I'm so tired of bevell....

pehawk

Reaction score
I give credit to Bevell for that Farve season, because well, that's him. The routes we're simple and required random plays from a ballin Farve and a ballin Sidney. Aka, 2012 and 2013 Seahawks.

I know I'm suppose to act like my criticisms are reactionary and rube like, but, the above is why I hated the hire. I said then "his offense was based on scramble drills and Rice having the best jumpball year in recent memory, with a top 5 offensive roster".

What we see now is Bevell. A hodgepodge of simple routes contingent upon Herculian efforts from his QB and WR's most of the time.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
I think the routes/route running is what bothers me most about our offense. DB's look like they're hardly trying and get blanket coverage. Covering our wideouts looks way too easy.

pehawk

Reaction score
I'm in the minority here, but I like the Hawks offensive personnel. I like the WRs. Doug can be the best slot guy in the game.

X and O guys in the media routinely point too the simplicity of the routes. Maybe that's moot when you have a Sidney Rice doing dirty work, or, who knows what.

I don't know enough to say who's better, but, i do know Bates grinded out a passing attack with the inferior 2010 team. And I've seen Bevell hit a groove a time or two as well.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
I like the personnel too, for the most part. Losing Sid, Golden & Zach has been really hard on our passing game. It would be nice if, coming down the stretch here, they were able to finally get into some kind of passing rhythm. I'm still holding out hope for it.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":2s7ovgtx said:
X and O guys in the media routinely point too the simplicity of the routes. Maybe that's moot when you have a Sidney Rice doing dirty work, or, who knows what.

This. I see a lot of simple stuff, and yep, Sidney was one of the best at extending a play and making something out of nothing. Tate wasn't bad either, but now we're pretty much down to Doug. Kearse tends to head north, whilst I don't see much chemistry between Prich and Russ at this stage.

I'll grant that Bevell's in a pretty tough spot and we probably can't afford to be too complex with our WR corps. Doug's effectiveness lessens when you make him the main guy on the outside, but Russ isn't going to get a lot of productivity out of a short guy running routes behind the line of scrimmage.

I can't imagine how frustrating the Percy ordeal was. Bevs must have spent some time drawing up plays and judging the right time to use them only for Percy to hold himself out. Though I would argue the ones we did see were pretty vanilla and didn't take us very far.

What frustrates me is that we don't seem to be trying to do anything new at all. I, like a few people have been frustrated with Richardson's production (or lack of it), but it's not really surprising when we stick him out there to dry, running a combination of very little.

I saw a breakdown of Baldwin's big catch against KC over on fieldgulls and it was actually an example of the type of thing we should be doing with Prich a little more. It's pretty much shallow crossing route where Prich lines up to the right at flanker and Marshawn's inside as a kind of flex.

I don't have the screenshots but we stack our options to the left in the form of Helfet, Kearse and Doug. Richardson has a clean release whilst Lynch puts a little push on the DE before hooking to the right. It seems to freeze the linebackers and Richardson is able to run across the middle completely open whilst Lynch gets covered. The protection is good and Russell steps up in the pocket. Unfortunately for Paul, as he turns up-field (completely open), Doug shakes his guy off and Russ hits him (he was about 10 yards deeper).

Had Doug not got free, Russ would have probably (hopefully) thrown that ball to a wide open Richardson, with a massive chunk of the field open to the right. It could have been a 30 yard gain at the least, and had Paul beaten the open safety covering the right (the safety's left), he might have taken it 96 yards to the house.

I guess the point was that sending a guy like Lynch across Paul might well have the affect of freezing a defense, by which point he (Richardson) is long gone. Whereas a lot of what I'm seeing is Richardson in isolation.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1yg5yywe said:
Teams that do well in the red zone are teams with playmakers that can use their athletic ability, height, body size, etc to win matchups. We faired better last year because Miller is a very good red zone target, and so was Rice.

This year? who do we have that can make a play in the red zone? NOBODY. It's either hope Russell outruns somebody, or Lynch can find some daylight. Our primary receivers are small and slow, not the best combo for winning matchups or breaking down zone defenses.
EXACTLY why the fade to Baldwin was such a totally shit call. Doug's a fine slot receiver, but NOT a fade catching type because he doesn't have the "height" and "athletic ability" to make that play. Bevell is part of the issue in the red zone in particular and on that play for sure. But I also agree that some of it is personnel too. We simply do not have a solid red zone receiving threat.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2tjslv7q said:
Sgt. Largent":2tjslv7q said:
Teams that do well in the red zone are teams with playmakers that can use their athletic ability, height, body size, etc to win matchups. We faired better last year because Miller is a very good red zone target, and so was Rice.

This year? who do we have that can make a play in the red zone? NOBODY. It's either hope Russell outruns somebody, or Lynch can find some daylight. Our primary receivers are small and slow, not the best combo for winning matchups or breaking down zone defenses.
EXACTLY why the fade to Baldwin was such a totally shit call. Doug's a fine slot receiver, but NOT a fade catching type because he doesn't have the "height" and "athletic ability" to make that play. Bevell is part of the issue in the red zone in particular and on that play for sure. But I also agree that some of it is personnel too. We simply do not have a solid red zone receiving threat.

He might have the height and athletic ability to pull something like that off every now and again.

[youtube]6MGzsVKE44g[/youtube]

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":3s1x3qj0 said:
hawksfansinceday1":3s1x3qj0 said:
Sgt. Largent":3s1x3qj0 said:

He might have the height and athletic ability to pull something like that off every now and again.

[youtube]6MGzsVKE44g[/youtube]

What an incredible catch that was . . . love that play.

firebee

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2aenpvit said:
Actually, Favre had the best season of his career, by far, at age 40 under Bevell. He played through a shoulder injury during his final season and officially retired due to concussion concerns. Wilson has consistently gotten better until this rough patch he's hit this season. During the preseason, however, he looked like the best pocket passer in the NFL. Ask most outsiders, and they'd tell you the development of Wilson is the primary reason Bevell has HC buzz.

Anyway, you can credit for the above to anyone you like. Maybe that was all Childress and Carl Smith, I dunno. But to claim QBs regress once they work with him is factually inaccurate. Favre struggled with the Jets and in his final years with the Packers; looked like an MVP with the Vikings.

That year Favre had the best season of his career was the first year he came to Minnesota... I would credit a scrambling Favre behind and an all-pro offensive line with AP, Harvin, Rice and Berrian for Favre playing like he did that first year with Minnesota. Great scrambling quarterbacks make Bevell look good with their ability to improvise and not see the game the same way Bevell does until they start seeing the game the same way Bevell does. Then they begin regressing.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":2m66c064 said:
RolandDeschain":2m66c064 said:
I'd chime in here, but I'd just be ordered to list the candidates to replace him that are better.

Well it's definitely an element of the discussion that's missing and would provide a good bit of value.
It's a way of detracting from the real discussion, which is why a certain someone just throws it at me whenever I bring up something negative about Bevell.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I'm sure Pete already has a list of possible replacements in case his OC moves on.