In hindsight, should we have resigned Earl and Sherm?

getnasty

Reaction score
vigilantgrrl":25l0mtsc said:
For those who think we needed to ditch Sherm for Cap Space> Cap Space for what???? Luke freaking Joeckel? Ed Dickson who spent most of his time here injured. My God,,,,we are talking about a HOF, probably top cornerback of our era in Sherm. And while he was at odds with Carroll.....he was not a locker room cancer. Sherm was well respected. Sherm always took the younger DB's under his wing and helped them get better.

Sherman wasn't let go over 14 million, an injury, or decline of play. He was let go because he was a cancer. Like said before when you have an influential guy like him turn sour it can ruin a lockeroom. The fact that we went 9-7 in his last year was proof of that.

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2h0ckqrs said:
TwistedHusky":2h0ckqrs said:
Now we released Sherman, let him go to our rival, he immediately shores up one of the bigger weaknesses for the 49ers (secondary) and they end up in the SB instead of us.

Immediately shores up one of their biggest weaknesses?

PFF graded the Niners secondary last year as the worst in the entire league. So he shored up nothing other than his own position.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/1/9/1 ... iski-tartt

So knock off the revisionist history of how things went down. Because the reality of how it went down is that for the entire 2016 and 2017 season Sherman fought with his teammates, coaches and the local press. Then he got hurt, and Pete and John used it as an excuse to jettison an injured player that was set to make 14M a year AND was a royal pain in the ass.

Maybe if we had the cap space we do now Pete might have fought harder to mend the fences with both Sherman and Earl. But we didn't, we literally had no cap space, and if you want blame the FO for that? Sure, maybe they mismanaged the cap for a 2-3 year period putting us in a situation where we had no choice but to not offer Sherman and Earl a 3rd contract.

But with no cap space and having JUST gotten burned with Kam's 3rd contract that was going to haunt us for another two years? Hard to blame Pete and John for not wanting to give monster contracts to two aging DB's that were also pains in the ass.

He also was just coming back from an Achilles tear so there’s that tidbit

gabel

Reaction score
After watching Baltimore play Titans I would say that Earl is at the end of his career. He has lost a step and was man handled all game. In hindsight not signing him was smart.

I love Sherm but he was to big for his bridges and for the sake of the team it was time to move on.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
gabel":w0sdwosu said:
After watching Baltimore play Titans I would say that Earl is at the end of his career. He has lost a step and was man handled all game. In hindsight not signing him was smart..

Idk, Earl was a hell of a lead blocker for Henry on this play.

AgonizingFaithfulIceblueredtopzebra-size_restricted.gif

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Talk is cheap Earl. Same guy who said that whatever team they play in the Super Bowl is gonna' be in trouble. Oops

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Not resigning Sherman was a mistake. He was coming off injury and they could have gotten him for fairly cheap . CB is a need there's no other way to look at it. Flowers is not good they need to draft a CB . There will be a lot of talk about a pass rusher but lets be real there won't be much of anything left where Seattle is picking. They would be better served to take a CB or a Center with our first pick . I'd be fine with a LB with our first pick as well.

KJ and Wagner are not getting any younger . Barton has a long way to go to prove to me that he's got the chops to start on this defense. So to me it's CB , Center and LB that should be the priority. Britt if they can get him on the cheap he's adequate and you can take Center off the list this year anyway and concentrate on CB LB and an Edge rusher. I would not resign Reed i'd resign Jefferson and Clowney if possible. If we can't get Clowney then i'd sign Reed and Jefferson.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":1b8vnkfn said:
Not resigning Sherman was a mistake. He was coming off injury and they could have gotten him for fairly cheap .

You guys are amazing hindsight GM's.

Really? We should have resigned a disgruntled CB that was undermining and questioning Pete's decisionmaking and Russell's leadership that was coming off a major achilles injury in a year we had no salary cap because of bad trades and giving an enormous 3rd contract to Kam?

Is Sherman good now? Yep...........and believe me he's going to be asking the Niners to renegotiate his contract in a couple months. Highly doubt now that he has some leverage back he's going to be cool with playing 2020 for only 10M without an extension.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The after the fact, Hawks should have crap is so funny. Because he was so good in the locker room and never called anyone out. Plus he was coming off a torn Achilles. Had they signed him to a big extension, many people would have been calling the FO stupid, period. But he plays well after leaving, and that somehow means it was a mistake.
Then Frank Clark has a few good games....."It was a mistake to let him go"

olyfan63

Reaction score
Frank Clark, Go Chiefs!!
If he gets a key sack in the Owl for the Chiefs, their investment will have been worthwhile.
Clark was an awesome draft pick for us and got us a nice payback in that trade.
We need more Frank Clark's and fewer Malcom McDowells and Percy Harvins.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I would have been fine keeping both Sherm and Thomas. But i don't think it was a mistake to let them go. Production aside, they seemed unhappy with management.

It has worked out fine for everyone involved. All 3 (4 if you count Clark) teams/players made it to the postseason, with two in the Super Bowl.

Over time, Sherman and Thomas will look more fondly on their time in Seattle.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I hated to see them both go, but it was time. Sherman had become a real problem in the locker room after the Super Bowl loss (I heard this first-hand from someone on the team) and was causing division. Being on the wrong side of 30, in the last year of his deal, and coming off a major injury that many players do not come back from 100%, I completely understand why the Seahawks let him go and think they did what they had to do. Sherman beat the odds and bought in to his new team so he is flourishing. I don't think that would have happened if he remained on the Seahawks. He may have recovered physically, but I don't think think he would have stopped causing issues.

The Seahawks needed a refresh to get back to the culture Pete brought when he was hired. They could not do that with Sherman and Earl on the team.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Sherm's SB coverage is all over the place, and his latest fixation is blaming Jim Harbaugh for taking him off the draft board. Of course Jed had said something to him. Sherm psychologically needs to have an enemy he can prevail over. It's just that now, he's made that about enemies outside his current team.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Seems like Sherman has kept his mouth halfway shut this season. Of course they are headed to the owl so maybe that’s it. He had turned into a heck of a distraction here though.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2ogqnm8f said:
Seems like Sherman has kept his mouth halfway shut this season. Of course they are headed to the owl so maybe that’s it. He had turned into a heck of a distraction here though.

He has?

- Baker Mayfield handshake gate
- Hey look at how amazing I am with weekly PFF cornerback grades
- Twitter war with Revis
- Patting himself on the back for hitting all his incentives in his contract
- Complaining this week about being drug tested right before the SB

Sherman hasn't changed. Maybe he's toned it down a little because he's trying his hardest to not be too big of a distraction before the SB...........but make no mistake it's taking EVERY ounce of his self control.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Sherman won so far. I know we are all bitter or some are but he won so far. His team is in the superbowl and the hawks aren't. I don't need to hear opinions. He and his NEW team are playing for a chip. Our team hasnt been back since NE broke us.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":18evmilf said:
Sherman won so far. I know we are all bitter or some are but he won so far. His team is in the superbowl and the hawks aren't. I don't need to hear opinions. He and his NEW team are playing for a chip. Our team hasnt been back since NE broke us.

To make a correlation between Sherman leaving and us not getting back to the SB is a pretty big stretch don't you think?

Like HE'S the reason we aren't in the SB?

Good for Sherm. Love the guy as a player, hate his mouth. But I have no ill will towards him, other than when he plays us.

But in no world would he have been able to stay here and play under Pete and not be a pain in the ass undermining leadership and Russell.......even with a new contract. That relationship soured and it was time for him to move on.

Can't just look at his production in SF in a vacuum and think that's how he'd play here, or that's how he'd act here. It's not, goes for Earl too. All their friends left, they were pissed at Pete and the organization, and that bridge was burned.

It happens.

BASF

Reaction score
HawkFan72":24gfhk0y said:
The Seahawks needed a refresh to get back to the culture Pete brought when he was hired. They could not do that with Sherman and Earl on the team.

I hate quoting things just to quote things, but this is probably the most accurate statement I have seen on this board since returning to the forum. The culture of I'm In is essential to Carroll and the way he runs the team. After Bevell´s stupidity cost us a Super Bowl and Pete did not fire him, Sherman was no longer all in. A lot of fans have checked out of the all in mentality as well since that moment. You can not have a vocal leader on your team be against the all in mentality and Sherman made it abundantly clear in public that he was no longer all in. Earl ended up doing the same thing, but money was his motivation.

evergreen

Reaction score
I think most people are missing the boat on this. We shouldn't have kept them, BUT we should've gotten proper compensation for them! They should've been traded when they were most valuable on the market, like in 2016/2017. That D was old and done in 2017. We knew going in we shouldn't give these guys their third contract. It's tough when you have four or five HOF players to pay. You can't keep them all. We kept Bobby and Russ. BTW that DVOA #1 defense was never the same when Bobby wasn't out there. So we kept the right players we just magificently bungled the compensation end. What did we get for the LOB? a 7th and a 3rd?! Not enough.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
BASF":l8tbzkbx said:
HawkFan72":l8tbzkbx said:

I hate quoting things just to quote things, but this is probably the most accurate statement I have seen on this board since returning to the forum. The culture of I'm In is essential to Carroll and the way he runs the team. After Bevell´s stupidity cost us a Super Bowl and Pete did not fire him, Sherman was no longer all in. A lot of fans have checked out of the all in mentality as well since that moment. You can not have a vocal leader on your team be against the all in mentality and Sherman made it abundantly clear in public that he was no longer all in. Earl ended up doing the same thing, but money was his motivation.

Its hard for some players to buy into the 'all in' mantra when the person preaching it doesnt act in kind. A call so horrendous, that cost the team a Super Bowl, should be grounds for some type of action, but nothing was ever done. That coach even went as far as throwing the players under the bus and taking no responsibility for the outcome, yet Pete sided with him. Immediately after that play, I said that Pete needs to get rid of Bevell right away or he would lose the locker room. Lo and behold,,,,,

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
they needed to go. Pete lost the locker room, both Sherman and Thomas didn't respect Carroll. Bennett, Sherman, and Thomas were very outspoken, and they definitely threw shades at the HC. Thomas and Sherman were both in their 30s and coming off of bad injuries along with this extra baggage. Carroll had no choice but to get rid of them.

Thomas in particular wasn't that good this year, in fact in some stretches he was bad. Sherman recovered but signing him at his age with the achilles injury and baggage was a non-starter. I think it was best for both parties to go different ways. Sherman and Giffin paired with Diggs and McDougald is fun to think about --- but I don't think it would have worked out as well as things did in San Francisco due to disregard and sometimes even contempt Sherman showed for Carroll towards the end of his tenure here.

Latest posts