I’m happy about the win but ....Things I find strange

semiahmoo

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":tpf9ktco said:
1) it’s ok for Doug to yell at people the way he did on the sidelines

2) fans are celebrating 3.2ypc on 32 carries. That’s not good.

3) we allow Earl to act the way he acted this week. Unless you trade the guy this week that’s not great.

4) with the way NFL offenses are going with more spread/college offense (and seemingly the perfect QB to run it) we continue to move backwards in time.

I get people are happy with the win but it doesn’t bode well for long term success.

"Long term success" is not in the cards this season or w/this crew.

It'll most likely be a .500 or so season - a little better or worse.

For the 3rd season in a row we are not legit playoff contenders.

Major reset coming.

All that said, it was a pretty fun win and we need to take those when we can these days.

StoneCold

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":qj7q0umz said:

3) we allow Earl to act the way he acted this week. Unless you trade the guy this week that’s not great.

4) with the way NFL offenses are going with more spread/college offense (and seemingly the perfect QB to run it) we continue to move backwards in time.

I get people are happy with the win but it doesn’t bode well for long term success.

I missed the Doug thing, what was that about?

Celebrating a commitment to and a fair execution of the running game. Carson was on the edge of breaking several of those runs that would have improved the YPC. I can remember Lynch getting only 70 yards in some games we won.

As long as Thomas comes out to play on Sunday he can do whatever he wants other days.

With the way the D is playing we can win a lot of games pounding the rock and allowing Russ to get passes out quickly.

What I found most concerning were the number of 3 and outs in the 4th quarter. Was just giving Dallas opps to come back. D held strong.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Things I found strange? Only one. How does this team get called for too many players on the field? Not once but twice! Can't they assign this duty to a lesser peon; but someone who's really good and fast at counting to 11? How difficult can that be?

Or maybe Paul Allen can ask one of his minions to write a program for the Microsoft Surface that goes 'meep morp' whenever a 12th player is tempted to run onto the field.

Steve2222

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":34fh1bym said:

1.) couldn’t be a bigger non story
2.) we had a HB fun for over 100 yards. 9/10 that means we win. Who cares?
3.) he averages a pick a game and plays like the best safety in the league, again, who cares?
4.) Yes, I agree. Shotty is a boring and terrible play caller.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
StoneCold":3ar2no45 said:
ImTheScientist":3ar2no45 said:

What I found most concerning were the number of 3 and outs in the 4th quarter. Was just giving Dallas opps to come back. D held strong.

There were two.

StoneCold

Reaction score
bmorepunk":1r5ck17o said:
StoneCold":1r5ck17o said:
ImTheScientist":1r5ck17o said:

There were two.

You are correct about that. Seemed like more. Still would like to have seen them take advantage late in the game and put it away.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I always find it passing odd that folks always find something to grumble about when the team wins and then melt down when they lose.

1. The O wasn't working very effectively up until DB's sideline rant. Once the team focused back on the run and play action the ball moved. Baldwin's sideline rant was one that was seemingly motivational.

2. The YBC assessment of the running game is a dubious way of looking at things when it is concerned. What was tremendous about Carson's play was that he ran hard, used up the clock, and was effective in forcing Dallas to honour the play action. To me I was happy to see the team's commitment to run the darn ball. The O scored a rushing TD too which hadn't happened in almost a year. The running game tilted the TOP in favour of the Hawks by approximately 4 minutes. this to me was a huge positive.

3. The ET3 situation is going to have to play itself out. He is an exceptional player but the team may have to deal with his situation one way or another before long. He showed us all this week, last week, and the week before that he is a special talent so be it a new deal, a trade, or some compromise the dam needs to break on this situation.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I would say some of his last 6 runs changed that average, but we had 3rd and either 1 to 6 yards most of the time with no 3rd and 15s and 20s like we've had by passing all the time. We converted much more manageable 3rd downs at a much higher rate than we've had in a while, particularly in the 1st half.

Keeps defense honest
Manageable 3rd downs
Rolls clock/controls ball
Wears down the defense and beats them up.
Etc.
Etc.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Use success rate instead of YPC then. It wasn't great, though Carson had some very good runs. Pete ball worked in this game because the defense was fantastic. That was the main reason we won.

The cowboys score on a couple of possessions there and we would have abandoned the run in a hurry, Pete has shown to be more than willing to do that.

I don't think this will work against the Chiefs, Chargers, Vikes (maybe), Packers, Rams, or Panthers tbh. Those QBs are going to put up way more than 13 points and we are gonna have to throw.

I'm worried about the receivers ability to separate and the scheme still.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
adeltaY":3sm9w1vr said:
Use success rate instead of YPC then. It wasn't great, though Carson had some very good runs. Pete ball worked in this game because the defense was fantastic. That was the main reason we won.

The cowboys score on a couple of possessions there and we would have abandoned the run in a hurry, Pete has shown to be more than willing to do that.

I don't think this will work against the Chiefs, Chargers, Vikes (maybe), Packers, Rams, or Panthers tbh. Those QBs are going to put up way more than 13 points and we are gonna have to throw.

I'm worried about the receivers ability to separate and the scheme still.
Only if we don't control the ball and keep putting the ball in their QBs hands.

Not unlike the Lions yesterday. When you start getting and panicked and don't play your game, that's when things fall apart.

adeltaY

Reaction score
The Lions won because they shut down the Pats passing attack. Kind of like how we won because we limited Prescott to fewer YPA than Elliot's YPC, which is crazy.

Pats have no good receivers besides Gronk. The lions doubled him aggressively and Brady had nowhere to go. You have to play good defense to win like this and I don't have the confidence in this D against a good QB YET. Maybe they prove me wrong.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Dude did you even watch the game? Carson was amazing. Any analytical fan of the game knows stats never tell the whole story.

I hate how Earl is behaving. But he’s behaving as cold and as ruthless as NFL fans, Owners, and GMs are to players for years. So I really don’t see the point of complaining. Stop holding these owners and Gms to a lower standard. Earl’s main flaw...honestly, is that he doesn’t have a filter with how he speaks

TwistedHusky":3dkq84xl said:
Doug has arguably done as much for this franchise as Wilson.

Almost all the great scramble plays where Russell flings it up had Baldwin on the end of it, making amazing catches. Some of those balls were near uncatchable and somehow he roped them in (like the toe tap catch on the sidelines in Carolina a few years back, as a for instance).

Doug is our biggest threat in the RZ and most reliable.

I don't care if he is punching coaches in the face as long as he scores TDs. Frankly, his opinion matters more than the OC since he has actually produced.

And it could be argued that the offense was shifted back on track by his tirade.

Doug gets to do whatever he wants, he has earned it. The guys he yelled at? Not even close. Until they do, they need to shut up, take it, listen and then do whatever he says.

I love Doug. He’s amazing, but let’s not get carried away.

The Seahawks can win with Doug missing a few games. If Wilson were to miss some games, we’d consider the season over. As the Browns have proven with Mayfield, having a QB is literally the difference between being bottom of the league and being at least mid-tier. A quarterback changes the entire outcome of games. If Russell was on the Cowboys with Zeke and that defense, they’re probably in the playoff discussion

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
You would think people would be happy with our 1st win since last Christmas Eve, our first game in a year that we trusted in our commitment to the run, another great defensive effort and an all around vintage Hawk victory...but nope we have a few fans griping about YPC because they're butthurt over their boy Penny being benched and feel that Doug being Doug is somehow a major crisis.

Hawk fans never cease to amaze sometimes.

toffee

Reaction score
adeltaY":1wjtu8tn said:
The Lions won because they shut down the Pats passing attack. Kind of like how we won because we limited Prescott to fewer YPA than Elliot's YPC, which is crazy.

Pats have no good receivers besides Gronk. The lions doubled him aggressively and Brady had nowhere to go. You have to play good defense to win like this and I don't have the confidence in this D against a good QB YET. Maybe they prove me wrong.

We will! But need another 5-6 games to get there ... without major injury of course. We are thin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toffee

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":3oiohcj6 said:
You would think people would be happy with our 1st win since last Christmas Eve, our first game in a year that we trusted in our commitment to the run, another great defensive effort and an all around vintage Hawk victory...but nope we have a few fans griping about YPC because they're butthurt over their boy Penny being benched and feel that Doug being Doug is somehow a major crisis.

there are reason to talk about ypc, 32 carries kills your RB, his productivity will drop after a few games like this. 32carries to gain 100yards will cost games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

semiahmoo

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":1e2hdcwz said:

Some Hawk fans just know more, demand more, and can quickly figure out that less is not more.

Other fans are content to merely watch a game.

To each their own...

justafan

Reaction score
Im in the minority I guess. Im not going to dwell on the average because we won and thats all that matters. But a lot of stuff has to go right to get to 30 carries at 3.2 ypc and its not sustainable IMO. I think you need to be above 4. I love the commitment to the run and I am sure it will get better but the next loss people will change there tune about 3.2 and 30 carries. Fans will go back to demanding for coaches heads and howling about the run run pass offense.

As for Thomas, I am ready for all the old guard defensive players gone. KJ,Wagner and Thomas are my 3 favorite players from the great D but I question their leadership during the drama and letting things go down like they did. Someone needed to squash that whole thing before it got to where it did. We are better now with them,but I think its time to bite the bullet and make room for the next leaders to emerge.

Smellyman

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":9u7t2ves said:

Man agreed with all, except perhaps Doug.

1) Team needs a little fire and his angry furnace is always burning.

2) Run game is still pathetic, need RW to become part of it.

3) Earl is no Rocket Surgeon

4) we have a Ferrari and treat him like a Yugo