Identity? Running or Passing?

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
chris98251":yqbsjki7 said:
All we have to look at is Spencer Ware and Alex Collins, supposedly power type guys that could not gain yards here regularly, they had the power of a Lynch but not Lynchs wiggle or maybe attitude which masked what our real issue is.

Looking at our line how often do we see them move the line of scrimmage forward for our running backs ? Or get the surge so to speak driving the defense off the line which gives our backs some forward inertia to gain yards versus dodging guys before they reach the line.

Or gaping (or even ungaping) holes? I remember when Rawls took over for Lynch he had room to run. Since then our Line does not create holes. Kind of speaks to player as opposed to scheme.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
StoneCold":1c0y2cvr said:
CodeWarrior":1c0y2cvr said:
MontanaHawk05":1c0y2cvr said:
CodeWarrior":1c0y2cvr said:
Some of the blame can be placed on losing Carson, but then again we had a $4M RB in Lacy that wasn't even active. Just a well-rounded coaching failure.

That's what I was referring to. The team brought in seven RB's to compete, someone won pretty decisively and then got lost to injury.

You oughta know by now that I'm never one to lay everything on the OL. When Carson was running, the left tackle was most definitely not Duane Brown. He still got 3.7 YPC even without his big run. That showed promise.

I agree that it showed promise, but what really troubled me about the run game is the percentage of rushes that resulted in a loss of yards, usually due to the back being hit right as he takes the handoff. At that point it doesn't really matter the player.

Now, I have no data to back this up, but it seems to me like the Seattle OL blows assignments with inordinate frequency. Could just be my own bias as a fan, but with Tom Cable in position as OL coach since 2011 he should have a solid and tried approach to teaching at least the basics of assignment to the newcomers. Ifedi simply cannot get his down. Now, is he just a rockhead, or is the coaching subpar? I say the coaching because this is a story that has been repeated frequently during the Cable era.

This guys twitter feed has some egregious examples, but it's hard to tell is it player or is it scheme.

https://twitter.com/guga31bb

Thanks for that link, good info there.

Right at the top of his feed is a telling stat:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/guga31bb/status/947858654589603840[/tweet]

chris98251

Reaction score
StoneCold":vgs3ycya said:
chris98251":vgs3ycya said:
All we have to look at is Spencer Ware and Alex Collins, supposedly power type guys that could not gain yards here regularly, they had the power of a Lynch but not Lynchs wiggle or maybe attitude which masked what our real issue is.

Looking at our line how often do we see them move the line of scrimmage forward for our running backs ? Or get the surge so to speak driving the defense off the line which gives our backs some forward inertia to gain yards versus dodging guys before they reach the line.

Or gaping (or even ungaping) holes? I remember when Rawls took over for Lynch he had room to run. Since then our Line does not create holes. Kind of speaks to player as opposed to scheme.

You have to remember that we had Reece and used a power scheme with the I formation when Rawls was starting out as well.

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
chris98251":9rfmj8mc said:
StoneCold":9rfmj8mc said:
chris98251":9rfmj8mc said:

You have to remember that we had Reece and used a power scheme with the I formation when Rawls was starting out as well.

That is a pretty damning piece of info. I've heard several people mention "Power Scheme" vs "ZBS". "ZBS" doesn't seem to work for sh!t.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Kind of interesting, we want to be a smashmouth team.

We want to run the ball.

We CANNOT run the ball.

But we refuse to use a freaking FB to make it easier on the RB.

We have a coaching staff that wants to take a certain approach, but that approach does not match the personnel. That is being stubborn and stupid.

I actually believe that our RBs keep getting injured because we keep letting guys gang tackle them from odd angles because they are unblocked.

It isn't bad luck. It is the result of bad football.