How to win with a Big Money QB - Bucky Brooks

ivotuk

Reaction score
1) First, make sure the franchise quarterback is really worth franchise-player money.

I know we loosely affix the "franchise quarterback" moniker to many of the starting quarterbacks in the league, but not all starting quarterbacks are premier players at the position. All QB1s aren't created equal and they shouldn't get elite money unless they play at an elite level. That's the standard and expectation for all of the other positions on the field, and it should be the qualifier for quarterbacks, as well.

Now, that doesn't mean the quarterback has to average 300-plus yards or lead the league in touchdowns, but he has to be able to make the plays in crucial moments needed to win games. Whether that's delivering a pinpoint pass into a tight window or running for a pivotal first down on a zone-read play or impromptu scramble, the guys earning big coin at the position need to be able to make plays when the team is counting on them.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... must-avoid

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
A stat I always found interesting was Troy Aikman's YPG, 199.6

An elite QB doesn't need to throw it for a ton of yards of he has a relatively balanced team. He just needs to be accurate, understand the game, and make those throws at the beginning of the game, and especially at the end of the game. Troy's lifetime completion percentage was 61.5.

knownone

Reaction score
ivotuk":2apf0hgy said:

An elite QB doesn't need to throw it for a ton of yards of he has a relatively balanced team. He just needs to be accurate, understand the game, and make those throws at the beginning of the game, and especially at the end of the game. Troy's lifetime completion percentage was 61.5.
Troy won a single Super Bowl the same year the NFL instituted a salary cap. He might not be the best example of how to win while paying your QB big money. They were essentially a .500 team post salary cap.

chris98251

Reaction score
Franchise QB's are a guy that wins and compliments the scheme, whether it's passing, calling plays and recognizing defenses to change the play when needed, one that makes the players around him look better. Call it the it factor, all you that rely on a Stat sheet to make your arguments have no way to argue the it factor and respect and way a QB can get a offense to play above their stat skill levels.

Maulbert

Reaction score
ivotuk":2j8kr0gz said:

I might add, 61.5% may not be impressive now, but in the 90's, that was downright obscene for a career. Only Steve Young and Joe Montana are higher amongst players who started their careers before 1990. And if you add in players who started IN the 90's, the list only grows by 7 (Kurt Warner, Peyton Manning, Dante Culpepper, Brian Griese, Brett Favre, Brad Johnson, and Jeff Garcia), and only Favre and Johnson started playing before '95.