Instant reaction: Seahawks take Penny, 49ers spoil trade?

Greenhell

Reaction score
I love the pick as well. The fact that he's superb at kick returns adds so much value to the team. Creating a short field increases scoring opportunities.

I can't wait to see him on the field. We can only hope that o-line is even slightly better at opening holes.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
A closer look at how a RB can be hyped as the best thing since sliced bread, but when you take a closer look at stats you find he may not be the best after all. The stats say Barkley is indeed a very good RB, however, Rashaad Penney beats him (and all of the other RB's) when you look at the performance statistics. I saw Mike Mayock say on TV, when discussing the Penney pick that Mr. Penney was the second best return guy behind Sequon Barkley. I really like Mike Mayock a lot but he, like others, spouts hype about such an all-world RB like Barkley that doesn't hold up to a closer look. I think Mike Mayock just thought Barkley was a superman RB, so he must be a superman return guy as well. However, hype overriding facts is never a good look IMO.

On to the statistical comparisons:

----Rashaad Penney, 2017 rushing;
13-games, 289/2248/7.78-ypc, 23-TD's, 22.23-carries/game, 172.92-yds./game.
Situational stats: long-95-yds, 81 for 1-st downs, 58 for 10+yds, 29 for 20+yds.
5-100-yd. games, 6-200-yd games and 2 games with: 53 & 69.
--Additionally, Penney is #6 in career-yards-per-rush average in the NCAA since 1956, that’s over 60 years, with a career 7.5-yds per rush average.

----Sequon Barkley, 2017 rushing; (56.5% of Penney’s rushing yards)
13-games, 217/1271/5.86-ypc, 18-TD's, 16.69 carries/game, 97.77-yds./game.
Situational stats; long-92-yds., 49 for 1-st downs, 29 for 10+, 14 for 20+
4-100-yd. games, 1-200-yd. games and 8 games with: 88, 47, 56, 75, 44, 63, 35 & 77.

----Rashaad Penney, 2017 receiving;
19/132/6.95, 2-TD's, 1.5-receptions/game, 10.15-yds/game
----Sequon Barkley, 2017 receiving;
54/632/11,70, 3-TD's, 4.2-receptions/game, 48.6-yds. game. (Finally Barkley wins one).
--They threw the ball to Barkley more, does that make him superman?)

----Rashaad Penney, 2017 KO returns:
17 returns for 582-yds. a 30.65 average & 2-TD's.
----Sequan Barkley, 2017 KO returns:
15 returns for 426-yds. a 28.40 average & 2-TD's.

----Rashaad Penney, Punt returns:
2 returns for 70-yds. & 1-TD
----Saquon Barcley, Punt returns:
None.

----Rashaad Penney, Total All Purpose Yards, 2107.
rushing 2248-yds, receiving 132, KO returns 521, punt returns 70.
327 total plays, 2971-yds, 9.1-yds/play, 228.5-yds/game
(50-yds a game and 1 full yard on every play more than Barkley)

----Saquon Barcley, Total All Purpose Yards, 2017 (78.3% of Penney’s yards.)
rushing 1271-yds, receiving 632-yds, KO returns 426, punt returns 0
286 total plays, 2329-yds, 8.1-yds/play, 179.2-yds/game.

If you have read this far, you’ve probably seen that Rashaad Penney beats out Saquon Barkley in almost EVERY statistical catergory. The KO return category may turn out to be the real clincher. I give it a 1 in 4 chance that the 1-st time Rashaad Penney touches the ball in his very 1-st game, that he will take it all the way. After all, he had 2 of them last year and is exciting every time he touches the ball. Hang on for one hell of a ride in both the rushing category and the return category, Penney has illustrated that he can pretty much do it all. Oh, and he'll learn to be a great blocker.

KO returns are important but, unknown to some, the Seahawks just got one of the best ever. Penney is tied for #1 in the NCAA since 1976 (over 40 years) with 7 career KO return TD's. Penney is #4 in the NCAA since 1976 (over 40 years) with a 30.23-yd. average KO return.

I have a feeling that a lot of people didn’t look at Barkley’s body of work too much, everyone was hyped about his leaping over a few guys and making some flashy plays, some of which could get him killed in the NFL. Barkley is a really great back, but in my opinion Penney is not only a better running back but he fits the Seahawks system extremely well. All signs from the players selected & signed as UDFA's, this will be the year of the running game being #1.

All of the above statistics are from cfbstats.com which is one of my favorite sites, there is an amazing amount of information there once you learn where to find it.
:smilingalien:

toffee

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":8r9i8pbv said:
A closer look at how a RB can be hyped as the best thing since sliced bread, but when you take a closer look at stats you find he may not be the best after all. The stats say Barkley is indeed a very good RB, however, Rashaad Penney beats him (and all of the other RB's) when you look at the performance statistics. I saw Mike Mayock say on TV, when discussing the Penney pick that Mr. Penney was the second best return guy behind Sequon Barkley. I really like Mike Mayock a lot but he, like others, spouts hype about such an all-world RB like Barkley that doesn't hold up to a closer look. I think Mike Mayock just thought Barkley was a superman RB, so he must be a superman return guy as well. However, hype overriding facts is never a good look IMO.

On to the statistical comparisons:

----Rashaad Penney, 2017 rushing;
13-games, 289/2248/7.78-ypc, 23-TD's, 22.23-carries/game, 172.92-yds./game.
Situational stats: long-95-yds, 81 for 1-st downs, 58 for 10+yds, 29 for 20+yds.
5-100-yd. games, 6-200-yd games and 2 games with: 53 & 69.
--Additionally, Penney is #6 in career-yards-per-rush average in the NCAA since 1956, that’s over 60 years, with a career 7.5-yds per rush average.

----Sequon Barkley, 2017 rushing; (56.5% of Penney’s rushing yards)
13-games, 217/1271/5.86-ypc, 18-TD's, 16.69 carries/game, 97.77-yds./game.
Situational stats; long-92-yds., 49 for 1-st downs, 29 for 10+, 14 for 20+
4-100-yd. games, 1-200-yd. games and 8 games with: 88, 47, 56, 75, 44, 63, 35 & 77.

----Rashaad Penney, 2017 receiving;
19/132/6.95, 2-TD's, 1.5-receptions/game, 10.15-yds/game
----Sequon Barkley, 2017 receiving;
54/632/11,70, 3-TD's, 4.2-receptions/game, 48.6-yds. game. (Finally Barkley wins one).
--They threw the ball to Barkley more, does that make him superman?)

----Rashaad Penney, 2017 KO returns:
17 returns for 582-yds. a 30.65 average & 2-TD's.
----Sequan Barkley, 2017 KO returns:
15 returns for 426-yds. a 28.40 average & 2-TD's.

----Rashaad Penney, Punt returns:
2 returns for 70-yds. & 1-TD
----Saquon Barcley, Punt returns:
None.

----Rashaad Penney, Total All Purpose Yards, 2107.
rushing 2248-yds, receiving 132, KO returns 521, punt returns 70.
327 total plays, 2971-yds, 9.1-yds/play, 228.5-yds/game
(50-yds a game and 1 full yard on every play more than Barkley)

----Saquon Barcley, Total All Purpose Yards, 2017 (78.3% of Penney’s yards.)
rushing 1271-yds, receiving 632-yds, KO returns 426, punt returns 0
286 total plays, 2329-yds, 8.1-yds/play, 179.2-yds/game.

If you have read this far, you’ve probably seen that Rashaad Penney beats out Saquon Barkley in almost EVERY statistical catergory. The KO return category may turn out to be the real clincher. I give it a 1 in 4 chance that the 1-st time Rashaad Penney touches the ball in his very 1-st game, that he will take it all the way. After all, he had 2 of them last year and is exciting every time he touches the ball. Hang on for one hell of a ride in both the rushing category and the return category, Penney has illustrated that he can pretty much do it all. Oh, and he'll learn to be a great blocker.

KO returns are important but, unknown to some, the Seahawks just got one of the best ever. Penney is tied for #1 in the NCAA since 1976 (over 40 years) with 7 career KO return TD's. Penney is #4 in the NCAA since 1976 (over 40 years) with a 30.23-yd. average KO return.

I have a feeling that a lot of people didn’t look at Barkley’s body of work too much, everyone was hyped about his leaping over a few guys and making some flashy plays, some of which could get him killed in the NFL. Barkley is a really great back, but in my opinion Penney is not only a better running back but he fits the Seahawks system extremely well. All signs from the players selected & signed as UDFA's, this will be the year of the running game being #1.

All of the above statistics are from cfbstats.com which is one of my favorite sites, there is an amazing amount of information there once you learn where to find it.
:smilingalien:

Anyone got insight on all his so call skinny legs? I did a google search ... didn’t see any image with unproportional legs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
hawks85":1a11igf2 said:
SanDiego49er":1a11igf2 said:
You have made a great, great pick. Don't pay attention to the fools to think they know something about Rashaad Penny. I live here in San Diego. I have season tickets to the San Diego State Aztecs. I've seen every game he played both home and away in person and on TV. Rashaad Penny is the REAL DEAL!

5'11" 220 lbs. 4.46 forty yard dash. 2,248 yards rushing, 23 TD's. 7 kick return TD's (tied for an FBS record). He also had punt return TD's in addition to that. Which is all the more impressive when you consider they were terrified to even kick to him. They did not kick to him. If they kicked to him he would have 15 return TD's. He is awesome on special teams and awesome as a RB too.

He catches so good that they would line him up wide and send him deep sometimes. Plus he makes plays that way. They thought at one time of putting him at WR because he catches so well.

Stop paying attention to the FOOLS who think they know something about Penny. He is pretty much on par with Barkley for explosive plays. He may have more yards than Barkley. I could see him be offensive rookie of the year. He has the ability. He's hugely explosive with great vision and moves. The so called "experts" and "analysts" just watch nationally televised games. Therefore they see USC, LSU, Georgia and others and assume (wrongly) that those guys are great or better than Penny (they are not). Penny is just from a less known program, does not get the exposure, does not get the nationally televised games. Both posters on here and analysts suffer from this problem. They have not seen him play and they think they so called experts are right. They are wrong!

I will tell you this. Your GM said they would pick him at #18. He is worth every bit of that. He's a STEAL at #27. In fact if he stays healthy and you build your O Line a bit around him people will look back at this draft and wonder why he was picked #27. Because truth be told he is FAR BETTER THAN THAT. You just got a top 10 - 15 player in this draft. He will go to Pro Bowls if he can stay healthy. I wish we got him. But you did. Good for you.

The guys who are complaining about this are soon to be proven badly wrong. Wait and see!

:D
I concur, this guy is a monster. A steal for sure. Everybody was bitchin last year about our run game, now we have a hell of a good back.

He's really special man. He will be great and a fan favorite too. He is a good character guy too. So it's easy to cheer for him. Once he plays some games over time people will see it. I have no idea if people will see it in game 1 of the rookie year. Sometimes guys are nervous in their first pro game. But I think over time most of the board here will for sure come on board with Penny. He is simply too good not to like. They will LOVE him. He will be one of the absolute favorite players on your team and one of the best ones too.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
When a fan of another NFL team goes on an opposing teams blog to congratulate them on a particular draft pick, that is indicative of your admiration of a great player that you wish had been selected by your team. This is great to hear from a football fan that has seen a lot of Penney's games. It is obvious that you are a real fan of good football as well as a fan of Rashaad Penney. With great respect, Thank you very much SanDiego49er.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":dxuvzllt said:
When a fan of another NFL team goes on an opposing teams blog to congratulate them on a particular draft pick, that is indicative of your admiration of a great player that you wish had been selected by your team. This is great to hear from a football fan that has seen a lot of Penney's games. It is obvious that you are a real fan of good football as well as a fan of Rashaad Penney. With great respect, Thank you very much SanDiego49er.

Yeah he will be really special I think. He's just a super star. Just an all world player. I will definitely watch him a lot and follow him a lot with you guys. People just didn't see him play. They are not familiar with him because San Diego State doesn't get lots of nationally televised games. Plus it is not as big a name of a program as some of the other places where RB's were coming from. But he's better than all those guys. Only Barkley I would put in his same class athletically. And he's not far off from that. I would not be surprised to see him have as much or more production than Barkley. He certainly did in College.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well lower tier programs have had great running backs make the HOF, Guys like Jim Brown went to Syracuse, Walter Payton Jackson State are a couple.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
chris98251":x6wj5mgg said:
Well lower tier programs have had great running backs make the HOF, Guys like Jim Brown went to Syracuse, Walter Payton Jackson State are a couple.

Marshall Faulk went to San Diego State. Him and Rashaad Penny are the best ever from San Diego State. So even San Diego State has had a guy if you want to go there.

sdog1981

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":34slquod said:
chris98251":34slquod said:

Marshall Faulk went to San Diego State. Him and Rashaad Penny are the best ever from San Diego State. So even San Diego State has had a guy if you want to go there.

Mod edit.

Syracuse was a major football power when Jim Brown went there. Yes as crazy as it sounds Syracuse was a bigger football school than basketball school at one point.

chris98251

Reaction score
sdog1981":7btma9hc said:
SanDiego49er":7btma9hc said:
chris98251":7btma9hc said:

Talk about historical ignorance.

Syracuse was a major football power when Jim Brown went there. Yes as crazy as it sounds Syracuse was a bigger football school than basketball school at one point.

We were talking relevence in the era of sports now, Syracuse, Colgate, Boston College, Grambling, Jackson State, the list goes on all contributed to pro football before money and TV became the motovation for college programs instead of education and then football. NFL players until the 70's didn't make the money they do now and often had a job as well as their football income to make ends meet.

Same could be said for Pro Basketball where Elgin Baylor came from Seattle U and Bill Russell from San Francisco University.

Oh and if you want to pick a fight and call people ignorant then be warned, I won't play nice.