I Refuse To Believe This Is Russell's Last Dance in SEA

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Nope.

Won't do it. I have to believe the Powers That Be know damn well that the highest, most treasured commodity in the NFL is not just a Franchise QB but a Hall of Fame Caliber Franchise QB which Russell is.

Drop JS? Okay. Petey? Sure. There would be growing pains of course but you keep the most cherished asset you have and let the new coaching staff and GM build around him.

Sure you can do the opposite and offload the greatest player this franchise has ever had in its existence for a handful of draft picks but we should all be experts by now in realizing draft picks are little more than crap shoots.

Then what?

Oh let me tell you then what. It's the 1990's all over again. Armageddon. 5-10 seasons on the reg!

I am telling each and every one of you I could care less where you stand on the debate. It is my professional drunk ass 12 opinion that we would regret severely life without Russell Wilson when he likely has another 7-10 years of elite QB play left in him.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Aros":2y7a1a2q said:
Nope.

Won't do it. I have to believe the Powers That Be know damn well that the highest, most treasured commodity in the NFL is not just a Franchise QB but a Hall of Fame Caliber Franchise QB which Russell is.
<snip>
I am telling each and every one of you I could care less where you stand on the debate. It is my professional drunk ass 12 opinion that we would regret severely life without Russell Wilson when he likely has another 7-10 years of elite QB play left in him.

This just in... John Schneider announced Sunday evening that the team is trading Russell Wilson to the Baltimore Ravens for Trent Dilfer and the 2000 Ravens defense... Super Bowl, baby!!

OK, kidding aside, sophomore season 2013 Russell was a better QB than 2000 SB Champ Dilfer, but both had the supporting cast of an elite defense and a strong run game. Both won Lombardis.

To me the wildcard is, Russell has to improve his game to compensate for small-but-important losses of quickness, speed, elusiveness. Get the ball out faster, on time. Take fewer hits. Can he, will he? Unknown.

Why do people feel so sure Russell Wilson's age 34-40 years will be better than Dave Krieg's age 34-40 years after leaving the Seahawks? Mid-late 30's QBs are rather uneven in their performances. How good was Brett Favre from age 35-40? He had one really good year. How about Steve Young? Michael Vick? NFL QB is a violent position, and concussions caused Young to retire. Tom Brady is a radical exception to normal NFL QB longevity trends. Russell's mid-late 30's performance *could* decline markedly; the odds are against Russell staying healthy and productive. He's taken a lot of sacks, a lot of hits.

Do I want Russell gone? No. I want the Hawks to improve as a football team, even if that means parting company with Russell if the offer is too good to refuse.

NJlargent

Reaction score
I hope that whoever has the authority to make these decisions reads Aros post.

Watching yesterday and thinking about the potential of Wilson with a new staff gave reason for optimism. I just pray it doesn’t end up being the opposite and we lose Wilson and keep the staff. Then back to the 90s.

justafan

Reaction score
He is here till he is gone and I will enjoy it while it last.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Todd for the love of god please sober up! :irishdrinkers: :lol:

Hawker55

Reaction score
Agree 100%. Wanting this man gone is insanity... period. You don't trade away a qb who is listed top 3 in history for td passes in his first 10 years. And how many other records did he break or is in the top 5 historically? We better pray the powers that be make that man happy here in seattle.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
If Pete goes and Russ doesn't, it'll only inflate Russ' head. More "let Russ cook." More lectures toward whatever player is overheard telling R that "you f suck." He simply won't respect coach's authority if he has authoritah to pick him in the first place.

You might as well keep Pete in this situation.

justafan

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2x03dd5o said:
If Pete goes and Russ doesn't, it'll only inflate Russ' head. More "let Russ cook." More lectures toward whatever player is overheard telling R that "you f suck." He simply won't respect coach's authority if he has authoritah to pick him in the first place.

You might as well keep Pete in this situation.

No need for rumors or stuff made up. Why dont we stick to facts as best that we can.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I believe he will be back too. It’s just not a simple trade him to another team type of scenario. He is under contract for THE NEXT TWO YEARS. After the next two years he is then under a potential franchise tag. Essentially the team has control for the next 4 years. Franchise QBs do not grow on trees. They are not easy to replace. It can literally take decades to find one. It took the Seahawks 37 years as a franchise before they were able to find one of their own to nurture and grow. Like Aros said in the OP, we as Seahawks fans should know that draft picks are not sure things. If and it’s a big if, they are able to get 2 or 3 #1s for our franchise QB, those picks could easily turn into LJ Collier, Germain Ifedi, or Malik McDowell type picks. Or if you’d like, I can provide lots of QB busts that were high round picks. I’m just not ready to go down the Kelly Stauffer, Dan McGwire, Rick Mirer road. Especially when we already have a bona fide franchise QB under team control for the next four years.

sutz

Reaction score
IndyHawk":28uxi5ss said:
Todd for the love of god please sober up! :irishdrinkers: :lol:
Drunk Todd is smarter than a lot of the yahoos on this site. :mrgreen:

Aircrew

Reaction score
Wilson is gone and it is all his doing. Russ started the divorce last offseason, he's carefully chosen his words since then and all the while positioned himself to be traded to an immediate contender while looking like the good guy. I think if it were up to the team, they'd keep Russell because of all the reasons you listed, Aros. But, Wilson has been engineering this breakup for at least a year now and he's left Management with only one option. In my opinion, good riddance. Russell has become a primadonna and has always been a weak leader. I'd be willing to bet the team is dreading losing his on the field production, but can't wait to rid themselves of a selfish player. It's more than X's and O's when it comes to a lockerroom.
Trade Russell to preferrably an AFC team (Broncos) for as much as you can possibly get. Trade for Huntley or draft a QB. Hopefully the Hawks don't go into QB pergatory but we'll just have to wait and see. After all, it's just a game.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Go back and look at teams that trade their stars and see how they do.

It rarely works out well.

Going to be even worse if you have a FO with a history of borking good draft picks and making boneheaded coaching decisions.

When we trade Wilson, we will be admitting that we don't mind being worse than the Dolphins and are happy to become what the Browns were not that long ago.

I get it. Wilson is almost certainly a construct. His brand building is tiresome. And if the separation was in the preparation, AS HE TOLD US ALL, then all the plates he has in the air - likely are impacting his success as a QB. That was clear the moment it started.

But he has also been the key reason we were one of the best teams in the regular season for half a decade.

And it was also clear that his FO/coach was saddling him with simplistic game plans, poor fit tactics, bad roster decisions, and a number of other issues that made expecting much more unlikely.

This feels like it will end just fine for Wilson. Probably a Charles Barkley type of situation where he gets traded and that team becomes a regular contender while the team that traded him languishes for years.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Aircrew":2k2qzrbp said:
Wilson is gone and it is all his doing. Russ started the divorce last offseason, he's carefully chosen his words since then and all the while positioned himself to be traded to an immediate contender while looking like the good guy. I think if it were up to the team, they'd keep Russell because of all the reasons you listed, Aros. But, Wilson has been engineering this breakup for at least a year now and he's left Management with only one option. In my opinion, good riddance. Russell has become a primadonna and has always been a weak leader. I'd be willing to bet the team is dreading losing his on the field production, but can't wait to rid themselves of a selfish player. It's more than X's and O's when it comes to a lockerroom.
Trade Russell to preferrably an AFC team (Broncos) for as much as you can possibly get. Trade for Huntley or draft a QB. Hopefully the Hawks don't go into QB pergatory but we'll just have to wait and see. After all, it's just a game.

I don't think that Russell is necessarily gone. I do think that between him and Pete, that one of the two of them won't be with us next season.

I've been disappointed in Russell's statements of late. He was recently quoted as saying that I know for me, I hope it’s (Lion's game) not my last game (in Seattle). But at the same time, I know it won’t be my last game in the NFL.” This comes just weeks after he supposedly set to rest a trade rumor by saying that “Yeah, that’s my hope (to play 2 full decades with the Hawks). My hope’s not just to fulfill it (his contract). Hopefully, I get to play here for 20 years in my career,”

That's a pretty stark contrast and change in his thinking in just a couple of weeks. His hopes go from 10 more years to next season, adding in the kicker that it, ie the Lions game, won't be his last in the NFL, a clear and unmistakable shot across the bow. They both can't be true. I get the feeling that we're being played, that he's setting himself up as some sort of victim with no control over his destiny, so that if a divorce results, it's not his fault. He doesn't want to be seen as a greedy, selfish player, so he's tap dancing around the subject and protecting his image.

So does Russell want out or doesn't he? He has a no trade clause in his contract and has unprecedented fan popularity not to mention his importance to the team, so he has some significant leverage. It's disingenuous and an insult to our intelligence when he tries to get us to believe that he doesn't have any control over his destiny, so what are his expectations? More money? Control of who the coach is? Why is he now so pessimistic about his future here when just a few weeks ago he was talking about playing here another ten years? What's changed?

kf3339

Reaction score
olyfan63":rtex5g6k said:
Aros":rtex5g6k said:
Nope.

<snip>

This just in... John Schneider announced Sunday evening that the team is trading Russell Wilson to the Baltimore Ravens for Trent Dilfer and the 2000 Ravens defense... Super Bowl, baby!!

OK, kidding aside, sophomore season 2013 Russell was a better QB than 2000 SB Champ Dilfer, but both had the supporting cast of an elite defense and a strong run game. Both won Lombardis.

To me the wildcard is, Russell has to improve his game to compensate for small-but-important losses of quickness, speed, elusiveness. Get the ball out faster, on time. Take fewer hits. Can he, will he? Unknown.

Why do people feel so sure Russell Wilson's age 34-40 years will be better than Dave Krieg's age 34-40 years after leaving the Seahawks? Mid-late 30's QBs are rather uneven in their performances. How good was Brett Favre from age 35-40? He had one really good year. How about Steve Young? Michael Vick? NFL QB is a violent position, and concussions caused Young to retire. Tom Brady is a radical exception to normal NFL QB longevity trends. Russell's mid-late 30's performance *could* decline markedly; the odds are against Russell staying healthy and productive. He's taken a lot of sacks, a lot of hits.

Do I want Russell gone? No. I want the Hawks to improve as a football team, even if that means parting company with Russell if the offer is too good to refuse.

This is pretty much how I feel as well. I just don't think he can or will change his game enough to take the next step. A lot of this I put on PC drilling his old school QB nonsense into him for 10 years.

But mostly his salary demands and lack of draft capital makes me think a trade is best for both sides. But that's is with the understanding that both JS and PC are gone as well. Neither of them is capable of rebuilding this team again.

Aircrew

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":gdi2tkpf said:
Go back and look at teams that trade their stars and see how they do.

It rarely works out well.

Going to be even worse if you have a FO with a history of borking good draft picks and making boneheaded coaching decisions.

When we trade Wilson, we will be admitting that we don't mind being worse than the Dolphins and are happy to become what the Browns were not that long ago.

I get it. Wilson is almost certainly a construct. His brand building is tiresome. And if the separation was in the preparation, AS HE TOLD US ALL, then all the plates he has in the air - likely are impacting his success as a QB. That was clear the moment it started.

But he has also been the key reason we were one of the best teams in the regular season for half a decade.

And it was also clear that his FO/coach was saddling him with simplistic game plans, poor fit tactics, bad roster decisions, and a number of other issues that made expecting much more unlikely.

This feels like it will end just fine for Wilson. Probably a Charles Barkley type of situation where he gets traded and that team becomes a regular contender while the team that traded him languishes for years.

Well said and I can't disagree with anything you stated. However, and this is just my gut feeling, Pete and Jon are going to stay and Wilson is gone. Not because management has it out to trade away a future HOF franchise QB, but because Russ in no longer "All In" on Pete's vision for the team and as a result has engineered his way out of town. Put yourself in management's shoes and imagine having to placate RW's wants and needs that are becoming increasingly divergent from the formula that brought home our first and only Lombardi. I don't envy Pete and Jon, not one bit. And that's coming from a guy who understands QB's like Russ wants more say in how the team is structured. Keeping Russ means that Pete has to go and keeping Pete means that Russ has to go. They don't see eye to eye on the how the offense should be built and it shows. I think ownership knows that and is going to stick with management in the hope they can replace RW with someone who suits their offensive philosophy more and is essentially more of a team player. I could be all wrong, but man I really don't think so.

Aircrew

Reaction score
RiverDog":bhtj5q9h said:
Aircrew":bhtj5q9h said:

I don't think that Russell is necessarily gone. I do think that between him and Pete, that one of the two of them won't be with us next season.

I've been disappointed in Russell's statements of late. He was recently quoted as saying that I know for me, I hope it’s (Lion's game) not my last game (in Seattle). But at the same time, I know it won’t be my last game in the NFL.” This comes just weeks after he supposedly set to rest a trade rumor by saying that “Yeah, that’s my hope (to play 2 full decades with the Hawks). My hope’s not just to fulfill it (his contract). Hopefully, I get to play here for 20 years in my career,”

That's a pretty stark contrast and change in his thinking in just a couple of weeks. His hopes go from 10 more years to next season, adding in the kicker that it, ie the Lions game, won't be his last in the NFL, a clear and unmistakable shot across the bow. They both can't be true. I get the feeling that we're being played, that he's setting himself up as some sort of victim with no control over his destiny, so that if a divorce results, it's not his fault. He doesn't want to be seen as a greedy, selfish player, so he's tap dancing around the subject and protecting his image.

So does Russell want out or doesn't he? He has a no trade clause in his contract and has unprecedented fan popularity not to mention his importance to the team, so he has some significant leverage. It's disingenuous and an insult to our intelligence when he tries to get us to believe that he doesn't have any control over his destiny, so what are his expectations? More money? Control of who the coach is? Why is he now so pessimistic about his future here when just a few weeks ago he was talking about playing here another ten years? What's changed?

I agree and the part about RW's comments as of late are probably what the front office is flat out sick and tired of. I use to argue against the crowd that use to say Russ was a selfish player, but not anymore. I think he's turned into a locker room problem and it's hurting the team. Russ isn't an Alpha and it shows.