Interesting RW quote

Broncos_Fan

Reaction score
So my question is....does Russell get more cheers or boos when he steps onto the field a week from Monday?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Bingo that's correct Wilson signed an extension so he is there for 7 years at an avg of 42 mill. A great deal for both sides. Soon Wilson will be even further behind them as the other QBs up get their deals.
That's just "da costa doin' business" for Russ. Terrible deal financially for Wilson, but he'd have less of a chance to cement his legacy if he held out for more.

John63

Reaction score
So my question is....does Russell get more cheers or boos when he steps onto the field a week from Monday?
Depends on how many morons are there who believe some of the garbage and cherry-picking going on. He should not but I am guessing it will be mixed.

Last edited:

CPHawk

Reaction score
Here are the top QB contracts per overthecap.com - https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback
Seriously, Kyler Murray at $46M year avg?....this is a huge problem. He threw for 24 TDs and 10 INT last season. He's definitely not worth that money.

Figuring in RW's new contract extension ($42.3M/yr avg), he's still behind Rodgers, Murray, Watson, Mahomes, and Allen.
Hmm get back to me when Herbert wins a play off game, throws less than double digit ints, has over 100 passer. Herbert is a volume passer not a great qb
......yet
If Herbert had a D, much less one like Russ had his first 4-5 years, he would have won a lot of playoff games.

But let’s count all the playoff wins Russ has without the LOB. 1 win, and has missed the playoffs twice, including a losing season last year.

Last edited:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
If Herbert had a D, much less one like Russ had his first 4-5 years, he would have won a lot of playoff games.

But let’s count all the playoff wins Russ has without the LOB. 1 win, and has missed the playoffs twice, including a losing season last year
Deshaun Watson and Kyler Murray have 1 playoff win combined. Yet they are $46M players. At least while RW was the QB the Seahawks have made the playoffs 8 of the 10 years. Probably would have been 9 if not an injury last season.

camdawg

Reaction score
Depends on how many morons are there who believe some of the garbage and cherry-picking going on. He should not but I am guessing it will be mixed.
He'll probably hear a lot of booing. But, I for one won't be booing him. I'll be booing our old, bitter enemy from the AFC West. By extension, that will include Russell.

Would be a lot of fun to pull the upset and hurt the feelings of their fans and an old Horse-faced quarterback.

John63

Reaction score

But let’s count all the playoff wins Russ has without the LOB. 1 win, and has missed the playoffs twice, including a losing season last year.
Yeah, we can play the what if all you want. IF PC had let Wilson off the lash more we would have won several Sbs. Also, He only had a great defense for 3 years nice try though. AS to counting all the playoff wins without LOB it would still be more than Herbert.

Broncos_Fan

Reaction score
He'll probably hear a lot of booing. But, I for one won't be booing him. I'll be booing our old, bitter enemy from the AFC West. By extension, that will include Russell.

Would be a lot of fun to pull the upset and hurt the feelings of their fans and an old Horse-faced quarterback.
This is your super bowl. It's the best game to play the Broncos if you're the Seahawks. Denver has a new head coach who has never been a head coach. They have a new offensive coordinator who has never been an offensive coordinator. They have a new defensive coordinator who has never been a defensive coordinator. None of the starters played in the preseason, and it's in Seattle. I still think the Broncos win it but I think it will be a lot closer than people in Denver are thinking. Should be a great game.

Fade

Reaction score
Pulling a John63 with the Norton thing, huh? I'll let you play with it a Lil longer before that myth gets busted.

And if I'm weaving something, please tell me which of those points I made in that post is incorrect? Rather than, in vintage J63 fashion, pointing to an article that references some stat or writer's fan boy opinion that Russ is among the football Gods, and throwing that down as a defense.

Just tell me which of those points is incorrect.

And you throw around nonsensical claims like him having to play with historically bad running games??? He had one year when we had zero running backs and he accounted for our offense. Good on him. He was superman that year.

And the historically bad defenses you're referencing (the last 2 years) coincided with the historically pass happy offenses that were historically atrocious at picking up 3rd downs, holding the ball, and sustaining drives. This is again, Fact. Look it up. The stats are there and the eyes saw it in 2020 when we went from historically bad, to making one of the greatest turnarounds in performance ever over the last half of the season when we stopped giving opposing teams the ball after forcing deep shots and punting over and over again.

You could see it again last year when our 'historically bad ' defense was again matched with a historically bad offense when it cake to staying on the field or moving the chains... we might have actually been 31st in the league... before Russ got hurt.

But Russ looked great and the offense was ranked what... #1 in scoring and big plays? Cool. But when you put up 21 points in a quarter on drives that combined, last 4 minutes, and then go three and out on the rest (this is factually what we did last year) and the other team possesses the ball for 9 minutes of a quarter... well, when your offense isn't on the field, your defense is.

Our D was historically bad IN PART because they were literally dealt a historically bad hand. The other part had to do with a DC who misused players, lacked creativity, and struggled to communicate concepts.

And still that defense was near top 10 in points allowed - a stat that wouldn't be achievable if not for the fact that part of the reason they looked so bad was in fact due to the offense. THERE ISNT ANY OTHER WAY THAT CAN HAPPEN.

But getting back to Russ and that superman year when Russ was the whole offense on the ground and in the air. You know what made him great? The fact that he still ran then. And he did, because he HAD to that year. I and others have pointed to the fact that when you take away his wheels (or he puts them on the shelf), and tries to go Brady, he can't. And he hasn't. To my point about his 3rd down struggles... the Only years he was ever ranked 'well ' were the years he ran. So when Pete was going on and on about running more, and the Wilson cheerleaders were all up in arms because Pete hates exciting offense and was stifling Russ's potential... he was actually tracking EXACTLY the truth about Russ's game. Boom or bust ( ie, can't sustain drives) and crap on 3rd down unless there's a running game ( and Russ contributing).

As to that article... classic, and comical deflection

This is the thing, Fade, youve criticized Pete for being a coach who plays to the one score game... that that's his Schtick... what he's setup to do and what what he's built the team to do, to Russ's detriment. Then, when we are good at it, historically good, because that's how we HAD to win, you throw up a post giving Wilson the credit, and then use that as proof of his greatness??

Again, how about stick to the points I made and attack them if I'm weaving 'yarns'

But don't go posting random articles and standing on them, John63 style. I always thought you head and shoulders above him in your ability to make and defend points. But to use that?

Its like posting an article about Russ being the 2nd youngest QB to win a SB... as if he and Big Ben both weren't just riding the backs of their respective defenses and running games.

Same for that stat about being the winning winningest Qb through x seasons.

Or the top rated qb when facing elite qbs...

Do this, find me the article that talks about how great Russ is in converting 3rd downs, or dissecting a defense and slowly carving them up into submission... you know, like Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Brees, Manning, etc have all had written about them.

Russ is who he is.

Not who he'd like himself to be.
Russ's 3rd down conversions, huh?

You realize he played for Pete Carroll, who routinely gives up on 3rd down and is cool will punting for 3 quarters of the game?

That is going to effect the QB's 3rd down conversion rate.

Throw for throw, play for play, he grades with Rodgers and Brady. Over a 3 year window, this is not a small sample size.

hawkfan68

Reaction score

You realize he played for Pete Carroll, who routinely gives up on 3rd down and is cool will punting for 3 quarters of the game?

Throw for throw, play for play, he grades with Rodgers and Brady. Over a 3 year window, this is not a small sample size.
Here's an article on QBs who convert on 3rd downs and those who don't - Geno and Drew didn't make the list because neither had the required passing attempts. But the article said they were both worse than Davis Mills who was ranked #32 on the list. Russell Wilson was #4 on the list -

"Just looking at third down completion percentage, Mills had a respectable 63.6 on third down. However, of his 70 third down completions only 40 resulted in a first down - He dropped back to pass 131 times on third down and only 43 of those plays resulted in a first down (40 by pass, three on scrambles). His 32.8 percent conversion rate on third down dropbacks was one of the worst in the league among starters (min 50 third down attempts) - 30th of 35. Only Sam Darnold, Taylor Heinicke, Jared Goff, Zach Wilson and Justin Fields were worse. It should be noted that Wilson and Fields were drafted much higher than Mills in 2021. Patrick Mahomes was the best in the league with almost half (49.4 percent) of his third down dropbacks resulting in a first down (75 by pass and 10 on scrambles).

Relative to Mills, both of the quarterbacks fighting for the Seahawks starting job in 2022 were worse at converting on 3rd down in 2021, in case you care. Neither had the required 50 passing attempts on 3rd down, though."

Last edited:

Hawkpower

Reaction score
This is your super bowl. It's the best game to play the Broncos if you're the Seahawks. Denver has a new head coach who has never been a head coach. They have a new offensive coordinator who has never been an offensive coordinator. They have a new defensive coordinator who has never been a defensive coordinator. None of the starters played in the preseason, and it's in Seattle. I still think the Broncos win it but I think it will be a lot closer than people in Denver are thinking. Should be a great game.
Making excuses already? That was quick.
If Seattle wins its because they are the better team and because Russ just isnt very good anymore

John63

Reaction score

Every team PC has been HC for has been bad on 3rd down. Part of the reason is every team PC has been HC for has been amongst the tops in 3rd and long.

So let's look at this all Qbs not named Wilson who played for HC PC in NY, NE, and Seattle

50% complete and 75 passer rating on 3rd down, the success rate on throwing on 3rd down and getting it 28%. Took time but appears 60% were 3rd and 5+ and 38% were 3rd and 9+

Wilson 60% complt, 92% passer, 44% success(league avg 40%), 65% of third down passes were third and 5+, 43% were 3rd and 9 plus(FYI the 3rd and 9+ led the league, and the third and 5+ was top 2). We all know we were top 5 in running on first and 2nd down almost every year.

Last edited:

John63

Reaction score
Here's an article on QBs who convert on 3rd downs and those who don't - Geno and Drew didn't make the list because neither had the required passing attempts. But the article said they were both worse than Davis Mills who was ranked #32 on the list. Russell Wilson was #4 on the list -

"Just looking at third down completion percentage, Mills had a respectable 63.6 on third down. However, of his 70 third down completions only 40 resulted in a first down - He dropped back to pass 131 times on third down and only 43 of those plays resulted in a first down (40 by pass, three on scrambles). His 32.8 percent conversion rate on third down dropbacks was one of the worst in the league among starters (min 50 third down attempts) - 30th of 35. Only Sam Darnold, Taylor Heinicke, Jared Goff, Zach Wilson and Justin Fields were worse. It should be noted that Wilson and Fields were drafted much higher than Mills in 2021. Patrick Mahomes was the best in the league with almost half (49.4 percent) of his third down dropbacks resulting in a first down (75 by pass and 10 on scrambles).

Relative to Mills, both of the quarterbacks fighting for the Seahawks starting job in 2022 were worse at converting on 3rd down in 2021, in case you care. Neither had the required 50 passing attempts on 3rd down, though."
WHAA I thought he sucked at 3rd down how can this be? Oh, wait I know because it was never true.

John63

Reaction score
Making excuses already? That was quick.
If Seattle wins its because they are the better team and because Russ just isnt very good anymore
And if Denver wins it's because they are the better team, and Wilson has plenty left, right? All that said I want Seattle to win but Wilson plays great. that would mess up both our scenarios lol