That loss has made me optimistic and I will not be deterred.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Until the second half, I truly thought that Pete Carroll had lost the team.

Moreover, I thought Russell Wilson was kinda done for the season. That he was an elite QB having a mediocre stretch of games - https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/al ... uesgetting greedy and ignoring checkdowns, as he has periodically throughout his career[/url] - while his receivers drop stuff and his line struggles to block a gust of wind.

I also thought the defense had had it. Too many injuries to cornerstone players, too many wasted spots on the defensive line, and did I mention injuries?

Then Wilson got a no-call while being late hit. And he got PISSED.

It was a different game after that. Coinciding with the offense quickly switching back to pass concepts that were workable with Wilson's love of rhythm and the gimpified O-line's love of being turnstiles, Seattle started getting stuff done. Guys started making catches count again. Lockett silenced the doubts that he's back. We remembered Hollister. Travis Homer proved himself a NICE little weapon in the passing game, sticky-handed and FAST. And, yes, of course, the Beast was Beasting when he got the chance.

The defense still struggled despite some tremendous individual efforts. I HATE seeing another good year from K.J. Wright go to waste (almost). Marquise Blair continued to suggest some hidden Kam in him, if he can ever become schematically sound. Shaquill still had a game-changing play or two in him when it mattered. Clowney? Well, they limited his snaps. That and Al Woods' suspension are going to be tough to overcome. He needs to be full-go next week.

It reminded me of where Pete's strengths lie.

If you're only now catching up to the fact that Pete's not good at clock management, you're eight years behind. We've all known this. It's not news. And frankly, he needs to get better. Seattle's talent quotient is not yet back up to the point where we can overcome that stuff.

Instead, Pete's strengths are player acquisition and inspiration, and it goes for a lot. Pete's ability to keep the team believing in themselves for sixty minutes - and his results, in the form of one-score comeback wins not just this season but in many past - gives him credibility. Players on many NFL teams quit in these situations. Duane Brown and Jadaveon Clowney, on the other hand, engineer their free-agent situations just to come here. They believe in the organization and its coach. I'll take that over the word of a bunch of forum randos and analytics smuglords who have never set foot on the field.

During the second half, Pete's depleted team outscored the peaking, fully healthy 49ers and came less than a yard from winning. Pete deserves blame for the loss. He also deserves credit for even being in that position in the first place. That dual-edged sword will always confound us. We'll never get a clear read on the guy's legacy.

But it reminded us all why it's never wise to count us out. And we're getting healthier next week.

John63

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2gg5jc74 said:

Moreover, I thought Russell Wilson was kinda done for the season. That he was an elite QB having a mediocre stretch of games - https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/al ... uesgetting greedy and ignoring checkdowns, as he has periodically throughout his career[/url] - while his receivers drop stuff and his line struggles to block a gust of wind.

I also thought the defense had had it. Too many injuries to cornerstone players, too many wasted spots on the defensive line, and did I mention injuries?

It was a different game after that. Coinciding with the offense quickly switching back to pass concepts that were workable with Wilson's love of rhythm and the gimpified O-line's love of being turnstiles, Seattle started getting stuff done. Guys started making catches count again. Lockett silenced the doubts that he's back. We remembered Hollister. Travis Homer proved himself a NICE little weapon in the passing game, sticky-handed and FAST. And, yes, of course, the Beast was Beasting when he got the chance.

The defense still struggled despite some tremendous individual efforts. I HATE seeing another good year from K.J. Wright go to waste (almost). Marquise Blair continued to suggest some hidden Kam in him, if he can ever become schematically sound. Shaquill still had a game-changing play or two in him when it mattered. Clowney? Well, they limited his snaps. That and Al Woods' suspension are going to be tough to overcome. He needs to be full-go next week.

If you're only now catching up to the fact that Pete's not good at clock management, you're eight years behind. We've all known this. It's not news. And frankly, he needs to get better. Seattle's talent quotient is not yet back up to the point where we can overcome that stuff.

Instead, Pete's strengths are player acquisition and inspiration, and it goes for a lot. Pete's ability to keep the team believing in themselves for sixty minutes - and his results, in the form of one-score comeback wins not just this season but in many past - gives him credibility. Players on many NFL teams quit in these situations. Duane Brown and Jadaveon Clowney, on the other hand, engineer their free-agent situations just to come here. They believe in the organization and its coach. I'll take that over the word of a bunch of forum randos and analytics smuglords who have never set foot on the field.

During the second half, Pete's depleted team outscored the peaking, fully healthy 49ers and came less than a yard from winning. Pete deserves blame for the loss. He also deserves credit for even being in that position in the first place. That dual-edged sword will always confound us. We'll never get a clear read on the guy's legacy.

But it reminded us all why it's never wise to count us out. And we're getting healthier next week.

Kind of agree, however here is the thing there is no reason to have it hinges on one play. Why not start with the offensive scheme that never seems to fail, and stay with it the whole game. I don't believe Wilson was down-and-out, I think he is tired of the same old, when he and the entire team knows what works. IF we do this in the playoffs we are one and done. If we start out with the tempo and movement right away we will win going away.

This is my biggest issue with PC he does not have that killer defense or killer run blocking oline, but he does have an ELITE QB who when given the chance, time, system can and has led us to victory, so adapt and do it. stop wasting halves of football. I know he hates the short pass but you know what it serves a purpose it helps open up the run game, and the longer passes most importantly it keeps Wilson upright.

Movement/motion, tempo, layered routes, misdirection running that is the key. Every scoring drive we had had several if not all of these elements. And above all keep your foot on the gas and stop wasting halves of football

We do this we destroy, we don't we are hoping for more Wilson off script magic.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I am absolutely more optimistic. They were inches from knocking off a team that many assumed they would get smoked by. The time management stuff and getting that close made me go from angry to just really bummed they couldn't finish it off. Niners are very fortunate to win that game. Funny how when they barely win games, nobody bats an eye. Hawks barely win and that's all you hear about. It happens, but the Hawks had no business losing that game.

Jville

Reaction score
It's all about fan preferences.

For me, there is nothing better than an outcome decided in the closing snaps of a game. It's the final minutes of a game that are most memorable.

2019 has been a very special year.

Looking forward to the game in Philly.

Boycie

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":ccpabrir said:

Is it weird that I got aroused by this post?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
well said Jville. It has been a fun year. Surprised the heart has held out. But so many great close wins. Unfortunately, they just came up short on Sunday.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
The game Sunday definitely made me more optimistic than anything else. Yes, it's frustrating to lose like that, what with the delay of game and questionable no-call on what appears to be DPI, but taking the 9ers down to the wire and being within inches of winning the game gave me a lot of hope for this playoff run and looking forward to the next couple years. Some guys stepped up when we needed them -- Fant, Homer, Lockett, Hollister, Barton after he settled down.

We'll probably only go as far as Russ will take us, but what PC/JS have done with this roster is a borderline miracle.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And I just never bought in to the whole "it will take a miracle to beat the Niners"
Wrong, they basically give that game away at the end. Props to Santa Clara, they are one hell of a football team.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Ace not at all I did too. Montana with some solid work.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
I'm still on board. I think this team is gonna be sneaky in these playoffs. I'm not done by a long shot. We're a lapse in attention to the clock from being an At Home playoff team. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see us in the NFCCG. Wish it was here though. Beast Mode: Unfinished Business.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1cclc8eh said:

WOW, Great writeup.
I was about ready to call the game a complete disaster when the clock ran out in the first half, I thought that they were just too injury ridden to even put up a fight, and thought that the Seahawks were going to get spanked hard, BUT, I don't know how anyone could not be encouraged with the all beat to hell Seahawks, that went up-beat on the 9rs in the 2nd half, and damn near beat a much healthier team overall.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":b3heilmq said:
MontanaHawk05":b3heilmq said:

Is it weird that I got aroused by this post?
It's called "football wood" and it's OK man. Happens to me every time I watch the 2013 Hawks highlight blu-ray or the tip or XLVIII or.......

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
BlueThunder":1uopkxqr said:
Wish it was here though. Beast Mode: Unfinished Business.

I do agree with this. That's what made the loss agonizing. A home playoff campaign with the Beast back in form would have been utterly epic.

xray

Reaction score
2010 ...GB made post as a wild card...got to and won the SB....so anything is possible .

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
This year's Seahawks have put together a season that it the most entertaining, the most exciting, and the most frustrating I have ever witnessed. Then they took what they had done all season and rolled it all up into the script for one helluva last game of the regular season.
I had a coach who stressed we should "enjoy the ride". This year has already been one heck of a ride, and there's more to come.
Can't really expect more than that.
Pass the gravy, please...

chris98251

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2tjkr1b4 said:

I kinda think this is the key, I have seen this before, he changes, he has the 100 yard stare, the Coaches and other players step up and don't give him any shit and pretty much let him take over, the defense rally's as well since he in their part of the bench pushing them on also.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
With regard to time management, I felt we did well in that area other than the delay of game penalty. I felt the 49ers actually blew it by not calling a timeout while we were letting the clock run deep in their territory, because if you give Wilson 4 shots at the end zone, normally you are going to end up needing to score to win the game. The 49ers didn't leave themselves enough time. Unfortunately for us, Russ couldn't get it done with his receivers being mugged.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Great write up. If you have more like this in you I'd love to sticky your posts and promote on our Social Media. Fade is done with his Ruminations for the year and your style is on my wavelength.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
That second half offense was sexy. We were carving them up. We literally couldn’t be stopped on each drive after the 1st half. I may be overreacting but it was the best I’d seen of the offense all season and the literal definition of getting something great out of a loss.

Latest posts