If YOU were Hawks O.C. for this Game

McGruff

Reaction score
I have no idea what I would do, but it would probably suck, and we would lose, because the NFL is, like, hard and stuff.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
One wrinkle I'd like to see Bevell use thanks to the rampant jet sweeps and bubble screens is to fake a jet, or pump fake on the bubble and send Richardson/Lockette/Kearse deep down the field. You know the defense will be expecting these things and one of the only good things that could arise from Bevell's predictability is that Bevell has created a great opportunity to try and use that against a defense.

I suspect we see a similar offense to what we had against Denver though.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Shawn would have more than 10 carries for starters.

I don't know how to make the WRs do their jobs and be more consistent with their hands. I would put emphasis on this. I would also work on being active while the play is still alive.

I'd work on getting Willson the ball more, work him down middle a lot. It's been working against Seattle, something tells me Pete can put his twist on it and make it work against his opponents. I would love to see us actually dominate the intermediate to long(ish) passing game.

The Jet and bubblescreens get used in the second half, after Money Lynch has taken every bit of life from the defense. Percy's speed would be untouchable at this point. Throw Richardson to the wolves and see if he can take advantage of the situation. He may be a rook, but he wouldn't be tired (advantage?) and he could go unnoticed if Shawn, Russ, and Harv are setting the tone.

IN SHORT. Ground and pound with Shawn and work on taking more risks.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Rams were up 21 on Dal-ASS and folded like a Costco sample table.

While they do have Quinn, they also have Jenkins, and if you watched on Monday, I would say regardless of Quinn, the 9ers with Alladin at QB, made them pay.

With that in mind, I'm still calling 38 consecutive bubble screens because at least one will work.

XOXO

John Hadl

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Largent80":3e84hm3o said:
Rams were up 21 on Dal-ASS and folded like a Costco sample table.

While they do have Quinn, they also have Jenkins, and if you watched on Monday, I would say regardless of Quinn, the 9ers with Alladin at QB, made them pay.

With that in mind, I'm still calling 38 consecutive bubble screens because at least one will work.

XOXO

John Hadl
XOXO

Joe Namath

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I'd run a fake fly sweep to Harvin and hit single covered Baldwin on a skinny post for a TD!

XOXO

Not Darrel Bevell

Treghc

Reaction score
I know a lot of people want no screens and no jet sweeps, but I think a huge part of what has been successful for our offense this season is actually running jet sweeps. If we want to be deceptive, having the jet sweep option leaves three possibilities:
Jet sweep run
Run up the middle
Play action pass

There were pretty much no jet sweeps for Harvin for the entire Dallas game. Running those types of read option plays helps keep a defense honest and forces adjustments on the fly that can lead to mistakes. Plus, for every time it's ran, the defense has a 33% chance of even guessing the right play to cover.

Of course, I would like to see more short to mid-range passes, but if Harvin is going to be in, make use of him. Run him on jet sweep options and either give him the ball or don't and use him as a decoy. These plays were key to the dominate win against Green Bay as well as to beating Denver.

Spread the defense out horizontally and run the ball up the middle. If they tend to rush the middle, then let the jet sweep go. Sprinkle in some play action with the same exact jet sweep look to keep the defense guessing.

Of course, I'd add in more straight gut runs by Lynch and traditional passing, but I honestly think people aren't finding the significance with the jet sweep when it's run multiple times in a game. If I recall correctly, the only jet sweep in the entire Dallas game was given to Walters.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Try to establish the run game. Use some read/triple option and throw screens (of the non-bubble variety) and slants. Mix in play action and take some chances deep to keep them from stacking the box. Mix run plays out of shotgun and i formation. Run different plays out of similar formations. Run the same play out of multiple formations. Mix it up. We're becoming too predictable.

chris98251

Reaction score
Bunch formations and split backfield with Coleman and Lynch, routes vary between receivers almost every snap, crossing natural picks and fly as well as hooks and outs, use screens with Coleman and Lynch also or Keep them in to pass block. Also line Russell up under Center more and make him drop and fire as well as hit deep patterns with the extra two blockers.

He needs a Pocket we just need to make sure he has one, then you can change it up to designed roll outs.

All the while using Lynch and Coleman in Run plays out of the same formations.

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
I pull out all the stops and put a whooping on the rams. The bully (us) got beat at our own game against Dallas and they punched us in the mouth when that's usually our way of doing things. It's as if we lost our swagger. So with that said I open the playbook way up, hang a 40+ spot on them and make a statement to the rest of the NFL that "we aren't back, we never left."

AgentDib

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":b8yx2p2x said:
I would call plays that work instead of ones that don't.
Well Gregg Williams would be expecting that strategy. Try calling plays that don't work and the surprise factor will pay off down the road.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I would run plays that have a 100% success rate. But because this strategy still only gets Marshawn 5 carries, albeit for 5 TDs, people would still be calling for my head because we would still get killed in the T.O.P. battle and I would still get blamed for the defense not being to get off of the field on 3rd down because we scored too quickly.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
What I would like to do is to line up on first down with Harvin & Lockett split wide and send them both on go patterns and let Russ chuck it just to see how the safety's react.

The smart call though is to help our Oline get into rhythm by lining up and power rushing with the beast mode. We also have to deal with inexperience at center. It would be a good idea to make his line call's a bit easier to start with. Getting Willson some easy catches early wouldn't hurt either.

A

Anonymous

Simple, I would do the following:

1.) Watch several hours of film of the opposing team's defense, in as many games with the same personnel playing as possible. I will pay particular attention to which offensive attacks presented the biggest challenge to the defense I will be facing.
2.) I would instruct my staff of analysts to assemble several matrices based on the collection of data ascertained from the film study. Statistics regarding which routes and formations worked the best to gain as much yardage as possible against that defense, which players do what when they see what, stunts used, and which players make the most mistakes and/or have physical shortcomings. Everything that was run against that defense and what plays and looks were both successful and unsuccessful against them will be scrutinized.
3.) I would then compare the results of that thorough defensive analysis to my own offense's capabilities, and what was found to be both successful or unsuccessful against similar defenses and/or similar looks/schemes.
4.) I would compile the data to form a NEW system of formations and personnel groupings from which a series of offensive plays can be drawn up based on down and distance, time remaining, defensive personnel, and the possible defensive alignments based on which personnel, (etc.). In doing so, I will change the names, signals, routes, assignments, and responsibilities of as many plays as possible so as to present an offensive attack that will be as different and uncharacteristic as possible from previous games from which film was obtained.
5.) I will design a system of adjustments to allow for unforeseen circumstances that may occur during the game that differ from the results of the established defensive data. This system will be simple audible changes that can be made at the line of scrimmage, pre-snap, as the defense is read by the quarterback.
6.) I would conduct a meetings, walk-thru's and practices to insure all players and coaches are on the same exact page.
8.) As the game is underway, I will instruct my analysts to chart results of each offensive play and the defense that was employed against it. The real-time results will be constantly fed to me, using the latest digital technology, so as to gauge the effectiveness of the plan.
9.) Throughout the course of the game, I will make whatever changes or adjustments are necessary to take full advantage of any and all opportunities or complications that have occurred that deviate from the plan. I will put the ball in the hands of my best players while putting them in the best possible place to succeed by taking advantage of their individual strengths with absolutely no consideration to fantasy football, player contracts, or individual statistics.

McGruff

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":w5figjfv said:
Simple, I would do the following:

1.) Watch several hours of film of the opposing team's defense, in as many games with the same personnel playing as possible. I will pay particular attention to which offensive attacks presented the biggest challenge to the defense I will be facing.
2.) I would instruct my staff of analysts to assemble several matrices based on the collection of data ascertained from the film study. Statistics regarding which routes and formations worked the best to gain as much yardage as possible against that defense, which players do what when they see what, stunts used, and which players make the most mistakes and/or have physical shortcomings. Everything that was run against that defense and what plays and looks were both successful and unsuccessful against them will be scrutinized.
3.) I would then compare the results of that thorough defensive analysis to my own offense's capabilities, and what was found to be both successful or unsuccessful against similar defenses and/or similar looks/schemes.
4.) I would compile the data to form a NEW system of formations and personnel groupings from which a series of offensive plays can be drawn up based on down and distance, time remaining, defensive personnel, and the possible defensive alignments based on which personnel, (etc.). In doing so, I will change the names, signals, routes, assignments, and responsibilities of as many plays as possible so as to present an offensive attack that will be as different and uncharacteristic as possible from previous games from which film was obtained.
5.) I will design a system of adjustments to allow for unforeseen circumstances that may occur during the game that differ from the results of the established defensive data. This system will be simple audible changes that can be made at the line of scrimmage, pre-snap, as the defense is read by the quarterback.
6.) I would conduct a meetings, walk-thru's and practices to insure all players and coaches are on the same exact page.
8.) As the game is underway, I will instruct my analysts to chart results of each offensive play and the defense that was employed against it. The real-time results will be constantly fed to me, using the latest digital technology, so as to gauge the effectiveness of the plan.
9.) Throughout the course of the game, I will make whatever changes or adjustments are necessary to take full advantage of any and all opportunities or complications that have occurred that deviate from the plan. I will put the ball in the hands of my best players while putting them in the best possible place to succeed by taking advantage of their individual strengths with absolutely no consideration to fantasy football, player contracts, or individual statistics.

All while conducting mandatory interviews with the press, volunteering in the community, and maintaining a vibrant home/work life balance. Piece of cake!