I have a question about the condition of the field

The Radish

Reaction score
I noticed in the sunday night game the field was a real mess between the hashmarks. I remember years ago when some of the teams had fields late in the season that were virtually unplayable.

We do our best on a field that is consistent so I'm thinking our guys will be affected if they haven't done anything with the field this week. I'm pretty sure it could be a mudbog between the hashmarks.

:les:

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I made a comment about this during the cowpokes game, the field looks loose and like it is intended to have an impact. I pictured something similar to that dream where you're stuck in slow mo, it looks to be designed for over pursuit by unfamiliar defenses, and cutbacks for the well adjusted home team, I'm just putting faith in the coaching staff to identify this and bring the proper cleats.

OP
OP
The Radish

The Radish

Reaction score
I believe it was the Eagles that were forced to redo a bunch of their field prior to a monday night game.

I think there is some rule covering it but what are the limits I wonder?

youngchew

Reaction score
The Redskins have one of the worst fields in the NFL. Fans have been talking about a new hybrid turf for a while now.

Seeing as how both the hawks and the skins are both ground and pound teams first, let's hope it'll be cold enough on Sunday to where the field is frozen solid.

djb28

Reaction score
That Skins have played in a mud Hole since I was a child and before. If they havent done anything about it then..

III

Reaction score
The Radish":rpnqmusx said:
I noticed in the sunday night game the field was a real mess between the hashmarks. I remember years ago when some of the teams had fields late in the season that were virtually unplayable.

We do our best on a field that is consistent so I'm thinking our guys will be affected if they haven't done anything with the field this week. I'm pretty sure it could be a mudbog between the hashmarks.

FedEx hosts a lot of other games - high school and college. Snyder has been a cheapskate with regards to the field. We all want field turf here.

BTW - that's a nice pair of avatars you're sporting there, Radish. :th2thumbs: Nice and patriotic of you.

III

CityHawk

Reaction score
New forecast for Sunday is Sunny with a high of 50 and still no rain. Field won't be a mudbog but it does generally suck. Of course so does FedEx field in general.

III

Reaction score
NoVAHawk":3fziznat said:
New forecast for Sunday is Sunny with a high of 50 and still no rain. Field won't be a mudbog but it does generally suck. Of course so does FedEx field in general.

We pretty much all hate the stadium here. :pukeface: [envy]We all want something like what you guys have.[/envy]

SirTed

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":19q8a5pq said:
The Radish":19q8a5pq said:

This is something that really bothers me. Shouldn't there be some kind of regulation about playing conditions on grass fields? It's completely unfair to expect visiting teams to come and play in a pile of shit. I remember the Dolphins/Stealers game a few years back that finished 3-0 because the field was just a mudbath. Shouldn't be allowed, IMO.

I Completely agree. I realize it must be difficult to maintain a natural grass field at this point in the year, and this is coming from someone with virtually no knowledge of how to do so - but I hate it. It will be a BIG advantage for the Skins.

SirTed

Reaction score
The Radish":2sa2vdyf said:
I believe it was the Eagles that were forced to redo a bunch of their field prior to a monday night game.

I think there is some rule covering it but what are the limits I wonder?

IIRC, This was a BRAND NEW field turf field, not a grass field. Not that it really makes a difference but I remember big sections of the field not being adhered properly. I wonder what the regs are on a natural field.

Starrman44

Reaction score
I won't cry about there home field advantage. Traditionally football has been played on grass. Some of those old games have the turf completely smashed. It's football. Dealing with the elements, conditions and crowds are part of the game.

I think the baseball/football stadiums are the worst with the dirt infields.

I just hope we go down there and thump them regardless.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
SirTed":38m3usa0 said:
I Completely agree. I realize it must be difficult to maintain a natural grass field at this point in the year, and this is coming from someone with virtually no knowledge of how to do so - but I hate it. It will be a BIG advantage for the Skins.
How so? Are we not a power running team? Will not their own pass rush be slowed due to the field conditions? Does our pass rush not suck anyways? Do we not jam up receivers to throw off timing routes? Are not those fast recievers like Garcon going to be slowed on muddy grass even more?

Will not Marshawn Lynch be harder to bring down when the defender has less solid footing and the Beast is slick with mud?

The only people I can see being disadvantaged are Irvin and Clemons.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Cutbacks are the concern, they play there 8 times a year, we do not. That being said, I agree, it should not matter that much if we're prepared for it because we're the better team.

brutalron

Reaction score
I am not sure it will have a significant effect on the game. Irvin and Clemons pop out as players it would bother the most. However, in this game I feel that a controlled rush will be employed. They cant allow giant lanes for RG3 to scramble through. Most the of Redskins speed is on the outside with Moss and Garcon. Either of them in the slot worry me tremendously more than the field conditions.

But ya, the field was very choppy Sunday night. Did they have rain their earlier in the week?

rdskns4eva

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":23yqck2x said:
The Radish":23yqck2x said:

This is something that really bothers me. Shouldn't there be some kind of regulation about playing conditions on grass fields? It's completely unfair to expect visiting teams to come and play in a pile of shit. I remember the Dolphins/Stealers game a few years back that finished 3-0 because the field was just a mudbath. Shouldn't be allowed, IMO.

I guess thats why they call it home field advantage :D

Listen, the field is playable...this is football, grass fields get messy. It's not like its the old Eagles field from back in the day.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Well Hell, we could be playing in NE where this time of year depending on the weather and who they face, the field is either a swamp/mudbog to slow fast teams down, or a skating rink and they are the only team that stocks caulks.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
They are 5-3 at home, and lost to both top ten teams they faced at home. Not worried about the field. Chicago tried the long grass to slow us down, was a damn jungle there. Didn't work.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Having a slow field is probably better for us. RGIII is sporting a brace; having a sloppy field won't do wonders for his confidence in cutting. If he doesn't cut fast enough, he's going to get destroyed.

A slow field might also help our pass rush. It would make big Red more relevant, and keep guys like Clem and Irvin from getting too far upfield so RGIII can get outside on them. Keeping RGIII in the pocket is probably the way to go at this point. He hasn't been asked to look for more than 2 reads all year in the passing game, and our secondary matches up very well with their WR corps. I'm curious as to how good RGIII's passing skills are with the read option toned down.

Fight 4 Old DC

Reaction score
One thing You can't call Dan Snyder is cheap. He spends with abandon on anything he thinks might help his team. He is def. very old school when it comes to the field. He believes the Redskins personna is that of the three yards and a cloud of dust, smash mouth NFC east, etc. George Allen used to call it Redskins Weather when they played in muddy, rainy conditions. Joe Gibbs who is till his most trusted confidant always loved natural turf. Gibbs never wanted a "bubble" practice field and preferred practicing out side in bad weather.....Shanahan has since asked for one and Danny had it built.
Having said all of that, yes the field does suck.....I don't know if it's an advantage for anyone!