If you could switch QBs with any other team, would you?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Not a chance. Wilson is a WINNER. The kid oozes magic. Each molecule of his is saturated in IT factor.

Luck and Rodgers are great, but neither of them has that imperceptible special quality Wilson does. It transcends far beyond the football field.

evergreen

Reaction score
Russell Wilson>all other QBs
Wouldn't you rather be paying 17 million to Sam Bradford this year? All RW did was win 28 games in two years with a two season 7-9 team. It helps that he's the best bargain QB in the history of the NFL. Ultimate underdog! Why not us!?

This is a special time for QBs in the NFL. I don't remember it ever being so rich. You have the two active Hall of Famers in Brady and Manning. Drew Brees is a HOFer and Aaron Rogers seems like it. Then Big ben and Eli are multiple super bowl winners probably be HOFers. We have established stars like Romo, Flacko, Ryan, and Rivers. And then the rising stars of the NFL. It's like the class of '83! Nick Foles, Ryan Tannehill, Cam Newton, RG III, Luck And Kaepernick are all young stars, leading teams to the playoffs (except Tannehill). So rich, and we have Russell Wilson. Too f@cking bad for everyone else! Suck it suckers! 4th and 7!!!

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think being around Russell helped guys like Earl and Golden become even better players than they would've been otherwise. I know Earl has mentioned this before. In terms of outspokenness and leadership, Earl has grown 110% since he started playing with Russell.

Would you get the same mystique of leadership out of any other young QB? Does anyone have as much "tilt the room" quality as Russell? He also has a unique "chip on the shoulder" quality that permeates throughout the rest of the team.

Russell is the man for the Seahawks. There can be no other.

TXHawk

Reaction score
I wouldn't trade him for any of the four elite QBs (Rodgers, Manning, Brees, Brady) because they are all on the wrong side of 30. If someone put a gun to my head I'd choose one of the younger QBs like Luck or Newton even though I think Russ is better than either of them. Frankly I can't think of anyone I'd rather have as QB of this team for now and the future.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I'd rather have never been born a Seahawks fan then to have to choose someone other than RW.

As for Luck, we've seen that he can take care of the football under the right coaching, but in those rare instances where Pete Carroll has cut RW loose to win games is where Luck would suddenly throw mega INTs. He'd forever be the most hyped, highest ceilinged game manager in the game because PC would learn his lesson and not cut him loose anymore.

Foles I don't trust, considering the competition and division he played in. Nice stats that would evaporate playing 6 NFC West games and a first place schedule.

As for the elite 4, we'd be mired in salary cap issues and their whining, and be beaten whenever we faced Russell Wilson.

Kaep would wilt under what's definitely not an elite OL, and can't throw a touch pass to save his life.

Cam would require far more option than we were willing to run this year. Then there's that immaturity problem.

Throwdown

Reaction score
kobebryant":1n7kzrze said:
Throwdown":1n7kzrze said:
I question your morality if you'd take Rodgers anywhere near this team unless it's him and his packers getting curb stomped by us

Rodgers is relatively young, a clutch champion, and has the most complete skill set of any QB in the game. There is nothing immoral about being objective.

It's not about his talent, it's about him being far and away the biggest chump in the NFL. I can't stand the guy.

Throwdown

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":10n3zd0h said:
I'll take Fran Tarkenton Jr. over anybody else in the NFL...even Matt Flynn ;) (that was for Throwdown who probably would have banned me back in the day)

Lol man those "start matt Flynn" posts really got to me back early in that 2012 season.

theascension

Reaction score
Quarterbacks are the odd duck in football in that even the most average athlete (Tom Brady got a 5.2 in the 40, Peyton is a statue and rarely throws deep balls anymore) can become one of the best quarterbacks of all time. A huge part of the success of a quarterback relies on their intelligence and football intuition (making proper reads and decisions). The only other quarterback I see with that is Rodgers, statistically he's the most efficient of all time thus far. However coach quarterback chemistry is very important as well, all the best have had great relationships with their coach. Russell and Pete are no different to me than Payton/Brees, Belichuck/Brady, etc. Together they just have that extra something, so no I think you wouldn't trade for anyone past present or future.

DeathbyTalons

Reaction score
suppaball":3puagyv3 said:
Basis4day":3puagyv3 said:
Hawkalypse":3puagyv3 said:
All those guys, save Brady, were all first round picks. We drafted what will be the greatest third round pick of all time. We hit on the ultimate power-ball ticket when JS and PC ran up to the podium with that pick. The other guys are too old, too expensive and just don't have the 'Seattle QB' aura that Russ exudes. Matt (personality) had it, Dr. Dave (toughness, grit and went to a school that no longer exists) had it and, even though i've never seen him play, Zorn (hippy mentality) had it. Forget the SPARQ meter, Russ is off the charts on the SEA-meter, no other QB will be acceptable.

That would be good company when looking at 1979 / Round: 3 / Pick: 82
A guy called Montana, Joe Montana.
Yeah.....I still stand my assertion. Russ is the genetically engineered spawn of two HOF QB's: Joe Montana and Fran Tarkenton. It's only year two and the guy has a championship on the resume. Russ will only get better, so the rest of the world get ready to have the current paradigm shattered. Fellow long time 12s prepare yourself for yet even more bandwagon types waving 12 flags by the end of this-whether we are located in south Alaska or not. By the time our fourth Lombardi is encased at the VMAC, that will be proof.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Our guy is a custom fit for our team. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I wouldn't trade him for anyone and I wouldn't trade our back up for any other back up or most other starters.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
If I were a Hawks fan the only two people I'd consider would be Rodgers or Luck.

Downside for Rodgers: The only downside is that he's 30 y/o and is just coming off his first major injury. He's the best QB in the NFL, and it's not even close IMO. He makes a rotating cast of mediocre WRs look like pro-bowlers, and the team around him just isn't very good. The only problem is you may be only getting four more years of him as the best QB in the NFL.

Downside for Luck: He's still overrated due to being "the best QB prospect ever." He has played in two entirely different offenses in two years and while I think he was better the second year, he still wasn't spectacular. The major downside is that everyone insists that all young players "develop", and the vast majority of young players don't significantly develop. With Luck what you see might be what you get, and right now I don't prefer him to Wilson. On the plus side he's performing at a similar level to Wilson on a much inferior team, and more is also asked of him.

Downside for Wilson: It's the same thing as Luck, or Kaepernick, or Griffin or Newton: everyone expects that all of these guys will "develop" as a matter of course, but that just doesn't always happen. Wilson benefits from playing on the best all around team on the NFL, which hides his flaws more than these other guys. More than anything to be a top QB he'll have to learn how to climb the pocket, and he'll also need to be consistent with his accuracy (he's very streaky, IMO). Of all of these guys, for better or for worse, while no doubt a great kid and GREAT person to have on one's team, I'm not sure he's a leader in the traditional sense of how you traditionally want your QB to be a leader. That's not a negative, it's just not a positive. Like Luck even if what we see is what we get with him he's still very, very good but we might already know what Wilson can and can't do, just like we might already know what Luck can and can't do. In picking Wilson you're taking the risk.

OVERALL: Wilson is my favorite of the young QBs. He had an awful six week stretch last year but he's still my favorite of the young QBs. That said, with Rodgers I honestly think the Hawks could mortgage the future and have a real chance of winning five Super Bowls in a row. The overall team is that good, and Rodgers is that good. With Rodgers I think the Hawks would be real contenders for being the best team in the history of the game. They could be the NFL equivalent of the 1936-1943 Yankees. I really like Wilson a lot, but you just have to go Rodgers. Winning Super Bowls is too hard and too much changes. Assuming that Wilson develops and picking Wilson in deference to what the team will look like in 2019 and on just has way too many variables to make me comfortable.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
TXHawk":13lxubd2 said:
If someone put a gun to my head I'd choose one of the younger QBs like Luck or Newton even though I think Russ is better than either of them.

Real logic there. :34853_doh:

seahawks08

Reaction score
ZagHawk":2t0khgfy said:
I like RW better than the other QBs and he's worked so well for this system (obviously). However, the potential is there for the other QBs to be better than RW, and I think JS and PC could make a player like RG3 play to his full potential. There are also a lot of other factors that make this realistic such as the salary cap.

i.e. If you're not willing to take Rodgers over Wilson, you're blind. Could you imagine the threat of an elite QB like Rodgers (who is also mobile) combined with our current running game. The Seahawks are already great, but they would be SCARY at this point. However, Rodgers cost way more money than Wilson, and therefore you have salary cap issues, which is why if you have a QB like Rodgers (Peyton, Brady) you can't have teams that surround them like this current Hawks team.

But salary cap aside, if we were to just keep the same exact team and trade QBs. Yeah, Luck, Rodgers, maybe even RG3 or Cam would be my picks. I think we still need a mobile QB threat to make the system work. Rodgers is obviously a better passer than RW, Luck I'm still on the fence because of his interceptions. The others have more POTENTIAL than RW and I think our coaching staff could make them greater than what RW is currently doing. That's my 2 cents. I love Russell Wilson, but the OP asked an honest question and I'm giving an honest answer.

Rogers is mobile? I don't recall him being mobile and even if he did, his accuracy in scrambling was an issue, but he is a great accurate QB unless the opposing team has a good pass rush. In todays world GB would lose to all NFC west teams so, he single handedly won't be able to carry GB to a win in my opinion

ZagHawk

Reaction score
seahawks08":bhogu0du said:
ZagHawk":bhogu0du said:
I like RW better than the other QBs and he's worked so well for this system (obviously). However, the potential is there for the other QBs to be better than RW, and I think JS and PC could make a player like RG3 play to his full potential. There are also a lot of other factors that make this realistic such as the salary cap.

i.e. If you're not willing to take Rodgers over Wilson, you're blind. Could you imagine the threat of an elite QB like Rodgers (who is also mobile) combined with our current running game. The Seahawks are already great, but they would be SCARY at this point. However, Rodgers cost way more money than Wilson, and therefore you have salary cap issues, which is why if you have a QB like Rodgers (Peyton, Brady) you can't have teams that surround them like this current Hawks team.

But salary cap aside, if we were to just keep the same exact team and trade QBs. Yeah, Luck, Rodgers, maybe even RG3 or Cam would be my picks. I think we still need a mobile QB threat to make the system work. Rodgers is obviously a better passer than RW, Luck I'm still on the fence because of his interceptions. The others have more POTENTIAL than RW and I think our coaching staff could make them greater than what RW is currently doing. That's my 2 cents. I love Russell Wilson, but the OP asked an honest question and I'm giving an honest answer.

Rogers is mobile? I don't recall him being mobile and even if he did, his accuracy in scrambling was an issue, but he is a great accurate QB unless the opposing team has a good pass rush. In todays world GB would lose to all NFC west teams so, he single handedly won't be able to carry GB to a win in my opinion

Mobile as is in he CAN run vs Brady and Manning. RW has by far the best scrambling ability of all the current NFL QBs. But to my understanding he also holds onto the ball longer than any of the other QBs as well. Don't get me wrong, how can you not be thankful for a QB who just broke records and won a super bowl. But the question is purely a hypothetical. Much in the same everyone on this team just won a SB, but who wouldn't like the idea (if there was no salary cap issue involved) trading a few players just for thought of an even crazier team. i.e. Golden Tate for Calvin Johnson? it's just a fun thought.

Tokadub

Reaction score
No other QB in the entire league could have carried us to #1 NFC seed behind our garbage offensive line. Russell is the best mobile QB in the league hands down and with our crap offensive line that's the only way we could win.

Great thing about Russell is that he'd be even more effective with a solid offensive line when he doesn't have to run for his life every play.

I have faith we will make the proper off season moves so we won't have the worst pass protection offense in the entire league again...

If we keep Golden Tate and Harvin somehow stays healthy Wilson will be MVP next season if we can get a top 10 offensive line.

Tokadub

Reaction score
ZagHawk":26yc3l6s said:
i.e. If you're not willing to take Rodgers over Wilson, you're blind.

No offense, I hate to call out my fellow Hawk Brethren but I really think you are downright bat#*&% crazy :)

Aaron Rodgers mobility is not even comparable to Russel's. If Rodgers was our QB you could tack on at least 10 more sacks allowed to our season total, probably more.

When you consider how many times Russell had to throw the ball out of bounds because our offensive line let guys run full steam at him untouched... his completion percentage is nutty good. Most other QB's would of tried to force the throws racking up interceptions, fumbles, and sacks.

Russell is THE best scrambling QB with one of the best Touchdown to interception rates/ and he really protects the ball yet we still allowed an atrocious amount of sacks on him.

Almost any other QB would have been entirely useless behind our O-line last season. Kiss the #1 NFC seed goodbye you would be lucky to make the playoffs in NFC West.

The ONLY QB out of your list that I consider to be not a joke is Rodgers because he's legit. I still don't think he has enough mobility to survive behind our O-line last year. I also think Russell is a very comparable passer and may prove to be superior given his amazing start on a run oriented team. When Russel's having a good day you might as well pack it up, dude does not miss.

Luck, RGIII, and Newton would have gotten destroyed. I'd pick Luck out of those 3 but Russell is clearly better.

So once again, not to call you out personally I'm open to read all opinions that's why I'm here. But I think choosing anyone other than maybe Rodgers from your list is 100% nuts. I would never take Rodgers over Wilson for our system.

I think Wilson will have a better career than Rodgers in the end, no comparison. He's sure off too a much better start as Rodgers sat on the bench for at least 2 seasons...

Latest posts