How tough are the Patriots? Not as tough as the Rams.

Rex

Reaction score
Tedy Bruschi

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england-pat ... d-patriots

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. — How tough are the New England Patriots?

Bill Belichick once told me that you measure toughness in football by running the ball, stopping the run and covering kicks.

I agree with that assessment but also believe there are other measurements of toughness in football. Are you a good tackling team? Are you tough enough to break tackles?

The Patriots pass muster when it comes to the statistics that reveal how tough a team is.

Using those variables I have made a toughness index to see who are the tough teams of the NFL through eight weeks of the season.

The categories are as follows:

Offensive yards before contact per rush. Does your offensive line win the line of scrimmage to give runners space to gain yards?

Offensive yards after contact per touch. Not just for running plays, but for all offensive touches (including receptions). Are your ball carriers tough to tackle?

Defensive yards before contact per rush. Is your defensive line winning the line of scrimmage? Are they getting penetration to stop a runner before he gets started?

Defensive yards after contact per touch. How good is your defense at tackling runners and receivers once they get the ball?

And for the former special teams coach that Belichick is, opponents’ kick return average and punt return average. Now at almost the halfway point of the season, there have been enough returns to measure this area.

After taking a team’s ranking in each area and averaging them out, here are the results (just like in football, low man wins):

1. Rams — 7.33
2. Raiders — 8.17
3. Patriots — 9.50
4. Chiefs — 9.67
5. Buccaneers — 11.17
6. Eagles — 11.50
7. Ravens — 12.83
8. Colts — 13.17
9. Vikings — 13.33
10. Cardinals — 13.50
11. Steelers — 13.67
12. Packers — 14.17
13. Dolphins — 15.17
15t. Broncos — 15.67
15t. Falcons — 1567
16. Panthers — 16.00
17. Jaguars — 16.17
18. Seahawks — 16.83
19. Jets — 17.17
20. 49ers — 17.33
21. Giants — 17.50
22. Bills — 17.83
23. Bengals — 18.17
24. Cowboys — 20.17
25. Lions — 20.67
26. Titans — 21.33
27. Saints — 22.67
28. Redskins — 22.83
29. Bears — 23.83
30. Browns — 24.17
31. Texans — 24.33
32. Chargers — 26.00

SuperMan28

Reaction score
Feels good to be the toughest team in the NFL. That's Fisher's specialty.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Probably don't need another Rams thread...

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Rex":37ip0cv6 said:

because this topic fits nicely into the numerous other NFC west threads, pregame Rams-Vikings thread...

or even the Rams board.

OP
OP
R

Rex

Reaction score
Uncle Si":20kxaleh said:
Rex":20kxaleh said:

because this topic fits nicely into the numerous other NFC west threads, pregame Rams-Vikings thread...

or even the Rams board.

"[ NFL NATION ]
Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13"

But this is the NFL Nation forum.....AND......only the Rams and 49ers are playing tomorrow.....AND......no other thread is about the quantification of a teams toughness. So my friend your logic is flawed.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Rex":26vxlxwe said:
Uncle Si":26vxlxwe said:
Rex":26vxlxwe said:

or even the Rams board.

"[ NFL NATION ]
Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13"

But this is the NFL Nation forum.....AND......only the Rams and 49ers are playing tomorrow.....AND......no other thread is about the quantification of a teams toughness. So my friend your logic is flawed.

We alsobtry and limit the clutter on the boards. The basis of your thread is illogical to begin with, really. Quantifying toughness? Flawed, one might say.

The rams have a thread. Many actually. Do you want to post in them?

OP
OP
R

Rex

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3dtxk0ga said:
Rex":3dtxk0ga said:
Uncle Si":3dtxk0ga said:
Rex":3dtxk0ga said:

or even the Rams board.

"[ NFL NATION ]

We alsobtry and limit the clutter on the boards. The basis of your thread is illogical to begin with, really. Quantifying toughness? Flawed, one might say.

"Flawed.....Illogical"? How so? How would you quantify a teams toughness?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
tattoos in uncomfortable places? Bench press and squats? Number of nails eaten? Length of time they can hold their palm over a candle?

I dont think you can....that's why I see the mathematical equation used to be illogical....and flawed.

Now...it appears the Rams tackle well and do good job of staying alive after contact. Is that "toughness?"

kobebryant

Reaction score
SuperMan28":2oh0zl22 said:

Is it though?

I know that he likes to talk about it, but when was the last time come the end of the season that we could look back and objectively say that a Jeff Fisher team was the toughest in the NFL?

OP
OP
R

Rex

Reaction score
Uncle Si":39jr939l said:
tattoos in uncomfortable places? Bench press and squats? Number of nails eaten? Length of time they can hold their palm over a candle?

I dont think you can....that's why I see the mathematical equation used to be illogical....and flawed.

Now...it appears the Rams tackle well and do good job of staying alive after contact. Is that "toughness?"

Tatoos? Coaches know what toughness is and so do players. The criteria given in the article was of the physical whereas I believe there is mental toughness in the game as well. Yards after contact has already been mentioned in the article.

OP
OP
R

Rex

Reaction score
kobebryant":2j7ancey said:
SuperMan28":2j7ancey said:

Is it though?

I know that he likes to talk about it, but when was the last time come the end of the season that we could look back and objectively say that a Jeff Fisher team was the toughest in the NFL?

I'd say '99 without a doubt.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Rex":303zhucz said:
kobebryant":303zhucz said:
SuperMan28":303zhucz said:

Is it though?

I'd say '99 without a doubt.

Agreed.

Throwdown

Reaction score
SuperMan28":3jr0vdkl said:

I dunno if you look at his past, I'd say mediocrity was.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
chris98251":1rrlms3c said:
Tough or dirtier then the Patriots?

Normally I would be right on board with you about dirty but credit where it is due. So far this year I haven't seen anything that qualifies for it since the season began. Now preseason yes but not since.

The Rams and Cards are both playing very good right now. Makes you wonder why we can't trade divisions with Indy. I know the 9ers are probably 3 times worse than any team in that division but that is not the same as getting what equates to 7 bi weeks and a 6 lead start on the rest of the NFL. Parity my ass.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Largent80":3mr7pd0j said:
Rams looking WEAK vs. a crappy Minny team.
Until the refs stepped in and helped them.......first not calling a late hit to the knees on Bridgewater and then calling a roughing the passer on Foles that wasn't. Wondering if the NFL is trying to help the Rams win so when they go to L.A. they'll sell tix.

Latest posts