went to numerous conference title games. The Seahawks have went 8 straight years without being able to get past the second round. The ‘at least we made the playoffs’ shtick gets old after awhile. I would gladly give up some of the playoff appearances to make it a little further once in awhile. Even last season when they made the playoffs, everybody knew they weren’t going anywhere once they got in. I see more of the same in the future until we move on from Carroll. Great regular season coach but not much more than that.

I don't believe you. You and others would still complain if we sprinkled in another couple 2nd round exits or a conference title loss like the Packers.

Because your narrative is "Pete needs to be fired." So anything short of 3-4 conference titles and another couple SB appearances wouldn't change your stubborn opinions about this.

I haven't been doing jumping jacks the last eight years either, some frustrating seasons for sure. But now that we see what a complete and utter dumpster fire Russell's been in Denver has shined a light for me on just what an amazing job Pete did over those eight years trying to hold his team, locker room and keeping it from all imploding with a QB that was unhappy and trying to get him fired for the last 3-4 years wanting more control..............AND all the while getting the best out of Russell.

I'm sorry you still don't see that.

Last edited:

pmedic920

Reaction score
Well during Pete’s tenure the “same” you speak of has been very successful (relatively speaking).

If you take into account what things were like before PC and what other teams have done during his same time frame, we truly don’t have much to bitch about.

There’s tons of NFL football fans that would love to have some of your “same”.

Just sayin’

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Fumbles are always bad. But saying it's an "issue" insinuates it's outside of the average of all NFL QB's.

Geno plays the way Pete wants him to play, and how he always wants his QB's to play. Try to take care of the ball, but still let it rip when you're confident in your throws.

That's exactly what Geno did last year, and hopefully will continue to do. 8 fumbles is not an issue, it's not. 12? 14? Leads the league in fumbles. Yep, we got ourselves an issue. Just being in the mean average is not an issue.
This is exactly what I was getting at. Good post.

Hawk4life

Reaction score

Agreed and it really wouldn't even be an issue if he is tossing 3 or more TD's a game, but he isn't. He averaged 1.8 per game last year.

Based on his stats it seems likely that the more asked of Geno the more he will fumble. And so far, coming from behind hasn't gone very well.

I really liked Matt Hasselbecks comment that when it comes to Geno's situation of taking advantage of a second opportunity, it is similar to what he experienced. But when asked about play style, he said Geno's game is more like Russ.

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
My perception is that the more asked of Geno the more fumbles and so far, expecting him to come from behind hasn't gone so well.

I agree. He hasn't proven he's a great come from behind QB, he presses.

Which is probably why we used a a lot of our draft capital on a stud WR, a workhorse RB and O-line depth so Geno doesn't have to press as much as he did last year.

My point in chiming in on this thread is not to shout it from the mountain tops that Geno's some elite QB destined to take us to SB greatness. It's merely to say I think a lot of people are focusing on the wrong part of the SB equation.

Geno's fine, it's the defense and run game that people should be starting SB or not threads. Not Geno. He's important, but he's proven he's good enough IMO. Is the run game and defense good enough? Eh, not so sure yet.

Last edited: