Idaho @ Washington

hawknation2016

Reaction score
20/25, 237 yards, 9.5 yards per throw, 4 TDs.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/UW_Football/status/774739673310605312[/tweet]

JSeahawks

Reaction score
SeatownJay":mviaymxf said:
Huskies defense as advertised. 87 total yards allowed.

They look good, but we won't know if they're as advertised until the Arizona game at the earliest. Beating up on the bad teams has never been their problem. I'll give them credit though, they're doing what they're supposed to do.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Wow

5 TDs and 2nd for Ross. :irishdrinkers:

Jake Browning ties school record with five passing TDs.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2ymkwpyy said:
They look good, but we won't know if they're as advertised until the Arizona game at the earliest. Beating up on the bad teams has never been their problem. I'll give them credit though, they're doing what they're supposed to do.

1adv3l

JSeahawks

Reaction score
hawknation2016":13fxmfes said:
JSeahawks":13fxmfes said:

1adv3l

Hmmm... Nah.

At least looks like y'all might be competitive in the game this year, so that's a step in the right direction.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
JSeahawks":285032ch said:
hawknation2016":285032ch said:
JSeahawks":285032ch said:

1adv3l

Hmmm... Nah.

At least looks like y'all might be competitive in the game this year, so that's a step in the right direction.

It's only a matter of time. Chris Petersen is the superior coach.

kearly

Reaction score
Gaskin was worrying me, but he finally started looking like his old self after a sluggish start in his first 1.25 games.

Pretty much everyone thought that our WR corps depth would be an issue going into the year. Instead, it has looked like a real strength. McClatcher, Pettis, and Daniels all look like guys that deserve to have NFL auditions after college. Ross continues to be a force. Even our 5th and 6th string WRs have looked pretty good. Maybe it's a system thing? Whatever it is, UW's passing attack looks insanely good right now.

Browning doesn't have NFL tools but he does have an NFL mind. It wouldn't shock me if he puts up Vernon Adams type numbers this year, especially given the amount of hurry up UW is running.

UW has been passing a ton early in these games. It's clear that the offense goes through Browning.

Gaskin's backups have better physical tools than he does. Jomon Dotson in particular seems intriguing, he has the tools of an NFL player and his rushing instincts aren't bad. It was definitely a much better showcase for the running game against Idaho than it was against Rutgers.

kearly

Reaction score
hawknation2016":3gvqwcx2 said:
SeatownJay":3gvqwcx2 said:
Aww crap. John Ross just limped off the field. Looked like he took a hit to the same knee he injured last year.

Scott Eklund says traning staff not even looking at Ross on the sideline, so he's probably OK.

Exactly. Ross took a knee to the thigh, or a "deadleg" as they called it in my childhood days. Nothing serious at all, was never worried.

kearly

Reaction score
I know this sounds like hyperbole, but in terms of in the pocket passing, there are very few QB/WR combinations I would take over UW right now. Browning looks incredible, and our WR group is emerging as one of the best top to bottom. I know these opponents are chumps, but Browning is playing on a very high level right now and his receivers are really stepping up.

dogorama

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":zek7qkue said:
JSeahawks":zek7qkue said:
SeatownJay":zek7qkue said:
Huskies defense as advertised. 87 total yards allowed.

Beating up on the bad teams has never been their problem.

I'm not sure what far away planet you've been living on in the last decade, but barely squeaking by bad teams or even division 2 teams has been the UW's signature for for the first decade and a half. They've barely squeaked by Hawaii, Utah State, EW... struggled in the first half with Portland State, and an absolutely dreadful Illinois team, and early in the Sark era they needed a bunch of Pac home cooking from the officials to get up on this same Idaho team. ;)

My dogs (not dawgs) have had a really bad stretch but they have some history AND something no team in Arizona or Oregon will ever have: a perfect undefeated season in a major conference and a national championship trophy.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I refuse to get too excited, nope, nope not me.

But I do like seeing 59 being hung on someone.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
I was always against scheduling cupcakes, because I saw it as a threat to the quality of the game, but now I see the inherent advantage in it. Alabama wins a national title every year while playing eight home games.

What does this allow Washington to do? Ease in new starters, develop fundamentals, and build depth while resting starters. Arizona didn't look great either against Grambling State, so that's probably another fairly easy game for Washington while they gear up for Stanford and Oregon. Not bad for our only road game in September.

I think Stanford and Oregon are going to have a difficult task running against this defense.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Definitely looking good in a lot of areas, and I'm glad we've destroyed 2 ((weak) opponents in a row.

However, I am a bit concerned about the line play on both sides of the ball. If we wind up having to beat a team in the trenches this year, I sure hope we play better than we did against Idaho and Rutgers. We can't rely on speed alone to beat teams like Stanford and Oregon.

Also, tackling was a bit sloppy at times. Of course, at other times they were hitting guys so hard the ball was popping out, and I did like that.

Hope we keep improving.

dogorama

Reaction score
hawknation2016":2uk9zhyf said:
I was always against scheduling cupcakes, because I saw it as a threat to the quality of the game, but now I see the inherent advantage in it. Alabama wins a national title every year while playing eight home games.

What does this allow Washington to do? Ease in new starters, develop fundamentals, and build depth while resting starters. Arizona didn't look great either against Grambling State, so that's probably another fairly easy game for Washington while they gear up for Stanford and Oregon. Not bad for our only road game in September.

I think Stanford and Oregon are going to have a difficult task running against this defense.

I have mixed feelings about soft early schedules as well but DJ did the same thing and it worked quite well for us in those years. As for stopping the run, UW's line is huge! In the 3-4 the three down linemen go 971 lbs and they can run!