I Refuse To Believe This Is Russell's Last Dance in SEA

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":12fbhvsv said:
When we trade Wilson, we will be admitting that we don't mind being worse than the Dolphins and are happy to become what the Browns were not that long ago.

If we trade Wilson it'll be because he told Jody Allen that he wants no part of 3-4 more years of playing with Pete.

So that's the first domino to fall, is Pete back or not.

If Pete gets the stamp of approval from Allen and the Hawks brass? I HIGHLY doubt Pete and John can talk Russell into staying like they did last year when he made rumblings about maybe wanting to be traded.

So no, it has nothing to do with wanting to be the Dolphins or Browns. It has 100% to do with Russell wanting to stay or not. Or you can play hardball and force Russell to holdout and take this relationship into the toilet. Or you realize the relationship is broken and know that your QB isn't going to relent, and trade him.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
sutz":3d6cc1vr said:
IndyHawk":3d6cc1vr said:
Todd for the love of god please sober up! :irishdrinkers: :lol:
Drunk Todd is smarter than a lot of the yahoos on this site. :mrgreen:
Hey! *belch* us drunk yahoos take issue with that. :chug:

sutz

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2r4molu4 said:
sutz":2r4molu4 said:
IndyHawk":2r4molu4 said:
Hey! *belch* us drunk yahoos take issue with that. :chug:
Touche. :laugh:

Hell, after a win this site is much more bearable than the other situation. :twisted:

QuahHawk

Reaction score
The writing is on the wall for Russ.

Multiple ex-players are speaking out against Russ. I have to believe they would run through brick wall for Pete. Pete has protected Russ almost to a fault. Truly elite QB's are rare, and so are truly elite coaches.

Russ will be the odd man out.

balakoth

Reaction score
I love the "russ was quoted saying"

Yeah but you need to watch the whole interview.. there's a reason that was said and not just out of random... the quote is out of context from the entire interview. He was directly answering a question. How are people possibly faulting THAT issue?

KinesProf

Reaction score
Aros":2tmrq4cx said:
the greatest player this franchise has ever had in its existence

While I agree with this post, I'm a hard disagree with this line.

Tez, Walt, Bobby, and Largent are objectively greater football players. A blind comparison of resumes between those 4 and Russ confirms that.

Those guys have been 1st team all -pro and all-decade team, a level Russ has never reached, and may never reach. That tells you where you are relative to your peers at the position. Walt, Tez, and Bobby spent extended periods of time as the very best in the world at their job.

Russ - most important and most valuable player in franchise history? Yes. But he's not as great of a football player as those four.

Jville

Reaction score
balakoth":3fm459pd said:
I love the "russ was quoted saying"

Yeah but you need to watch the whole interview.. there's a reason that was said and not just out of random... the quote is out of context from the entire interview. He was directly answering a question. How are people possibly faulting THAT issue?

Where there is a will. There is a way to repackage anything to fit a narrative. It's why listening to the original source is mandatory.

chris98251

Reaction score
Wilson is gone if Pete maintains his control and stays, as stated if not all in you are out on Pete's teams, not one player has talked about the team in a less then enlighten aspect and stayed here. I also don't think it will take long, seems Pete and John deal these issues quickly but for a cheaper return which would be a pity in this case.

RiverDog

Reaction score
chris98251":34xf8ej2 said:
Wilson is gone if Pete maintains his control and stays, as stated if not all in you are out on Pete's teams, not one player has talked about the team in a less then enlighten aspect and stayed here. I also don't think it will take long, seems Pete and John deal these issues quickly but for a cheaper return which would be a pity in this case.

I tend to agree. Although I don't dare put Russell in his class, they sure disposed of Percy Harvin in short order once he wasn't all in. If I'm Pete, I'd be pretty unnerved at all of this static going on about Russell and would want as immediate resolution of it as possible so I could get on with my job and not have to deal with the distraction.

Jodi Allen needs to come out of her underground bunker and make a decision. She should have done so last week as we didn't learn a damn thing after the outcome of the Lions game that we didn't know before going in, except that it allowed Russell to add some more intrigue to the situation by spouting off about his "hopes". End this speculation once and for all. Is Pete our coach going forward or are we going to hit the reset?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
If Wilson is gone, then Jody pretty much has no choice but to keep Pete.

At least short-term.

The enemy to sales is uncertainty.

Pete is the root of our problems, almost assuredly. But if the realization that Wilson can no longer overcome Pete's deficiencies is made (or Wilson is just tired of carrying Pete) - then she has to keep Pete.

With Wilson gone, at least you can sell hope. Hope that Pete can rebuild his great defense again. Hope that Pete can find another diamond in the rough...whatever.

But good luck selling:

'We have no idea who our QB will be but hope to get lucky again.
Oh, we also have to get lucky on a HC.
Oh yeah..Probably have to find a GM too....'

3 areas the team will have to get lucky just to try to rebuild. And who is the face of the franchise then? DK?

She is stuck. She has to keep Pete, which likely means we won't be going to the playoffs for 4-5 years, if not longer.

toffee

Reaction score
RiverDog":2ms5qw3w said:
Aircrew":2ms5qw3w said:
Wilson is gone and it is all his doing. Russ started the divorce last offseason, he's carefully chosen his words since then and all the while positioned himself to be traded to an immediate contender while looking like the good guy. I think if it were up to the team, they'd keep Russell because of all the reasons you listed, Aros. But, Wilson has been engineering this breakup for at least a year now and he's left Management with only one option. In my opinion, good riddance. Russell has become a primadonna and has always been a weak leader. I'd be willing to bet the team is dreading losing his on the field production, but can't wait to rid themselves of a selfish player. It's more than X's and O's when it comes to a lockerroom.
Trade Russell to preferrably an AFC team (Broncos) for as much as you can possibly get. Trade for Huntley or draft a QB. Hopefully the Hawks don't go into QB pergatory but we'll just have to wait and see. After all, it's just a game.

I don't think that Russell is necessarily gone. I do think that between him and Pete, that one of the two of them won't be with us next season.

I've been disappointed in Russell's statements of late. He was recently quoted as saying that I know for me, I hope it’s (Lion's game) not my last game (in Seattle). But at the same time, I know it won’t be my last game in the NFL.” This comes just weeks after he supposedly set to rest a trade rumor by saying that “Yeah, that’s my hope (to play 2 full decades with the Hawks). My hope’s not just to fulfill it (his contract). Hopefully, I get to play here for 20 years in my career,”

That's a pretty stark contrast and change in his thinking in just a couple of weeks. His hopes go from 10 more years to next season, adding in the kicker that it, ie the Lions game, won't be his last in the NFL, a clear and unmistakable shot across the bow. They both can't be true. I get the feeling that we're being played, that he's setting himself up as some sort of victim with no control over his destiny, so that if a divorce results, it's not his fault. He doesn't want to be seen as a greedy, selfish player, so he's tap dancing around the subject and protecting his image.

So does Russell want out or doesn't he? He has a no trade clause in his contract and has unprecedented fan popularity not to mention his importance to the team, so he has some significant leverage. It's disingenuous and an insult to our intelligence when he tries to get us to believe that he doesn't have any control over his destiny, so what are his expectations? More money? Control of who the coach is? Why is he now so pessimistic about his future here when just a few weeks ago he was talking about playing here another ten years? What's changed?

Well Sir, which part of expectation management that you are not getting? Our Russ is managing the media and 12's expectation on his departure and it IS WORKING. Why? If it didn't work, we won't have this thread, will we? I really enjoy Russ's pressers, it's always about promoting that holy and thou image, and manage media/12 expectation. Our franchise QB certainly execute those at HOF level, he often made brought this old man to tears when he talked about the children. Even if I couldn't tune in to watch the game, I always watch Russ's pressers on youtube.

Fade

Reaction score
Imagine picking Mike McCarthy over Aaron Rodgers.

I refuse to believe the Seahawks organization is that stupid.

Wilson is sitting there with 22 TDs and 5 INTs with a busted throwing hand. This is a down year for him. Pete will never find a QB better than Wilson's worst season.

So what's that tell you? Pete's ceiling is 7 wins without Wilson at best. Just about the amount of games he was winning before Wilson showed up.

Trade for Sean Payton from New Orleans, extend Russell Wilson (to show he's committed long term), use your $60M+ in cap space upcoming to build him the best offensive line in football, and start competing for Super Bowls again.

Or stick with Pete, watch him sign Mitch Tribusky or someone like that, and become the laughing stock of the football world. The choice isn't hard.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Slow potato with limbs Russ is not Aaron Rodgers.

If he refuses/can't run or escape, he becomes very average.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
sutz":31sppmer said:
IndyHawk":31sppmer said:
Oh I agree..Just not on this one take.

John63

Reaction score
Fade":2qoa9bn8 said:

Wilson is sitting there with 22 TDs and 5 INTs with a busted throwing hand. This is a down year for him. Pete will never find a QB better than Wilson's worst season.

So what's that tell you? Pete's ceiling is 7 wins without Wilson at best. Just about the amount of games he was winning before Wilson showed up.

Trade for Sean Payton from New Orleans, extend Russell Wilson (to show he's committed long term), use your $60M+ in cap space upcoming to build him the best offensive line in football, and start competing for Super Bowls again.

Or stick with Pete, watch him sign Mitch Tribusky or someone like that, and become the laughing stock of the football world. The choice isn't hard.

Well interesting is his stats this year with 3 missing games are

2875 yards, 7.7 ypa, 65% complt, 22 tds, 5 ints, 102.6 passer rating.

Despite missing the 3 games and playing hurt on his throwing hand he is

7th ypa
7th tds
5th passer rating

John63

Reaction score
Smellyman":2hmyjoa1 said:

Facts show otherwise and fyi Rodgers had a 2-3 year span were people thought he was done.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
John63":1tk6auq6 said:
Smellyman":1tk6auq6 said:

Facts show otherwise and fyi Rodgers had a 2-3 year span were people thought he was done.

Yeah, 2-3 down tears vs a “bad year” for Russ where he misses 3 games and still has good numbers. For the fans that want him gone, quit cherry picking stats or games that don’t show how good he really is.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
KinesProf":2p9fiynm said:
Aros":2p9fiynm said:
the greatest player this franchise has ever had in its existence

While I agree with this post, I'm a hard disagree with this line.

Tez, Walt, Bobby, and Largent are objectively greater football players. A blind comparison of resumes between those 4 and Russ confirms that.

Those guys have been 1st team all -pro and all-decade team, a level Russ has never reached, and may never reach. That tells you where you are relative to your peers at the position. Walt, Tez, and Bobby spent extended periods of time as the very best in the world at their job.

Russ - most important and most valuable player in franchise history? Yes. But he's not as great of a football player as those four.
Russ is probably thee best Seahawks QB of all-time, yes, but, he definitely isn’t the greatest Seahawks player of all-time.

If you list Top 5 players ever at their positions, you can make a case for these players:

Steve Largent
Cortez Kennedy
Walter Jones
Kenny Easley
Steve Hutchinson
Bobby Wagner

But Russ? No. Russ isn’t even close. So he wouldn’t be a greatest Seahawks ever.

I believe that Honor is still held by Steve Largent.

sutz

Reaction score
John63":2idk9yon said:
Fade":2idk9yon said:

Well interesting is his stats this year with 3 missing games are

2875 yards, 7.7 ypa, 65% complt, 22 tds, 5 ints, 102.6 passer rating.

Despite missing the 3 games and playing hurt on his throwing hand he is

7th ypa
7th tds
5th passer rating
So basically, he needs 125 against AZ for 3000 yards in an injury marred year. Not bad. :)

QuahHawk

Reaction score
QuahHawk":11e24p4o said:
The writing is on the wall for Russ.

Pete has protected Russ almost to a fault. Truly elite QB's are rare, and so are truly elite coaches.
JS just said in the conference today that Pete cut him off from draft QB's, that was surely to appease Russ's ego.

Russ will be the odd man out.
Yep