I’m happy about the win but ....Things I find strange

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Palmegranite":22v6pasx said:
Things I found strange? Only one. How does this team get called for too many players on the field? Not once but twice! Can't they assign this duty to a lesser peon; but someone who's really good and fast at counting to 11? How difficult can that be?

Or maybe Paul Allen can ask one of his minions to write a program for the Microsoft Surface that goes 'meep morp' whenever a 12th player is tempted to run onto the field.
:mrgreen: I couldn't agree more, the constant stupid penalties by this team are mind boggling. And some of them are directly tied to the guys on the sidelines.
How in the heck do we have 12 guys in the huddle after a timeout??? Why is it so hard to get playcalls in before the play clock is winding down?

Yxes1122

Reaction score
The Lions beat Brady by keeping him off the field. I don’t care if I have to watch Carson grind out 3 yards a carry, it beats watching Russell play out of rhythm like the last few weeks and go 3 and out for 3 qtrs.. Keep in mind the line was down two starters and Sea still got 100 yards rushing against a top 5 D. And the guy calling the plays was intimately familiar with our offense.

A wins a win. Enjoy it.

This team still has problems. This team will still be the underdog in a bunch of games.

But we scored more than 20 points, we got some turnovers and we avoided 0-3. I don’t know what more could’ve been expected given the roster and the previous weeks performance.

We’re not suddenly going to turn into the Rams or Chiefs.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":35dg00x7 said:
1) it’s ok for Doug to yell at people the way he did on the sidelines

2) fans are celebrating 3.2ypc on 32 carries. That’s not good.

3) we allow Earl to act the way he acted this week. Unless you trade the guy this week that’s not great.

4) with the way NFL offenses are going with more spread/college offense (and seemingly the perfect QB to run it) we continue to move backwards in time.

I get people are happy with the win but it doesn’t bode well for long term success.
Wait, what?, we had a Run Game????!!!.......Hmmm, maybe that contributed to the win.
Do a little research ITS, and look up the last time that the Seahawks had a RB rack up 100+ yards in a game...That's why all the jubilation on a 3.2ypc running attack.........Besides, it's all got to start somewheres, eh. :0190l:

sc85sis

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":16nnwref said:
""If we don't heavily fine Earl for missing practice, I'll agree with you.""

IIRC, Beastmode used to miss a lot of practices and even some games because "he didn't feel right". This was allowed by PC likely due to the perceived superstar status of Lynch. IIRC, I don't recall Lynch ever being fined for missing any practices or games. Obviously, there is no superstar exception for ET from PC or from some fans. How come?

:smilingalien:
Because it was Pete’s choice to rest Marshawn. Marshawn didn’t just skip participating and declare he was going to sit out if he had even a hint of anything.

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":1ulx1xtv said:
A couple other things allowed the Run-Game to work:

1. Fewer penalties that backed us up
2. Fewer sacks
3. Not too many carries for a loss of yards
4. Better position on 3rd down (3rd and short[er]) as the game wore on

This game was much cleaner in these regards.

I’d argue those 4 things were a result of committing to the run and not the other way around.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not sure about anyone else, but to me, the pass rush was the most surprising thing in that game. Especially against that O Line. They were pressuring him all day long, and had good energy.

StoneCold

Reaction score
HAWKAMANIA":1kj8ozbu said:
Ad Hawk":1kj8ozbu said:
A couple other things allowed the Run-Game to work:

1. Fewer penalties that backed us up
2. Fewer sacks
3. Not too many carries for a loss of yards
4. Better position on 3rd down (3rd and short[er]) as the game wore on

This game was much cleaner in these regards.

I’d argue those 4 things were a result of committing to the run and not the other way around.

There's definitely merit to what you say as we generally have fewer false starts and holding penalties when running the ball, but avoiding those 1st or second and 15 or 20 allows you to run more.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/NFLMatchup/status/1044674563743928320[/tweet]

Looks like if you want to direct blame at Seattle's run game, you should be looking at the O-line, not the RB.

And that stat is WITH Fluker in the lineup for one game. I don't want to know how bad it was after just Week 2.

toffee

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":29z0zsri said:

Looks like if you want to direct blame at Seattle's run game, you should be looking at the O-line, not the RB.

And that stat is WITH Fluker in the lineup for one game. I don't want to know how bad it was after just Week 2.

that made me appreciate Carson more, he was getting 0.9 yards per carry before 1st contact. he fought for the other 2.3yards after contact to make it 3.2 yards per carry.

adeltaY

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":6kyno3jt said:
Not sure about anyone else, but to me, the pass rush was the most surprising thing in that game. Especially against that O Line. They were pressuring him all day long, and had good energy.

Key to the game. Forced Dak to miss throws and throw inaccurate balls that were tipped for picks.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
toffee":1gcwcccf said:
MontanaHawk05":1gcwcccf said:

that made me appreciate Carson more, he was getting 0.9 yards per carry before 1st contact. he fought for the other 2.3yards after contact to make it 3.2 yards per carry.

Exactly! That stat graph aligns with the eye test as well with Carson persistently fighting for every yard. Our OL clearly needs to step up their run blocking-they're getting overmatched.

I'm also curious how all the closet Carson haters will attempt to rationalize this in their YPC agenda.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
toffee":2gtfcobx said:
MontanaHawk05":2gtfcobx said:

This is outstanding in one way and terrible in another.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":v5kuq6mz said:
toffee":v5kuq6mz said:
MontanaHawk05":v5kuq6mz said:

Exactly! That stat graph aligns with the eye test as well with Carson persistently fighting for every yard. Our OL clearly needs to step up their run blocking-they're getting overmatched.

I'm also curious how all the closet Carson haters will attempt to rationalize this in their YPC agenda.

Methinks they are in their moms basements on their Commodore 64s plotting their attack...... :stirthepot:

semiahmoo

Reaction score
justafan":2snqbmte said:
Im in the minority I guess. Im not going to dwell on the average because we won and thats all that matters. But a lot of stuff has to go right to get to 30 carries at 3.2 ypc and its not sustainable IMO. I think you need to be above 4. I love the commitment to the run and I am sure it will get better but the next loss people will change there tune about 3.2 and 30 carries. Fans will go back to demanding for coaches heads and howling about the run run pass offense.

As for Thomas, I am ready for all the old guard defensive players gone. KJ,Wagner and Thomas are my 3 favorite players from the great D but I question their leadership during the drama and letting things go down like they did. Someone needed to squash that whole thing before it got to where it did. We are better now with them,but I think its time to bite the bullet and make room for the next leaders to emerge.

Ssshhh...there was never any sideline/locker room/animosity issues with this team. ;)

Don't bring it up. Never ever bring it up. :141847_bnono:

You're welcome.

Now carry on...

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
Jebus. Its simple.
Run/pass = 50/50 plus or minus ten percent.
Our D does what they do--keep us in the game all the time.
This establishes our identity again.
Get the players to buy in on the way.
SB 2020 is ours.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
HomerJHawk":3kzpnwoh said:
Jebus. Its simple.
Run/pass = 50/50 plus or minus ten percent.
Our D does what they do--keep us in the game all the time.
This establishes our identity again.
Get the players to buy in on the way.
SB 2020 is ours.

Love the optimism regardless how unlikely it might be.

Go Hawks!

olyfan63

Reaction score
toffee":3013pi2s said:
West TX Hawk":3013pi2s said:
...nope we have a few fans griping about YPC because they're butthurt over their boy Penny being benched...
Hawk fans never cease to amaze sometimes.

there are reason to talk about ypc, 32 carries kills your RB, his productivity will drop after a few games like this. 32carries to gain 100yards will cost games.

Excellent point. I see that Carson is listed as "Questionable" on the injury report this week. Hip issue I think it said.
https://www.seahawks.com/team/injury-report/
Apparently he's not hip enough. I heard Nate Burleson is being brought in as a consultant to help Carson with this.
And yes, 32 carries a game will lead to a chronically banged up RB. We better have healthy depth.

toffee

Reaction score
olyfan63":1rxrllfe said:
toffee":1rxrllfe said:
West TX Hawk":1rxrllfe said:
...nope we have a few fans griping about YPC because they're butthurt over their boy Penny being benched...
Hawk fans never cease to amaze sometimes.

there are reason to talk about ypc, 32 carries kills your RB, his productivity will drop after a few games like this. 32carries to gain 100yards will cost games.

Excellent point. I see that Carson is listed as "Questionable" on the injury report this week. Hip issue I think it said.
https://www.seahawks.com/team/injury-report/
Apparently he's not hip enough. I heard Nate Burleson is being brought in as a consultant to help Carson with this.
And yes, 32 carries a game will lead to a chronically banged up RB. We better have healthy depth.

I appreciate why Carson was allowed to carry 32 times, at least for once, coaches got to reward Carson's hard running with a well deserved 100 yards game. I was very disappointed that our OL didn't dominate more in 4th quarter, normally the defense weaken with all the OL running at them. Carson had 80 yards or so after 20 carries, thought he was going to burst free couple of times after that .... didn't quite happen.

Our OL still got more work to do.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Poor OL performance isn’t exactly something new around here. More and more signs point to it being time to thank Pete and move on. I have no idea who would replace him though. Maybe Belichick is ready for a new challenge?