I love Schneider, you love Schneider, BUT...

DeletedAccount

Reaction score
When does he get to share the blame for our O-Line struggles? Personally, I think Carroll actually pulls the strings and I remember him saying (to my dismay) at the end of last year that our O-Line is fine and he doesn't see us making any move there but now I'm terribly afraid that this insanely talented team has been left with a very exposed achilles heal...

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Never? Never sounds right to me.

Besides, you should be complaining about the Browns mismanagement more than the Seahawks.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
It's not like they haven't tried with the OLine, but it hasn't worked out. I also feel like it was a Cable pick.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
How many teams are going to have effective lines when both of their starting tackles are missing though? With limited roster spots you just can't prepare for every contingency.

I would like at least ONE capable backup tackle though.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I think its time they started looking at how much influence and autonomy Tom Cable has with the O line. His guys like Sweezy, Carp and McQuistan are just not good football players. Not NFL quality players.

I have no idea what extent Pete and John just defer to Cable and let him do his thing with personnel and coaching decisions, but that was just awful, and I lay the blame at Cable's feet. Pete and John need to take a hard look at how much control Cable has, and if that is helping the team in any way.

niveky

Reaction score
this wouldn't even really be a conversation if Okung and Geno were not out hurt...I mean it would...but not nearly to the extent that it is. We do need someone to come in and push/win the starting job from Geno. At the very least that would give them quality depth at the Tackle spot. They really should bring in some guards too. I'm hoping they get 2-3 oline during next years draft and also bring in bodies through free agency, especially if there are some good guys out there that would fit this system.

jkitsune

Reaction score
seesurfers":iwgfndk6 said:
When does he get to share the blame for our O-Line struggles? Personally, I think Carroll actually pulls the strings and I remember him saying (to my dismay) at the end of last year that our O-Line is fine and he doesn't see us making any move there but now I'm terribly afraid that this insanely talented team has been left with a very exposed achilles heal...

Our OL struggled to start the year when our starters were in, but all of last year our OL was reasonable. It wasn't great, by any means, but Okung was very good, Unger was stellar, Sweezy was manageable, McQ was OK, and Giacomini was OK.

I'm convinced that the lack of both tackles is REALLY exposing our middling guards, which in turn leaves Unger easily overwhelmed on stunts when his inexperienced/underwhelming sidekicks can't adjust.

I made that up just now, but it makes sense in my head.

VegasSeahawkFan

Reaction score
Schneider does deserve some blame. A 2nd round pick is sitting on the sideline with a snow cap on while our franchise qb is getting obliterated. Sad thing is the two OL playing the worst are two regular starters. This team's window is obviously now, however, as our OL is going to limit that big time. Even with Okung and Breno back our OL is still vulnerable because of guard play. A trade should happen this week!! Our team has enough talent that a 3rd rounder is not that important. Find a starting OL right now for a 3rd round draft pick. No point to invest all this money in Miller, Harvin and Rice but have the worst OL in the league. Obviously Bevell did a disgusting job of creating an effective game plan these last 11 days, but OL has to be addressed.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":v0glenfj said:
His guys like Sweezy, Carp and McQuistan are just not good football players. Not NFL quality players.
Unless you have seen information that I have not, it is complete speculation how our offensive line acquisitions have been driven. Cable has of course had a lot of input, but so have many other scouts and ultimately Schneider has made the decisions. We can of course speculate that all of our O-Line misses have been solely due to Cable, but without hard information that is just random pitchfork bandwagoning.

dusktreader

Reaction score
jkitsune":vk2ruu4q said:
seesurfers":vk2ruu4q said:

Our OL struggled to start the year when our starters were in, but all of last year our OL was reasonable. It wasn't great, by any means, but Okung was very good, Unger was stellar, Sweezy was manageable, McQ was OK, and Giacomini was OK.

I'm convinced that the lack of both tackles is REALLY exposing our middling guards, which in turn leaves Unger easily overwhelmed on stunts when his inexperienced/underwhelming sidekicks can't adjust.

I made that up just now, but it makes sense in my head.

Sounds good to me. I liked Breno and Sweezy on runs to the right side last year.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I'm not defending the OL at all, but we have faced a perfect storm of bad injuries. Of course it would be great to have better depth, but I'm not terribly sure who we could have drafted last year that would considerably change our current predicament.

Does it need to improve? Absolutely. But, I think it's important to look at what we could have realistically done. It's not like we passed on Joeckel or Fisher or Lane Johnson (who have all played poorly). Are we at the point where maybe trading up to get higher end OL talent?

Lastly, I do think it's important to realize that OL play is getting worse and worse, and the availability of high end OL talent is slim. Eventually, RW and Bevell need to settle for short/quick stuff to off-set a vicious pass rush. If we are going to be a 10+ win every year, finding high end OL in the draft is going to be tough. Have to adapt.

It's frustrating to watch RW get beat up.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
How did the OG's look today? They were pretty quiet aside from some Sweezy penalties in the beginning which is usually a good thing.

Winterfell

Reaction score
No team really counts on winning, at least consistently, without two or three of their offensive linemen. Especially their two starting tackles.

Getting a quality first-string tackle is hard enough, much less having a starting quality backup tackle.

The fact that we're still managing to win games is amazing to me. Even if they're ugly, heart attack inducing wins.

purpleworld

Reaction score
No blame for Schneider....if Cable and Pete want other OL, John will get them. I think the coaches are too enamored with the current OL....no way on God's green earth should McQuistan be playing LT....NONE! That is a failure on the coaches to allow such an asinine idea! I think it is time to find OL that can PASS-BLOCK, period...OL should be good enough to run-block by default so, the emphasis needs to be on pass blocking and having that ability! And play calling has to have that in mind also....quicker pass plays, screens, dump-offs to the RB's, 2 TE sets, 3 TE sets....Geeeeez, HAVE A PLAN COACHES, help your QB out!!! :snack:

volsunghawk

Reaction score
seesurfers":1bkr64om said:

Your Browns are having O-line issues, too? Sorry to hear it.

But I don't know what that has to do with Schneider and Carroll.

Latest posts