Ifedi at RG

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
McGruff":39ajclxi said:
TeamoftheCentury":39ajclxi said:
PC said they want to get bigger. Ifedi will play RG and Webb RT. Don't count out Odhiambo at LG. Glowinski is similar size at 6-4/310 (Rees is 6-4/314) and has a year of experience with the Hawks, but the rookie 3rd rounder is going to compete at LG per PC.

Center will be interesting. That could be a wide open position for whichever player can take it. I think Joey Hunt may be given a great opportunity. Reading about him http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/4/30/114 ... d-pick-215 , he sounds like the right Center to learn on the job how to battle and limit the likes of Aaron Donald, etc.

There's a lot of underground rumblings about Justin Britt at center. Hawkblogger was one, but I surprised to hear John Clayton mention it as well.

The thought had crossed my mind about taking Britt out of the guard competition and trying him at center, but I'm no offensive line guru. Just an uneducated guess of mine. Maybe it'd work.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":13l4rvjt said:
.............Don't count out Odhiambo at LG. Glowinski is similar size at 6-4/310 (Rees is 6-4/314) and has a year of experience with the Hawks, but the rookie 3rd rounder is going to compete at LG per PC.

Center will be interesting. That could be a wide open position for whichever player can take it. I think Joey Hunt may be given a great opportunity. Reading about him http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/4/30/114 ... d-pick-215 , he sounds like the right Center to learn on the job how to battle and limit the likes of Aaron Donald, etc.
Agree with you on both points. And I don't buy Britt at C. Maybe an attempt to keep from having to cut a guy they spent a 2nd on and has failed in the 2 positions he's played thus far?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I think the Seahawks believe in Webb, hes been working hard this off-season getting in phenomenal shape. How many guys listed 325 plus have ab definition? I feel Cable will bring the best out of Webb, who is also the the Seahawks most experienced guy.

I also think this team knows Ifedi can play RT and knows what Glowinski brings to RG. However, they want versatility and competition. They want Glowinski being able to play that LG spot as well as that RG spot. They want to see what Ifedi brings to the table at OG and get him experience there.

Ifedi might have a better chance starting his first year inside than outside and allow him to get Pro Reps.

I think Ifedi is probably as far as long as year 3 Sweezy. I guy who had technique issues and fundmental flaws, was still raw, but physically dominant. Year 3 off-season was also when Sweezy added 20 pounds to 320. Ifedi is already 324 and considered one of the top sparq and TEF athletes of the draft. So the comp fits.

I think they feel Glow is the best OG on the team, and giving him every chance possible to earn a starting role.

I dont think they trust Britt, this is a guy who could be very good if he just put work in his overall strength and technique but he doesnt look any stronger heading into year 3 than he did year 1. I know he has a little girl and a pregnant wife but players become good and then great by putting in work every single day of the year. I just dont think he gets that yet which is the biggest reason he hasnt taken a step-up in his development.

It would be interesting to see if those Britt to OC rumblings are true, it could explain the drop in weight and adding an elite ZBS technician like Hunt to the mix who can be a mentor by example type.

I would be intrigued with Britt at OC if the only positive things he has shown here is hes solid at combo blocks and hes a hunter when he gets into the 2nd level.

All of this pushes the competition to LG and OC if Ifedi can pan out at RG. There are a lot of bodies in that mix, hopefully competition prevails to maximizing talent.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think Ifedi profiles more as a RT based on my limited perspective. His most immediate strength -- his length and ability to use it -- would really benefit him more as a tackle, I think. Conversely, some of his technique issues with leverage and questions about his ability to overpower defenders may hurt him as a Guard.

Relying on Webb is a whole 'nother can of issues. A lot of experience, sure, but a lot of bad tape to go with it.

Britt at OC sounds like a nightmare.

kearly

Reaction score
HawkGA":3k3idfyt said:
kearly":3k3idfyt said:
Webb also has 36" arms and has some similarities to Ifedi. Webb has six years NFL experience playing at tackle. I'm guessing that Ifedi will be our right tackle of the future, but Webb has a significant edge in terms of experience so it makes sense to give Webb the first crack at RT in 2016.

I really hope Glow can stick at LG.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I remember you or somebody else describing at the end of the season how Glo doesn't really fit what they look for in an LG. Am I remembering that correctly?

Last year I was lobbying to get Glow looks at LG since Britt was so awful. Other posters correctly pointed out that Seattle tends to prefer heavier guys at LG and lighter guys at RG, and Glow is a lighter type.

Now it seems this has switched, with Ifedi (heavy) going to RG and Glow (light) competing at LG.

kearly

Reaction score
McGruff":106udabp said:
There's a lot of underground rumblings about Justin Britt at center. Hawkblogger was one, but I surprised to hear John Clayton mention it as well.

Britt at center is pretty interesting to think about. He's more powerful and athletic than Hunt, Nowak and Lewis. He's very unlikely to get schooled around the edge by nose tackles, and if he goes up against Aaron Donald, he'd have double team help.

sam1313

Reaction score
:13:
DavidSeven":2b6rra06 said:
I think Ifedi profiles more as a RT based on my limited perspective. His most immediate strength -- his length and ability to use it -- would really benefit him more as a tackle, I think. Conversely, some of his technique issues with leverage and questions about his ability to overpower defenders may hurt him as a Guard.

Relying on Webb is a whole 'nother can of issues. A lot of experience, sure, but a lot of bad tape to go with it.

Britt at OC sounds like a nightmare.
:13:

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Britt steadily improved throughout the season to being league average at LG. I think he can potentially stay there and eventually, unless Webb plays like a stud Glowinski and Ifedi will the RG and RT by the end of the season. Don't get me wrong, I think Glowinski can push Britt but I think Britt starts the season at LG.

I think RG is just temporary to get Ifedi acclimated to to life in the NFL and allow him to focus on technique (which he probably lacks (based on the scheme he was in college) from a position that is less demanding.

Jville

Reaction score
Starting Ifedi's career at right guard is a departure from how they began with Carpenter and Britt. They now have better depth to support that approach. Perhaps the results will be better and pay dividends sooner this time around.

The length Webb and Ifedi bring to the right side of the line may be unprecedented. It is greater than what we saw on the left side with the Okung / Carpenter combo.

Given that Webb is a recovering alcoholic (26 months and counting), his future looks very ..... very promising.

A Webb / Ifedi combo looks rather intriguing.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Why Ifedi not at LT? I do believe he has the potential to be a really good son that side. When he was drafted, I shouted "My future LT!". :D

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
raisethe3":2x6ir9a9 said:
Why Ifedi not at LT? I do believe he has the potential to be a really good son that side. When he was drafted, I shouted "My future LT!". :D
No, they were asked about that and there's no expectation for him to compete at LT. Doesn't mean it couldn't eventually be tried for some reason. But, it's unlikely. Google it and you'll find out why.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
kearly":3oqued48 said:
McGruff":3oqued48 said:

Britt at center is pretty interesting to think about. He's more powerful and athletic than Hunt, Nowak and Lewis. He's very unlikely to get schooled around the edge by nose tackles, and if he goes up against Aaron Donald, he'd have double team help.

Definitely interesting....but can he snap the ball adequately? We all know that Nowak failed in that dept. Britt just doesn't seem like a smart guy based on his interviews, etc. He very well could be Einstein too and just doesn't show well in interviews, etc.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
kearly":2npwsp6v said:
HawkGA":2npwsp6v said:
kearly":2npwsp6v said:
Webb also has 36" arms and has some similarities to Ifedi. Webb has six years NFL experience playing at tackle. I'm guessing that Ifedi will be our right tackle of the future, but Webb has a significant edge in terms of experience so it makes sense to give Webb the first crack at RT in 2016.

I really hope Glow can stick at LG.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I remember you or somebody else describing at the end of the season how Glo doesn't really fit what they look for in an LG. Am I remembering that correctly?

Last year I was lobbying to get Glow looks at LG since Britt was so awful. Other posters correctly pointed out that Seattle tends to prefer heavier guys at LG and lighter guys at RG, and Glow is a lighter type.

Now it seems this has switched, with Ifedi (heavy) going to RG and Glow (light) competing at LG.

I wonder if this has less to do with philosophy and more to do with just how the balance and quality of the line is going to shake out. In years past, Okung was basically the anchor of the line so they wanted to build around him and put their beef around him. Now since it sounds like Ifedi is going to be on the right side regardless (and Okung is gone) that the anchor of their line will simply be on the right so that is where they want to concentrate their beef. No sense putting big next to Gilliam and having almost an alternating patter of big, small, big, small. Better to have big, big, small, small. Just a thought.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Maybe JS could pull off a trade of Britt to Chicago (since they cut Slauson) for a 5th round pick to recoup that 2017 4th rounder traded to the Patriots to move up for Jefferson.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":30k8wc5r said:
Maybe JS could pull off a trade of Britt to Chicago (since they cut Slauson) for a 5th round pick to recoup that 2017 4th rounder traded to the Patriots to move up for Jefferson.

It would have just been better to trade Britt to the Patriots so they could have two highly drafted underwhelming ex-NFC West talents compete against each other for the right to draft Q Jefferson.