I think it's time to churn the team a bit. (My opinion 100%)

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1o6w3zwi said:
KARAVARUS":1o6w3zwi said:
The trouble that I have with your argument, is that you're notallowing for the possibility of coaching being a problem. But whatever. If you're that set on it, far get it from me to continue the debate with ya.
Yes, we have differing opinions. If we were the Browns, Bears or even an inconsistent team like the Redskins I'd be weary. But we are one of the elite teams in the league right now, so no, I don't see the kind of problems you must be identifying.

What you're seeing on the field is elite? That's more than just a difference of opinions, my friend.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Churn the roster and replace them with whom? Guys from the street? Nah ... doesn't make sense.
We need to draft better. That's the bottom line.
John Schneider is really challenged to draft some great guys.
There are two key positions that have been very inconsistent the past two years: Running back and offensive line.
We used high draft picks on those positions the last 3 years, All these were busts. Robert Turbin, CM and the 4 RBs we selected last year. Thomas Rawls was our lucky selection in Free Agency, but he has been struggling a lot.
Let's not even discuss the O-Line. If we could get decent play from these positions, our team could add at least two wins this season and be in great position ...

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
falcongoggles":2z92s65m said:
I knew the second a thread started that was critical of the coaches, especially Bevell, that Siouxhawk was going to show up to defend EVERY SINGLE INCH of "turf" via deflect, deflect, deflect, deny, deny, deny.

When this team goes one and done in the playoffs, or squeaks out a win only to be blown out in the second round, the OP will be vindicated.

What the OP is proposing is not unprecedented. The Broncos lost the Super Bowl, the Super Bowl and fired their head coach. Seattle can easily fire a handful of coordinators and make improve the next year.

Again, this team is not coached for a deep playoff run and when they get bounced, it will be time for heads to roll.
Will you feel vindicated? Deep down, is this what you desire? Because a post like this kind of hints at that.
And if I remember correctly, the Broncos didn't come out and say they fired Fox, did they? Didn't they indicated it was a mutual parting of the ways? And we all know they had a hard-on for Kubiak, who was one of their own and a hot coaching prospect. He played with Elway, right?
I'll just say that I don't believe your "heads will roll" prediction. But first and foremost, I will accept any decision Pete makes regarding his staff because he, after all, is the true talent evaluator and knows better than anyone else what contributions his staff makes to the overall formula of his plan. Just remember that Bevell has been there every step of the way when this staff has pulled up this franchise from its bootstrings to the point where they are now enjoying the most success in franchise history.
Funny how that gets lost on some people.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":14dtzxtw said:
falcongoggles":14dtzxtw said:
I knew the second a thread started that was critical of the coaches, especially Bevell, that Siouxhawk was going to show up to defend EVERY SINGLE INCH of "turf" via deflect, deflect, deflect, deny, deny, deny.

When this team goes one and done in the playoffs, or squeaks out a win only to be blown out in the second round, the OP will be vindicated.

What the OP is proposing is not unprecedented. The Broncos lost the Super Bowl, the Super Bowl and fired their head coach. Seattle can easily fire a handful of coordinators and make improve the next year.

Again, this team is not coached for a deep playoff run and when they get bounced, it will be time for heads to roll.
Will you feel vindicated? Deep down, is this what you desire? Because a post like this kind of hints at that.
And if I remember correctly, the Broncos didn't come out and say they fired Fox, did they? Didn't they indicated it was a mutual parting of the ways? And we all know they had a hard-on for Kubiak, who was one of their own and a hot coaching prospect. He played with Elway, right?
I'll just say that I don't believe your "heads will roll" prediction. But first and foremost, I will accept any decision Pete makes regarding his staff because he, after all, is the true talent evaluator and knows better than anyone else what contributions his staff makes to the overall formula of his plan. Just remember that Bevell has been there every step of the way when this staff has pulled up this franchise from its bootstrings to the point where they are now enjoying the most success in franchise history.
Funny how that gets lost on some people.

A team that parts ways with a coach coming off a Super Bowl appearance is firing him, but using other words. "Parting ways" allows John Fox to find another HC job and not be rolled back to a coordinator role.

I look forward to Bevell "parting ways" with this team so that we can stop bickering on this board and redirect our energies into the team look alike threads as well as the "describe the team in one picture" posts.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2glpnhjl said:
Churn the roster and replace them with whom? Guys from the street? Nah ... doesn't make sense.
John Schneider is really challenged to draft some great guys.
There are two key positions that have been very inconsistent the past two years: Running back and offensive line.
We used high draft picks on those positions the last 3 years, All these were busts. Robert Turbin, CM and the 4 RBs we selected last year. Thomas Rawls was our lucky selection in Free Agency, but he has been struggling a lot.
Let's not even discuss the O-Line. If we could get decent play from these positions, our team could add at least two wins this season and be in great position ...

This. I've said it before, drafts since 2012 have failed to provide quality starters or quality depth. This is the main reason for our current "issues".

At this point I'm in favor of some coaching churn: I see this as unlikely to happen- maybe a random assistant or position coach or two- but that happens anyway.

Player churn needs to be on-going; this is more problematic. Who do you replace with whom? On D- outside of the core guys there's not much there that's not replaceable. On O- from a cost/benefit analysis right now, I'd say the number of "must keeps" could be counted on one hand.

But yeah, drafts...

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I'm gonna bump this back up, this was always more of an offseason type of thread. I still feel this way.

Anyone thinking we should trade Bennett? I wonder what the market would be like on him. Hopefully the 49ers hire Cable away. Bevell will probably stay but we can survive that.

I really want Richard gone. He's not the guy at DC, in my opinion.

We've got some cap room, hopefully we go out and find some young hungry guys/undervalued veterans who will work in our scheme to supplement our upcoming draft.

I haven't been this excited for an offseason in a while.

raisethe3

Reaction score
^^^As much I like to see Richard gone, who do you see replacing him?

I think we can do something if we bring some guidance on offense line coaching (Walter Jones maybe?) to assist Cable. If not, then I guess just replace him.

As much as I despise Bevell, I think he needs to get back to being the play-calling of 2013-2014. That is, running the ball and shoving it down the defense throat to open up the passing game. Throw to Jimmy Graham a bit more. Mix up the calls with quick route passings, and don't be afraid to throw a deep ball every once in a while.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
OP is right on.

And no need to emphasize it's your opinion. If it's fact to you, go ahead and say it as such.

No need to qualify everything. State what's on your mind and others are welcome to disagree and you are just as welcome to know they are wrong and keep speaking your mind.

'MERICA!!!!!

Josea16

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1lq67zot said:
KARAVARUS":1lq67zot said:
The trouble that I have with your argument, is that you're notallowing for the possibility of coaching being a problem. But whatever. If you're that set on it, far get it from me to continue the debate with ya.
Yes, we have differing opinions. If we were the Browns, Bears or even an inconsistent team like the Redskins I'd be weary. But we are one of the elite teams in the league right now, so no, I don't see the kind of problems you must be identifying.
Hate to burst your bubble but the last two years tell a different story. We're in the top 10. Elite would be in the top 4 we're contenders but not really a threat to the top teams currently. Too inconsistent with a scheme that needs to evolve and saddled with offensive coaches the players don't believe in and seemingly unable to adjust things in game.

Josea16

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1ief75uu said:
I'm gonna bump this back up, this was always more of an offseason type of thread. I still feel this way.

Anyone thinking we should trade Bennett? I wonder what the market would be like on him. Hopefully the 49ers hire Cable away. Bevell will probably stay but we can survive that.

I really want Richard gone. He's not the guy at DC, in my opinion.

We've got some cap room, hopefully we go out and find some young hungry guys/undervalued veterans who will work in our scheme to supplement our upcoming draft.

I haven't been this excited for an offseason in a while.
Hate that signing but I understand why they did it. I would say at this point we keep him good pass rushers do not grow on trees and go at a premium anyway. And Bennett does far more for us then provide a pass rush.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Josea16":1tnw3r83 said:
Siouxhawk":1tnw3r83 said:
KARAVARUS":1tnw3r83 said:
Hate to burst your bubble but the last two years tell a different story. We're in the top 10. Elite would be in the top 4 we're contenders but not really a threat to the top teams currently. Too inconsistent with a scheme that needs to evolve and saddled with offensive coaches the players don't believe in and seemingly unable to adjust things in game.

You are right.

Hawks 2016 are not an elite NFL team.

2016 is now over for us, so hoping by 2017 we will be.

That is gonna take some changes, though.

As in - Bevell sucks.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3hntwlpv said:
I'm glad to see some in agreement. Anyone else have thoughts on this? Counterpoints?

11-6-1, wild-card win, fifth playoff championship in a row?

Does that count?

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Siouxhawk":15bae2k1 said:
sdog1981":15bae2k1 said:
Siouxhawk":15bae2k1 said:
edogg23":15bae2k1 said:
Unless we win the Super Bowl fire Bevell, fire Cable, get Russell to work on his lost speed in the offseason.
Spoken (written) like a true Millenial.

If you are going to mock millennial's at least do it right.

A millennial would be happy with just having a football season with his friends and would not want to keep score because it would hurt the other team's feelings. Every team would get a trophy for playing in the NFL.

Having a high standard of winning the Superbowl is very anti-millennial.
My take is that a millenial is superfluous to any outside factors around him/her and feels entitled to the blue ribbon prize without having to actually put much work toward it. I thought that may have addressed the circumstance. But what do I know, I'm just a baby boomer who appreciates hard and diligent work and rewards of suich endeavors.

LOL, if you're a baby boomer, you've driven the country into the ground and ensured that for the first time in a long time in the United States, a generation does worse financially than the generation of its parents.

Baby boomers are selfish and self-interested in getting as much return as they can for little effort, so they'd probably be all about maintaining cushy contracts to players and coaches who are underperforming them in the name of "continuity."

I think Christopher Buckley's book Boomsday isn't a fun piece of fiction, but rather a guide to social re-ordering.

mrt144

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":1j1gxi7c said:
sdog1981":1j1gxi7c said:
Siouxhawk":1j1gxi7c said:
edogg23":1j1gxi7c said:
Unless we win the Super Bowl fire Bevell, fire Cable, get Russell to work on his lost speed in the offseason.
Spoken (written) like a true Millenial.

If you are going to mock millennial's at least do it right.

A millennial would be happy with just having a football season with his friends and would not want to keep score because it would hurt the other team's feelings. Every team would get a trophy for playing in the NFL.

Having a high standard of winning the Superbowl is very anti-millennial.

Millennials never gave themselves participation trophies, their Baby Boomer parents did that. And Millennials threw them out when said parents weren't looking.

"Why did my parents want that trophy so bad, I just wanted to play ball" - many millenials.

mrt144

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":278g8wqp said:
LOL, if you're a baby boomer, you've driven the country into the ground and ensured that for the first time in a long time in the United States, a generation does worse financially than the generation of its parents.

Baby boomers are selfish and self-interested in getting as much return as they can for little effort, so they'd probably be all about maintaining cushy contracts to players and coaches who are underperforming them in the name of "continuity."

I think Christopher Buckley's book Boomsday isn't a fun piece of fiction, but rather a guide to social re-ordering.

Don't you realize that from 1980 onward, the mere presence of people from our generation is the root cause for all the ills of society. We're so powerful that even as children we set the country on a collision course with the current reckoning we're having.

I couldn't vote for my interests until 2002, the horse was already out of the barn. But sure, blame me for the collective failings of America now.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I'm a millennial and y'all can pound sand. I work my ass off to get what I want, as do most of my acquaintances.

With that said, I'd like this to stay on topic.

Montana, I get what you're saying. I just think that the front office has to pivot significantly on some things to reverse the downtrending performance, as well as the deteriorating team chemistry. 11-6-1, yes, but with some of the very worst Seahawks performances we've seen in the past 5 years.

The results are still fairly great, but is there a reason to believe they will continue to be, at this pace?

I think the team needs a sizeable injection of new blood before they can get back to the Bowl. That's all.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2xqve90j said:
I'm a millennial and y'all can pound sand. I work my ass off to get what I want, as do most of my acquaintances.

Montana, I get what you're saying. I just think that the front office has to pivot significantly on some things to reverse the downtrending performance, as well as the deteriorating team chemistry. 11-6-1, yes, but with some of the very worst Seahawks performances we've seen in the past 5 years.

The results are still fairly great, but is there a reason to believe they will continue to be, at this pace?

I think the team needs a sizeable injection of new blood before they can get back to the Bowl. That's all.

Including the coaching staff.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
semiahmoo":13n1ch7m said:
Maelstrom787":13n1ch7m said:

I agree. A more experienced defensive coordinator (who can handle volatile players) and a new direction on the offensive line are the first places I'd go. I don't hate Bevell, and I don't think he's essential to replace, but I'd like to see a new guy if the replacement is up to par.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3qb0g57s said:
semiahmoo":3qb0g57s said:
Maelstrom787":3qb0g57s said:

I agree. A more experienced defensive coordinator (who can handle volatile players) and a new direction on the offensive line are the first places I'd go. I don't hate Bevell, and I don't think he's essential to replace, but I'd like to see a new guy if the replacement is up to par.

Agree with your agreement.

I don't hate Bevell either.

I do think he sucks and hope he's sent packing or some poor team decides to roll the dice and give him a HC gig.