If Holmgren Became the new 49ers Coach...

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Kaepernick is not a west coast QB. Wind up is too slow and long for those precise quick hitters.

I thought Holmgren wanted to angle for the SF job before he went to Clevland, but his timing between jobs was all wrong for the Singletary/Harbs time period. And SF didn't want a football czar.

Baalke and Holmgren couldn't co-exist any better than Ballke/Harbaugh. Holmgren overrode his entire scouting staff to take Colt McCoy and bragged about it. How is he going to accept a GM only giving him limited say on personnel?

I think the Niners stay in house. I may be off base, but they are going to cling to the vestiges of the current team, thinking it was an offensive philosophy that was the problem.

Largent80

Reaction score
If Holmy was coaching them I could learn to "hate" him, however, I don't see him being able to convert Kap into a throw to a spot QB over night.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
sc85sis":3e82u8bt said:
I can't see him wanting to play second fiddle to Balke.

It will be a huge mistake if Baalke isn't gone too. Many, myself included, think Baalke is the main problem.
I could easily see Holmy as GM and hiring his own staff.

But building a west coast offense vs our division of defenses is like an M.S. tug of war team.
This won't be pretty.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
I'll always like Holmgren, but I couldn't bring myself to find the contempt for that team considering they'd be far less threatening under his tutelage. Way out of date, imo. I would transfer all my anger to the Rams. Fisher is easy to despise :)

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Lets face it a lot of the fan rivalries between the two fan bases are due to the players. Mainly DB and RS and PC all have beef with Harbaugh (and Crabtree). Kaep is fun to hate on because of his image, but he has said nothing really, and no one has done much to him (except the choke sign from Sherman, which I'm sure Niner fans use as fuel for hatred). That being said if Holmgren became their coach. I think there is so much respect between Holmgren and PC, and Holmgren and our players that all the on/off field stuff that fuels the fans hatred of each other would slowly die out. In all honesty, as much as we like to point to the Niners as the rival, I truly think the hatred from the players if towards The Rams more than any other NFCW team. You can see it when they play. EVERY OTHER play ends with a scuffle when the Rams are in town.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
1. Gruden just signed a huge extension for MNF, so he's out.

2. If Holmgren does get hired, IMO it'd be more of a consulting role to try and fix Kaeperstink. I don't think Holmgren would mesh well with the goofball due of Baalke and York. He'd have York in a headlock smashing his head into a wall by week two of employment.

But I could definitely see Holmgren in some sort of QB coach/consultant role.

Hawks46

Reaction score
TheHawkster":2v13d7sk said:
sc85sis":2v13d7sk said:
I can't see him wanting to play second fiddle to Balke.

It will be a huge mistake if Baalke isn't gone too. Many, myself included, think Baalke is the main problem.
I could easily see Holmy as GM and hiring his own staff.

But building a west coast offense vs our division of defenses is like an M.S. tug of war team.
This won't be pretty.

That would be SF's biggest mistake of all, and I hope SF makes it. Baalke has done a first rate job of talent aquisition and drafting in SF, rivaling our drafts if not better at times. I honestly thought there would be a big drop off with their defense this year, yet Lynch and Borland came in and did incredibly well. Honestly, how many teams survive losing 2 players the caliber of Willis and Bowman, literally tearing the hear out of your defense, yet you play every bit as good as last year ? Hell, their secondary is better than last year and one of their starters is a guy that couldn't last a month here.

Holmgren the GM had a terrible draft record, both here and Cleveland. Surprisingly, his defensive picks in Cleveland ended up pretty good, which surprised me as he never seemed to care about the defense here. If we wanted the Niners to sink back to obscurity for the next decade, and squander all the talent they have on that team, firing Baalke and hiring Holmgren would be the way to do it.

I would like to see it for one reason: it would prove my theory of Holmgren's offenses vs. physical defenses. I would never be able to hate Holmgren though. If Holmgren hand't had recent success with us, and we continued our dumpster fire of awesomeness from the 90's, would Pete have jumped from college to us ? Think about it.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I've got a soft spot in my heart for MH but I'm with Zeb on this, I'd probably learn to dislike him. He's a good coach and I'm sure he would win his fair share against us.
That alone breeds contempt and contempt leads to hate.
If you ain't for us, you are against us.
I already hate him, if he applies for the job. JK
GOHAWKS.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I'd have no problem hating him. I hated him in Green Bay and I will hate him if he did go to San Francisco. I don't think it will happen because he wouldn't work well with Baalke likely San Francisco hires internally or another direction. If he did get hired it wouldn't go well for him in the division unless he had an Aaron Rodgers level quarterback because he is too offensively minded in a division that has the most physical and nasty defenses in the league. All of which are built or meant to be built to stop the pass especially Seattle.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I wouldn't dislike Holmgren. I'd continue to dislike the Niners, but just as I dislike them now, there are players who I do respect on that team. I don't root for them, but I don't hate them all.

Marvin49

Reaction score
As interesting as this sounds, I just don't see it happening.

I don't think they'll go after a big name ex-NFL coach. If they do Shanahan might be in play...but I kinda doubt that's what they'll do.

Both Shanahan and Holmgren have SF roots, but my guess is they go in-house (Fangio, Tomsula), college (Urban Meyer), or young OC (Pep Hamilton).

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Holmgren coaching the 9ers would be a beautiful thing.

He took a great Seahawks team on the verge of breaking into the playoffs, dismantled it and took 6 years to finally get to the Super Bowl. I could hang with him dismantling the 9ers and taking a while to make them a great WCO with decent, but not dominating defense. Meanwhile, we'll be winning Super Bowls with one less contender in our division.

The division's tough enough, let Holmgren dismantle SF.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I hated Holmgren when he was the Seahawks coach, hating him as the whiners coach will be no problem at all.

I put the chance of Baalke bringing him in at zero though. Baalke wants all the credit and he would never get it if Holmy was there.

They're gonna hire a no name coach that is doomed as long as Baalke is picking the players. I could see them bringing in a high profile coach after next season when they get rid of Baalke.

chris98251

Reaction score
If Holmgren took the job.

I think he may keep the defensive talent and a lot of the staff, he knows a good thing and his limitations.

On offense, he would trade Keap, he's not accurate or patioent or smart enough, Hasslebeck may get a stop gap starter position and be a mentor ala Dilfer, the future, well that would be hard to predict, Holmgren values intelligence and accuracy along with leadership. The search would start there. The line is decent, I think he could work with Hyde at least for now, The receivers have talent, he would bring the bar down on the BS and I think it would be fine.

The decision making would be the sticky point, Holmgren would want approval or say in the offense, call the plays and and want to be able to choose who he wants when he wants.

If he got that I could see him there.

Why Holmgren? 49ers have swung and missed on first time NFL coaches twice, Singletary and Harbaugh, where Harbaugh was not a bust, he was a handfull to manage.

Holmgren is a known commodity, experienced and comes from within the organazation. The Fans, Staff who remains and front office would give him instant respect, he has enough to work with to keep the team winning without it imploding.

Shanahan may be another option, but I think he will RGIII Kaep in short order, QB's don't have a long shelf life with him.

Kubiak is another possibility I think, WCO experienced, name coach, winner just not quite enough to be in the top tier.

Also you have a brand new stadium to fill, you want a name that will give you a good chancwe to win, you don't want to have empty seats and advertising and your luxery boxes vacant this early in the game of paying that thing down.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Thinking of Kaep in Holmy's WCO makes me giddy

The dude already can't go through his progressions.. now you're putting him in an offense that solely runs on timing and going through all your reads?

Good luck with that :lol:

Highly doubt it all happens though.. Holmgren is more of a gentleman than Harbaugh, but rest assured their egos are the same size. I said it in another Niners coaching thread.. but I really believe Baalke is Tim Ruskell 2.0 - Holmgren won't want to deal with that crap.

They will hire Tomsula, so Baalke can have more of a yes man at his power. Same thing Ruskell did with Holmgren/Mora. Same. Damn. Thing.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Doubt this ever happens cuz I suspect working for Baalke would be like Timmy 2.0 and I have no doubt the Walrus was not happy under Ruskell.

I would still hate the Whiners cuz of their douchebag fans, but no hate for Holmy.