I'd like to respond to a post...

chris98251

Reaction score
Chawker":14czcr9k said:
One other thing really grinds my gears about this place, sombody will break a big news story, then 20 minutes late somebody else will start a post like they where the one who discovered it. The mods lock out the first guys post and then get ride of it. Thats real fair and awful nice when it happens. I've seen it just the other day when Russ signed his new contract. These kind of actions really are hurting your fan base and turning people away. just a heads up. cheers

I think most of us try to go with the one first time stamped, but if were late arriving many times the second will get the traffic, then it's becomes a judgement call based on the conversations within the thread, one may have 3 posts say the first one, the second may have 25, yeah it can happen real fast. So the more posted one is on top of the tread where original gets pushed down.

Again this isn't typical but can happen, we as a group seem to have a lot of the day and night covered and most times we are on top of it, but hey sometimes it happens and it is never personal.

Also their are times when we have a thread that is existing and someone creates another that has a simular angle or story but they think that the original has three pages and their point of view won't get attention so start a new thread, again if locked it's not personal, but if 10,000 members took that approach we would have a real messy board.

What we do is not an exact science anymore then raising a kid or having a relationship, lots of how toos but little practical information other then a guideline for what we hope to accomplish. We do our best and try to look at the big picture and health of the Forums.

Where I know many get their warm and fuzzies by being the first to find or post a news item and it is a great aspect of .Net that we have our members scouring the internet looking for these, having the news here is the real benefit for the membership, it is all appreciated and welcome.

Sac

Reaction score
Chawker":emdelftm said:
One other thing really grinds my gears about this place, sombody will break a big news story, then 20 minutes late somebody else will start a post like they where the one who discovered it. The mods lock out the first guys post and then get ride of it. Thats real fair and awful nice when it happens. I've seen it just the other day when Russ signed his new contract. These kind of actions really are hurting your fan base and turning people away. just a heads up. cheers

chris98251":emdelftm said:
Chawker":emdelftm said:

I think most of us try to go with the one first time stamped, but if were late arriving many times the second will get the traffic, then it's becomes a judgement call based on the conversations within the thread, one may have 3 posts say the first one, the second may have 25, yeah it can happen real fast. So the more posted one is on top of the tread where original gets pushed down.

Again this isn't typical but can happen, we as a group seem to have a lot of the day and night covered and most times we are on top of it, but hey sometimes it happens and it is never personal.

Also their are times when we have a thread that is existing and someone creates another that has a simular angle or story but they think that the original has three pages and their point of view won't get attention so start a new thread, again if locked it's not personal, but if 10,000 members took that approach we would have a real messy board.

What we do is not an exact science anymore then raising a kid or having a relationship, lots of how toos but little practical information other then a guideline for what we hope to accomplish. We do our best and try to look at the big picture and health of the Forums.

Where I know many get their warm and fuzzies by being the first to find or post a news item and it is a great aspect of .Net that we have our members scouring the internet looking for these, having the news here is the real benefit for the membership, it is all appreciated and welcome.

^
This.

A lot of times the original topic poster won't be very clear about the subject.

Example: The title of the thread says "ZOMG AWESOME" when it should really say "Russell Wilson Signs Contact".

Sure, maybe the other one was first, but the second one has more posts/traffic.... maybe better spelling. For whatever reason, natural Internet selection has already decided for us in many cases which thread stays/goes. It's just a matter of house keeping.

SeaChase

Reaction score
I can't wait to test out a new thread that criticizes Wilsons play. Well that's if he doesn't perform to his new contract. Should be fun times.

impacthawk

Reaction score
I'm going to try and be completely honest here. As you can see by my start date on the left, I signed up here basically on the first day it was founded. Before that, I was on .Net at the Scout Site, and before that, when Todd ran the site independently. So I've been here now 15 or 16 years. As you can also see, I post about once a month here. There is a couple of reasons for this. First and foremost, I own my own business and I just don't have time to write and respond to posts. I do however have time to read them, and do so virtually once or twice each day.

The second reason is a problem (for me) though. As a fifty year old life long fan (I attended the first game in the Kingdome...and every game through the 1989 season), my tolerance level for "yelling" or ranting or debbie downers...what ever term you want to use, has greatly diminished. Now while I'm glad that fans have a place the feel they can come and freely express their emotions is great....but I do not enjoy participating in that aspect of this site.

Because of that, I avoid game day threads like the plague. There just not good for me. Also, after a loss, I will not come on here for at least a few days to let the chicken little's clear out a bit. Again...I'm glad they have a place to vent, it's just not my thing. I do think there are a lot of guys like me on this board. Guys that love all the insight and discussion, but don't like the negative aspects. That's totally cool though, as it seems most of us really just self monitor that behavior and just avoid it.

The great part about this site, and it's been this way since the beginning, is the vast majority on here are awesome. Respectful people that share a huge passion for the Seahawks. Even an older guy like me can tolerate a lose cannon now and again.....at least I know his / her heart is in the right place.

netskier

Reaction score
Why not create a new sub forum to implement Kearly's concept of an Anti-Shack for Elevated Discussion as he suggested in his post 29 in the current Kearly thread? I would strongly support this.

Rainger

Reaction score
Thanks HH :white_flag: < one of those who long ago stopped posting here other than infrequently and offering no opinion because opinions are not allowed here. (without being attacked) Good to hear the clean slate and I will watch the topics and responses to see it.

Hopefully your noble attempt at revitalizing the posts will bring Kearly out of retirement.

anonFAFA

Reaction score
I hope this works out. I know someone who told me about this site that many years ago he started posting here and was subtly personally attacked by one of the long term members. He responded in kind and received the all too famous post to his, "Check your PMs." He got chewed out for "personal attacks", but was merely standing up for himself. The other guy got let off.

He has since logged off and just reads the site for breaking news while watching the occasional drama for pure entertainment.

RastaHawk12!

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":2lb20b3q said:
With the beginning of the new season, we are going to wipe the slate clean. We are going to be a united front of 12's interacting and celebrating the Seahawks together. Peacefully, and with the utmost respect for one another.

Amen to that... well said, amigo.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
SEA!! HAWKS!! SEA!! HAWKS!! SEA!! HAWKS!!...that is how i yell...unless they throw the ball on the goal line in the super bowl...then its @$#^ ^&#^ #/^**&/$....

sc85sis

Reaction score
One suggestion I would like to submit for consideration is a 24-hour rule on post-game ranting if the Seahawks lose (or just generally don't play well but still eke out a win). That doesn't mean discussion can't continue after 24 hours--simply that the more negatively-toned rants need to stop at that point and more constructive discussion commence.

kidhawk

Reaction score
sc85sis":3mmdivhz said:
One suggestion I would like to submit for consideration is a 24-hour rule on post-game ranting if the Seahawks lose (or just generally don't play well but still eke out a win). That doesn't mean discussion can't continue after 24 hours--simply that the more negatively-toned rants need to stop at that point and more constructive discussion commence.

We do tend to leave the game day forum open a bit longer after losses. Hopefully people will take advantage of this and use that place to vent a bit more. I think this would be something that could work well for all sides.

chris98251

Reaction score
Ideally this is a great idea, but like going to a restaurant, you can control yourself but not other peoples kids.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
chris98251":3je43lh6 said:
Ideally this is a great idea, but like going to a restaurant, you can contriol yourself but not other peoples CATS.

Sorry Chris...but I had to do it. :mrgreen:

Meow.

grizbob

Reaction score
chris98251":6dx33ou6 said:
Ideally this is a great idea, but like going to a restaurant, you can contriol yourself but not other peoples kids.

You know Chris, I find it hard to take you seriously with your latest avatar staring at me :mrgreen:

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
I never post here anymore...I come here strictly for links to news not found on Seahawks.com.

Too many aggressive people with bad attitudes, that don't know how to have civil conversations. Then they hide behind the fact that "we're all fans here, so it's just part of the experience." It's bullshit, haha. Threads here can be rally embarrassing at times because of it.

Too much negativity for me, which sucks because there are a handful of great posters...it's just not worth it to spend time here.

GO HAWKS.

netskier

Reaction score
Suggested rules to enforce civility.

1. No name calling.

2. No motive impugning.

3. Forbid using personal pronoun "you".

4. No sarcasm. Sarcasm is " irony with intent to injure ", so forbid it.

5. No questioning of fanhood.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
sc85sis":2s2ofvnz said:

How are the mods suppose to enforce that?

Isn't that why we come here, to let out our frustrations and do some ranting to blow off steam after losses?

Positive threads and posts are cool too, but so is having a place where as fans we can commiserate and rant.

kidhawk

Reaction score
netskier":3cqhaccz said:
Suggested rules to enforce civility.

1. No name calling.

Generally covered under the no personal attacks conduct

2. No motive impugning.

Interesting idea

3. Forbid using personal pronoun "you".

Nice thought, but would make moderating nearly an impossible task as it's way too common of a word and not always used in a negative way

4. No sarcasm. Sarcasm is " irony with intent to injure ", so forbid it.

A bit toughter to call. Most sarcasm is alright, although some may use it to an extreme, it's too ambiguous to attempt to moderate as long as it remains within other rules such as the no personal attacks and such

5. No questioning of fanhood.

Again, already a rule. We aren't perfect and don't always see it, but if anyone else sees it, we would welcome a quick pm to any of the moderators as a head's up or just report the post.

I tried to make simple, yet quick replies to each item brought up. Basically it comes down to a balance between allowing expression and trying not to censor too much. It's an impossible task to keep everyone happy in a forum of this nature and size. We are constantly looking at what we do and how we do it and are open to suggestions (especially through PM).

Latest posts