How the Seahawks were saved from California’s clutches

Maulbert

Reaction score
chris98251":mr49dxkm said:
Well this opens up my eyes a bit more

Southern California partner, and he said he will concentrate his efforts on the entertainment industry here, including the Walt Disney Co.

Who owns ESPN, guess we know that they have a bit of a grudge against us for a reason, as far as the name I remember Black Hawks being brought up to copy his Business.

But the article also states that:

He said he has no deal in place with a prospective minority owner or no understanding as such with Michael Ovitz, a close friend who is now president of Disney. He said that won't preclude Ovitz from possibly becoming his partner at some time, but he said Ovitz's ties to Disney and Disney's reluctance to attach itself to a team leaving another city have forced him to be cautious in his dealings with Ovitz.

As I understand it, Disney knew helping an owner relocate a franchise could well mean a drop in revenue for Disney in the region the team left. That likely wasn't a risk they wanted to take. Not from the outset, anyway. You'll note Disney wasn't involved in the Carson project, just Bob Iger.

chris98251

Reaction score
What is open and talked about is 1 percent of the facts, the Disney Group has been on a power play for years, they may have been cautious but I would think very back room involved and at least a consultation or influence with getting a Stadium, adding a private interest ownership if things broke their way and the Seattle area didn't do what they did. Then it would be safe to involve themselves to a relocated team after the fires were put out initially.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Great read. I never knew the whole story.

Hated Behring for years but his Smithsonian donation has bought him absolution in my eyes.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Now, if Paul Allen wants to be a REAL hero, he'll get rid of the Trailblazers and bring the Sonics back to Seattle.

Maulbert

Reaction score
fenderbender123":1svya6ne said:
Now, if Paul Allen wants to be a REAL hero, he'll get rid of the Trailblazers and bring the Sonics back to Seattle.

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised he hasn't played even a couple of exhibition games up here to drum up support.

chris98251

Reaction score
Maulbert":2kheyg11 said:
fenderbender123":2kheyg11 said:

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised he hasn't played even a couple of exhibition games up here to drum up support.

If they did it would be in Key arena, play in Key arena fuels the councils argument, better to play in the Tacoma Dome or Hec Ed.

Jayburd14

Reaction score
Maulbert":2nizecea said:
fenderbender123":2nizecea said:

They scheduled one a few years back when Brandon Roy was on the team, but they cancelled it at the last minute and moved the game to the Memorial Colisuem (Blazers old arena)

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
fenderbender123":hr37mxt7 said:

Impossible ..... that would be so far out of character for Paul Allen. His works are about building and enriching community. Paul Allen has made generous contributions and enriched the lives of many communities including my local community here in Southern Oregon. He would be the last person to intentionally harm Portland or any other community. He simply isn't built that way.

Paul Allen sets an outstanding example in commitment to community. This world would be a better place with more men wired like Paul Allen.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Either the NBA or NFL doesn't allow their owners to have multiple sports franchises in the same city.

Reason why Allen is a minority owner of the Sounders.

gulliver

Reaction score
HawkWow":2o9n75yj said:
A friend of mine here in Hawaii is a developer.. mainly resorts. We get talking and he says "I've been doing some business with the old owner of the Seahawks...I was on his private plane with him last week". I ask Ken Behring? And he says "yes". I told him even though he's an old pal, I would have been ecstatic had the plane crashed.
Really? Does your friend or his loved ones know you wish he died in a fiery plane crash to avenge an anonymous sports grudge with the Hawks' onetime owner?

It's a bit much man, really. Life is short. Get your priorities straight. That's an insane thing to say.