In hindsight, should we have resigned Earl and Sherm?

massari

Reaction score
@7:06

Marshall says losing big egos who cause turmoil like Sherman and Baldwin helped Wilson

[youtube]eSBttG1Ewt4[/youtube]

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Sherm pretty much had that entire portion of the field shut down to the Chiefs last night. Until it came to the point the Chiefs were desperate for a big play to get back in it. That's when Sherm got toasted. Chiefs cashed in and were on their way.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
evergreen":3jd5h4tk said:
I think most people are missing the boat on this. We shouldn't have kept them, BUT we should've gotten proper compensation for them! They should've been traded when they were most valuable on the market, like in 2016/2017. That D was old and done in 2017. We knew going in we shouldn't give these guys their third contract. It's tough when you have four or five HOF players to pay. You can't keep them all. We kept Bobby and Russ. BTW that DVOA #1 defense was never the same when Bobby wasn't out there. So we kept the right players we just magificently bungled the compensation end. What did we get for the LOB? a 7th and a 3rd?! Not enough.

This is most definitely true, and led directly to Frank being traded when he was.

Pete and John learned their lesson with star players that aren't in the team's long range plans.........you trade them at the top of the market, not at the bottom after they get hurt.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
IN hindsight, I think what hurt us even more is squandering away our draft capital in the early rounds with questionable picks, a lot who could have been had in later rounds. Perhaps the Hawks were afraid those later picks we did take wouln't be available had we gone with someone else earlier.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
BASF":36g8dush said:
HawkFan72":36g8dush said:
The Seahawks needed a refresh to get back to the culture Pete brought when he was hired. They could not do that with Sherman and Earl on the team.

I hate quoting things just to quote things, but this is probably the most accurate statement I have seen on this board since returning to the forum. The culture of I'm In is essential to Carroll and the way he runs the team. After Bevell´s stupidity cost us a Super Bowl and Pete did not fire him, Sherman was no longer all in. A lot of fans have checked out of the all in mentality as well since that moment. You can not have a vocal leader on your team be against the all in mentality and Sherman made it abundantly clear in public that he was no longer all in. Earl ended up doing the same thing, but money was his motivation.

I agree with these comments.

I shall add one thing. Sherman is a leader on their team. He has melded them into what we had with the players they have acquired during the last several years into a force. They are not Elite per se, but they are good enough to win.

One more thing, you dont start off the year with all the issues we started with and go thru the season with the injuries we have had and win 11 or more games....Oh WAIT. :twisted: :stirthepot: