Hurtt will be only major firing

nanomoz

Reaction score
Go back and watch the game again and count how many times our players missed tackles from good positions. That isn’t coaching that is effort. Individuals need to be held accountable for crappy tackling. There are only a handful of players making good tackles right now and that is basic football 101.
I thought Pete's strength was as a motivator--getting great effort out of his players.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
But why Waldron? How many OC has Pete gotten rid of that really didn't do that bad while under Pete Carroll? Was Bevell so bad? And what about Schottenheimer? I didn't think he was bad. They were scapegoat firings to save Pete's job.
And the fact that Me3 basically ignored everything, trying to scamper his old fat ass around for 3 quarters, and then play hero ball.

I loved the post game loss presser from a couple years ago: Pete: "That's just Russ doing what Russ does."

And, keep in mind, Waldron started out balls. Until he drank some sort of kool aid, or whatever the **** happened there. We actually had a 3 TE set yesterday. Looked at the wife and said: "Once a year, whether you need it or not! Just hit our quota!". ;)

I don't think the OC's have been a complete shit show. I think it's a combination of Me3 residue coloring some of our perceptions of
'who' the problem on O was for a bunch of years, and a 90 degree turn by Waldron post-Munich last season.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
3 total playoff wins - all in different years - in NINE years (including this year) IS crap. And the last 3 years - 9-8 or 8-9, 9-8, 7-10 is really crap. Any other team in any other city and he is gone long ago. Chiefs had the same issue with Reg Season Shottenheimer and his playoff failures. It has been NINE years since losing the Super Bowl and could have actually been winless in the playoffs if the Vikings make an easy field goal, the Eagles have their starting QB (or the game is 5 minutes longer) and the Lions are at full strength (though that was a solid win what 7 years ago?). There is no future with PC. Either it is hi coaching or his hiring of coordinators it is all on him. The Super Bowl afterglow (from TEN years ago) is long gone and his legacy is fading away.
Only 7 teams have won more than 3 playoff games since 2015. So the other 25 teams are all crap by your standard. I just have a different definition. The Seahawks have been around average NFL team the last couple years. Not a Super Bowl contender but not crap, either. This can change fast in the NFL. The Lions did it. The Bears are doing it. Give our young players another year to develop, get a better DC, add a few solid starters to the defense, draft a good QB. This is all within reach.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
The Seahawks have been around average NFL team the last couple years. Not a Super Bowl contender but not crap, either. This can change fast in the NFL. The Lions did it. The Bears are doing it. Give our young players another year to develop, get a better DC, add a few solid starters to the defense, draft a good QB. This is all within reach.

The Lions and Bears have something in common. They both have young, energetic coaches with current schemes and philosophies.

It's really not within reach. Players have already given up.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
What would you suggest? I'm curious what you think the path is, or what you believe is happening or should happen? Where do you stand on the current status of the team? Do you believe everything is fine? Do you believe Pete will fix the issues? Do you believe they should move on from Pete?
My suggestion is to:
1) Fire Hurtt.
2) Scrap this entire defensive system.
3) Whatever system they come up with, they need to be able to run a more standard front instead of running so many nickel formations. They are undersized, so we need to draft and/or sign some bigger guys in the front 7.
4) We either need to part company with Wagner or need to change his role. He's a liability in coverage even though he's got some of the better run-stopping instincts on the team. I know he's a leader and that's why you want him to have the mic on defense, but we have to be able to pull him out on 3rd and long and we can't right now.

As for Pete, my largest point is that he hasn't been complacent. That's a false narrative. There are so many people who think 'everything is the same' because we have had similar results last year to where we were before. No, our results are similar, but we reached them in a different way.

If Pete were, in fact, seemingly completely unwilling to make any changes, then we'd be having a different convo. As is, if Pete hasn't already started to have some difficult conversations with Hurtt, I *might* still think he should be on the chopping block, too. Our defense has been that bad these past two years and we can no longer hide behind the Jamal Adams injury.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
The Lions and Bears have something in common. They both have young, energetic coaches with current schemes and philosophies.

It's really not within reach. Players have already given up.
The Lions and Bears brought in new blood — both coaching and player levels. Why can’t the Seahawks do that? I don’t want something as radical as what Poles did blowing up the entire roster for $100M cap space and draft picks, but the team isn’t powerless to make some coaching changes and player positional upgrades.

renofox

Reaction score
Since 2016, we Bears fans would LOVE to win the North four times with 10-12 wins per year. I understand that Seahawks fans are restless, but the record since 2016 is far from “crap”. If you want to see a crap team, look up the Panthers. They trade away McCaffrey and DJ Moore and their draft picks. That’s a crap team with a crap owner.
And then they trade away the farm for the 1st overall pick to choose... Bryce Young!

There was plenty of hype but ~90% of hardcore fans who played the game knew this guy wouldn't succeed in the NFL.

Sometimes, GMs and HCs can't see the forest for the trees because they're in their little bubble.

Sometimes fans can spot the mistakes their coaches are making while the coaches are completely oblivious.

There is a very good reason that the term argumentum ad verecundiam has been in use for thousands of years.

We all have plenty of evidence that PC's "leadership" is leading the Seahawks nowhere. Just because other fans are willing to settle for mediocrity or less doesn't mean we all must.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Actually, the Panthers scouting staff had CJ Stroud ranked #1, but the owner forced them to draft Young. That’s an example of a crap franchise in action.

Last edited:

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I get it. Some people would support PC no matter what. And others will support him as long as he is at least mediocre. I do not. I want the Seahawks to get back to the Super Bowl and that will NEVER EVER EVER AGAIN happen under Pete Carroll. EVER. And I understand some do not care but I also do not think a rational fan believes he CAN get us back to the Super Bowl so I think some are just Pete fans more than Seahawks fans. I think if we do not have a coach that can get us to the Super Bowl we ARE WASTING YEARS OF TIME!

renofox

Reaction score
Actually, the Panthers scouting staff had CJ Stroud ranked #1, but the owner forced them to draft Young.
I had heard that.

If I was the GM I would have quit that day. No notice.

Working for someone who gives you the responsibility but not the authority is on my no-go list.

Teams with idiotic ownership are usually doomed to bottom-feeder status.

renofox

Reaction score
I get it. Some people would support PC no matter what. And others will support him as long as he is at least mediocre. I do not. I want the Seahawks to get back to the Super Bowl and that will NEVER EVER EVER AGAIN happen under Pete Carroll. EVER. And I understand some do not care but I also do not think a rational fan believes he CAN get us back to the Super Bowl so I think some are just Pete fans more than Seahawks fans. I think if we do not have a coach that can get us to the Super Bowl we ARE WASTING YEARS OF TIME!
I'm 99% right there with you, but I'm trying to force myself to express positivity.

Never Say Never! This 10-year train wreck might come crashing down on PC so hard he has an EPIPHANY! He may have finally figured it out and change his ways and become the best HC of all time! Since he's going to be here for the foreseeable future, I'll just hope and pray that PC becomes his best self!!! 🌈 🌈🦄🦄

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
Go back and watch the game again and count how many times our players missed tackles from good positions. That isn’t coaching that is effort. Individuals need to be held accountable for crappy tackling. There are only a handful of players making good tackles right now and that is basic football 101.
I agree. Too many dudes just trying to bump or grab a guy and expect him to go down. Bobby and Witherspoon were the only ones I saw finishing tackles.

I can't blame Hurtt for scheme, we had guys in the right places. I can't blame him for tackling -- Hurtt didn't miss a single tackle today. I will blame him for us being soft though. The game is not 2-hand touch, yet guys are making contact and then not doing the work to put the runner down.

NoGain

Reaction score
Since 2016, we Bears fans would LOVE to win the North four times with 10-12 wins per year. I understand that Seahawks fans are restless, but the record since 2016 is far from “crap”. If you want to see a crap team, look up the Panthers. They trade away McCaffrey and DJ Moore and their draft picks. That’s a crap team with a crap owner.
Except for the Bears' team of the 80's, that franchise should not be used as a measuring stick for success.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Except for the Bears' team of the 80's, that franchise should not be used as a measuring stick for success.
I don’t know any Bears fan who would disagree. McCaskey has finally decided to step back and let football people manage the football side of the franchise. Things are changing.

NoGain

Reaction score
I don’t know any Bears fan who would disagree. McCaskey has finally decided to step back and let football people manage the football side of the franchise. Things are changing.
It kinda sucks that NFL ownership is made up of predominately rich men who really aren't accountable to anyone. It's too bad they aren't run like corporations who at least have a board that corporate leadership has to be accountable to.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I certainly hope that Hurtt is not the only one fired. Waldron is just as bad and needs to be shown the door too.

Last edited:

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
It kinda sucks that NFL ownership is made up of predominately rich men who really aren't accountable to anyone. It's too bad they aren't run like corporations who at least have a board that corporate leadership has to be accountable to.
In 4 days, Virginia McCaskey will be 101 years old. Rumor is that she will die sometime this century, and the Bears franchise will be sold. I may not live to see it.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
The Lions and Bears brought in new blood — both coaching and player levels. Why can’t the Seahawks do that?

That's what I want the Seahawks to do and i've been waiting and wishing for it. The Hawks can do that, but they won't. Pete babysits the entire thing for Jody. She isn't going to get her hands dirty.

Fade

Reaction score
For the folks who say they changed the scheme...

If you want to get mired in technical minutia, it is mostly true. But really more like window dressing, or fake marketing.

Philosophically, it remains the same. That is why Pete signed off on it in the first place.

Rush 4, play soft zone behind it.

Whether it be cover 2, cover 3, quarters, or quarter-quarter-half.

Soft zone is what is repeatedly run.

They are built to play a different way.

Stacked fronts, and bring pressure from everywhere with their unique talents they have in the secondary, who also are at their best in man defense. 5 of 6 Woolen INTs last year came in man coverage. He is not a soft zone corner. Neither is Witherspoon.

Stop defending this horrible defensive head coach, and his crony coaching staff for the love of God.

They are dysfunctional, underachieving, taking plays off, and disinterested with the playoffs on the line. Tells you all you need to know.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Upgrade the safeties and let Woolen and Spoon play press coverage on the corners. Of course, as you say, that requires a new DC.