I wonder... a comment in QB / Coach arenas.

Rocket

Reaction score
after reading Pro Football Focus's MVP award to Russell Wilson, I find myself picturing Russ and Pete in different arenas.

Don't get me wrong, Pete is a gem, both as coach and as motivator and a defensive wiz, but what might have been if Russ was riding a horse saddled by an Offensive Genius. Both are top ten in their respective slots, but they're sadly in different arenas.

In the playoffs, Russ was a bit more Dangeruss when given free reign.

John63

Reaction score
Rocket":39uhp8z2 said:
after reading Pro Football Focus's MVP award to Russell Wilson, I find myself picturing Russ and Pete in different arenas.

Don't get me wrong, Pete is a gem, both as coach and as motivator and a defensive wiz, but what might have been if Russ was riding a horse saddled by an Offensive Genius. Both are top ten in their respective slots, but they're sadly in different arenas.

In the playoffs, Russ was a bit more Dangeruss when given free reign.

And in there lies the great conundrum, PC is a Defensive guy and he coaches the team defensively, his offense is run to help the defense, and unfortunately more often than not puts the offense behind the 8 ball till the 2nd half we he asks Wilson to save him. No other coach does this. Some will say so its working we are a winning team and have an SB. I say we are doing it despite the system not because of it and how much more could we win if we ran the right systems for both sides. We could be 3Sb wins or more. Early on it was not as bad as he had the top 3 defense and run game to run his system, now he does not, but he wants to keep trying anyway all while wasting qtrs at a time, and asking Wilson to bring it home.

I would like to see PC give up any involvement in the offense and either getting an innovative OC or Seeing what Wilson and Shcotty and come up with without PC mantra. That said I am pretty sure we have already seen it, see almost every 2nd half of almost every game.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I'm wondering whether the first half slowness isn't on just JC but RW.

RW is the highest paid vet in the league, he's turning 32, and I can't believe at this point that he can't sit down with JC in private and have a conversation about trends that would be taken seriously.

It's far more likely that both of them want to do this as it's been proven (within the regular season) to lead to more points in the second half based on what they did in the first.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Belichick is a defensive guru, Brady is the GOAT QB.. They can co-exist.

The primary difference between the PATS and HAWKS? The Patriots game plan to attack the enemies' weakness and neutralize their greatest strengths. If they are soft, the Pats will be physical. If they have weak pass rush and secondary, they'll throw it 50 times. If they have Strong rush, they'll use screens, run, and short passing game..

What does Pete do? Regardless of the other team, he will run the ball and try to establish play action. That's it.

John63

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1wpt8q46 said:
I'm wondering whether the first half slowness isn't on just JC but RW.

RW is the highest paid vet in the league, he's turning 32, and I can't believe at this point that he can't sit down with JC in private and have a conversation about trends that would be taken seriously.

It's far more likely that both of them want to do this as it's been proven (within the regular season) to lead to more points in the second half based on what they did in the first.

We have gone down this already, its PC he has said.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
John63":h5179dj5 said:
We have gone down this already, its PC he has said.

Am aware. I'm just saying their economic motives align.

No one fires anyone who's taken them to seven of eight playoff seasons, with the one they missed still being technically a winning season. Martin Lewis would still be w/the Bengals had he done that. Tannehill (and Gase) would still be with the Dolphins if they'd managed to do that.

I'm not saying RW is a Tannehill, just that the optics are the same. Two years of no playoffs with a franchise QB has often gotten the HC fired and sometimes the QB.

They have a formula that rewards both of them financially until the year it doesn't. At which point they'll both go.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I think some of the issue is with Wilson also, he very rarely trusts himself with the risky passes early on in games. Now I think this is part of the ball security mantra that the seahawks preach but I also think Wilson only want to ball out when he needs to. In a sense you could argue Wilson and PC are aligned.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":izp5qmnw said:
I think some of the issue is with Wilson also, he very rarely trusts himself with the risky passes early on in games. Now I think this is part of the ball security mantra that the seahawks preach but I also think Wilson only want to ball out when he needs to. In a sense you could argue Wilson and PC are aligned.
How dare you not blame the whole situation on Pete.

getnasty":izp5qmnw said:
Different name same topic
ad naseum

John63

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":3n5m50qc said:

If he was that way in college i would by it but he was jot. Also in the rare occasions they started the game with tempo changing system he was not that way. So not buying it at all. This is all PC and he has admitted to it.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The offense helps the D by resting it longer if it's working
The problem is certain play calls which results in low scoring
first halfs and the D isn't being rested with 3 and outs.
Yes PC wants his way but finally RW is pressing for changes
and that is a good thing..It doesn't mean a lot has to change
but rather tweaks to fix what isn't working..A lot has to do
with those putrid first halfs which the whole board can agree
with.

xray

Reaction score
Carroll is the best coach in the history of the Seahawks...however ; Carroll has never figured out how to utilize Wilson .
That is a major fail on Carroll's part . A potential dynasty lost . IMO

lukerguy

Reaction score
If you've followed Pete throughout the years, you know that he believes that having a coaching philosophy is what will sustain you through the hard times. In his case, his philosophy is to run the ball, and play defense.

The most successful coaches have been ones willing to adapt.. It's an ever changing league but Pete would say that if you adapt you can get lost easily and before long you don't know where you are. So, yeah Pete isn't changing anytime soon.

Under Pete's system you might as well trade Russ for 3 1sts, draft a rookie, sign the best d and o lines, and run the ball and rush the passer.

Coaches like A.Reid, McVay or Pederson would be licking their chops to get their hands on Russ and plan their RPO around his skill set, not pete.

John63

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1uj8y9c9 said:
The offense helps the D by resting it longer if it's working
The problem is certain play calls which results in low scoring
first halfs and the D isn't being rested with 3 and outs.
Yes PC wants his way but finally RW is pressing for changes
and that is a good thing..It doesn't mean a lot has to change
but rather tweaks to fix what isn't working..A lot has to do
with those putrid first halfs which the whole board can agree
with.

The offense that works best has a better TOP than the SOSO.

HawkerD

Reaction score
xray":2ve16vv2 said:
Carroll is the best coach in the history of the Seahawks...however ; Carroll has never figured out how to utilize Wilson .
That is a major fail on Carroll's part . A potential dynasty lost . IMO
I would say Carroll is the best coach in Hawk history because, first and foremost, RW is the best QB in team history. This is not a chicken or the egg kind of thing. To quote Gus Grissom in The Right Stuff, "no bucks; no Buck Rogers. If I am confusing anyone, RW is the bucks.

And as a BTW, it was JS who saw the talent in Wilson and had to convince PC of the possibilities.

IMO, Carroll is receiving more credit than he is due. Just about any coach could come in and be .500 with RW as the starter. There are a good number that would be doing as well or better than what we currently have. Without a top 3 QB, this team wins maybe 5 games this past year.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
NOTE: This post has been deleted 5/22/20, ------- this comes after multiple unprovoked attacks on me by the asshole acer1240. I will never post here again. This site has officially gone to hell & I'll never return.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Would Russell have had this much success and be on his way to the HOF if he was drafted by the Jets or Cleveland, or any other organization that'd hyper-dysfunctional and ruins QB's?

So if you're going to continue to just make up thread after thread of "hey Pete's holding Russell back," then you better also give Pete credit for creating an amazing environment for Russell to excel and thrive in.

Because you can talk all day long about scheme and X's and O's, but if you're not including all the organizational and structural qualities Pete has built here, of which Russell's benefited greatly from?

Then you're being dishonest with this conversation.

John63

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3swahsk5 said:
Would Russell have had this much success and be on his way to the HOF if he was drafted by the Jets or Cleveland, or any other organization that'd hyper-dysfunctional and ruins QB's?

So if you're going to continue to just make up thread after thread of "hey Pete's holding Russell back," then you better also give Pete credit for creating an amazing environment for Russell to excel and thrive in.

Because you can talk all day long about scheme and X's and O's, but if you're not including all the organizational and structural qualities Pete has built here, of which Russell's benefited greatly from?

Our best offensive playe ris our QB yet the team is built around the run, enough said.

Tical21

Reaction score
John63":jiejolor said:
Sgt. Largent":jiejolor said:

Our best offensive playe ris our QB yet the team is built around the run, enough said.
I wonder why. Pete never had problems building his college programs around his quarterback.

John63

Reaction score
Tical21":1gc9iy9h said:
John63":1gc9iy9h said:
Sgt. Largent":1gc9iy9h said:

I wonder why. Pete never had problems building his college programs around his quarterback.

Really, So the part were PC constantly says and did form day one before Wilson he wants to run the ball, control the clock, and pass long. He wants to keep it close and win in the end. He said that day 1 2 years before Wilson. Nice try though

Oh and lets see, 2009 his last year they ran for 167 yards per game and only through for 223 that is building around your QB with an avg of 38 runs and 29 passes?? 2007 197 run per game, 237 pass, that is building around your QB oh and 40 run attempts per game, and only 35 pass. Once again you are WRONG.