I will give bevel his props tonight

olyfan63

Reaction score
Bevell had a good game without being cutesy.
When the Lions started stacking the box to stop the run, he (or Russell audibling) started taking shots in the passing game.
The empty set out of a heavy personnel group was a new thing and a pleasant surprise.

I can sure see how Bevell's job is so much easier with a running game that works...
Not saying I'm a Bevell fan, but if Bevell does his job smartly and well, our chances of a deep playoff run are sure a lot better.

It seemed like Bevell was taking what the defense was giving instead of trying to "do the unexpected" (low percentage with wrong personnel) to "catch the defense off guard". Thank God, no 4th down fades to short receivers, no slant call to WR #5, etc. If this is the "new Bevell" I sure like it a lot better than the old one.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
olyfan63":2hxehjq1 said:
When the Lions started stacking the box to stop the run, he (or Russell audibling) started taking shots in the passing game.
The empty set out of a heavy personnel group was a new thing and a pleasant surprise.

I can sure see how Bevell's job is so much easier with a running game that works...
Not saying I'm a Bevell fan, but if Bevell does his job smartly and well, our chances of a deep playoff run are sure a lot better.

It seemed like Bevell was taking what the defense was giving instead of trying to "do the unexpected" (low percentage with wrong personnel) to "catch the defense off guard". Thank God, no 4th down fades to short receivers, no slant call to WR #5, etc. If this is the "new Bevell" I sure like it a lot better than the old one.

Good post. I have been a critic of Bevell and Cable quite a bit. I wholeheartedly agree with Oly's post. This was the best game by the offense in the last month or so. Did it at the right time too.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
olyfan63":gf7x98my said:

Could it be that this is part of the plan for the season of work? Maybe Bevell plans for a vanilla type of game for a great part of the season and then open the book a bit more in the playoffs.

You could use this as an option too, play as much vanilla and battle into their strengths just to see what will happen. Make the playoffs and then show them what our team has under its sleeve. A few change ups and see what happens...but dont give them all of what they can do until the big game.

Last year we had no choice but to open the book when Beast was done and when we did not know what we had with Rawls. Now it is a different story. I dont desire a West Coast Offense as all that contains is a #passhappyoffense. I do like the control offense with an emphasis on the run game to wear down defenses and control the amount of scores by the other team.

Just trying to throw ideas out there.

More discussion if possible please.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":18144efx said:
olyfan63":18144efx said:

Could it be that this is part of the plan for the season of work? Maybe Bevell plans for a vanilla type of game for a great part of the season and then open the book a bit more in the playoffs.

You could use this as an option too, play as much vanilla and battle into their strengths just to see what will happen. Make the playoffs and then show them what our team has under its sleeve. A few change ups and see what happens...but dont give them all of what they can do until the big game.

Last year we had no choice but to open the book when Beast was done and when we did not know what we had with Rawls. Now it is a different story. I dont desire a West Coast Offense as all that contains is a #passhappyoffense. I do like the control offense with an emphasis on the run game to wear down defenses and control the amount of scores by the other team.

Just trying to throw ideas out there.

More discussion if possible please.

You make a good point. It could very well be. But it doesn't really make logical sense to me. You're still playing for a top seed and a playoff spot during the regular season. Being vanilla cost the team the opportunity to be the #1 or #2 seed. Maybe the players are more motivated now on executing the calls better since it's playoff time - do or die time. Sort of like the preseason, they are not as motivated in the preseason as they are in the regular season...etc. It may lead to doing enough to get to the post season and then taking it up a notch in the playoffs.